question for the pros

I will upload photos when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for showing interest in my situation. It’s a thin line for me. I was finally starting to have a positive attitude in that I was beginning to deal with this hair problem. Now I feel cheated. It’s hard to know who to trust because the electroligist I went to is extremely reputable. I don’t care to slander the name, not at this point anyways. But they told me this is no concern. There is too much time,money , and emotions that go along with this process so I want to do it right. This is frustrating

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x457/jtoliver43/earlygrowth3.jpg

this is an example of an area that was completely cleared. this is my shoulder. treatment date was on Nov 22 and this picture was taken on Dec 5, 2 weeks after clearing. notice some hairs are tapered and fine, and some hairs are blunt and look just as a hair would after being shaved, there are even some ingrowns

Oh yes, “instant regrowth” for certain. I tweeked your photo a bit in Photoshop so you can clearly see the blunt returning hairs. If you had never shaved or waxed this is indeed instant regrowth. A really “beautiful” case, if I may say so. I wish I had this for my book! This is as bad as it gets. (Sorry to say this.)

For those viewing with an iPad, stretch the picture with your fingers to enlarge again. It doesn’t look great.

How to proceed from here? Any chance you can get a refund or even a partial refund, tr?

If there is anything positive about this situation, it is that you have discovered this after the first clearance, and not much later on. Consider having some short sample treatments with other practitioners, before resuming further clearances. This is a very amateurish attempt.

this is the exact conversation between me and the practitioner concerning this issue…

Me: Hey *******, I’m starting to get substantial regrowth in all the areas that you treated, i was just wondering if this is normal? I feel like it’s still a little soon for the next cycle of growth. But I could be wrong

Electrologist : Hey Trey, it’s not the same hair we treated, it would be too soon for regrowth from our treatment. What you’re seeing is stimulated new growth which can include your new cycle. It’s not a bad thing because you will have more hair present at your next visit. Just shave once a week to keep it all active.

ME: Hey *******, this is a picture of the regrowth that I am seeing, this entire area was treated on the 21 and 22, and is already back to the same amount of hair, isn’t it too soon for this? I’m not trying to knock your work, I’m just worried that with my luck, I’m experiencing something you have never seen before

Electrologist: It would be too soon for regrowth from the electrolysis even if it was really bad work. It does seem a little too soon for that much new growth. There has been a couple times where I have seen this before but it was a beard which included neck. I literally saw that person twice and then they stayed local for clean up because they presented the majority of their hair in two visits which can sometimes happen to people who have a lot of hair like you so I’m not concerned yet.

ME: Most of the hairs I’m seeing are blunt on the ends, as if they were broken. They are not fine and tapered as a newly growing hair would be. Could this mean the insertion was to shallow for these follicles? And the hairs were broken instead of killed?

Electrologist: new growth hair is always going to be blunt on the ends; it has to be in order to get through the skin. If, it were not, it would possibly become an ingrown hair. Soft tapered hairs which have been treated with electrolysis is a regrowth hair because it was not killed but rather “broken down” by the treatment you also see this type of hair with previous laser. a broken hair would cause a puss like ingrown because your body would see it as foreign and reacts that way.

“… new growth hair is always going to be blunt on the ends; it has to be in order to get through the skin.”

"Soft tapered hairs which have been treated with electrolysis is a regrowth hair because it was not killed but rather “broken down” by the treatment … "

Madonna Mia — Pizzaria!
The G-D “breaking down process.” I’m sick.

Indicate your city and state for referrals.
If you do not want to note it on your profile, send us a pm.

Im sick as well, and not really sure what to do from here. I am being told that this is no big deal by the practitioner, and keep in mind this is someone who is very reputable. I dont know if im just an exception to theyre usual work or if im being undertreated for more money, or what. Shoot Me!!!

I’m not a pro, but! Unless you’d shaved the area shortly before treatment I’d guess that those blunt hairs had been pinched off with sharp edged tweezers. Mike, I’m a little confused ( as usual :wink: ) surely new growth would be fine tapered hairs growing into thicker hairs as time progresses? To me with my very limited (still) experience blunt hairs would indicate either shaving or similar (hairs cut off at skin level?)

I doubt that most electrologist’s would intentionally under treat you for more money. Generally, we are so busy that we look forward to seeing our clients finish so that we can move on to helping others.

The electrologist needs to be skillful and knowledgeable. O’Connell’s suggestion to visit others and have short treatments and then decide is a good idea.

Oh yeah, good suggestion Arlene, et. al. !
Please, check around and “test-drive” the next one(s).

Hi Folli’ how are things in the good old UK?

Imagine a REALLY missed insertion that only “takes out” the upper third of the hair. The therapist removes the hair, but only the upper part of the hair comes out; the full lower follicle (and hair) is untreated. In this case, the hair separates at the thermal junction and is removed.

The current causes the epidermis to cover over the partially treated and growing follicle. The poorly targeted hair continues to grow because it was not affected at all by the currents, but now has a blunt “burned off” end.

The growing (not re-growing, but still growing) hair pushes up under the epidermis, causes a minor infection (of sorts) and erythema. And, there you have “instant regrowth.”

The guy explaining this gave a perfect explanation and the timing (in days) was also exactly perfect for this situation to show up. There is no other explanation — period.

How can this happen? Very bad insertions. I have even seen people insert a full 180 degrees off from where the follicle was. Still the needle got in the follicle but only burned off the very upper part (and hair itself).

A good electrologist will never see this … and that’s probably why you have never seen this. Any and all modalities (using HF) can produce this if the insertion is that screwed up.

Test drive might be all he has…
We can’t make referrals if we do not know what city he lives in.

Excellent clinical eye Michael, you have a diagnosis of the problem with a short description of tr3, and you hit the target at the first attempt. I believe that I am not exaggerating if I say that you are the best teacher of electrology that anyone can dream of having.

The sad case of tr3 is clearly exposed on page 75 one of your book, Treatment Strategy for Electrology. So that for those who believe that the book is “out of service”, please take another look.

I agree with my colleagues tr3, luckily you discovered this now. Please, do not condemn the Electrolysis by a poor hands, most are very competent and you are going to find someone, I’m sure. Good luck next time!

(Michael, I know that you gonna kill me…a bit of mercy for a recidivist?)

I definatley have a lot of ingrowns and puss sores in the areas that were treated. This sucks because I really liked the people that I worked with, they were extremely nice and I was under the impression that they were some of the best around. I was even pondering as to whether or not my hair was just to strong to kill, but I guess y’all seem confident in the fact that I received poor treatment. What a mess, 3 brutal days of work, travel, food, hotel etc… and now this

Your hair is not too strong to kill. No hair is too strong to kill. Many of us (electrologists) are probably smiling at those words, T. Try to recoup your money and move on. :slight_smile:

Michael, if they were using blend method on tr3y0248, even with the poor insertion as they did, the result would be better?
Thank you

Possibly, since blend and galvanic are generally less sensitive to probe placement than thermolysis. Also the client is probably more likely to be aware of bad insertions with blend, since the probe must be in the follicle for a longer amount of time and you typically feel much more pain when the insertion is bad (I am doing electrolysis on myself and I discovered very quickly that poor insertions are not fun :eek: ). However, there are many factors involved in blend and if the practitioner is clueless then you will still get poor results.

Somehow the notion that the blend does not require "perfect insertions” has summarily been accepted as gospel. I don’t know from where that idea came.* Furthermore this idea has evolved into the belief that “blend operators tend to be more sloppy” in their insertions. I don’t buy it. Nothing can compensate for a bad insertion. We are dealing in microns, for God’s sake, not millimeters.

On the other hand, I have discovered that the “dedicated blenders” usually think that the type of bad treatment we have seen here is the result of “flash thermolysis.” This is also a very incorrect assumption. I have seen “instant regrowth” resulting from poor operators that were using virtually all modalities.

Remember, we can only depict (draw) a follicle and needle insertion in 2-D. Consider that a missed insertion encompasses a full 360-degree range of potential error. Nothing can compensate for superb lighting and magnification … and, a good steady hand.

Your statement “ … and if the practitioner is clueless then you will still get poor results.” Sums up my take on this sad affair.

*Doesn’t “not ending a sentence in a preposition,” sound stilted? It’s amazing how the English language continues to change. However, I still refuse to say: “Where are you AT!” Avoiding this grammar error, Churchill once said: “This is the kind of language up with which I shall not put!”