Tweezing permenant?

I’ve got a slight unibrow that i do not like, i’ve heard that if you tweeze for awhile the hair follicles will weaken and the hair will be very tiny or not grow anymore where u tweezed is that true?

In most cases that is NOT true. Electrolysis would be a quick and easy (not to mention inexpensive) solution to your problem.

It might be true if you are willing to wait 20-30 years for it to happen.

James’s and jes’s statements are correct. This doesn’t have to be hard. Just get electrolysis and be done with this. Blend or thermolysis or both in combination will work.

whats Blend or thermolysis

Under the general term of electrolysis, there are three ways or modalities we electrologists can choose to learn and use to disable a hair follicle.

Galvanic electrolysis was the first on the scene and was discovered in the late 1800’s when batteries were providing energy. Galvanic destroys the hair follicle by making a chemical change happen inside the follicle that results in the formation of lye or sodium hydroxide. It works very well to kill the germ cells, etc., but it is slow.

Thermolysis is destruction of the hair follicle with heat. Thermolysis came on the scene as the result of electricity being introduced to the world. It destroys the hair growing tissue of the follicle as well and is faster than galvanic. It works very well.

Blend is a combination of galvanic and thermolysis. Sort of like two compatible people marrying each other and bringing the best of both world’s forward to do something really good. This modality works very well using chemical and heat together and is faster than galvanic alone, but is slower than thermolysis.

So all modalities work. There are advantages and disadvantages to all three. That’s why it is good if a practicing electrologist knows how to do all so he or she can adapt to whatever situation arises with clients. Most electrologists today choose to use blend of thermolysis. Microflash and even Picoflash thermolysis are newer kinds of electrolysis being used today. The electrologist needs to have the newer computerized epilators offered today. These wonderful epilators offer the client speedier outcomes. Destructive outcomes with more comfort for client is the rule. This kind of electrolysis is fabulous, but the skill factor is a must as this is harder to do.

If you want more information on the different ways that electrolysis can affect the hair follicle permanently, you can continue reading posts on the Electrolysis Forum here on Hairtell or go to www.hairfacts.com. Visit the American Electrology Association’s website at www.electrology.com. If you read about electrolysis outside these sites, you may get a horrible, untrue view of electrolysis. Search for truth. Read, compare, ask before you do anything for yourself. And know, that a modern electrologist, with modern skill and equipment will remove the hair permanently, no matter what color the hair or skin is, no matter what size the hair is anywhere on anybody. It is still the gold standard for hair removal as of 2007, but you would never find that out by reading certain internet site or in print media.

Long answer to a short question.

Dee

I plucked, er, tweezed my eyebrows for 20 years and it’s only gotten worse. Probably not from the tweezing in that area, but because of hormones or age or something.

I heard that with age, women get thinner eyebrows. That is true with my mother but certainly not for me. My dad’s got bushier. Got to be a hormone thing, though I was taught that hormones had nothing to do with eyebrows.

Anyway, short answer: Don’t count on it.

I must add my comment to this old thread, because I, too, used to have a unibrow (which I assume means hairs between the two eyebrows.)

I plucked them. They grew back a few times. But very quickly, after only a few plucks, they stopped growing. Today the unibrow is completely gone.

This is in stark contrast to my experience plucking and waxing hairs on other parts of my body. They just keep growing back, for years, with no sign of weakening.

Because of this, I’ve suspected that eyebrow follicles are weaker and more vulnerable to being destroyed totally than follicles of other body hair.

It’s pretty weird that others have had a totally different outcome.

Eyebrow and leg hair decreases with age, especially if you’re constantly removing it.

I wouldn’t count on it too unless you can wait until you’re really old. My mom too at age 56 says her eyebrows takes a little bit longer to grow these days and she doesn’t pluck her brows as much as she did when she was younger.

I’m a generally hairy guy, and I started tweezing the hair between my two eyebrows maybe around age 30 or so. It didn’t take many times, maybe a few months? and they never grew back. Today I am 50 and still no hair. Sometimes maybe a tiny thin colorless hair but I can remember since when.

I also know of many women who have tweezed away their eyebrows and can’t grow them back, and they aren’t all older women. Some men, too.

I guess it depends on luck or the stars.

I am interested in people’s experience with tweezing other areas of the body, including larger areas, if the hair doesn’t come back. I hear of people using epilators and waxing and the hair doesn’t come back on hardly any part of their body - men and women. If pulling hair out by the root, does it matter how: tweezing, waxing, epilators? Isn’t it all the same?

This is only the case on eyebrows and legs later in life. Epilating or waxin doesn’t remove the hair permanently. It’s a myth. It is all the same, you are correct, and it doesn’t destroy hair.

I also have a unibrown and I’ve been tweezing it for 5 years or so. Same with the hair on my cheeks above the beardline. It takes longer to grow than in the beginning but most of the hair still grows back although it’s very hard to tell because they all grow at diffirent times. I doubt I’ll ever have to stop tweezing these areas and I probably would have done electrolysis but I hear that you can’t treat hairs that have been plucked, and mine have been plucked for years…so no luck I think.

The ONLY permanent hairloss from tweezing that I got was from at the upper part of my nose like right under the unibrow. It never grew back after like 2 times. Also the hairs on my cheecks ghave become MUCH finer and barely noticeable after I started tweezing them.

Properly performed electrolysis works on any hair, and is the only guaranteed method that always works. I think you have misread this. However you are an exceptionally lucky person, as your hairs have become finer. This is not a typical response.

Well I’ve read that tweezed hairs are no longer suitable for electrolysis. And if I ever got treatments I would not count on getting the most skilled technician out there, I’m never that lucky.

Simply not true, however tweezed hairs can have distorted follicles and be a little more challenging for a competent practitioner to treat. Check your source.

I’m curious where you read this. “tweezed hairs are no longer suitable for electrolysis.” Simply put - it is not a true statement.

Hairs that are repeatedly tweezed can become coarser over time. Yet there are some people that repeated tweezing will permanently remove the hairs - as in those poor women who have overtweezed their eyebrows…sad…sad… The coarsened hairs are tough, but electrolysis is still permanent for them.

Regarding your luck…I believe that this is in your hands…

Unless I get the best of the best I have a feeling the technician will spend more time than average on those hairs ultimately jacking up the costs for me because not enough hairs will be removed. I wish I had never plucked the hair but that’s on me. But it’s good to hear that it’s possible.

And, I will pile on and affirm that electrolysis works on any hair structure, from a very tiny hair near the opening of the nose to a very coarse hair on the bikini line. Information about electrolysis that is false will most likely make it’s way here to hairtell, and that is why this site is still going strong. We like to correct misinformation here.

I am living proof that tweezed hairs can be successfully treated. I had an incredibly dense beard that I regularly tweezed for over a decade, resulting in badly distorted hairs and it has been successfully treated with electrolysis. The fact I plucked sure made things harder (sorry James :slight_smile: ), but it absolutely can be done.