Newbie journey

Since reading these forums helped me so much in finding the ambition to start my treatment, I wanted to document it in case it helps someone else, and also get feedback from many of you experts along the way.

I am a light skinned mid-30s female who has used daily tweezing and occasional waxing on my upper lip and chin for many years. I remember a single dark hair appeared on my chin when I was 20 and I would tweeze it and it would be gone for months. Somehow over the past few years the number of chin hairs has rapidly increased. My upper lip use to be slightly darker hair but over the years they have increased in thickness and color. I would tweeze daily, sometimes getting a few and if I had skipped a day I’d get dozens.

I had considered laser in my early twenties and paid $50 for a consult, but didn’t want to grow out my facial hair and the price tag was $800. After reading these forums I’m glad I didn’t go through with it.

Over my last pregnancy I developed hyperpigmentation on my forehead, nose, upper lip, and chin. I thought it was just melasma, but when makeup wouldn’t cover my upper lip and I realized the dark spots matched where the hair grew, I started feeling anxious and depressed. I tried lightening creams, color correcting makeup, nothing worked. I saw on these forums users mentioning that stopping tweezing and having hair removed through electrolysis could heal skin. But I still couldn’t fathom going through life without tweezing and having all this hair growing on my face.

The final straw was running into a coworker I hadn’t seen for a while. She said "you have something right there’ pointing to my upper lip. We were both humiliated, and my entire day was ruined and I just wanted to cry. For the first time in my life I felt hideous.

After looking at all the providers in my area, I ended up calling for a consultation to a clinic ten minutes from my home (my electrolysis is Actually listed on this site). I stopped tweezing that day and have not tweezed since.

At my consult I ended up getting a 30 min treatment. The pain was very mild and I was somewhat red and swollen. My electrogist wanted to do sessions every other week, but I was so upset of the idea of having two weeks growth that I started crying right there, so she agreed to treat me weekly for the first month.

By my second session a week later I had sparse coarse beardlike hairs in half dollar sized patches on each side of my chin, and more coarse hairs and dark thin hairs on my upper lip. I noticed sometimes my electrolysist has to zap the hairs more than once to get them to come out without tugging. She once again was able to clear the area. After this treatment I had some more intense swelling and pustules after treatment. After reading the forum I figured it was something I was doing and not my provider because the redness was minimal by bedtime the day of treatment, and the reaction seemed to be over the two days after treatment.

I just had my third weekly treatment yesterday. I had much less hair this time and none of the super coarse hairs, but enough that felt stubbly. She was able to clear the whole area in the 30 minutes. She told me she thought my hair was looking thinner already and she was thinking that with my growth cycle that we had seen and treated the coarsest Of my hair growth. I was a bit reluctant to believe that, but she has 30 years experience. I made sure not to touch my face at all following this session and only patted some witch hazel on the area with a cotton ball a couple times. This seemed to help minimize any further reaction from my skin. .

Next week is my last scheduled weekly session and I’m hoping we can move to longer twice per month sessions, just so I can save a bit of money. I love how I feel after my sessions (no five o’clock shadow) and I can’t wait to see if my hyperpigmentation starts to fade. Although sofar in this process I notice I feel down in the dumps and anxious the day before my treatment session when my hair is visible, and more like myself and hopeful after treatment.

1 Like

Heads up it takes a year or more to get rid of all the hairs, but hopefully you already know this. You might try shaving (I know it’s awful, but still better than tweezing during electro treatments) if you end up having the urge while waiting too long between sessions.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes I know there’s no quick fix and I need to see it through the year at least. If my hyperpigmentation started fading it would be easier for me to tolerate the growth. If I get hung up on the real length of treatment it gets hard to stay mentally strong so I’m trying to take it one week at a time.

I’ve been counting around 75-80 hairs being removed per 30 minute session, that seems pretty slow right?

1 Like

How long is the actual zapping time? Instant or 10 seconds?
Does she use a microscope or magnifying glass?
How long does she take to look for the next hair after a zap?

Pustules and whiteheads generally develop when there is some kind of contaminant to the area, or if there is a metalurgical sensitivity to the nickel in electrolysis probes. All stainless steel contains nickel to some degree and most but not all electrolysis probes are made from stainless steel.If you react badly to cheap jewelry, then chances are you have a nickel allergy. Gold plated probes from ballet have no exposed nickel and their use is recommended when there is a nickel sensitivity. Other than that, keeping the area clean, no moisturizer no makeup no facial scrubs, no perfumed or dyed soaps, basically if it’'s anything other than pure water it’s best to keep it away from the treated area. This especially includes your fingers, which often have dirt and oils we dont even realize on our fingertips, so, if you touch your chin because it feels swollen, best use nitrile gloves. Otherwise you will wake up to a chin full of pustules.

The treatment, sounds perfect to be honest. HAving to re-zap a hair to get a clean release is not a sin at all in my book and isnt going to lead to overtreatment. Quite the opposite, if the hair does not die due to insufficient treatment more damage can be done.
Dont sweat hyperpigmentation, if you are prone to it it’s likely you will have some throughout your treatment,. But the others are right that if you had that quantity of hair on your face as you describe, it will be a 12-18 month process. I know its hard on the pocketbook, but that is how long it takes to do the job.It will be a slowly dwindling time and money investment though.

Seana

1 Like

Thank you Seana. She does seem slower than what I have read on other posts but she seems very thorough so it seems preferable. I actually do have reactions to cheap jewelry so I think you’ve got something there. My skin did so much better after this round of treatment: I did have a few pustules on my chin for one day, but I have figured out where the contamination is happening: holding small children!

If you react to jewelry,then switching to a gold probe ( which means no synchro) will resolve the pustules likely completely.

Had session number four today and the redness was gone within hours this time. Another clearance of weekly growth complete. We booked two more thirty minute weekly sessions and then will skip a week because I plan to be away. I’m nervous about what my face will look like with two weeks growth. We decided to see how I do and possibly continue on a two week schedule or go back to weekly sessions.

I have been using a facial sunscreen with SPF 70 to try to keep my hyperpigmentation from getting darker, but I can’t apply it the day of treatment correct? It stinks having to hide inside. I feel like a regular baseball hat doesn’t provide enough coverage for my face.

Sounds like you have a plan, MrsV, with an experienced electrologist.

Pustules can also mean the energy level is too high. That happens to my clients especially in the beginning. Some of the hairs are really tough to shake loose. When I re-enter some follicles two or three times, so it slides out, this can cause pustules. Sometimes, a piece of the root sheath may linger behind and it becomes a foreign object, so the body responds with its invisible army to surround the object and gobble it up, thus the pustule formation. Whatever the cause, give your electrologist feedback. She may want to make some adjustments.

Keep pushing on.

1 Like

I think I have a lot of lingering sheaths…they are like little white flakes that pop out of the pores. It’s 48 hours until my next treatment and I still have some scabbing and redness. My chin only has a few new hairs this week but my upper lip has a ton of new growth. It’s making me feel like I’ll never see the end. Is it normal to start feeling self doubt in your ability to make it through treatment around this time? I know I can’t quit and I’m still so early in the treatment process, but man this is rough!

We all have high expectations when we first start… It will literally take a year or more to get rid of your hairs! You’ll get disgusting skin for weeks after every treatments, so if you get them 2 weeks apart, chances are it will constantly be that way… Until the treatments are finally over and you won’t have any more hairs, look at the bigger picture (suffer for a year to never have to worry about hairs on your face ever again)!

if that’'s what they look like yes they are probably root sheaths. They are bits of gelatin like substance and they dry out quite quickly. The easiest way to be rid of them so they dont cause a pustule? Wash your face with a washcloth.Thats it! They come off easily with a simple wipe.

Hang tight, it will be rough for another couple of months. You WILL get there and see a reduction. I have people commenting on my chin and how it looks so much better than it used to.

I soaked my chin in epsom salt and warm water after treatments. It seemed to help me with the swelling, pain and the pustules.

Thank you everyone so much for your supportive words! I think I am having a harder time with the condition of my skin than having to have hair on my face at this point. It’s impossible to conceal with makeup. Is there any treatment strategy to help with this or is it simply a matter of sucking it up?

The first 5 or 6 treatments/clearances can be the worst, then things can get better for you?

If a client keeps telling me they are upset about their skin reaction, I would try different strategies. If they are still unhappy, yes, they may have to suck it up or stop doing electrolysis. I can only do my best because I do care about the client’s concern.

If they are freaking out about a few pustules or few pin point scabs after I try different ideas to minimize those skin side effects, I tell them that we should stop treatments. You see, I need to disable hair follicles and sometimes there is a trade off between having a few temporary skin side effects and thoroughly treating the hair follicle so it is permanently disabled.

1 Like

Session #5 in was yesterday. My provider tells me things are progressing just as they should. She cleared everything with time left over so worked on the darker thin hairs I have under my bottom lip. It’s funny how hair that was never a problem before now stands out when you’re getting treatment. Lastnight and this morning the only redness I still have is leftover from my skin’s reaction from last week’s treatment.

Next week is #6, then we’re taking a week off, then #7, and I’m not sure if we’ll get one in #8 or not before my provider goes on vacation for two weeks. Hopefully we can manage a twice per month schedule because her office is moving and will be another 20 minutes further away, and I’d like to save a bit of money.

Yesterday evening I had a lot of rootsheaths coming out so I tried the washcloth trick. No pustules this morning but I have so many scabs now it looks like I was attacked. 😳 Luckily I have two more days to recover before I go to work. I guess I need to chose my battles with this.

If it was gold probes that were used, they are uninsulated and can cause some more scabbing than insulated probes but the scabs should be insignificant. Wiping away root sheathes (and other contaminants in the process) resulting in no pustules= a win.

Seana

Give her / him feedback about your healing. She may be able to make adjustments. Don’t ever rub off or pick off the scabs. I like cold aloe right out of the refrigerator immediately after a treatment and I like when the client uses it at home for the first three days. It can lesson the appearance of scabs.

1 Like

Tomorrow is my weekly session and I have more dark thick hair growth this week than I have seen in the past couple weeks. Today I still went out to do things, ran into an aquaintance and pretended I was just fine but the whole time we talked I was screaming in my head "PLEASE DONT NOTICE MY GOATEE!’ Make up can only do so much. 😑

It has been almost seven weeks since I have tweezed (and the last time I tweezed I only took two hairs). What are the chances these thick dark hairs have been previously treated vs are new growth?