Current Laser/IPL Models

Both. This is explained in the FAQs at the link below. Please read them.

Hi…im new here…just wanna ask you guys what do u think is the most effective laser hair removal (Home Use)…i just saw this Xemos… but from reading to ur forum… im having doubts now…

im a female student that have hairs like those in gorilla (not exaggerating…its true)…and being a female in my adolescence yrs. i want to wear skirts…shorts but i couldnt since i hate hairs like those in men in my legs…

ive been doing shaving for 4yrs…but got tired of it since it grows after 3days…so i changed to waxing… that also grows after 2-3wks… but ofcourse ITS PAINFUL… im really tired of every month pain hehe…so i decided to look for permanent hair removals… and i saw this Home Used Laser hair removals

since im only a student…im going to ask my parents to pay it for me (what u recommend to be most effective) so i also nid it to be NOT TOO EXPENSIVE…

my criteria will be:
-permanent
-100% effective
-inexpensive
-not SCAM

i hope u will help me with this…

tnx so much

Even the professional clinics can’t give you that criteria, and you can forget about a home use device.

What you want doesn’t exist. Professional laser treatments is your best option which will get rid of 95%+ of the coarse hair if you do your research to find the right clinic with the best laser for your situation. Please read the FAQs below.

You forgot to add the new Soprano laser by Alma lasers which is the only painless laser on the market and there are loads of clinic chains offering this treatment

You forgot to read through this thread before posting. It’s already been mentioned and discussed.

The painlessness of it and effectiveness is not really confirmed or established. There are consumers here who’ve tried it along with other machines and didn’t find it less painful or more effective. Just because “loads of clinic chains” are using it doesn’t mean it’s any good. Most clinics use IPLs - the reason is that they’re cheap machines, not because they’re great.

Hi

Been sent the below response with regards to a laser enquiry. My skin type is IV and having looked at the FAQ’S, should hopefully be effective. Has anyone come across this particular laser by Mythos and would you know if it is effective on IV skin types? Thanks. Ash

The diode laser is called the Mythos distributed in the UK by ABC lasers - it is an 800nm wavelength similar to the original Lightsheer diode laser but with better cooling at the tip and with a variable pulse width, long or short (as appose to the original lightsheer that only had short pulse so it had difficulty treating darker skins without burning).

I don’t know that machine but diode laser is very effective for type 1-4 and less effective for 5 and kinda bad idea for 6.

All of that is in theory of course.

LightSheer didn’t only have a short pulse. It went up to 100ms without problems and was also variable. This diode sounds pretty similar, so not sure how they’re trying to differentiate it. Whatever they’re saying is not true, which would make me suspicious.

Either way, you need to check out 3-4 clinics at LEAST in person. So have a consultation there, but also compare to others.

For skin type IV, which is in between, alex, diode or Yag could work. They need to test your skin to see what would work best in terms of effective settings. If you can handle high enough settings on an alex without burning, then alex is best. if not, then diode or Yag are next best AT GOOD settings.

any chance you remember the name of the place that had nd yag laser?

Who are you addressing? The most important thing is the person treating you. Knowledgeable clinics don’t use crappy lasers.

I’ve since received another response from the clinic owner (following further questioning from me). Feel free to comment. I personally don’t believe this clinic to be suspicious as they’ve recommended me another clinic within their response:

"Nd Yag is probably more effective on dark skin (type V) than diode BUT only treats a very small area at a time, and is more painful. Type IV skin diode and Nd YAg are probably much the same -maybe NdYAg edges it but pain is worse and takes longer to treat each treat becasue size of the head is so small. I am skin type IV myself (light inidan/asian) and have used the Diode to great success so I still believe the diode is a really effective machine, but if you want ot try the NdYAG there is a clinic in Leicester called FEMI that has one.

With all lasers, same machines work better on some body parts than others, eg, my own underarms - excellent results in 4-5 treatments with amost no new growth after 5 years; my own chin (more hormonal stimulus) 10 +treatments, hairfree for only 12 months then small areas of new growth requiring repeat/maintenace treatments every 6-8 months; between eyebrows 4 treatments and hair free for 5 years and counting. These are same laser, same person, different body parts!"

That sentence is completely inaccurate. Whoever said that knows nothing about how lasers work and what types of lasers are out there.

There are various Yag lasers made by various manufacturers and various diode lasers made by various manufacturers. Both types have a bunch of options with various spot sizes available (that’s the size of the laser “head”, so that’s what impacts how big of an area you can treat and how fast). Pain also doesn’t depend that much on the laser type. It mostly depends on the type of hair you’re treating. DENSE COARSE hair is most painful because it absorbs the most energy.

If there is NEW hair appearing after 6 months since last treatment, it’s NOT regrowth. It’s NEW hair that your body is developing. If this is happening on a woman’s face, there is likely a hormonal disorder like PCOS. That’s something one should look into before starting any treatments - i.e. the CAUSE of the hair in the first place. If there is something in your body causing it to grow, it won’t continue doing that even if you remove the hair that’s currently there.

Are you talking above about the Lightsheer Duet? There was something in the NY Times about it over the summer. Is it a new generation laser?

LightSheer duet is a diode laser. The only thing “new” about it is that it has a huge spot size, so treating legs and so on is much faster since it covers a very large area. Other than that it’s still the same technology as regular LightSheer it’s still a diode.

Thanks edokid. The article made it sound sort of revolutionary. IE no pain, larger spot, less treatments, etc. I’ll look into it.

It suppose to hurt less than any previews LightSheer.

It uses a vacuum to suck your skin up towards it to get it closer to the laser when it fires. I’m guessing that helps with pain since it’s stretching the skin and you get more of a sensation of the suction than the laser. It definitely looks good for large areas though. Diode lasers are the only kind I haven’t tried myself though.

Pneumatic skin flattening is the technical term for suction. It apparently blocks pain receptors, leading to lower pain. Here’s an article on this issue:

There is a training DVD that shows how to use two different machines, an IPL and a combined Alexandrite/YAG laser machine.

The Complete Guide to Laser Hair Removal, features two physicians — Christine Whitelaw, M.D., and Mark B. Taylor, M.D.

This DVD explains how to perform laser hair removal on the face, underarms, back, bikini area, and legs, with demonstrations on male and female models with different Fitzpatrick types. It also discusses the different laser options, benefits and contraindications, hair growth cycle, treatment regimens, and procedure guidelines.

Click here to see a video clip of this laser hair removal DVD.

Just scroll down, it’s the third DVD on the page and if you click on “view details” or “view video excerpt” you can see a free video clip.