Men shaving legs?

Hi Stuart!

This refers back to your message to Akram about men removing body hair which dates back to more than 2000 years ago. I recently was looking at the pocket edition of the Kama Sutra by Anne Hopper and some of the ancient Indian illustrations in the book. They clearly show that the male had smooth bodies–no body hair on the chest, arms, pubes and legs but some facial hair! I also looked closely at the modern models used in the book and most of them have smooth chests, arms and almost no leg hair. One of the male models has no leg hair–he must have shaved or waxed, while others have extremely little leg or arm hair. Maybe, this was a requirement for being included in the book!

Anyways, I’ve heard that the ancient Greeks and Romans also used some form of body shaving to make it easier to treat battle wounds or maybe, they just did it to look good and show off their muscles. The ancient Egyptians also plucked hairs from every imaginable place upon entering adulthood as a means of self-purification. From this historical context, it could be argued that male hair removal has a very long tradition and indeed is very manly! Do you have any idea why and when men stopped removing body hair? It would also be interesting to know what the preferred hair removal methods were used in ancient times and if there are any good websites which chronicle the removal of body hair.

Rgds,

smoothlover

Hi Josh

When I read your post I get most angry. Nobody has the right to tease you or call you gay or anything else. Shaved legs are normal where I live. I will and can break a man’s neck if he were to play those sort of games with me. I do not in any way suggest you act agresivly, but please do not let these idiots intimidate you. If you need my help I am here.

Kind Regards
Stuart

Hi Josh and Stuart!

I second Stuart’s post–it really infuriates me that some people are so ignorant and go around making such comments. It just shows how stupid some people are. You shouldn’t let such comments get under your skin because these people are not worth the time of day! Having said that, I realize that such things do bother me and are hard to ignore. Just remember that you have a lot of support on this forum–the individuals here are a “voice of reason” and I think a lot of people have similar worries about how others will react to their body shaving and feel inhibited to have the appearance that they want.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I’m tall and rather skinny–I have a typical runner’s build and also worry about such remarks or being called gay. I’ve been thinking about doing some kind of body building to look a little “tougher” or meaner–it’s kinda crazy that I’m considering doing this in order to shave legs or arms but I recall RJC and veinlover writing that nobody would mess around with them because of their muscular build.

RJC and the rest of you body builders–could you recommend any basic routines for building up a little bulk fast to the chest, legs and arms??? I’m not really interested in looking like a wrestler or anything, just developing a little more bulk to justify the smooth look.

It might also be a good idea if we come up with some “comebacks” for dealing with such idiots. I’ve thought about the so-called tough guy attitude like “you looking at ME, or you got a problem, buddy?” but it could be dangerous. Maybe, humor would be a better method–“sorry, but I only date women” or just try to embarass them.

Regards,

smoothlover

Hi Smoothlover

Traditionally from what I have read, hair removal was buy plucking the hair from the male body. Hair on legs and chest was definitly not the way of the greeks or Egyptions. I may be wrong, but I believe hair removal was for purposes of battle. That is certainly not unmanly. Obviosly these men had no razors other than a blade.

Josh as for you, from my perspective I believe you should shave your legs and go about with good humour - thats what I try to do. In my last post I really lost my temper which is very wrong. These fools that are giving you a hard time are just that.

Why not shave your legs and just grin at them next time somebody gets foolish. Leg hair looks dirty and stupid in my opinion. I have only had one man make fun of me once. He was forty something with a big pot belly. I stand 6 foot tall and weght around 85 kilograms. This guy was an idiot and I stared him straight down, like you should those other fools that lauagh at you.

Smoothlover

Don’t Try to be a bodybuilder. You dont need that to shave your legs. Be a man and just laughh at anybody that kids you.

Josh the same for you.

Kind Regards
Stuart

Smoothlover, Stuart is right! You don’t need to take up bodybuilding to shave your legs. But nothing is wrong with lifting weights a little bit to get in better shape for summer. Or maybe take up running if that’s what you prefer and you have the runner’s build.

Even bicylcling could give you some muscular definition. Or get a set of dumbells and do some lunges. You could do squats but lunges are probably safer for the novice. You could also do some calf-raises for the lower legs.

Don’t neglect the upper body. Dumbell triceps extensions for the rear of the upper arm and bicep curls for the front would be a good start.

If you want to look meaner, you could always shave your head. You may or may not want to do that. If you ever get that male pattern baldness it’s the way to go.

BTW, that is a great comeback…“I only date women.” That would shut them up for sure LOL! With that comeback it puts the burden on him to explain why he is obsessed with your body shaving. Is he coming on to you? That’s what others might think with those comments, so maybe he won’t make them any more.

RJC2001

Hi Stuart and RJC!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the body building tips, RJC! I actually used to be a serious cross country runner but a knee injury put a damper on my running. I actually have a bit of muscle tone on the calves but adding a bit of bulk wouldn’t hurt either! I find that cycling puts less stress on the knee than running but I guess that I’d have to do it more regularly to build up the muscles a bit. Maybe, lifting some dumbells would be a good solution, as well as doing some kind of workout for the abs. Being smooth really shows muscle definition and if that’s what most women look at, the smooth look just makes sense because it shows off muscle tone so much better than being covered by all that hair.

You’re both right that one doesn’t have to be a body builder to have a smooth appearance but there are a lot of idiots out there like the ones that Josh wrote about. It really is weird that some other men seem so interested in a man’s smooth legs and embarassing them could stop them in their tracks and prevent such comments in the future.

If you guys have any other good comebacks, then please share them with the rest of us!

Take care

smoothlover

Hi Smoothlover

In my opinion, we should not need comebacks at all. Reasonably fit young men of all ages should be able to shave theirs legs and bodies without any need for the fools comments. I would still like to fly to where Josh is and lend him a hand with those guys in the theme park I might admit! But we all have to face circumstance as well. Nobody is fully immune to teasing and peer pressure including me.

I have fortunatly never reacted violently to any fools or idiots either here or in the US, and neither should any of us. If you wish to stay fit this is perfectly fine, but lets not use this as some form of an excuse to shave our legs or any ther body part. This is our right and no one has the right to remove this from any member of this forum.

Feel free to shave and do so with pride. I hope all the long and not so long standing members agree. We are all free to live our lives as we see fit and not dictated by others.

Regards
Stuart

Hi Smoothlover

I also used to run cross country a lot. I ended up hurting my knees quite a bit as a result, which is one of the reasons cycling as a sport became attrative. Generally cycling favours a lean build and men who cycle like me are slim. I do have the favour of height and more weight than most which I suppose stop a lot of teasing that may happen.

To build bulk RJC is correct. Some dumbells are normally all you need with a few manual presses. Don’t try these “machines” that are commonly advertised as I don’t believe they work. When I was younger I used dumbells with leg streches to increase muscle tone and buildup. Diet is important as well. Exercise without eating won’t help. Try carbohydrates instead of too many proteins.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Stuart

I agree about the machines. Over here in the US there is a machine called “Bowflex” that uses bendable plastic rods instead of weights. It is heavily advertised on TV and they are very expensive, with some models costing well over $1000 US. They work in that they provide progressive resistance, but I think they are overpriced. I went to a sporting goods store to try one. They feel strange compared to weights. There is almost no resistance at the beginning of the movement and it keeps increasing throughout the movement. Now they have a new model called Bowflex Revolution, it is advertised as being more like free weights, all for the super low price of $2,499! I think I would stick to the original for a lot less money!

I didn’t mean to go to far off topic, but Stuart made a good point about the machines.

The main point is, weights or not, cycling or not, you can still shave. You need to do what suits you the best.

RJC2001

You guys are throwing this topic around of reacting to comments. The whole idea of reacting negatively and aggressively is really a wrong turn. And I’m a pretty aggressive and competitive person saying that. React the opposite.

It all comes down to confidence, you behave like you’ve looked like that your whole life, and that is truly you. People read that, and keep silent. Like a person with a disability or tattoos, or is really tall or short. They’re like that, they know it, it won’t change so accept it, and others accept it. Are you going to let others determine what you wear and how you act. No, you would just be yourself.

Some people that worry so much about what others think, I worry what would happen if they became disfigured in a car accident, would they become shut-in’s? Never leaving home? Worried about what others think? I hope not, and I certainly don’t wish any evil, but I want to stress that it’s your life, not a practice run, not a rehearsal, your opinion is just as valid as the president’s or that guy staring at you. What do you want as your epitaph? ‘Here lays a guy who never wore shorts because he was afraid of what others would say. He even died on a 110F day in Pheonix with pants on. R.I.P.’

Don’t worry if others will gossip. Why? Because they always do, they always will. You will find that you have to gain this strength, it takes work to be a true individual. Maybe I think this way because for a few years I worked with people with severe disabilities. I would go to the store and to the movies with them. Everyone would throw out glances and stares. Sometimes the disabled would yell and scream. It became no big deal. I learned that my response of cool and confidence is what got staring eyes to mind their own business. I just learned that human behavior was something not to be concerned with.

I was at the store yesterday in shorts and flip flops (we are lucky down here weatherise), These girls behind me said, ‘Well, it’s not so bad as long as he doesn’t wear polish, you know.’ I realized that I couldn’t care less. I mean, I didn’t care at all. A few weeks ago I also asked for a 4-pack of Venus Vibrance cartridges from this guy behind the counter. He held up the wrong ones, and I yelled across the store, ‘Not those. Vibrance, in the red and orange package.’ Some women were like snorting or something, but I didn’t even care. I just wanted the cartridges. What are they going to do? Throw me in girl-prison for buying girl-razors? They can’t. I can buy them if I want.

You have to be above it. Someone says: do you shave your legs. Say: Yeah, I shave my legs. I like to. You’ll be amazed how fast they get over it, it’ll be accepted, as you would want. Hide it, and they will think they have something on you, it becomes the very thing you don’t want it to.

About weights. If somebody likes machines, more power to them. But I agree, dumbells and a good bench is where it’s at. I did the whole gym thing for like fifteen years. I now have a good quality flat, incline, decline bench (PowerBlock powerblock.com) -the pro adjustable white bench only. I absolutely love it, and I’ve used many, many benches) and a set of plain hex dumbells going from 10 lbs to 80 lbs. Use a lot of knowledge and you can do a lot with this simple setup for the basics and staying toned. But I admit, if I used them as much as my keyboard, I’d be pretty buff by now.

Hi Mantaray

Good to hear from you again. I agree with your comments. I have also dealt with disabled and dying people. I don’t think we are throwing the subject around too much though. As you say people will always stare and comment as is their right.

I almost always wear shorts and flip flops as well. Nobody even looks at my legs. In my area it is perfecty normal and I am very comfortable living where I do. Most women here like the look and support men who are prepared to shave their legs. Some have told me I look very sexy. Thats good too hear!

I only feel sorry for people like Josh who suffer hardship because of fools teasing him about something I think is normal. Why should men not shave their legs? Where did this perception even come from? It would be good to get some opinions on that!

Some men have almost no hair on their legs naturally. Why do people stare and find it strange if one shaves? I can walk past a man who has almost no leg hairs, yet some people will look at me as if I am strange and different. This does not bother me much as they are in the vast minority where I live.

I have been very aggressive in Florida when people gave me strange looks - why I still need to figuer out? It’s hot, humid and at sea level - why do guys have hairy legs and think it’s odd to shave??

Still many questions I think…

Best Regards
Stuart

Hi All!

Geeze, I’m away from the computer for a few days and miss a ton of new messages!

Anyways, everybody mentioned some very valid points which have made me think a lot about body shaving and I’ll try to comment on a few of them. Mantaray, you brought up some good points and you’re absolutely right that we should live life how we want and not let others dictate what we can or can’t do, but it’s still hard to go against some societal norms. I guess your work with handicapped people has given you strength and you also have a good sense of humor. That part about the store clerk giving you the wrong Vibrance package and your response was great but you know, it could be kinda fun to be locked up in all women’s prison for awhile–LOL!!!

Seriously though, the comments made by the girls behind you in the store, show that it’s still not really “mainstream” for men to shave their legs. If it were, nobody would comment or even give a second glance at a man with smooth legs. I really don’t understand why women or other men think it’s strange for men to shave their legs or other parts of their body. As Stuart asked in one of his messages, where do these prejudices come from??? Do people think that it’s odd or gay for men to shave their legs because we’re supposedly “imitating” women, or that we are “too concerned” with our appearance??? Some of the women who commented earlier in this forum said that they “wouldn’t want to be with a man who shaves just for the look” but added “they could accept it, if it was because of sports.” Can’t they and others appreciate the variety of individual preferences and the fact that some men might not like a furry coat, especially in hot climates?

Stuart, you’re lucky to live in a country that seems so tolerant of leg shaving and that’s the way it should be. When you were in Florida, did people give you hostile looks or just kinda puzzled looks of curiosity? Again, why do some people think it’s so strange for men to shave their legs? I really think that Philips and Remington could do a lot to make body shaving more mainstream simply by placing a few commercials on TV which have women complimenting men on their smooth looks, or they could feature athletes with smooth muscular legs and chests–this would expose the public to body shaving and I think it would become more mainstream, especially if people could see big “tough” muscular guys with the smooth look. Men shaving their legs really shouldn’t raise anybody’s eyebrows and I hope that it won’t take that long for the general public to be more accepting of men’s body shaving. I’m planning to write to Philips and Remington sometime and suggest a few such commercials, just in case their marketing dept. hasn’t already thought up something similar!

I appreciate all of your comments on the bowflex and other weight equipment. I’ve been thinking about just going to a fitness club that has a range of weights as well as rowing and skiing machines–how effective are they for building up some muscle tone?

Cheers, everyone!

smoothlover

Wow, dudes, I can’t believe all the fuss over my comments. Yeah, I quit shaving my legs because a few “A” holes had to say some stuff that was stupid. Yeah, I know I should resume shaving my legs, and I might. This year I’ve transfered to a different department. I’ll be working as a sales associate in one of the stores at the park. Since most people don’t look at your legs, cause they’re mostly looking for a souvenir, I might try shaving my legs again. The only time I might be on a ladder, would be to put up displays, so I don’t think stupid punks will be in the store to make remarks about my legs. When my legs were shaved, they looked awesome. So smooth, and well defined, muscular. I admire men who take the time to make their bodies so smooth, and clean. I think if I had’nt been with ohter co workers, who heard the comments, then I would have just ignored them. None of my co workers said anything, but I could tell they were uncomfortable. It seems to me, that if all guys should have hairy legs, then why do we shave our faces? Why should’nt we have to have beards? Maybe guys with shaved faces should be called gay. Other people in other parts of the world consider men who shave their faces, to be going against God. I’m sure God does not care if we take the hair off our bodies. Having a hairy body in the past was a good thing, cause there was no modern heating of our homes, it was done with wood, in fireplaces. So men with hairy bodies, could keep warm, that was what the hairiness was ment for in the first place. Now, things have changed, we don’t need all that hair to keep warm. Shaving the hair off our legs, arms, chest, or whatever, should be considered the norm. For BOTH men and women. In summer, having a hairy body can be very uncomfortable. I myself am not very hairy, but my legs tend to be somewhat hairier than I prefer. I’ve trimmed them now since August, and they do look pretty good. I’ve mostly got blond hairs on my legs, you can barely see the darker hairs. Still, there is hair on my legs, and getting rid of it totally would be prefered. I’m gonna try it again most likely, and if I hear any comments, I’m just gonna ignore them. I will not dignify them with a response. Take care all, and keep those legs smooth!!

Hi:

I think that if you want to do something you should not base your decision on what others think. How you look and whether you want to shave your legs is a personal choice.
If you just ignore them they will probably get bored and go away. If they get a reaction, they will think that this is a fun game, so will keep it up.

I have gone against the current to be who I am. The amount of ridicule I had to face went way, way beyond someone making fun of shaved legs. If I let it bother me then I would have lived my life for the approval of others instead of being myself. I had to first be brave, and secondly not care what others might think. It was a matter of “self identity”. I could either be myself or be what others wanted me to be, and not be happy.

Yes it is easier said than done to have courage and conviction. But it is possible if you try. Live your life to enjoy it, not just to “not displease” others.

Alicia

Do any of the guys that are having people commenting on their shaved leg also have comments on shaved underarms? I have shaved or waxed my underarms since age 16 and only rarely did anyone notice them. I have now removed all that hair by electrolysis.

Hi everyone!

This might be a little off topic but it definitely is related to hair and the general debate of what society thinks of men taking care of their themselves. I recently spoke with someone at work about the gas crisis between Russia and the Ukraine. The conversation then shifted to Gerhard Schroeder, the former chancellor of Germany, whose new post as chairman of a consortium overseeing a gas pipeline between Germany and Russia has come under a lot of criticism.

Anyways, the person I spoke to was highly critical of Schroeder and said that he couldn’t stand him because he dyes his hair. He then went on to say that “it’s okay for the ladies” but “real men” don’t dye their gray hair. This really seemed to bother him and he said that it’s ridiculous for someone in their 60s to dye their hair. I responded and said “so what, if it makes you feel better, then why not?” He seemed very adamant that it’s wrong for men to dye their hair because “real men don’t”–I should have asked him what it means to be a real man! The man I spoke to is in his mid 50s and I could see there was no point arguing with him and could only imagine what his reaction to men shaving their legs would be!

This kind of attitude really bothers me and his opinion that real men don’t dye their gray hair–does that mean that there is some “unwritten law” that real men shouldn’t care about how they look and just be slobs? Why are some people so judgmental and critical about what others do with their appearance? This attitude is echoed by some of the women writing in this forum that men shouldn’t shave their chests, legs etc. Honestly, why are they so upset by men taking care of their appearance? IMHO, piercing eyelids and the lips is much stranger than dyeing your hair or body shaving but if it makes someone happy, then they should do it.

I’d like to hear your comments about this. How accepted or unaccepted is it for men to dye their hair where you live? Furthermore, it seems like a huge contradiction that most women want men to shave their faces but think it’s strange if men shave other body parts–this is really one of the most unnatural and illogical places to shave since facial hair grows so fast and it would be normal to just let it grow out! As Josh mentioned in his last post, this really doesn’t make sense and in some religions, males are forbidden to be clean shaven.

Going back to Mantaray’s comments for awhile. He’s certainly right that “life isn’t a dress rehersal” and that we shouldn’t allow others to dictate how we look or the way we live. Men have the right to take care of their appearance–we only have one face, head of hair and body shaving is just another form of taking care of oneself! It’s really sad that in the 21st century, so many outdated prejudices still exist and some people have nothing better to do than criticize men who choose to take care of themselves.

Regards,

smoothlover

Aliciadarling,
You know, I have an idea of what you’ve had to deal with. I know a woman who’s been transgendered for three years now. And where I am, nobody will really make friends with her. There’s the people she works with, but that’s only a very small group of three people. It really upsets me when people refer to her as a ‘he-she’. I mean, is it really necessary for these people to say this even if she’s two hundred yards away? It’s as mean as saying, ‘There’s John who stuttered through high school.’ Like exposing the person with an intent to draw criticism. People feel they can inflict because they have the person outnumbered, and it raises their own low self-esteem. I’ve witnessed that the women who see her are more critical. Just as it is guys who criticize when other guys defy social norms. When I see how people talk bad behind her back it just makes me feel like the human race is worthless. I’ve made it a point to say hi and talk to her every morning. You know, it takes a lot just to be her friend, then walk back to the people I know, let alone sense how tough it is for her.

Smoothlover,
Yeah, I think the grand key in the whole thing is to accept it yourself. The more you accept the condition as ‘this is the way I am’, the more the comments mean less, and the more poeple will react positively. I don’t have any hair on my legs, and that’s me. It takes people two seconds and no brain to spit out a derogatory comment. Am I really going to balance my life with that? -I wouldn’t respect myself if I did. I truly believe it’s the same as if one was black, chinese, short, handicapped, or whatever. The more you know it’s who you are, the more other things don’t really matter.

Mantaray

Hi Mantaray:

Thanks for your words of support. It says a lot about you as a person, that you support your friend in spite of others who might look down on you for doing that.

I work in a big place with hundreds of employees, and transitioned there after 23 years.I am now fully transitioned. In general the women have been better about it than the men. Men are usually more uptight and afraid that their sexuality might be in question if they support someone who is trans. Men can’t even compliment another person without people thinking they’re gay. What about poor Eddie Haskell complimenting June Cleaver on her appearance?

I recently saw Transamerica and if anyone gets a chance to see it, it will give you a rough idea of what life is like for someone who is transgendered. Felicity Huffman’s performance is excellent.

My previous post was because I had to overcome some of the same issues and fears that many of the men here had in
first shaving my legs. I was probably more fearful than some of you since I had hidden my true self for years.
I was so much in the closet that I looked out through a narrow crack in the door.

In the end I had to face the fear and just do it. If you are confident and believe in yourself then you can overcome fear.

Alicia

Hi Smoothlover

I suppose I may also create a slightly skewed impression of SA as a whole. More accuratly the greater city of Johannesburg (which is very big I might add) is very tolerant. There are many small farming towns in remote areas that would not be tolerant at all, but I am glad to live where I do anyway.

Regards
Stuart

Hi again Smoothlover

Sorry in my last post I forgot to answer one of your questions. During my time in Florida I never got any hostile looks at all. Actually only about 3 or 4 people noticed and it was more a matter of curiosity in my opinion. One was a young computer store clerk who was the most taken aback and couln’t stop glancing at my legs - the rest just average middle aged people who mainly asked me if I shaved for sports. Of my 6 visits to Florida only the last 2 were with shaved legs, but this last time was a long visit, over 3 weeks straight. Nobody looked or said a thing on the beach interestingly. There are some bodybuilders around with smooth bodies and legs, but I could hardly be mistaken for one of them even though I am athletic.

Generally I still remain surprised this has not taken off over there like in SA as it is even hotter there. I suppose there are a lot of retired people there as well and this does not seem terribly important to them. Note that no elderly people noticed at all.

Regards
Stuart