Hair transplant removal - looking for opinions and options

Hello,

A year ago I had a hair transplant at a clinic in Belgium, 4000 grafts transplanted in my hairline (they claim 4000 but they never provided any report, it could be less), with 1, 2, 3 hair per follicle, so if they’re correct we’re looking at about 8000 hairs. I was never happy with what they did to me, I think the results looks awful, they implanted thick multi graft hair, implanted in the wrong angles. I deeply regret it and I liked my old receded hairline better.

I’m on medicine but I still might bald further, I don’t want to keep this nonsensical hairline on my head and I want to remove it.

What options can I consider? 4000 grafts is a lot, I guess it would take a crazy amount of time to remove them by electrolysis? Would scarring also be an issue? I mean additional scaring on top of that from the transplant.

Before transplant

After

Would it be possible to use laser hair removal (alexandrite/nd:yag?) to remove the “bulk” of the hair transplant and then electrolysis for the “transition” zones where they implanted hair really close to my normal hairline, like in this picture?

Does my plan make any sense? I have found another user on this forum who did something similar. He just used electrolysis but he had way less grafts than I did.

Also looking for recommendations for providers, I live in Brussels, Belgium.

Thank you

Each and every transplant will show a scar. The hair right now is hiding these, but if you take the hair out it will be immediately obvious.

I can make peace with scars, I am buzzing my head every few weeks already and I already see them, they’re not that bad. I just want to know if it’s possible to remove the transplanted hair with electrolysis/laser hair removal and if my “plan” makes sense.

Electrolysis will work fine. I wouldnt use laser for this honestly.Laser doesnt “blend” anything well. You’ll see splotchy results.

Thank you! I assume it will take a very long time, given they transplanted 4000 grafts, so about 8000 hairs? Am I looking at dozens of hours of electrolysis?

I can destroy about 800 hairs in an hour, 1000 if I’l reallymoving and trying. I kinda doubt it would be much more than about 15 hours total treatment time. This is a little simplistic as not all the hairs will be showing at a given time, but when it comes to head hair most of them are showing the hair .

Thank you, that’s giving me a lot of hope… I will try to find a clinic that is willing to take my case here in Belgium.

You say it’s been a year after your transplant. I would wait another full year and let everything heal well before you proceed for removal.

That would be the most cautious and reasonable option but tbh at this point I feel like my skin has healed well enough. I also haven’t found any electrolysis expert yet that would be willing to take my case, so take might take a while too.

Hi there, I have worked on several people who have had hair transplants. I am currently working on a client who has had a hair transplant and I have been treating him for a little over a year. It does take some time and patience but it is doable. I would suggest finding an electrologist who is able to thin out where the hair plugs are more predominant. This will help to not have your implants appear so dense in one area of the scalp. I will try and post a picture tomorrow evening of my scalp treatment, if my client will allow me. There is no scarring if you know what you are doing.

Hi Evy_60, I would love to see the pictures if your client is willing to share!

I am not sure if I need to remove every single transplanted hair either, I believe “thinning” it and turning multigrafts to single hair follicles would bring a significant improvement.

These pictures were taken today. My client is very happy with the outcome of the way his hair growing in. I have asked them to please send me some pictures of what his scalp appeared like when he first came to see. The hair was much more dense. Big difference.

I 100% agree with you also. Thinning out the area will make a significant difference to the way your hair will look. Stay tuned.

I would do electrolysis with the blend and try to just shrink the hairs and redirect the growth. I’ve done this many times for crazy old man eyebrows and it works lovely.