Silkn Reviews !

Freedom, people are here to help. They do it for free and have been doing it for years. No one is trying to offend you. There are educated professionals here with lots of hair removal experience here. The most important thing they’re trying to accomplish is to help consumers like you sift through the hype and not waste money unnecessarily.

FYI on your experience: you cannot tell anything yet with the way you’ve been doing treatments for 2 months, and that often. It’s basically like saying that waxing produces permanent removal after 2 months of waxing every 2-3 weeks. If you wax at those intervals, you’ll see the same “results”. You need to understand how hair grows in order to know when you can actually claim a permanent result has been achieved, or any type of result really. Please do some research on hair growth cycles. The way to tell if you’ve gotten permanent results is to stop treatments for at least 4-6 months and see what happens then.

I am seeing alot of input from electrologists here with markets to defend and businesses to promote and links to them.

Doing it for “free” eh? Yeah I bet. Looks like “free” advertising to me :wink:

One wonders where the real “turf war”, Dfahey is so concerned about is actually happening.

And FYI, lagirl, on MY experience: I can tell / post exactly what I am experiencing using a hair-removal product. That is exactly what this forum is intended for. “HairTell is about consumer experiences with hair removal” (See above…or the homepage of this site)

And WHERE in any of my posts have I claimed or disclaimed a permanent result or even said that was my aim?

I simply informed of how long I have been using the product and the effects I have seen thus far, how I feel about them and also that I would continue to inform of my results progress as I continue using the product.

Why do I need to keep defending this??

I am not here promoting Silkn nor ruthlessly promoting the merits of electrolysis.
I am simply leaving a CONSUMER REVIEW of a product that is the topic of this thread.

And I have been sorely disrespected for it.

I have been very honest and sincere about my experience and the ways I have seen it affect me so far.
THAT is what the original poster, ElviS, asked for.
He wasn’t asking for information about electrolysis.
Nor was he asking for the personal advice that left him depressed.

Really there needs to be a third forum for the so-called “educated professionals” to pontificate so HairTell can be the Consumer Review Forum it claims to be.
Or maybe the electrolysis promoters just need to keep to their designated discussion forum listed on the homepage under “Available Hair Removal Forums”, titled, “Professional electrolysis”.

Perhaps a new thread should be created to continue this discussion so this thread may resume its original purpose - “Silkn Reviews !”

Once again, you haven’t been here long enough to know what this forum does or provides. The regular contributors here know better than anyone that they get nothing out of this forum. How many people from one city in Ohio do you think come to this forum every year? I’ve been on this forum for years and I can tell you that I may recall ONE, two at best. So don’t worry, the professionals here don’t get much business from it. However, they DO put in HOURS and DAYS of their time FOR FREE HELPING people like you not waste their money. Helping STRANGERS btw. You should be nothing but thanksful. Without people like Dee, this forum simply wouldn’t exist as all the questions would go unanswered and there would be almost no traffic to the site (that was the case with the laser portion of the forum a few years ago btw, before I got results with the help of another forum and started contributing more along with RC2001 who has left since). This is not an easy job and we get nothing out of it except the satisfaction of helping people. You really should learn to appreciate it. Not to mention, we probably know a bit better what this forum is for and its rules.

Anyway, to answer your one point, you said that you “are seeing results”. All I did was point out that this statement is misleading. The “result” that this product claims to produce is permanent or rather long-term hair removal. You haven’t had enough treatments or waited long enough to judge whether this has happened. So you are NOT seeing results. You’re just seeing the hair being burned off. That’s the correct way to state it.

We welcome all consumer reviews here. That’s the point of the forum. But if they’re misleading, i.e. making other consumers think that it’s doing something it’s not yet (or at least you can’t tell yet), then we’re here to point it out because like I said above, we are here to try to save consumers unnecessary waste of money.

Btw, no one claims this product doesn’t work at all. But there are lots of discussions on here about whether it’s worth it given that it’s not a powerful device that can at best produce temporary results. Whether it’s worth the money is up to each individual and their specific situation.

I’ve certainly been here long enough to know the moderator of this site is extremely rude and belittling to new comers.

And you are being belittling and discrediting the input of a newcomer in a more gentle way.

I was not even given a chance to appreciate helpful feedback from certain users of this forum. My first post was immediately dismissed and discredited and I expressed it from a very sincere personal place.

Explain that please.

No one is discrediting you. You were corrected because what you said was misleading and all of us put hours of our free time to make sure there is no misinformation so that people don’t waste their money. I don’t understand what you’re upset about. It sounds like there is something else going on in your life. No one here has the time or desire to put anyone down. Everyone’s here to HELP at the expense of their FREE time. They don’t get anything out of it. Are you suggesting moderators here are belittling posters here because they have nothing better to do with their time? Do you really think that’s why they’re here for years? If that was the case, this forum wouldn’t exist.

I say move on.

Do you know what the problem with freedom is Freedom? Everyone wants it for themselves, but somehow, everyone else’s freedom should always be restricted.

You have the freedom to post here, and the readers, moderators, and long time contributors to the site have the freedom to comment on your comments.

If a number of things about your posts make it seem that you are schilling for a company, that will be commented on as well. This fact does not curb Freedom’s freedom, even though it may annoy Freedom and even inspire Freedom to use the tools of fascism when calling for the silencing of all contrary opinion.

I could take issue with someone purporting to tell ME what this forum was designed for. As much as you would like to redefine the useage of this forum, it is for consumer reviews and professional guidance. Think of it as a check and balance system. Consumers, or Sellers In Consumer’s Clothing can’t post on here that prduct XYZ is The Bees Knees without having a professional post back on the realities of the product from the professional point of view. At the same time Professionals can’t come on here and say “This is the final word on XYZ” without consumers saying what their experience with that product, company, or service provider has been.

It is because of this that long time readers of HairTell know that the national chain American Laser has bilked millions out of people without delivering on their promises, that no matter what they want to say, Global/Vector/Aaavox is selling cheaply made science kits for thousands of percent profits and the buyers are getting cheap junk that often doesn’t do what it claims to do, and that a few electrolysis providers in this industry are certifiably insane. If you stick around here long enough to become disillusioned with the Silk’n yourself, you will find this to be true.

I got an idea. Get over what ever idea of insult you have and talk about your hair removal jouney. If you are like normal people, your hair removal jouney did not begin with the Silk’n and it doesn’t end there either. Why don’t you talk about that? So far, you have talked about nothing other than this product and your insistence that no one contradict you or question the quality of your contribution to this community.

James made a valid point that whatever the seller of the product is saying should not be taken as fact. It’s mostly all marketing talk to make people like you buy the product. If you believed everything every manufacturer was saying about their product, you’d be very disappointed with pretty much all products. Try to apply it here too.

I already explained to you how I corrected what you said twice. Do I need to repost it AGAIN?

I agree with James. If you want to be a consumer contributor, post your story about hair removal overall like most other consumers here.

Let’s not bite the newcomers, everyone. While we have occasional spammers who come in here, it’s important to assume good faith with new posters like Freedom. I am going to edit and/or remove several posts in this thread, and if this continues, I will lock the thread and we’ll start a new one.

Thanks to all for comments and criticism on this new development for consumers.

What is this speech about freedom besides an opportunity to mock my name and bully me further.

How does this relate to Consumer Reviews of Silkn?

You really need to get over yourself, James, and start behaving as a responsible moderator of this forum.

Freedom,
Keep us posted on your regrowth and progress with Silk’n. I have been using it for a while now and I am curious too as to what others experiences are.

Hi:

I have been getting hair removal for a number of years.
I’ve done both laser and electrolysis. I had partial
success with laser and better success with electrolysis.

As far as I can tell this silk,n system seems like a
poor mans laser. I can’t see how it could work as well
as a professional laser system. I also see that it
needs replacement cartridges or bulbs after so many uses.
I am not sure if I would want to invest my time and
money on a system that was inferior to professional
systems or would not give me the permanent removal
I needed.

I have spent a lot of time on hair removal. In my case
it was a necessity, especially for my facial hair.
I trust electrolysis to do the job I needed done.
I would need more than a few people who’ve tried this
new system a few times to convince me that it works
on permanent hair removal, even as well as laser which
to me did not work as well as electrolysis.

Alicia

Wow…what an interesting thread this has become! :wink:

I am no professional at hair removal. Although I wish I were. I can only speak from the experiences I have had. Which is why I understand each person’s opinion and criticism I have read on here.
Let me explain how I why using the Silk’n has become to most satisfying hair removal solution I have come across so far.
Many years ago I had a fairly small portion of hair removed from my stomach (small line from my navel downward) by electrolysis. At that time I was not nearly as hairy as I am now. I loved the results, and they lasted for quite a while after that. It was a long time ago so I don’t recall exactly how long the hair was gone, but it was a while. But eventually it came back. This could be due to several different factors. I had it done at a salon and have no idea what type of credentials the practitioner had, and I only had it done once. Really that is all I could afford at the time.
Years later, like many other men became more hairy. To the point that I had it all over my chest, stomach, and shoulders. It always bothered me to the point I hated taking my shirt off. So I never really bothered keeping myself in shape because of it. So a couple of years ago I went and bought a package for 6 laser hair removal treatments. At that time I had never heard of or read such an informative forum as this one. So basically I went into not knowing anything, other than I wanted this hair removed and I didn’t care what it was going to cost. I am not sure what type of laser they used, or what settings they used. I can tell you that it did remove the hair for an extensive amount of time, but it eventually all came back. For a while it was lighter and finer, but after a while it was all back just as thick and coarse as before. But with all that aside I loved the effects that it had on my skin appearance. It made my skin look so much smoother than waxing or shaving. And it looked like there been hair there! Like I was just naturally smooth.
I have read several different people’s experiences with laser on here that have been successful. LAGirl’s diary said that she has been hair free for a few years now because of laser, and I think that is AWESOME! But I really question the probability of me having the same success it possible. I can recall the doctor at the laser clinic I went to before telling me that males are more difficult because of testosterone. I have searched for a clinic who used the same type of laser LAGirl has recommended in my area and there are none. I think the closest one is like 2 states away.
When the Tria came out I was excited. And purchased one as soon as it came out in the US. I had no reservations about it actually being permanent, but it was cheaper than what I had paid for the 6 professional laser treatments. And although I knew it wasn’t as strong, and I knew the chances of it actually getting rid of the hair forever was next to impossible. I figured that it would give me to same effects that I had loved about the professional treatments. The way it made my skin look naturally smooth, like I was never had hair there. And I could keep on using it has long as I wanted since I owned it, so I wasn’t that concerned about its permanence. But the Tria was cumbersome for me to use for several reasons. The spot size was just way to small, I could never tell if I were missing areas since the results were not immediate, the battery life was very annoying since I was always having to recharge, and most of all the pain was almost unbearable for me. I still don’t understand why it hurt me more than professional treatments. I don’t know if it’s because I know exactly when the laser is going to zap since I was administering it myself, or maybe because the doctor who did my professional treatments was very charismatic and did a good job of talking and keeping me in conversation while he did it, which kept my mind off the pain. Whatever the case, I knew that if I kept the Tria I would end up leaving it in the case and not using it eventually because I shuttered at the thought of using it each time because of how badly it hurt. So I sent it back before my 90 days was up, and bought the Silk’n.
At first I was very disappointed. The pain factor was only a fraction of what I was used to. I mean it literally felt like it was doing absolutely nothing. But I loved the fact that I could cover such a large area in a quarter of the time, and it had a power cord so I was not having to recharge numerous times. Then after a couple of weeks it happened, the hair just started falling out. Just like the professional treatments I had. And the results were much better than I had with the Tria, basically because all of the hair I covered was gone. I think this could have been possible with the Tria, but it just seemed impossible for me to do that because of the small spot size. Even though I would think I was “overlapping” like the recommended, I was always having spots left that I missed.
With all this said, I hope you can see why I am satisfied so far using this device. I agree with everyone that the Silk’n doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell of giving me permanent hair removal. But for the time being I am happy with the results I am getting. Because like I said before, I love the effects of having natural looking smooth skin. How it looks like there was never hair growing there.

My question is, why would you invest in a $800 device and keep investing in it for $80 bulbs that you have to change every 750 shots(which isn’t a lot) and still not get permanent hair removal? If your answer is because I want to, then that is acceptable. I’m thinking of the cost verses benefit ratio only. If I’m wrong about that, do let me know.

This is your first post here on hairtell:

[color:#6633FF]“I just found out something about the Tria that I think everyone here should know. I purchased it online and have been using it for the past couple of months. And I am generally happy with the results.
HOWEVER, I have been annoyed by the amount of time it takes to charge the battery, and more so the amount of time it actually stays charged. For me to do my chest and stomach it takes about 4 full battery cycles. And with three hours in between each cycle to recharge….well, I’m sure you can understand how annoying that can be.
Now, I have found out that the battery will only last 300 charges! SO, considering how many times I have to charge it, that means in less than a few years it’s not going to work. I think this is unacceptable considering I paid $1000 for this thing. And I will be returning it just before my 90 days is up.” You seem to favor the SilkN’ over the Tria.[/color] Cost was a factor, small spot size and only lasts for three hundred charges. Is the SilkN’ any less expensive at $80 per replacement bulb for 750 shots? Is that correct?

When you say you were happy with electrolysis and you remained hair free for a long time and then it came back, I must correct that last statement. The same hair that was treated is not the same hair that came back if you define being hair-free longer than six months to a year. You said you only had ONE electrolysis treatment! How could you be hair free for a long time? Hair grows in cycles and you should have had the next group of hair cycle in in week three or four. As with laser hair reduction and electrolysis, permanant hair removal, several treatments are needed for a period of 1 -1.5 years. You didn’t give electrolysis a fair try, unlike you plan to do for the SilkN’

SilkN’ may be good for you, but it is an expensive alternative for hair reduction. As long as people reading this know that this is not going to permanently solve their unwanted hair problem and it’s going to be an ongoing expensive adventure, then I’m okay with that if they are okay.

I do hope Andrea locks this thread. I may be wrong, but I feel that you have a financial interest in SilkN’. There, I said it and I stand by what I said. It’s hard to know what goes here when we discuss these issues over the internet with people you can’t see, so I have to rely on my gut feelings. Tommy, your post sounds like a commercial testimonial for SilkN’ to me. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Dee,
I accept your apology then about any assumption you may have about me having some type of financial interest in this device. My name is Thomas Wilson and I live in a small town called Wilmington, Ohio, and I work at a IT solution company there as a budgeting analyst. And if anyone needs to verify that I would be happy to give them my company contact information. You can even ask for my extension and talk to me personally if you so desire. The only business I have done with Silk’n was me purchasing it, which I did online because there were no clinics in my state that was carrying it. And that wasn’t even a direct transaction with the company, it was thru reseller I believe.

Your right, I didn’t give electrolysis a chance. At that time I had only a small portion of hair I needed removed. But know I have a lot more hair. And basically, I know that I can’t afford such a procedure for that amount of hair.

I thought I made myself clear in my post that Silk’n works for me and I am satisfied, but obviously is not for everyone. When this thread began it was someone asking for other’s experiences who had used it. But for some reason it has struck sensitive nerve with several people who haven’t. I’m not sure why.

As I have stated, I agree with the majority here that you will not get any long term hair reduction from it. But I have just been trying to share why experiences for those who were asking for them. I can’t say how costly it will be in the long run, but so far it does not seem like much. I have done my entire torso 3 times and just recently had to change the bulb. But I am pretty small guy.

Okay Tommy, fair enough. We spend a lot of precious time here fighting off scammers as they are get slicker and slicker in their approach to sell their product. I certainly don’t want to insult you or any other poster, but I call it as it feels. What I couldn’t understand about your post was the money part. You need to invest in this product then you need to keep up with the ongoing expense of bulbs only to get temporary hair reduction that will never end in your lifetime. How much do you think is too much to pay for electrolysis?

A true, powerful laser would be better than a Tria or SilkN’ for your chest. This is none of my business, mind you, I’m saying this in a helpful way only. You are a obviously a bright man and your approach is your approach.

Again, how much do you think electrolysis would cost for a pretty small guy like yourself?

Thanks for your patience.

Dee

Hi again Dee!

I can imagine the amount of spammers wanting to utilize such a site. Believe me, I wish I did have some type of affiliation with them, maybe I could score some free bulbs! :wink:

About the electrolysis. I have never really entertained the thought of having it done again because of the amount of hair I have now. It just seems like too tall of an order to be honest. One that I would assume cost me several thousands of dollars.

Cost does depend on the amount of hair you have, but there are many electrologists that can remove hair faster because of the better tools we have today. If you go to a turtle slow electrologist that does an effective, but slow mode of electrolysis, yes, that could be enough to make you want to despair because you are going broke. Laser costs thousands of dollars and can be more of a gamble. Most people get a certain reduction and the gamble part is dependent on many factors. Electrolysis is not as much as a gamble, but it is dependent on the electrologist doing it correctly.

Large areas are not impossible for a skilled electrologist to do and probably not much more costly than doing laser at home or even hiring a laser specialist. Getting lased can add up to thousands of dollars as well. At least you know that you will get permanent hair removal assured with electrolysis and there will be an end to the hair removal someday. Again, I certainly respect any direction you or anyone else chooses to take for your unwanted hair needs. I am only here to help sort through the best options available for the individuals, as is the other consistent contributers.

Thanks Tommy Wilson!!

Tom, I have a couple things on your thoughts and experiences:

1. There ARE definitely, 100%, clinics with GentleLASE laser in Ohio. Where were you looking? You definitely would not need to go far, especially not 2 states away. Candela website has a provider search. And Dee can even offer you some suggestions since she’s from the same state and knows of at least clinics in Columbus.

2. You say you don’t know why you didn’t see permanent results with electrolysis. Well, right afterwards, you say that you only had ONE electrolysis treatment. ONE. To get permanent results with either laser OR electrolysis, you need at LEAST 9-12 months of CONSISTENT treatments. This is due to the way hair grows, which is in CYCLES. Whatever you see at any one time is only a portion of all the hair you actually have on that area. Hair grows, sheds, etc all the time. You just don’t notice it.

3. You don’t mention what age you were when you started or how old you are now. But I would bet you started this in your early 20s and are now reaching maybe late 20s. My point is that men still develop NEW hair way into their 20s. If you get something permanent removed at 22, you would still need touchups on the NEW that your body will develop after a few years. This isn’t much of of an isse after 30s, but it’s definitely something to keep in mind in your 20s.

4. I personally still don’t think this device is worth it for you. Given your age now and a good laser/settings, you can get a very good reduction with professional laser treatments without the hassle of this product.

Are you located in Ohio Dee? From Lagirls’ post I’m assuming that you are. I looked at an online directory and saw a listing in Columbus…is that you? If so, you are only about an hour away from me. I would really be interested in a possible consultation on having maybe my shoulders and upper back done. Since that is the area that bothers me the most, and I am most self conscious about. I have problems zapping those area’s because of the contours of my shoulders, and I am just too embarrassed to ask someone to help me zap my back. It would be an absolute DREAM to never have to worry about that area again! That would also give you a chance to see whether you think electrolysis is even a practical solution for my chest and stomach. I have always thought I would love having electrolysis because of my skin tone. To do laser I have to avoid to sun like a plague for months to be able to do it. Because I get really brown really quick.

LAGirl: I am 34 years old now, and you were correct in guessing that I began in my early 20’s. When I had the electrolysis I was maybe even 19 at the time. Because I recall that it was the only hair that I had on my torso. I checked the website and did find some. None are really close, but within Ohio at least. At first it said there were none again, but I hadn’t filled out the procedure in the bottom part of the search engine. Maybe that what I did the first time I looked as well.

I frequently have 16 to 19 year old males asking me about doing chest and back hair removal. I have to inform them that although we can remove it all, they will experience new hair growth in other follicles as they age. The good news is that we could keep up with the new growth and they can keep the look of being clear if they come in once very 6 to 12 weeks. The amount of time needed to reclear the area will be less than the initial clearances, and they will be able to remove hairs before they become noticeable.

Of course, the other option would be to wait until most of it had come in and go at it then. The problem with that approach is that it is more hours to first clearance then, and the maintenance phase is also more of a challenge.

It really is easier to do shorter appointments over a longer time, than to do full on marathons later.