Diary of a Scandinavian guy

Now I am writing from the office of Josefa and we “flipar” when we saw the beautiful place where you live.

I want to go as well!!
If she doesn’t go I will have to drag her by the hair to San Diego. :grin:

Por su español no se preocupe, nosotros dominamos una lengua nueva, spanglish! :wink:

Yo amo Spanglish!!! El solamente es que puedo comprender! (No idea if I wrote that correctly).

You can also see this, which is 10-15 minutes away from me

http://tinyurl.com/7tqpgp6

And yes, you can come too. But if you cut into my treatment time, yo voy matarte :wink: jajaja.

I am very jealous you get to be in Josefa’s office. I would trade this beautiful place to sit there haha

Haha Brenton, I understand you very well.

Actually there is a spanish client who now refuse to eat salmon from Norway because of my occupation of Josefa’s time.

[quote=“boy1989”]

Actually there is a spanish client who now refuse to eat salmon from Norway because of my occupation of Josefa’s time. [/quote]

Haha really?? Maybe if Josefa refuses to come to San Diego, I will refuse to eat paella. I looked up tickets from Norway to Spain… SO SO cheap. I’m really jealous. It’s way cheaper than from San Diego to Spain :(. Actually, if you both come for a week, maybe there is time to treat us both! I hope Josefa doesn’t hate me now for wanting to occupy all of her time :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi mam91, I will say something you may not like some of my colleagues. Being a member of an association does not make you better electrologist, or have a CPE, or have the newest machine on the market, or attending a flagship school, or have celebrity clients.
I think associations should serve the professional, and not vice versa. When an association makes a statement which questioned the competence of its own members, discriminating those who do not have a CPE, or the latest model of equipment, is using its power against the interests of the members who compose it. And the saddest part of all this is to invest in tools or training, is something worthy of praise, but not at the expense of other members. I left the Spanish Association because it became a business to raise money from the courses given by a person who had taken a needle 3 times in her life. I wish my money from the annual fee had served for other things such as research, training, outreach, but apparently the money raised from members was not enough…

I understand your frustration. The problem with the lack of consensus among professionals around the world, is that many of them simply follow the above rules imposed by others regardless of their own observations.

I haven’t chimed in for some time; now’s a good time. Jossie’s post? … I couldn’t agree more. She is, again, “right on.” I’ve been thinking that our profession has entered a “stage” that we have never experienced in our entire 100-year history (this goes along with Jossie’s comments). Let me elaborate (you knew I would, ha ha ha).

With every “business venture” I’ve attempted, they all ended in total failure (except electrolysis). Years ago, I promoted the “Telangitron” device, that failed because of it’s success; but that’s another story. What I want to talk about is “Push/Pull” in marketing.

During the good times of Telangitron, a couple high profile companies sold the unit; I got to meet with the sales force and manufacturers (one manufactured lasers). Here’s the idea. At the initial stages of selling anything, the promoters have to PUSH the product: make it known and get the word out. Eventually, the public demands the product and you enter the PULL stage: people want to buy your product because the public now demands it.

I’m not getting into the laser debate, but clearly the internet has successfully spread the “good word” about the REAL “Gold Standard” in permanent hair removal … electrolysis. The public is LOOKING for our treatment; they are unquenchable in their desire for information (Hairtell posters) and are getting pretty savvy about making their own decisions. We are in a PULL environment now!

Right now, this week, there is a client flying from California to New York for treatmnt AND a client flying from New York to see me in California. I hope you can see the irony in this event. Still, each client DID make the correct decision based on what he wants to achieve. I support both of them and they will both get the results they are looking for. But this event clearly illustrates the power of the internet and the very new “PULL” environment we have entered. (I think the guys should wave to each other as their airplanes fly over the Mississippi.)

The question: what do we do now in a PULL environment that is here as big as life? My first recommendation is to follow all the ideas of Jossie. I would add that we now have a “sacred” duty to provide honest valid information to the best of our ability. The internet, as you know, has a TON of misinformation and some people are “trying to out-do” the competition. My “by-word” is to never say anything negative about any other electrologist (yes, sometimes I have to bite my tongue). But negativity has a way of spreading faster than good news and it hurts all of us — even YOU.

Anyway, I’ve just begun to think about our “new environment.” It really is exciting! It’s worth some contemplation.

Very true Michael.

I am forever grateful to Andrea for HairTell and to the all the professionals who keep it alive. Four years ago I came here looking for Laser advice. I was not interested in electrolysis; I hardly knew anything about it. Only that each hair was treated individually and that it was therefore slow.

Oh how things have changed. I cannot even now count how many people I have ‘pushed’ in the direction of electrolysis, both in ‘real life’ and on the internet. Now there is a tremendous ‘pull’ for a better caliber of electrologist (not like the one’s mam91 has come across).

I personally hope that we can encourage more people to take up the profession, especially in the UK. People who are willing to take it forward and aim for the best results, no matter what the area or density of hairs.

Sadly and frustratingly I have to agree with Josefa, i do recommend the professional body in my country because on paper every member should have at least master the basics of electrolysis. Too often I’m proved wrong with distressed phones calls, so now I I educated clients the best I can and hope they end up with good treatment. Obviously this is not good enough.
Another example of clients or practitioners not being put 1st is when I was told by the Uk representatives of Apilus that the BIAE did not want to see them as
they were only ‘sales people’ and told by a member of the board that the Apilus was too weak.
This is a board that will give ipl and laser seminars. Please let me state I know laser can be great in the right circumstances and there is fantastic electrologists that don’t use Apilus. However when some of us find a system that has surpassed anything we have used before it is a very difficult pill to swallow when our industry ‘professional’ refuse to acknowledge it. Where can we go from here? This is an amazing forum Andrea is an angel, still the majority of consumers do not know about it. If only we had the advertising budget of other hair removing methods!!

I see the Ametican Electrologt Association evolving toward a more encompassing and responsive organization. Much of the leadershiip now own Apilus Platinums or Pures. These can be hard moves to make especially if one has had great relationships with other brand manufactuers over the years. Things change and the goal is to move forward for the sake of the consumer and thus the profession. Sounds like your organization is not doing so, Mairi.

Good discussions about electrolysis are happening on the AEA Facebook page and will continue as always here on HaitTell. No, the electrology industry does not have the money to conquer the consumer with the good news about our valuable service, but we don’t have to resort to lies or exaggerations about results (effectiveness) with our treatments. All in good time, the word will spread IF we train and mentor enough new electrologists or if our seasoned electrologists keep an open mind and evolve toward newer approaches and strategies.

The biggest promoters of good electrolysis care are the consumers of good electrolysis care. I beg my clients to tell their stories or pass on their positive comments to their physicians, family and friends about how electrolysis gave them the gift of permanent hair removal. If they are unhappy with their laser results, I encourage them to give feedback to the clinic. If they are quite satisfied, I encourage the same. We need to hear back from hair removal consumers so we can improve or just keep on doing a great job. This approach takes little money, but the downside is, many don’t spread the word about something embarrassing - being hairy in the first place and then resolving the problem.

Thanks alot for your replies Josefa,Micheal,Mhwakes,Stoppit and Fahey.

I am beginning to see reasons why all professionals are not professionals.
As some who has had waxing,shaving,laser removal and now electrolysis(would start soon),I think am very much interested in becoming an electrologist(after getting good results) but i need advice on where i can get trained in the uk.
From where i come from,I no alot of women who are have unwanted hair and the last thing i would want to do is to deceive anyone on hair removal methods and anything concerning electrolysis.I would also endeavour to keep improving my skills and going for training so as to perfect my skills and keep gathering knowledge.One thing i know for sure is that i would beleive any client that tells me that laser induces hair growth.

Thanks alot to you all.

Actually there is a spanish client who now refuse to eat salmon from Norway because of my occupation of Josefa’s time. [/quote]

Haha really?? Maybe if Josefa refuses to come to San Diego, I will refuse to eat paella. I looked up tickets from Norway to Spain… SO SO cheap. I’m really jealous. It’s way cheaper than from San Diego to Spain :(. Actually, if you both come for a week, maybe there is time to treat us both! I hope Josefa doesn’t hate me now for wanting to occupy all of her time :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Dear Brenton, Boy does not take much more of my time. His neck, shoulders, back, buttocks, chest, stomach, belly, arms, hands and feet are 90% hair free. We have begun their legs, and probably 1 clearance only get the results he is looking for in this area. As for other areas, some only needed 2 clearances and others have needed 3. It has been hard work (for both) but the experience was worth it. Now Boy1989 is not just a client of my list, he is a good friend. Norway has a special place in my personal map. I hope that Spain means the same for him. I feel that it is.

Haha really?? Maybe if Josefa refuses to come to San Diego, I will refuse to eat paella. I looked up tickets from Norway to Spain… SO SO cheap. I’m really jealous. It’s way cheaper than from San Diego to Spain :(. Actually, if you both come for a week, maybe there is time to treat us both! I hope Josefa doesn’t hate me now for wanting to occupy all of her time :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Dear Brenton, Boy does not take much more of my time. His neck, shoulders, back, buttocks, chest, stomach, belly, arms, hands and feet are 90% hair free. We have begun their legs, and probably 1 clearance only get the results he is looking for in this area. As for other areas, some only needed 2 clearances and others have needed 3. It has been hard work (for both) but the experience was worth it. Now Boy1989 is not just a client of my list, he is a good friend. Norway has a special place in my personal map. I hope that Spain means the same for him. I feel that it is.

[/quote]

Boy is a very lucky boy! I assume 1989 is when he was born, as was I. He is fortunate to be much further along in hair removal than I am. He is also fortunate to be able to see such a wonderful electrologist. He must feel like a new and happy man! I commend both of you for such wonderful work. I hope my jealousy does not get the best of me :wink:

Well, if you look around, you can consider yourself very lucky.
Boy felt like you just 7 months ago, and look how far he has come. As they say my colleagues, to design a good plan and stay on it.

[/quote]

Spain and Malaga will always have a very special place in my heart.
Every time I look at my hairfree chest I will think of you, my dear guapa Jossie.

[/quote]

I will also think of Spain everytime I think of boy’s hairfree chest :wink: jajaja.

But only 7 months? Truly marvelous! All I need for that is money to visit, time, and a lot of anesthetic!

No Brenton, all you need is trust your own strength, and the infallibility of Electrolysis. This is exactly what Boy1989 did, and now he will not need anymore a scarf:

To hide excess hair…

…because thanks to his enthusiasm, encouragement of his family…

…and a few cups of coffee…

…the Elf of Electrolysis crossed his path and waving our flags together.

Happy homecoming, my Boy, I love you.

THANK YOU

I have to say that this story is a story of a miracle and of a new, real friendship.

Its time for a update!

It has been 2 months since my third clearing and trip to Josefa.
I think it will take some time to get used to the fact that I now have a naturally hair free upper body!! :smiley:

It is amazing. Everything about my trips to Malaga have been amazing.
It is such a HUGE change! Last summer I was covered in long hairs on all of my body. I spent the summer hiding them under big scarfs and sweaters.
THIS summer I am only going to wear t-shirts and shorts! I think I will burn all of my scarfs. Haha!
It is incredible how much can change in only 1 year! The situation is totally different, and I have found a new confidence about my body.

I can’t wait to see you again, my amazing Jossie :smiley: And continue with electrolysis on the legs and buttocks.
I am so thankful and lucky to be one of your clients. Without you, I think I would have shaved and waxed for the rest of my life.

tear in eye

I’m so happy for you. You have been really committed and I imagine it can’t have always been easy.

Congratulations and I hope you have an amazing summer!

Wow , a tranformation for sure! Lucky you! And you will have compassion for others with body issues because you have been there.

How is your skin now as it is slowly exposed to sun? Do you tan normally or is it different? thanks for sharing