Razor bump reduction

The following pages discuss some products that can help reduce razor bumps/pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB):

Hairfacts: Tend Skin

Hairfacts: Other products

[ May 06, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Another good overview:

skinsite.com on PFB

thank you much, Andrea.

Will check it out :smile:

I have ordered Tend Skin and also the BumpFighter razor that is for black men.

I will let you all know my results.

Tend Skin works great. It can be used to prevent and treat ingrown hairs. For extremely stubborn ones, it may require some patience, maybe a week or two.

Once the hair gets close to the surface I prefer to lift it out with a needle sterilized with 91% rubbing alcohol. Then I yank it out with tweezers.

RJC 2001

Well I’ve used the Bump Fighter twice already and I can say I’m already impressed! It doesn’t “feel” like shaving, and that red irritation along my neck line has really been reduced.

Bump Fighter may have just earned themselves a customer!

My Tend Skin should be in on monday, so I can start using that also. Glad to hear you had good results with that, RJC.

Next on my list is the Black Opal line of beard softeners/shaving gels, etc.

Anyone heard any opinions on Black Opal?

Oh, also somebody said they used Bikini Zone after epilating their chest and abs to prevent ingrowns.

[ May 19, 2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Ted Striker ]

Oh, one more thing.

I’ve been using the Edge, Ultra Sensitive formula. This formula seems to be a copy of the Aveeno shaving gel, but it also has helped reduce irritation.

My next step will be to find a clear gel, (so I can see where I’m going) and a pre-shave beard softener, that’s why I’m looking at Black Opal.

Glad the Edge has been helping!

Black Opal is a big seller for African-American men, so I expect it’s pretty good. Haven’t tried it myself… :wink:

I started Tend Skin. It’s been 48 hours but no change so far. That’s okay, I am going to be patient with it, I don’t expect results over night, I think that would be unrealistic.

I’ve got alot of really slow growing hairs on my chest and abs. hahaha I can just see those little black “dots” under the bumps, just waiting to bust out. But they take forever.

I’ve got other little bitty pink bumps with brand new hairs have popped out of, but the redness hasn’t gone away yet. I hope those aren’t scars or something!

One thing is that the directions say to use a cotton ball or cheese cloth to apply, but today I just applied the bottle directly to my skin and that seems more effective for saturating the skin. I felt like with the other methods that more product was going into the cloth or cotton than was going on my skin.

Definitely keep us up to date, Ted!

A couple of hints: Use enough to make the skin look wet. That is harder when using a cotton ball, which seems to soak a lot of it up.

Wash your hands when you’re done, or your fingertips might peel a bit. I actually have to wear a plastic glove when I use it.

Scrub your skin lightly in the shower and use a moisturizer after. You’ll find that a top layer of dead skin will probably peel off after a few days of use.

Andrea thanks for the tips! :smile:

I was wondering about the scrubbing part, I was thinking to get a layer of dead skin off would help the tendskin get to where it needs to go and help it work better. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I’m going to use a washcloth in the morning.

I can say that after drenching my skin this morning, I’m already seeing the peeling you’re talking about around some of the bumps, especially the really big ones. A couple of the big ones have gone flat, and gone from red or pink to white, and there is some flakes.

That’s a positive.

We’ll see what happens after two weeks!

I found that the best way to apply Tend Skin is with a sponge applicator like what you would use to paint something. It’s something like a foam paint brush. It works great for covering large areas like the chest or legs.

Edge Pro Gel, tough beard formula also works very good and it is cheap. If you shave in the shower some body washes work very well. Suave Moisturizing Body Wash (white bottle) works great and is very cheap. Dove Body Wash is very good also.

If you’re looking for a clear, non-foaming shave gel try Air Shave, which is also made by Tend-Skin. It works very well but is rather expensive.

RJC2001

Thanks RJC.

I think somebody mentioned this before, but my recommendation is to make sure you wear shorts while applying Tend Skin.

I spilled just like two drops on my nether region and GOOD LAWD did it BURRRRNNNNNNN… :fearful:

It definitely hurts if you get any Tend Skin down there. That happened to me too and the pain was so bad I thought I was going to barf. Took about 15 minutes for the pain to subside.

Tend Skin may bleach clothes too so be careful. Also I don’t know if this is common knowledge but Tend Skin also acts like a sunscreen. If you apply it as late as a day before you go out in the sun you will notice less tanning and or burning where you applied it. It acts like a SPF 4 to SPF 6.

RJC2001

Hi, everyone. I recently purchased the Emjoi Classic hair remover from QVC. It worked fine, but of course, they don’t tell you about the bumps. I mostly got it to rid myself of this menopausal hair I am getting on my face–now my face is covered with bumps. Do they go away like regular pimples? I just ordered the Tend Skin, but last night I put OXY-10 on them! Help!

I thought that rotary epilators were not supposed to be used on facial hair. I could be mistaken though.

Tend Skin works great on ingrown hairs. Severely ingrown hairs will require some patience. If you can see the hair, lift it out with a needle and yank it out with tweezers. Sterilize the needle first with 91% rubbing alcohol.

RJC 2002

RC

Thanks RJC, and another question for everyone. I go to the tanning room about three times a week. Should I lay off the visits temporarily, or perhaps the heat will help? Thanks! Joan

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by RJC2001:
<strong>I thought that rotary epilators were not supposed to be used on facial hair. I could be mistaken though.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>These devices should not be used on male facial hair, but there are rotary epilators designed to remove women’s facial hair. My recommendation for further research would be the Braun Silk-epil Facial Hair Remover EF-20.

Tend Skin can also be great for drying up a blemish-- I had Mount St. Helebs about to erupt on my cheek the other day, but a Q-tip with a little Tend Skin cleared it up in about 30 hours! :grin:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by cushions88:
<strong>Hi, everyone. I recently purchased the Emjoi Classic hair remover from QVC. It worked fine, but of course, they don’t tell you about the bumps. I mostly got it to rid myself of this menopausal hair I am getting on my face–now my face is covered with bumps. Do they go away like regular pimples? I just ordered the Tend Skin, but last night I put OXY-10 on them! Help!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>You might also try a cool damp washcloth immediately after, followed by 100% pure aloe gel (not lotion or cream, and no additives like menthol).

Definitely avoid sun or tanning beds until your face has settled down. Also, avoid makeup unitl it’s not red.

Hey Ted, I remember you from the Nisim boards. Did you stop using Kalo?