Paradoxical hypertrichosis - pictures included!

I am considering electrolysis after a horrible experience with “medical grade” laser hair removal on the front (up to beard neck line), sides and back of neck. I was very unfortunate to get “PARADOXICAL HYPERTRICHOSIS” which is basically more dense & coarse hair after laser hair removal. Having a read of some peer reviewed research, I am “high risk” for PH as I am Asian - brown skin with black hair. So, not really unfortunate. I have had over 30 LHR treatments with my last one in May 2023.

I am now looking for advice on electrolysis. Will I be a suitable candidate? What problems will I encounter? How long will it take?

Refer to pictures.

You’d be a good candidate for electrolysis. Neck can be sensitive area so might need to use icing or numbing cream for treatments. with your skin type PIH is definitely going to be an issue so using high SPF sunscreen will help and all PIH fades within 6-12 months after final treatment. As for how long it will take is question your electrologist will have to answer based on their experience and speed of work.
When you start treatment, I’d recommend to stop shaving the area but just trim it. When did you stop laser treatments? Laser tends to delay hair cycles so you might see more hair sprouting later on.

1 Like

My last LHR was in May 2023. I understand it depends on the electrologist but, I am curious to see what other qualified professionals think. I had a consultation a week ago. She told me she has been doing this for 30+ years. Would require me to come in every week. Due to the vast amount of hair, she said one week she will do on one side of the neck, then the other side the following week.

She told me about the stages of hair growth and after reading some of these forms, she is a “Anagen” only electrologist, as she she stated the hair must be in the “growing” stage in order to kill the hairs.

Lastly, what benefit would numbing cream do? It does not penetrate the deeper layers that the needle targets?

It sounds about right. Generally more accurate way is to measure in hours. You will require several sessions per week depending on how many hours you can do per session and how many hours a technician is willing to work per session. As for numbing cream, you may not even need it so try a session and see how you tolerate the work.
It doesn’t really matter if an electrologist says “anagen only” (that’s just textbook, theory stuff). At the end of the day if they’re using correct technique and energy settings, they will be killing hair follicles. Signs kf good electrolysis is you should not feel needle insertion and you should not feel any tweezing or plucking. The only time you’ll feel something is when energy is delivered.

1 Like

So, she only does 1 hour appts. She stated she can get 300-400 hairs in 1 session. I do believe I have my expectations in check. I am expecting skin reactions - oedema, erythema, folliculitis & hyperpigmentation. Based off my experience with LHR, I’m a bit skeptical about weekly appts. I’m not sure my skin will heal within time.

You won’t be getting folliculitis since treated hair is extracted so nothing clogs your follicles unlike in laser where you wait for your body to shed the dead hairs. You won’t know what kind of reactions and how you heal until you start your sessions. From there you will work with the electrologist to properly space out treatment accordingly. Usually post treatment manifestations resolve themselves within few days and don’t linger for weeks on end.

@Bono @Iluv2zap

I’m afraid Mr Bono wont ever respond as he has passed.That said, I dont think I can add much that hasnt already been said, electrolysis should work fine, and yes it does appear like there has been some paradoxal growth. There isnt a whole lot else to add, assuming you have a good qualified electrologist you can go to there really arent any "not good candidates " for electrolysis. It may be just me, but I find I dont see as many cycles of growth on PHT so it may not be as time consuming as you think. It’s really a case of just do it and move on with life.

2 Likes

That’s sad news. Believe me, this is not “some” PH…. Don’t be fooled by the brown Asian skin tone. I grew hair in areas that I’d never seen before on my neck. The hairs at the back of my neck before LHR could be trimmed (not shaved) and looked neat and tidy, without dark shadows and prickly hair. Now, my hair is EXTREMELY dense and thick, that even after shaving, I can feel the prickly hairs as I swipe my hand across my neck.

Also, you are right - just do it and move on with life. I am certainly at that stage now.

I’ve decided to get the sides and back of my neck done. I will leave the front alone as it’s not too bad. From your experience, how sensitive are those areas?

@Hairadicator @LynneD @Andrea @Deedra

I had that area of my neck cleared with electrolysis about 25 years ago. Those hairs are much easier to clear than facial hair. Have them start with the lowest ones you want cleared, and then be very specific about where you’d like the line to be.

1 Like

I understand what you are dealing with. Andrea is right however, it’s easily dealt with. I was going to say that this type of hair doesnt seem to have the consistently strong cycles of growth. You kill it…and it diminishes quickly. The real problems start when this is performed over large areas such as the torso, this can become quite time consuming . Without a hormonal influence however we see neither more hair generating nor consistent growth over long periods.

1 Like

I am so sorry you are going through this. Laser operators should be aware of the enormous side effects their machines can cause and should warn clients accordingly. I agree with the comments already made. Your electrologist should perform a patch test on you at consultation. This will indicate how quickly your skin heals, they can also adjust the customise the current/probe size etc for you. The weekly treatments will cover one area only until all areas have been treated. You won’t have to have weekly treatments forever though so don’t worry. As the hair diminishes your treatments will get further apart. If your electrologist uses the flash method you will be done fairly quickly as this current ranges in speeds from 100th to 1000th of a second. I use Cataphoresis with Yi-Zhibaume after each treatment, this modality returns the skin to normal pH levels, is antibacterial and calms any redness and swelling therefore it prevents any skin reactions. This is a non negotiable for my clients, their skin returns to normal within an hour post treatment. Good luck with your electrolysis journey, I can promise you with the right electrologist, you will not regret it.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. That’s the tricky part - finding a competent electrologist. I am slightly concerned with the lack of experience electrologists have with people of my skin colour and hair density. I had an electrologist reject carrying out treatment on me. She said there were too many hairs, the risk of hyperpigmentation is very high, as well as not having enough experience with people of my skin colour and hair. The last electrologist I seen seemed calm, but I could sense a form of uncertainty after I asked if she has experience dealing with people of my skin tone.

That is very worrying. I have skin of colour as do some of my clients and family members who I treat, all with no issues. Practitioners should understand that our skin can get hyperpigmented or even hypopigmented, therefore extra care must be taken not to over treated and cause injury to the skin (not a difficult thing to do). The reason we have a patch testing and consultation process in place is to ascertain a clients’s suitability, to select the correct current/modality to epilate hair without traction and without over treating. This should be the norm regardless of skin tone. It is something which is usually part of our training, but also professionalism plus common sense must prevail with darker skin tones. It’s not rocket science. I’m sorry you’ve had to experience the treatment you have. Electrolysis should be and is as far as I am concerned, totally inclusive. Thankfully, I do not personally know of any electrologist who would refuse a treatment based on skin colour. That is totally unacceptable. You have been very unfortunate.

Hands down, you need electrolysis. It will precisely remove every hair. You must find a good practitioner that can move this along. If you can get some 2-3 hour slots at minimum, that would be ideal. I can’t believe you had 30 laser treatments!!!

Tbh, I didn’t make it out to be such a big deal, but when you put it that way, it gets me thinking…. Oh well, the past is the past.

Hey, I was just a go with the flow, laid back university student. I did not deep anything! I don’t blame anyone apart from myself. That’s what frustrates me the most!