What can you do to get better/quicker results?

It is called concealer & foundation. :wink: I only wish I had a camera so I could do a proper timeline of before / afters & progress pics.

No offence was taken - it amused me more than offended me. However, my body hair is not unusual except in one area, so I can imagine how your response, which confirms to society’s expectation of what “normal” bodyhair looks like on women, may be hurtful to those with more hair and transsexuals too. For many people this is a very private issue precisely because people jump to conclusions about abnormality - you have effectively stated that I am not feminine because I have body hair and thus I must be a man, which is slightly offensive. Also, most people declare their sex/gender here.

Body hair is an aspect of their body beyond their control & this forum is an outlet where they do not expect or want to be judged. Many, myself included, are/have encountering or have encountered a place where it not abnormal to be like this and where the individual meets others who are in the same boat.

Madhu if you think Smurf’s leg hair is unusual then you might not want to see the picture of my legs in their 9 month unshaved glory.

I think PCOS is less about the amount of hair and more about where it’s located.(ie. “male pattern hair growth”)

Smurf, how long did you grow your arm hair before the first clearance?

Smurf…I know I hurted you.I am really sorry.Actually I have seen only tiny fraction of women…I know there may be lakhs of women even in india who suffer from this condition.

No, Madhu, really. Im not easily offended. You’ve learnt something here (that PCOS is to do with location of hair more than the amount of hair on women) so there’s no need for apologise.

I have grown every hair on my body that I wanted treated for a minimum of 3mths prior to the appointment it would be treated during.

Thanks for the pictures posted. Those are some incredible results. So how many full clearence treatmens do you need for almost completely hairlessness if you use this strategy?(let it all grow for a long time then let it get treated by an all around technician like ms. Josefa)

3-5, depending on a few things including how ‘full’ the clearance was.

Hi Smurf, 30 kg overweight? for me your legs look like legs of a supermodel. Yeah, I think the first clearance gave some “decent” results. By the way, I think your feet only require 2 clearances.

February 2012:

June 2012:

Thanks for being the first brave girl who trusted in my hands. :slight_smile:

Lucky smurf!

Josefa, question for you: In an ideal situation for a client with plenty of time and patience, how many months should he/she grow hair to maximize the hair at the surface before being treated by you?

Amazing results, my dear Josefa!

This confirms that I want 1 clearing on the legs :smiley:

yup…the results are amazing.Smurf,I think so your skin type is type 5 if i am right after seeing the pictures.Mine is Type 4.I just wanted to know which modality josefa is using on you…my electrologist uses only thermolysis.I just want to know if you develop any sort of hyperpigmentation on your legs…If yes,how long it took to disappear.I will soon posting progress of my facial electrolysis.I had only fine hairs about 2-3mm visible at present and they are very sparse.My boyfriend doesnt see them even if i force him to see.He says they are not visible.I think so I am getting body dysmorphic syndrome…ha…ha… :smiley: :blush: :slight_smile:

That depends on the characteristics of the hairs. If we want to remove thick hair (terminal) like the bikini line, underarms, or lower legs, 3 to 4 months is sufficient. If, however, we are talking about hair type “vellus”, 6 to 8 months.
There is a way to check if you count with a maximum of hairs present. This is when you can see (with a magnifying glass or without it) that each group of follicles containing its corresponding 3 hairs. Sometimes you can not see more than one, the other two are typical of the lint hairs of a peach. It will be difficult to appreciate at first, but if you look carefully under a window or strong light, you can see.

1 Like

Thanks Josefa :slight_smile:

Josefa, is there such a thing as growing hair for “too long”- any downsides to growing hair for more than 6-8 months? For example, is it possible that if the client keeps the hair untouched for too long, then some portion will go into the shedding phase, thereby reducing what’s on the surface?

Yes, it is. Although you do not touch the hair for several months, a small amount will not be on the skin surface because of the exogenous phase, or a too early anagen (anagen I, II, III, IV, V, if this occurs when the old hair missing from the follicle). Just as we lose some hair from the scalp every day, some will fall from the body as well. There is no way to have 100% of the hairs present simultaneously. Hence an electrologist can not guarantee 100% of total elimination in a single clearance. Always be necessary, at least 2. However, the number of hairs that will be closer to 100% if you do not touch the area.

Oh yes indeed, it’s not possible to have 100% growth at any one point in time.

I take it that whether the client grows hair for 6-8 months or 8-10 months, there is no advantage or disadvantage? Or is it that the longer the period of no removal, the better the results such that 10 months is better than 8, and 8 better than 6 months etc?

After a certain amount of time (which is always more than people think. What electrologist has not heard this exclamation: “It’s been 1 month since my last wax, I have all the hairs on the surface!”. The truth is you’re lucky if 60% of the hairs are on the surface). As I said, with 6/8 months the advantages or disadvantages are the same than 10/12 months. Personally, I prefer that timeout match the hot months, because with light clothes, the hairs remains intact.

In these drawings, you can see how shaving limits our possibilities. 1 follicle among many does not seem to be important, right? . Well, considering that in the arm, for example, you can have 80% of the hairs at the stage marked by a yellow arrow, this is something to consider.

I see, interesting. Better to cut a certain length with scissors then. but is the actual act of cutting the hair a negative effect? or is there no diffirence for electrolysis if you cut the hairs?

^Keep in mind that this shaving vs trimming debate only applies to electrologists like Josefa who also kill in telogen phase. If you are going to someone who kills only in the anagen aka growing phase, you are better off going at close intervals to ensure that most hair are in the growing phase.

Cutting the hair does not affect the density of hairs that can be treated on each clearance, but with the technique I usually use this affects the speed. If the hairs have a certain length, they can be taken in groups.