Nose hair

I have some hair inside the nose that is annoying. Is there anyway to get this removed with laser by the laser operator doing some contortions with his/her hand and my nose!?

Simple answer-no. Maybe electrolysis. The mucosal lining on the inside of the nose is very fragile. I would anticipate a bad reaction to laser in this region. My humble opinion.

they can laser, but outside of your nose. so depending on where the hair is, yes.

He did say the hair was INSIDE his nose.

yes, what I meant was that they would laser from the outside to kill the hair on the inside. it would penetrate deel enough usually.

This may not be the case in this person’s case, but typically the people coming to me looking for nose hair removal have hair on the part of the nostril that is above the upper lip, and on the side of the middle. I admit that I am not the authority on this one, but I would be afraid to find out that LASER spotting the upper nostril would kill hairs on the lower portion of nostril, having passed through one set of skin, the air, and the next portion of skin that joins the upper lip. If that is true, one would have to worry about spot size, and such, and much more hair than one wanted would be treated.

I may be wrong here, but I think one wants to be VERY selective on this type of work.

you’re right in that sense. the part that can be done with laser would be whatever hair is on the other side of the skin that is being lasered, obviously. the parts that James is talking about should be done with electrolysis.

Well, then. That is the issue, since many folks say that electrolysis on the interior nasal area should NOT be done. Some will do it of course, but I read that the bacteria on the skin may contaminate one’s blood via the insertion of the needle. A low occurance perhaps, but a significant problem if true. Is this real or can my hairy nose be cleaned up by my electrolysist? Do you do this, Mr. Walker?

There is a possibility that a treated nose hair situation could lead to death due to infection. Since one thing electrologists have learned is NOT to trust clients to practice good pre and post treatment care, to say nothing of the litigiousness of many Americans today, the majority of electrologists will not perform this service for anyone. Those who do, would only do so with someone they have done a significant amount of work on previously, and feel secure that excellent pre and post treatment care will be followed.

I shy away from getting too close to the opening of the nares, but like you James, I will venture a little closer if the client has demonstrated hygenic habits.

The hairs just inside the nose and beyond are there for a reason. Nature designed us to have hair in our noses to filter out harmful or pesky substances that could harm our lungs and other passages that could interfer with the exchange of oxygen.

Clipping the hairs for cosmetic purposes would be better in sync with mother nature’s perfect design.

Dee

The hairs just inside the nose and beyond are there for a reason. Nature designed us to have hair in our noses to filter out harmful or pesky substances that could harm our lungs and other passages that could interfer with the exchange of oxygen.

I have heard that argument before, but it doesn’t seem very logical considering that:

1. A majority of women have no signficant terminal hair inside their noses (and around their ears), and maybe 25 percent of guys also don’t ever get nose hair.

2. Of the guys who do get nose (and ear) hair, most only start developing it in their late 20s and beyond. So why did nature not protect us for the first 30 years of our lives?

Lasering on the top of the nose to get the hair inside the nose sounds pretty interesting since I have never heard of anyone doing this.

1. A majority of women have no signficant terminal hair inside their noses (and around their ears), and maybe 25 percent of guys also don’t ever get nose hair.

I’m a woman and I have nose hairs. All women have nose hairs. Everybody has nose hairs. It’s just that my nose hairs and most women’s nose hairs don’t grow long and/or thick.

1. Of the guys who do get nose (and ear) hair, most only start developing it in their late 20s and beyond. So why did nature not protect us for the first 30 years of our lives?

The hairs have always been there. The hairs are hormonally induced to grow longer and thicker when some men get older.

btw, have you ever tried plucking/tweezing your nose hairs? If you pluck/treeze just one nose hair, then you would feel the horrible excruciating pain and never want to have something as painful as electrolysis or laser done in your nose. The inner nose is a very sensitive area.

Tembo:

I’m not presenting an argument here, but rather I’m presenting to you something called the principle of “natural selection” that has evoled over a long, long period of time in the humain chain to help the body adapt to its environment. It’s basic high school anatomy and physiolgy.

Nostril hair, medically known as vibrissae, is present in babies, toddlers, teens, and adults, with aging men who are genetically programed to develop accelerated hair growth in this area, showing the grossest interpetation of nature.

Scientifically accepted fact: Nostril hair screens the air we breathe. It filters out dust, pollen, irritants and large particles (like bUgs) that might otherwise collect in our precious, vital organ called the lungs. Think of nostril hairs as a hallway with protective doors.

Bend your neck and look up the noses of all age groups, you will see hair. It comes in all different sizes from lanugo (soft, small) hair to terminal hair (thick, copius hair).

Lasering the hair from the outside is the proceedure used, however, I have never heard any feedback as to how effective it is. Would be interested to hear from any consumers on this one. It would hurt like a banshee to lase or to do electrolysis because again, nature is telling you to leave it alone as it is meant to protect the respiratory system. If mother nature could talk, she’d say, “Just clip it and leave me alone”.

Thanks tembo,

Dee

none of the lasers on the market have a small enough head for this area anyway. invest in a $100 electric nose hair trimmer. thats a fraction of the price of one laser treatment and i think it would work better anyway. laser has a poor track record on facial hair of any kind.

yes, they do. what do you think the “smallest” head is? how big do you think does it have to be to treat on the outisde of your nose? you are talking without knowing any details. that’s dangerous.

[Comment removed by moderator. Please, no name-calling.]

he’s talking about the hair that protrudes from nostril/columella border. its usually inside the skin fold of that area. really impossible to reach the root of this hair.

jimmyjames, you need to get a life or get counseling. being bitter doesn’t help anyone here. how many people are thankful that you posted? i can answer that easily. not many. your presence won’t be missed. there is a reason why i’m a top contributor, btw at the expense of my time for free, and you’re not. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THERE IS A REASON WHY I GOT RESULTS FROM LASER HAIR REMOVAL and am happy (and you didn’t and are not).

Nose hair can be treated from the edges outside or inside with a small handpiece ( anywhere from 5 mm to 10 mm ) depending on what laser is being used. One should only treat the edges, as the hair is there for a purpose to filter out dust, pollen, etc.

OK, but if i trim the hair, I lose the filtering anyway, so if I laser (and it works), the its just a permanent affect (I hope). I really want just the outer hairs removed, so i have no stubble showing at the inner rim of the nostrils, which i find to be unattractive…

If you have an electrologist who will treat your nose, you would do better, as you really only need the few that petrude beyond the skin line removed.