TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS

Josefa started this important thread. I moved it and made it a sticky because it must not go unnoticed. Many posters are confused about what is a normal skin reaction after electrolysis. Any electrologist can feel free to take pictures and post on this thread. I will be posting soon, as well.

Josefa has started with her work:

ON THE ARMS:

ON THE LEGS:

Josefa

4 Likes

Inflammatory response & Primary lesions

EDEMA
ERYTHEMA

• No difficulties anticipated, because reaction resolves by itself.
  • Keep area clean: mild anti-bacterial soap. May use mild antiseptic lotion.

Source: Treatment Strategy for Electrology.
Regrowth, Wound healing, Overtreatment

by Michael Bono.

The length and shape of the inflammatory response depends on:

• The sensitivity of each individual´s skin.
  • The density of treated follicles in one session (in the form of isolated points if the density is minimal, and plate-uniform if the density is maximum).

ON THE BACK:

ON THE BELLY:

MINIMUM DENSITY:

ON THE EYEBROWS:

ON THE UPPER LIP:

SECONDARY LESIONS - TEMPORARY

ESCHARS
-Do not rub or pick off.
-May baths or wash to speed sloughing.

ON LEGS:

ON ARMS:

ON LOWER BACK:

ON THE CHEST:

When the follicular unit coincides with 2 or 3 hair fibers, a single crust is derived from the treatment of several of these follicles.

Hello,

I had electrolysis on my upper legs and buttocks three months ago. I got many 2-3mm scabs… one of the reasons for sure was the daily ‘sitting consequence’ - scrubbing against the chair.

Now I have 2-3mm bruise-like dots, is this normal or too tardy healing? How to speed up the healing process?

Thank you.

Does your skin take a longer time than average to heal, or is this only the case with electrolysis treatment? Perhaps your healing time has changed, and was faster in the past? Many people, according to my Dr. are zinc deficient, and this is known to delay healing. Vitamin C is also beneficial.

Congratulations on such a wonderful addition to the forum. This will help users considerably, to distinguish between normal and abnormal reactions. Students of Electrology will also find this a wonderful resource. Bravo Josefa

1 Like

Good point, Christine. I would like to see some pictures, udu. Would you be able to show us what the area looks like?

I occasionally get clients that have slow healing action. I actually fall Into that category when I get a bug bite. I still have pigmentation on my lower right leg from last June. It might as well be a big, brown tattoo. I know it will fade, but for me, it may take six months or more.

The red dots, different range of brown, or yellow (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) appear after the release of the scabs.
Some areas of the body are likely to develop this type of side effects. Inside of the thighs and arms, buttocks, bikini line, pubic area, underarms, fingers and toes.

It may seem that when the scabs are gone, the healing process is complete, however, does not so. The injury first damages the subcutis, then rises to the reticular dermis, papillary dermis and finally the epidermis. More damage and a wider pattern of destruction occurs in the deeper tissues -the opposite of a natural wound. Thus, electrolysis produces a truly unique “upside-down wound”.(Michael Bono)

The skin is a miraculous healing organ. We’ll let it do its job.

Red spots on the buttocks of a man, 3 weeks after Electrolysis:

Thank you Christine.
Dee is the promoter of this idea. Pictures “after” of all these cases will be exhibited at the end of this thread. Knowing the whole process will help reassure users of Electrolysis.

HYPOPIGMENTATION, SEBACEOUS PAPULES

This side effect is common in tanned skin, just after the summer. The white dots show the original color of the skin.
The rest of the skin will recover homogeneity when the tan is gone, or when the individual returns to submit to sunbathing. This should NEVER occur before the healing process is complete, otherwise the effect could be the opposite,ie, HYPERPIGMENTATION.

Hello!

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a picture right now but in two weeks time when I get my camera.

I wouldn’t say my healing process in long, most wounds heal fast and without any complications…

I have started using teatree oil on these areas daily and added some aloe vera gel. Is is it a good choice of should I just simply moisture?

Thank you!

Hi udujoove, for some people, these pigmentation marks can last many, many months. I am sure they will fade.

Tea tree oil is really for use as an antibacterial straight after treatment. Aloe vera as a protective layer.

At this stage, you will benefit from some good quality rosehip oil. This has worked wonders for my sister and myself to fade pigmentation. Rubbed into the areas twice daily. There is also a thread for it on these forums.

Helping Jossie here:

Doing a young woman’s legs (top of leg density was much more). Here you see the untreated hair, the immediate edema from treatment a few minutes ago, and crusts from a few days ago. (These are the crusts I want to see!)

I’m using manual blend, One-second for epilation time, tapered CM needle and 2-handed technique. (Not needing to stop and switch to a tweezer saves time).

Total time (one leg) for the first clearing was just under 4 hours.

Also, this beautiful young woman has done a lot of electrolysis with me so I reduced her rate to $50 per hour for the legs. I gave her an estimate of 25 hours for the legs and so her total treatment fee will be $1,250. (I’ll let you know how close my estimate was.)

Since I read your book for the first time, I sensed that speed, the absence of pain, the proper repair of the skin, and the best results were your peak in each of your treatments. You were a visionary of the XXI century Electrology, Michael. And I try to follow the trail you leave behind.

I have always believed that your time should be devoted exclusively to teaching, writing, and enlighten the new generation of electrologists in the world. I hope someday to see all your work together on a website dedicated exclusively to the world of Electrology, meanwhile, we continue to enjoy here the pearls of your wisdom and experience. Thank you.

Another temporary side effect: The itch.

Michael did a small exhibition in Hairtell. These were his words about it:

“Itching is a very natural part of the healing process as histamine is released to produce the miracle of healing. The itching is noticed quickly as the mast cells release their “chemical mediators.” Some patients are more sensitive, but, yes, this is most common.”

Michael Bono

The itching occurs at times during the session, immediately after the session, or when the small scabs are about to fall.
Calamine lotion, Aloe Vera, or any substance topical antihistamine will help calm this side effect.

Thanks for your kind remarks Jossie. I have always wanted a place where all electrologists could “showcase” their work and techniques. At AEA meetings I would always think: “Why am I listening to this speaker talk about some unrelated topic, when everything I want to know about the field is sitting right here in the room.”

Before electrolysis session on upper and lower lip prior to 6th session. Started upper lip in August, 2011.

After treatment, swelling and pinkness.

Insertions: 1,547. Time: 112 minutes Used an insulated 3 probe with PicoFlash thermolysis. Lip program level 2 with variations on the timing side as needed. No anesthetic, help needed.

Client never complains of scabbing. Swelling is the main side effect and disappears in 24- 36 hours. Enlarge with an iPad, if you use one, to see the hundreds of tiny black hairs that cover the openings at the nostrils. Sorry, I don’t have a before picture, but trust me, this client is looking 50% better!

Can anyone take a guess as to what might be happening to my camera? The dates are screwy. I saw this client on December 19th and took pictures within two hours of each other. The date and time stamp makes no sense on the before picture.

A magnificent work Dee!
Given that we all know that this is one of the areas most difficult and vulnerable, this is really ADMIRABLE.

(About the number of insertions which shows the machine, I have a question for you, I’ll open a thread in the section of pros.)

Dee, it looks like the time on your camera is the issue. The first picture is 11:09 pm, while the second picture is 01:01 am the following day. Correct the time setting and I think you’ll be good.

These photos are extremely helpful. I have a q regarding a side effect.
I have olive skin tone with fine hair on my cheeks. I did get scabs on my cheeks, after my initial consultation for 5 min. In the next 30 min session, the electrologist reduced the current( correct term?) on the apilus machine and went at a slower pace. I still got black scabs which have all gone but the area is bumpy and darker. I don’t see photos of what I am talking about. Not obvious big bumps, but the texture of the skin is different.Can someone tell me what causes the bumpiness and what will make it go away? What else can the electrologist do for me to not get scabs or the hyperpigmentation? And how long does this kind of hyperpigmentation last?
I finally got around to doing electrolysis and now all these side effects worry me.Thanks a lot for your time.