Ketsele’s Progress Photojournal

Hiya folks! I just had my first non-consult electrolysis session and I thought it would be excellent to journal my adventure with progress photos!

My game plan is once-weekly electrolysis sessions, and I currently have insurance reimbursement for electrolysis in areas coded under Body.

This session: 5-Apr-2023, 30 minutes

Area(s) tackled this session:
Right underarm

Hair removal history for right underarm: extensive removal of hairs via uncontrolled trichotillomania from onset until recovery in 2016, or controlled shaving from onset until July 2021. Attempted home waxing two or three times. Exclusive removal via rotary epilator from August 2021 to January 31 2023, after which resumed shaving-only. Consult removed 38 hairs. Last shaved March 29.

Before photo taken ~50 minutes before session, after photo taken ~75 minutes after session.

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with plastic wrap to right underarm area 45 minutes prior to session.

Modality: thermo

Discomfort: tolerable; painful but not awful or anything. Some spots more pinchy or intense, others totally mundane. The burny armpit sensation on the ride back home or changing my shirt upon arriving home was worse than any of the actual session! Discomfort notably reduced ~75 minutes post session, feels almost entirely normal ~18 hours post session. Felt slightly tender when lying down/turning over to sleep for first 2 nights. Activities that cause friction in the area (like hand washing dishes) fine after day 3.

Aftercare: occasional spritzing with Briotech Topical Skin Spray. Electrologist applied an aloe vera gel to the area immediately following session.

((I haven’t seen any discussion of Briotech on the forums; you can read the piercing pioneer Elayne Angel talk more about it as a product here and her experience with it to heal a stitch-needing wound here.))

Plan for next session: Resume work on right underarm.

I had a lot of fun this session :D.
My electrologist and I actually talked about HairTell! They talked about how the forum has become a really positive place to learn a whole bunch of stuff over the past few years (though they aren’t really active on it themself); I talked about reading, like, everything XD and even learning about laser as a consequence of being super interested in how the wound module and healing works! ((They said that they are so glad I’ve already read up about it and have an idea of what to expect; it seems the people-managing part of preforming electrolysis is the most exhausting part)). We also talked about Mike Bono and his work, how much he contributed to the field, and also giggled about how he was a bit of a rebel.

Ooh they also said they had found an interesting study about why removing the hair from the follicle during treatment is so important! Aside from not knowing what you’ve treated if it’s not removed, they said that the study talked about how because the follicle is killed it can’t shed the hair, and the hair isn’t built to be able to decompose inside of the follicle—and so just leaving a piece of dead hair in there for a long time can lead to infection :o!! Very cool, it made me think again about the big differences between permanent reduction/removal. What do you all think, have you heard of or read that study before?

Pure silliness to end with:

At first I was thinking I could name the thread Ketsele’s Pretzels, like it was a little store name XD that sort of naming theme is popular on some forum communities I’ve been on + it sounds really cute! But then I realized that was silly AND ALSO kind of the point of permanent hair removal is that I won’t have to pretzel my body anymore to remove hair, so it would be extra silly /laughs

Thanks for reading ^^

2 Likes

During the week I made the decision to trim the hair rather than try to time shaving it a couple days before my appointments; timing the length of the intended hair growth vs whether my skin was untender enough to want to shave wasn’t a great internal debate haha. Plus the telogen hairs get to stay treatable so that’s friendly! . . . Mostly though I just dislike shaving and am relieved to have a different solution.
Luckily my Braun Silk-epil 7 that I’d been using to rotary epilate for the past 2 years came with a foil shaver attachment and a 5 mm hair trimmer head! I wasn’t sure how good it was going to be, or if I’d have to actually get a dedicated trimmer, but it does the trick fine.

This session: 12-Apr-2023, 30 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 60 minutes

Area(s) tackled this session:
Right underarm

Before photo taken ~4 hours before session, after photo taken ~3 hours after session.

Total time on right underarm: 60 minutes

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with plastic wrap to right underarm area 50 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: A lot more painful than last time—which I was expecting, given my ovaries had been pinchy and awful for 4 hours prior in the afternoon. Many of the zaps felt close to what I imagined my pain tolerance for an underarm to be. Discomfort notably reduced ~2.25 hours post session (watched a movie to distract myself), felt totally normal and able to resume friction activities like hand washing ~20 hours post session. No sleeping discomfort rather than a slight stiffness the first night.

Aftercare: occasional spritzing with Briotech Topical Skin Spray. Electrologist applied an aloe vera gel to the area immediately following session.

Plan for next session: Finish work on right underarm, and begin work on the left underarm.

We also talked about when to zap the areola hair, and I guess since it’d take such a short amount of time we can pretty much fit it in whenever. If it wasn’t for lidocaine occlusion being a tad bit awkward I think I’d definitely just do it next session inbetween arms; but I don’t know how I feel about having 2 wrapped underarms + plastic on chest XD just a little silly! I guess that is the reason my initial gut feeling was inclined towards oral painkillers over skin cream, not that I can’t work with both. Well, most of what I’ve read has said that the areola is not a particularly painful area anyway.

”Ketsele’s Pretzels” silliness to end with:

I just wanted to share this kitchen measurements conversion chart, it’s really good? I cook using the kitchen scale whenever I can but this stuff is still real useful.

Thanks for reading ^^

Lots of stuff this session, so let’s get straight into it!

This session: 19-Apr-2023, 45 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 105 minutes (1h45m)

Areas tackled this session:
Right underarm
Left underarm
Both areolae

Hair removal history for left underarm: Same as right underarm history, except trichotillomania was much worse on this side, and it was not touched during my initial consult session.

Hair removal history for areolae: Tweezing to remove the hairs. Last tweezed February 10 2023, now only occasional trimming. But also, funny highschool storytime later.

Before photo taken ~1 hour before session, after photo taken ~2.75 hours after session.

Total time on right underarm: ~85 minutes

Before photo taken ~1 hour before session, after photo taken ~2.75 hours after session.

Total time on left underarm: ~10 minutes

Photos pending for cropping/combining, before photo taken ~1 hour before session, after photo taken ~4 hours after session.
Total time on areolae: ~3 minutes max for a clear on each areola

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with a cut-to-fit plastic (from a quart bag) for both underarms, and disposable pasties for areolae, 30 minutes prior to session. Before occlusion I tried the rub-in every 3m30s technique from this post. I did not do 5 times of a small amount of cream, however, because I started to feel a bit woozy & tinnitus-y after 3, unfortunately. I washed some of it off before occlusion and felt better by the time I arrived at my appointment.

Modality: thermo for all areas; power on Instantron Spectrum K raised by 5 for areolae vs than for underarms.

Discomfort: Right underarm not nearly as uncomfortable as last session; pain on par or lower than first session, except for some unexpectedly gnarly feeling hairs. Areolae were a wonderful break of, “wow, this basically doesn’t hurt at all! If my legs are going to be like this I’ m so excited. XD”. Left underarm not too uncomfortable, only a handful of sensitive spots (probably helps that it hasn’t seen 3 sessions+a consult yet!). After the session, less discomfort on the car ride home than even consult for both underarms, and areolae feel like nothing happened. No discomfort at all in left underarm several hours later. Right underarm still a bit tender and sticking to itself a bit which is slightly stingy.

Aftercare: occasional Briotech spritzing. Electrologist applied aloe Vera gel to areas immediately after finishing each one.

Plans for next session: Resume work on left underarm.

Aaaa. I’ve decided I’m tired and will give my storytime later haha x3. Oh oh but I learned there’s a new Electrology school in Centralia, Washington!! It was briefly mentioned to me last week /sweats at my 2d reading time/ but I couldn’t remember the name of the city. But yes I believe it is called Zap Master Electrology! I’d found a thread as recent as 2021 from someone in Washington who wanted to get some electro-education and would have to fly across statelines to get it, so I wanted to make sure to mention it :o!

Yes, our very brilliant colleague, Stephanie Shields, has opened up her new school in Centralia. She’s a great person and a great educator.

You look like a great candidate for laser hair reduction on your underarms. I think you would be really happy with the results. It’s quick per session, like 5 minutes per side and highly effective, but you may need an electrologist to tap a few whispy hairs later down the road.

Oh I am so glad to hear that. Reading comments about the state of some electrology schools that folks were able to find 10 years ago made me feel so disheartened for everyone. “The schools should at least teach everything I’ve been able to learn just from reading posts on HairTell!” Hahaha. It makes me really happy that things are getting better.

Oh really! Thank you for that feedback Dee; I had always assumed my hair too light to laser with good results.
Because my insurance is reimbursing me for body electrolysis, for underarms I think I’ll stick it out with just electro.
BUT I don’t have coverage for pubic hair, which is extremely similar in denisity and general look to my underarm hair—simply darker & a bit coarser/thicker—and I’ve read very good things about laser for that area. So (assuming I am not being too presumptuous that is) I will certainly keep your feedback in mind for that!
I am wary of laser’s tendency to have true regrowth 2-7 years later, however; in my brain that translates to laser actually taking longer than electrolysis, even if the short term effects are quicker, since I tend to think very long term. So the hard part would be finding a laser practitioner as phenomenal as Nora.

Very satisfying looking progress today!

This session: 26-Apr-2023, 45 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 150 minutes (2h30m)

Left underarm

Before photo taken ~1 hour before session, after photo taken 3.5 hours after session.

Total time on left underarm: ~55 minutes

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with a cut-to-fit plastic, and tried taping some corners down with body tape this time (which worked pretty well! Felt a little tight but kept it very in place.). I did 3 small rubs 3.5 minutes apart into the area beforehand which worked well; I think the sheer quantity of areas last time was probably my problem.

Discomfort: Weirdly really painful this time around, the last 15 minutes were pretty tough but I managed. It was almost like I didn’t occlude any lidocaine at all in sensation. I didn’t remember to record it last session but I had taken an anti-histamine allergy med close to when I left home last time, which I think helped me out in more ways than I thought. (A lot of people come to sessions right after working from home, and a lot of my electrologist’s clients got pets right after work from home happened—and I’m allergic to pets.). I didn’t take an anti-histamine this time around and I think the reduction in swelling would have been very welcome.
Post-session discomfort is still growing less and less; I was in little enough discomfort that I did some shopping right after (wouldn’t have wanted to do that before) and by bedtime felt totally normal.

Aftercare: Once or twice a day spritzing with Briotech. If things feel dry later on in the week I’ll spray with Aloe Vera juice instead.

Plans for next session: Finish left underarm, and begin work on lower legs.

We talked this session about the future game plan now that we’re making some full clears in areas and moving on to others;
I could think of a lot of pros to treating areas as a full growth cycle came in: skin gets more time to heal; electrologist gets to get into a better non-interrupted groove while working; much easier to document for photo journals. But I couldn’t really think of any pros other than ‘it always looks smooth’ to treating areas as little bits of hairs grow in (and I guess that really is the main pro to it). My electrologist agreed that, especially if I’m doing a photo journal, since we’re looking to clear many areas that clearing as growth cycles come in is probably best; but ultimately it’ll end up depending on what I’m most comfortable with. I love our cool chill convos :3

I mentioned the comment I received that my underarm hair looked like it’d be great for laser and that stemmed some really cool convos :o I learned that my electrologist actually knows a whole lot about laser hair removal (and is certified in it! I am a litte worried I’m not remembering the real word they said but I think it was certified). They said a potential issue with laser in my underarms is that while my hair is really dense and thick, the roots tend to be blonde or really light. They went to show me a hair to give me an example, but unfortunately my angle at the light meant I couldn’t see any colour and could only see the general “thick hair with big ol’ rectangle at the end” shape outline |D oops.
I learned it’s also a thing that folks with a combination of ‘fine/thin skin and dense/thick hair’ tend to have the most problems with the hair itself causing physical discomfort when it touches the skin. I seem to have that hair/skin combo, and yes, I definitely relate to that. I never understood why so many people online only discussed the discomfort that happened if they shaved, since all of my hair-related discomfort has ever come from not shaving. Maybe that’s why it’s always been such a rare treat to find other people who say things like, “I just find my hair agitates my skin if I let it grow”, if it’s a specific skin/hair combination thing. (My body hair also ties circulation-cutting knots around little portions of my skin in some places if it gets really long. Not fun!!)

We did talk about laser hair removal in regards to pubic hair; I wondered when people tend to come in for touch ups for that with electrolysis and I guess it’s just kind of all over. Some folks come in right after laser, some after 5 years; but most people who see almost 100% true regrowth after laser see it within 6 months, they said. (It also often tends to be related to hormonal changes—notably pregnancy—but being post-hysterectomy, that is simply not an issue for me; and I’ve been told many hysterectomy patients seem to have more stable hormones in general.) Hearing that much regrowth tends to happen so close to ending laser is comforting, because my idea of post-laser anxiety was that someone would be anxious about, “will all my hair suddenly grow back in,” for years after.
They also said it can be disheartening seeing a lot of progress 12-18 months into post-laser electrolysis and then new regrowth can make more hair appear than there was at the very beginning; but because of how my particular timing with getting everything I want to do will probably work (I had arms+underarms, legs, areola, and pubic hair listed on my consultation sheet), the turn around time for when we’d get to that not-insured, (therefore comes later) area could potentially time out really well for me. Quite exciting! Well except that 3 of the over 10 laser places nearby are under active investigation right now, so it is a tread very carefully thing.

Ahhh lots of thoughts. But I never shared my silly story (about areola hair) from last time so I should do that!!!

Silly areola hair story:

I think this was in my Freshman highschool year (3 highschools and 3 middle schools so it’s all kind of a blur tbh). I had no areola hair at the time; and I overheard 2 girls gossiping in the mostly empty locker room that [paraphrasing] “Hair around the nipple is really gross and that [they] didn’t understand why the few people who had it don’t shave it off”. ((The answer is that calling people’s body hair “gross” is rude, and also probably that it’s extremely awkward to remove that hair in any way but plucking)) And I was like, “oh yeah, that would look pretty bad, huh?” And for SOME REASON, even though I had 0 visible hairs in this area, I was still like “hhhhhmmm I sure should shave that area even though I have no hair there” totally makes sense. And now that I’ve read it like 20 places across HairTell that shaving cannot induce growth I’m 90% sure this was just coincidence—but just one or two weeks later I started getting full blown around areola terminal hair growth! And I was so upset!! I was like /blubbering “If I wouldn’t have heard those stupid girls talk about these hairs I would have never shaven when nothing was there and I wouldn’t have awakened the area and grown these hairs” waaaahhh Hahaha poor little me.

It was a big part of why I’ve never messed with my above-the-lip vellus hair though. There’s enough of it that my partner has once or twice complained about being able to see it esp. if I’m outside in the sun, but I’ve always refused to shave it because, “my hormones have changed a lot since the last time I removed any facial hair (birth control and DHEA supplements), what if it turns really dark or thick if I shaved it?” because of my experience with the areola hair oops.
Knowing what I do now, well, I still don’t see a lot of reason to mess with it . . . I think light-coloured above-the-lip hair is cute. And all the other hair I remove is for me, after all, so it’d feel a bit awkward to remove it for someone else. It is a little annoying when I want to spray my skin with aloe or Briotech or anything else and the mist droplets onto the hair though. Like “no this isn’t for you, shoo!” Haha.

Thanks for reading ^^

Another satisfying day.

This session: 3-May-2023, 45 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 195 minutes (3h15m)

Left underarm
Left lower leg

Hair removal history for lower legs: A bit weird. Even if I’ve always loved the smooth leg feeling, it was too frustrating and a losing battle to convince late-elementary school classmates that I (a non-binary person) was not “finally becoming a normal girl” if they saw me with bare legs in gym. Which set me up to feel like I had to hide from everyone else that I shaved by wearing gym pants, but some of my many schools only allowed gym shorts. So between that and other stressors, I eventually gave up on it for a really long time. When I tried to shave again in college I got a bunch of ingrowns (presumably since I’d started wearing exclusively long socks?), so I stopped quickly then, too. I think I’ve used my rotary epilator on my legs about ~10 times but it never became habit as it just didn’t get smooth enough.

Before photo taken ~1 hour before session, after photo taken ~2 hours after session.

Total time on left underarm: ~90 minutes

Before photo taken just before electrolysis, after photo taken ~2 hours after session.

Total time on lower left leg: ~10 minutes

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with a cut-to-fit plastic to left underarm only; thankful I won’t have to worry about it for the legs, since the cream’s a bit of a nuisance. Also remembered to take my anti histamine this time!

Discomfort: Only the very worst spots like the very center of the underarm and the very top next to the knee were notable, the rest was easy to ignore. The leg right next to the knee was an interesting sensation–dry and very aware of the heat.
Very little post-session discomfort, leg felt normal on the ride home and underarm only mildly burny. Shopping after!

Aftercare: Spritzing with Briotech if the area feels uncomfortable (and after arriving home). Last week I had tried spritzing my still-healing right underarm with aloe vera and the newly healing left underarm with the Briotech, and I noticed that on the right side with aloe vera, the skin felt much drier and less elastic than the Briotech side. So I think I will stick with the Brio HOCl.

Plans for next session: Resume work on lower legs.

I am so excited! I am thrilled for my next session already because it should be all legs, which are nothing (pain wise) compared to underarms haha. It feels like so much got cleared in just 10 minutes, so I can’t wait to see what can be cleared in a 4.5x or 6x longer time!! (Ofc, the spots that I’m familiar with as the most painful to epilate, will also be surprisingly smarting, but that’s okay.)

Kind of a leisurely note: When I go out, I’ve been wearing knee-high or thigh-high socks with skirts for years now. (Or shorter socks, beneath an ankle-length skirt). But in lieu of just-electrolyzed legs not appreciating tight-fitting high socks, I wore no-shoe toe socks with my knee-length skirt today . . . so when I went shopping today after my session, it was the first time in actual years I had ever gone out somewhere with bare legs exposed to the air. It was really nice??? The air flow is just so comfy! :o So now I am even more excited than before to have hair-free legs for maximum leg fresh air enjoyment in my future! /laughs

This session: 10-May-2023, 45 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 240 minutes (4h)

Left lower leg

Before photo taken just before electrolysis, after photo taken ~3 hours after session.

Total time on left lower leg: ~55 minutes

Took anti-histamine an ~hour before appointment.

Discomfort: The dry and hot sensation of leg electrolysis was worse than last week but not too bad; the intensity varied a lot between different spots. I noticed less discomfort whenever I was talking, which I hadn’t noticed for underarms.
Went shopping afterwards, but the walking around left my leg stingy and sore after a while. An hour or so after returning home, no discomfort remained. I’m curious if I’ll be able to feel the spot on my leg against the bedsheets when I go to bed?

Aftercare: I was told that since there’s less bloodflow the further from the central-body one goes, electrolysis in the extremities will take longer to heal (than my underarms/areola, the latter of which was !super! quick) and might look a little gnarly after a few days. Also told to keep it elevated and apply aloe vera the day after.

Plans for next sessions: Resume work on lower legs, and revisit right underarm in ~2 weeks (or whenever there’s enough hair, just need to get at it again within 8 weeks).

We were able to do such a large area today, I was/am very giddy about it! My electrologist’s expecting the area we did last week, should look pretty normal again the next time they see me; and the area we did this week, should look like the smaller area did today. I don’t mind it, I (wear pajama pants most of the time anyway) get to galivant around with my badge of progress :3

This session: 17-May-2023, 45 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 285 minutes (4h45m)

Left lower leg

Before photo taken just before electrolysis, after photos taken ~3 hours after session. We made a lot of progress so the before photo definitely doesn’t show nearly all of the space we did; I’ll try to find a pre-any electrolysis leg pic I took (though my partner is the one with the good camera so it might be long deleted).
Mostly the “just did” spots are the very pale pink areas and the “last week” spots is (what is on the before photo, and) where there is scabbing! The scabbing was visible 5 days after my prior session and is totally normal for legs :3

Total time on left lower leg: ~100 minutes

Took anti-histamine an ~hour before appointment.

Discomfort: I hadn’t slept very well the past half-week because of the heat wave in my area, so I was expecting it to be worse than last week, but it actually wasn’t! Other than the area right above the foot (which was surprisingly intense!), any discomfort was minimal.
Such an impressively large area was covered :3! so the after-appointment light burny sensation lasted for a few hours. I had wondered if I’d be able to feel the spot on my leg against the bedsheets last week, and while I was maybe mildly to not at all aware of any sensations last week, this week it was like a moderate awareness of the sheet against my leg? Not really uncomfortable per se unless I lied on my left side for an extended time, though. No discomfort the day after or onwards, which has been the norm since I think appointment 3.

Aftercare: Last week I took several 30+ minute walks to keep up circulation in my legs for healing and I felt that helped a lot, so I think I’ll maintain trying to do that. Trying to keep a leg elevated while sitting up is way too awkward though : ( either it pulls the back of my knee or puts too much pressure on the back of my butt, not to mention it’s not possible for me to lean back from anything and still see it very well due to my poor eyesight, so no leaning back while watching something on my tablet for me. As always, Briotech has worked fine for me.
I’ve been thinking of picking up one of Jerome Nicholas’ shae butter products that has beeswax in it (I’ve been buying from him since way back when he only had one item for sale!) for my surgical scars. The idea is that (paraphrased from my memory) along with the shea/cocao/red raspberry oils doing their normal awesome buisness, the beeswax is supposed to help it form a kind of “artificial scab” which helps the scar fade/heal quicker. Along with my scars I might experiment with it on some post-electrolysis sites that are at least 3 days old. My legs are healing perfectly fine but if I brush against the scabs by accident they are so loud! It’s only happened once or twice but it always spooks me because I don’t want to brush them off by accident haha. Having a buffer layer where I wouldn’t have to worry about that as much might make me feel a bit better.

Plans for next sessions: Next week more legs, then go back and do more work on the underarms & areola in 2 weeks. Also we’re finally breaking into the hour-long sessions next week : D

1 Like

This session: 24-May-2023, 60 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 365 minutes (5h45m)

Left lower leg

Before photos taken just before electrolysis; after photos taken ~3 hours after session.

Total time on left lower leg: ~160 minutes

Modality thermo, took anti-histamine an hour before appointment.

Discomfort: This was the first hour long session, but despite the added 15 minutes of leg time there weren’t any additonal discomfort problems to speak of during the session, well aside from the very first hair taking me a bit by surprise :p. It was a bit too much for me to do any light shopping afterwards though; trying to walk around made me feel a bit ill. Was all good after a relaxing evening, though, and straight to normal (well, greater than normal, tbh) activity the next day.

Aftercare: pretty standard, spritzing the just-treated-area with Briotech once upon waking up, once before going to bed, and then whatever middle day times I feel I need to (usually none by a few days after the session).
I haven’t gotten any walks in, but I’ve been So! Busy! with re-organizing my entire apartment all the way from the whole kitchen to each & every closet, that I’m definitely still getting that extra leg bloodflow in. (That’s also why this is so late!)

Plans for next session: Re-clearing both underarms and areola, now that enough hair is on the right underarm (the first area we tackled).

The end of a session always creeps up on me! Honestly getting the chance to just chat with someone about fun things, however the conversation flows, is one of the highlights of my week.

The inner calves are so funny. Usually on my legs, by about day 5 post session, I’ll see some standard leg scab marks. For the calves, they were extremely visible, covered in healing scab marks by post day 2! /giggles/ I probably didn’t notice until this time around because we’ve only did a bit of calf until now. I’m glad that I did my research on how it should look beforehand (and made sure my partner knew what it might look like, too). It’s definitely a look :p.

I got to see a Super Cool Chart with all the different body areas and (among tons of other stuff) how many weeks the hairs stay in anagen for per area! I also learned that it’s counted from the latest appointment in a given area, not the first appointment in a given area. So like, @ the time of my appointment, we’d started my right underarm 7 weeks ago–but we’d done the last session in that spot 5 weeks ago–so the 5 is what counts. The variety of hair time is pretty wide! Legs are pretty chill at 10 weeks to be in anagen, but pubic is Not Very Chill at 4 weeks. I think I’d read the info scattered across HairTell before but it was so neat seeing it all consolidated >:3

This session: 31-May-2023, 60 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 425 minutes (6h45m)

Both underarms (clearing for the 2nd time)
Both areola (clearing for the 2nd time)
Left lower leg

Before photos taken ~1 hour before session; after photos taken ~2 hours after session. (No new before-leg photo).

Total time on right underarm: ~105 minutes
Time for this clear on right underarm: 20 minutes

Total time on left underarm: ~103 minutes
Total time for this clear on left underarm: 13 minutes

Total time for each areola: ~6 minutes max
Total time for this clear of each areola: 3 minutes for right, 2 minutes for left?

Total time on left lower leg: ~185 minutes

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream with a cut-to-fit plastic (from a quart bag) for both underarms, 50 minutes prior to session. Also took anti-histamine 1 hour before session.

Modality: thermo for all

Discomfort: (In order of sequence we cleared them in) The lidocaine worked phenomenally on my left underarm, so there was very little sensation at all. Last time I did areola I had occluded lidocaine to them and this time I did not; while it was not very painful at all I was still surprised that my left areola caused more discomfort than my left underarm!
My right areola was slightly more painful than the left side (makes sense). The right underarm didn’t occlude quite as well as the left, but it was on par with my right areola so not very bad at all. Overall the underarms were so much more tolerable than last time I did them, wonder how much of that is from my accumulated extra hours of experience via legs haha!
Other than one or two hairs closeish to my knee, I actually don’t remember any discomfort for legs today at all.

Aftercare/calf adventure: So I had mentioned in my last journal that my left calf (and only my calf) was covered in many scabs after just a few days. I thought it was odd but otherwise normal looking based on photos I’ve seen here, but it was actually very alarming to my electrologist!

This is how it looks now, a week post-session. +UPDATE looking well improved just 3 days later.

The 3 hours post session photo for the same calf, included in just the last journal, looked totally normal to me at the time . . .
Update photo below:

We brainstormed a few things that it might be (Heat, although they’re not using very much? All of the heavy lifting during my apartment renovations, since I lift with my legs? Maybe my legs don’t react to the briotech as well as my underarms?) and they gave me a Zensa Healing Cream to use on my legs once or twice a day. They’re hoping that + not moving as many apartment boxes, can help clear out the scabs, since they can’t work on that part of my leg until the scabs clear out.
So I’ll be using the Zensa cream (which smells very nice!) once in the morning and once a few hours before bed for the week for my legs, and the briotech for my underarms & areola in the same intervals (I will probably forget the areola after a few days though if I’m being real here!)
It’ll be interesting seeing what the calves do, both this week with the new cream and from this point on as we’re treating them. There was no additional discomfort during my calf treatment than any other part of the leg, and I thought it looked just as happy as the rest of my leg before the relatively spontaneous and plentiful scabs appeared. Hopefully it is as simple as changing aftercare & relaxing a bit more–plus, and I just had this thought, changing out the pillowcase for my between-the-knees pillow. It would be a pain in the butt if my calves were actually just more sensitive >w<

Update I actually washed all the bedding (well except for the comforter–our apartment driers can only arguably even handle blue jeans, lmao) I thought that would help since my legs have a lot of contact with the bedsheets. Wish it was easier to find JUST flat sheets and fitted sheets without having to buy overpriced fancy sets. . . then I could acquire a surplus of them to switch out weekly.

Plans for next session: Continue on left leg if the calf scabs clear up reasonably this week; otherwise, switch over to the right leg.

1 Like

This session: 7-June-2023, 60 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 485 minutes (7h45m)

Left lower leg (cleaned up most of the front)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis; after photos taken ~2.5 hours after session.

Total time on left lower leg: ~220 minutes
Modality, thermo

Discomfort: For whatever reason, this whole session was quite painful! We turned down the heat a bit (hair release after the heat reduction was still good) but I think I was just sensitive today. I’d been moody in the early afternoons for the past half week pre-session, so perhaps something to do with that? Or, and I only thought of this while I was in the car going home, because I forgot to take my anti-histamine? Oops. Definitely wouldn’t have thought it’d make that big of a deal for legs . . . I had some occasional phantom pain twinges in my leg for the first ~hour after session. Leg felt fine once I woke up the next morning and onwards, though.

Aftercare/skin care adventures: I brought in some of The Butters products for my electrologist to see for fun today, because as a self-proclaimed skincare snob I thought they would appreciate it /giggles/ It was a lot of fun, they even took photos of a couple of scents they liked so they could look it up later! I learned that, for my salve I got (meant for surgery scars), the beeswax/coconut oil/soybean oil make it fantastic as a salve, but not as something to go on a still-open wound like electrolysis. I also learned that if I pinch the scar tissue a little bit before putting the salve on, to break it up, that the salve can be even more effective which is super exciting!!
The Zensa cream worked really well on my calf and leg the week coming up to my appointment! The only problem being that, whenever I smell it, I get a stomach ache :x It’s not a suuper big deal, since I can’t smell it when it’s already on my legs or anything (it’s just while I’m applying it), but in response, my electrologist gave me a weeks-worth sample of a . . oh I can’t remember what it is actually >< but it’s a white scentless cream that’s anti-microbial and anti-[something else]. Unlike the Zensa cream, which I used twice a day, this one only gets used once a day. I don’t think it’s a lotion like how the Zensa seems to be a lotion (?), it gets really slimy if my leg gets wet for any reason even a couple of hours later.
My leg doesn’t look quite as good at 4 days post-session as it did last week using the new white cream, so I think the Zensa works better . . . or at least, my leg benefits from being moisturized regularly in some way? I thought about it because, I don’t think the absence of daily Briotech on my legs has any positive effect. Honestly it would make sense if its absence is only bad or neutral for it, because of what Briotech IS. I think it’s just that only using Briotech and not moisturizing my legs wasn’t enough for them, since in the “clean/tone//moisturize” world (or whatever the sequence is, I think there’s a 4th step in some models but I’ve never followed it since my face gets under-eye welts any time I put anything or apply much pressure at all on it . . .), some people use and swear by Briotech as a ^toner^. But that’s not like, the last step? Just thoughts I had.

Plans for next session: Apply a lidocaine ring around the ankle and big/second toe to get those spots, and then do the back of my lower left leg.

It’s getting more and more impressive, comparing my left leg to my right leg, and seeing just how much more hairy the right one is xD

This session: 14-June-2023, 75 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 560 minutes (9h20m)

Left lower leg (including big toe & second toe & ankle)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis; after photos taken ~2.5 hours after session.

Total time on left lower leg: ~295 minutes
Modality, thermo

*Occluded 5% lidocaine cream to toes & ankle, and took anti-histamine, ~60 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: Removing the toe hair was . . . odd? The physical sensation wasn’t something I could actually interpret as that painful, but the amount of tension that it spread through my body and the way it made my hands clench would make anyone think it was super painful. Really weird. My ankle was numb from the lidocaine, especially the inner concave ankle section, so it wasn’t too notable. When we did the back of the leg very close to the back of the knee though, it was intense enough that I decided I’ll use lidocaine in that spot next session when we clear it.

Aftercare/skin care adventures: I stuck with the Zensa cream for my leg since that seems to work well for me; had my partner help me apply it each morning and night to help with the stomach ache part. I spritz the leg with Briotech, too, a few minutes before putting on the Zensa to kind of prep/clean the area extra. I was widlly busy this week so there were some days I could only do the Zensa once a day and I think even one day I didn’t get to it at all.
Something that’s kind of funny to me–my inner ankle/top of foot (and some of my knee) got a little scabby, but meanwhile my toes look like absolutely noting happened to them. I thought at first maybe the bit of scabbiness was just because of the sheer activity I had this week to do (so I was pretty much always wearing long socks, to cover my legs) but like, my toes are in the socks too! Especially cause they’re toed socks. Haha.

Plans for next session: Finish the back of the left leg, do the left knee, and start on the lower right leg.

I remember when I had electrologists clearing my feet and toes, my legs would involuntarily spasm and reflex. I thought feet would be a piece of cake to clear but after so many clearances and I still never achieved 100 results so I gave up to save $$.

I definitely had some of those spasms while working on the boney center part of my leg! One time it was like I could feel the zap travel all the way up to my forehead and I lept off the table a tiny bit >w< it was unexpected but kind of funny.

This session: 20-June-2023, 75 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 635 minutes (10h35m)

Left lower leg (back of leg, and knee)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis; after photos taken 16 hours after session (no bad reason why, just got distracted).

Total time on left lower leg: ~370 minutes
Modality, thermo

*Occluded 5% lidocaine cream to knee & back of leg right under knee, and took anti-histamine, ~60 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: The lidocaine right under the back of my knee was definitely helpful, but doing the back of the lower leg was still pretty uncomfortable all the way til about halfway down my lower leg. I was really glad I was lying on my stomach for this area, since it meant my knee was pinned down and my leg wasn’t able to jerk around. I was told that when people wax their legs, this is the worst part pain-wise to get. Well, I guess that’s just another point towards why I decided to go for forever results! Haha. By the time we got to doing my knee, the lidocaine had been occluded to it for an extra hour and so there was basically no sensation at all there. Thank goodness! We had enough time left just to start some of the left side of my knee this session.
Despite the session itself being in a more uncomfortable spot, everything felt pretty normal by the time I arrived home.

Aftercare/skin care adventures: Admittedly I forgot to do anything most days, but if I went more than a few consecutive days without using any Zensa my leg kind of actively hurt a little bit? My leg is looking pretty good though; some of the were-still-healing areas from our first week(s) on the legs are almost invisible now! And I still haven’t seen anything like the level of scabbiness that happened with my inner calf again. For everything that happened to it the back of my leg’s looking pretty happy, and I only have a few tiny scabs on my knee.

Plans for next session: Finishing up the back of the leg and the right side of my left knee.

We’ve just done the 2 clearances of my underarms and areola thus far, but I started really noticing reduction in the hair that still exists in those spots during this week :3 The hair that is there seems much lighter and sparser already, very thrilling!

This session: 27-June-2023, 75 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 710 minutes (11h50m)

Left lower leg (all-around detailing work including top, back, & side of leg + around the ankle)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis.

After photos, well that was a little funny for this session! Because it was all detailing work, and maybe also because it was lighter hair?, I was not able to visually identify any spots that were clearly an “after” equivilant of my “before” photos. Usually it’s obvious to me what part of my leg just got zapped and that helps with taking photos, but this time it just wasn’t. I was hoping it would be clear the day after, but it wasn’t, and it never did become clear; no scabs or anything, honestly my leg is looking pretty great. So instead, I took photos of the 2 places I could find that still have hair left, and a comparison photo of my left leg with almost no hair remaining next to my right leg which has not been touched yet! I took these photos 6 days after my appointment.

Total time on left lower leg: ~445 minutes
Modality, thermo

*Occluded 5% lidocaine cream to knee (which we didn’t end up doing) & back of leg right under knee, and took anti-histamine, ~60 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: A weirdly painful session, regardless of where on the leg we were; I think that just happens sometimes, especially since I had gotten too hot in the car ride over, and forgot to have a pre-session snack & was a little bit hungry when we began. I would have put lidocaine around my ankle if I’d known we’d be doing that spot today and not doing my knee at all, but it ended up not mattering too much–since the discomfort threshold was so low it all kind of mushed together haha.
Since we’ve been working on my left leg for so many consecutive weeks now, some of the areas that used to be scabby are looking really good now! But, I noticed that my lower leg felt kind of raw if it rubbed against my bedsheets when I turn over at night, for as many as 5 nights after my session. I wonder if it’s a combination of just how many areas we covered, plus the “new” skin from all the combined healing being more sensitive?

Aftercare/skin care adventures: Zensa cream rubbed into my leg every few days, and occasional Briotech spritzing, too.

Plans for next session: A third clear of my underarms and areolae, then returning to lower leg work. I can’t use much lidocaine without becoming tinnitus-y and woozy, or extremely tired, and I need it for the underarms; so if we do my knee it’ll probably just suck lmao.

1 Like

This session: 5-July-2023, 90 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 800 minutes (13h20m)

Right underarm (all but just a few hairs, maybe because they were a different probe size, or maybe because of inflamation?) (third clearing)
Left underarm (all) (third clearing)
Both areola (third clearing)
Left lower leg (a few hairs at the very front, then some at the left and right side up near the knee)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis, after photos taken ~3 hours after electrolysis. Apparently we didn’t get a before photo of the leg this time!

Total time on right underarm: ~149 minutes
Time on right underarm this session: 44 minutes

Total time on left underarm: ~133 minutes
Time on left underarm this session: 30 minutes

Total time for eeach areola: ~7.5 minutes max
Time on each areola this session: ~1.5 minutes

Total time on left lower leg: ~445 minutes
Time on lower leg this session: 7 minutes

Modality, thermo

Occluded 5% lidocaine cream to underarms, and took anti-histamine, ~80 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: Not a bad session! Both underarms were kind of “whatever” and very low in discomfort (I didn’t even realize more than 10 or 15 minutes had passed when we had been working on the left side for half an hour, haha, so I was very in the worked-on zone), and areolas felt like very little.
Buut when we got to the leg, the front bit (which we’ve done some amount of work on, touch up or not, pretty much every week for a month+ now) it was just as painful as last session–pretty painful–so I think that’s just my body complaining at the repeat procedures. When we did the fatty calf area to the left and right of my knee, that part wasn’t too bad at atll.
Being my first 90 minute session, this is the first week we’ve done both underarms in one session, plus even more of course. So I was definitely more tender all week than I’d experienced being before. I’m writing this journal entry a few hours before my session on the 12th of July, so 1 week later, and even this morning I woke up feeling my underarms a little tender and puffy! It’s mostly just in the mornings, though.
My left leg is still pretty tender if I try to roll over onto my left side while in bed, but luckily my silly body has taken a hint and stopped trying to roll onto its left side AS much. Just a LITTLE less often. /entertained eye roll/ I’ve been trying to become a back sleeper for over a year . . .

Aftercare/skin care adventures: Admittedly I didn’t do almost anything >< I didn’t put any Zensa on my leg this week since it never felt . . itchy? or anything really weird. But I’d spritz my underarms with Briotech in the mornings and if they started feeling hot & puffy in the day (honestly the coolness of spraying something onto it is probably the nicest part). I guess that used to be my normal, I’m just so used to having to do more for my legs now haha.

Plans for next session: So I actually have wanted to get the hair not only directly around my areola (the stuff that is actively long and dark) removed, but also the finer, blondeish silver hairs that are medium long and a little further out. Those hairs use a different probe size, so we’ll do those next time (technically today, oops!). Then I think we’re supposed to do a few hairs that were left on my right underarm but, I’m kind of not sure if I want to do that yet tbh!! haha. Otherwise I think we’ll do more leg stuff, I’m not totally sure what bits since I forgot to ask!

This session: 12-July-2023, 90 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 890 minutes (14h50m)

Right lower leg (middleish outer side, then into the center-front middle)

We decided that since my underarms were still occasionally feeling swolen in the morning, that we would give them 2-3 weeks before touching up the few remaining hairs; similarly, we’ll be leaving the left leg alone for 2-3 weeks to give it some time to rest.

Before photos taken just before electrolysis, after photos taken ~2 hours after electrolysis.

Total time on right lower leg: ~90 minutes

Modality, thermo

Took anti-histamine ~40 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: A new leg this session, one that hasn’t been zapped once weekly for /scrolls up/ . . . 10 weeks, really?? Huh. Anyway, I noticed that while the level of pain was identical to the pain of doing my other leg, the way that my body responded to that pain was different. The first 45 minutes (so the first half) were fine enough to just chat through without me really responding to it; there was a little increase in pain from that point on, and the last 10 minutes were the worst–pretty much feeling like my left leg. I think my skin might have been ‘protesting’ a lot near the end, because there was a weirdly semi-frequent tweezing sensation that hadn’t been present the rest of the session(s).
My electrologist said that my leg might be kind of unhappy during the week, so it surprised me that aside from the very first night, my right leg wasn’t uncomfortable under the bedsheets at all. And luckily, my left leg finally stopped being tender when I turned over in bed, too! So bedtime ability to turn over is finally pretty much back to normal. (continued in aftercare).

Aftercare/skin care adventures: Day 4 post-session onwards, the spot on my leg would sometimes spontaneously become itchy in the evenings–but it was easy to take care of. I’d just spritz it with Briotech, wait a few minutes for it to dry, and then rub Zensa into the leg with clean hands. I’ve just opened my second 60ml bottle of Zensa this week; luckily the smell finally stopped giving me stomachaches, so I can do it myself now instead of needing my partner to help me apply it.

Plans for next session: More work on the right leg, to give other areas time to rest!

I guess that because we had 10 sessions where we did stuff on my lower left leg, and I had 445 total minutes on it, that means the “average” time on that leg per session (including outliers) was 45 minutes. It’s fun to think just how fast my right leg should catch up then, given it’ll have two 90 minutes sessions all to itself in a row. Since we’re not dealing with all the little hairs growing back in that 10 week period (and not still slowly lengthening the session time to maximum), the total minutes for the right leg will probably be lower, too.

This session: 19-July-2023, 90 minutes
Total electrolysis time: 980 minutes (16h20m)

Right lower leg (middleish inner side, then onto the back of the leg)

Before photos taken just before electrolysis, after photos taken ~2 hours after electrolysis.

Total time on right lower leg: ~180 minutes

Modality, thermo

Took anti-histamine ~60 minutes prior to session.

Discomfort: Pretty average “high-ish” discomfort for leg; when we had me flip over to get to the back of the leg we avoided the worst bits so that I could occlude lidocaine to them later, and so the parts of the back we did actually hurt less than the very front.
Not a lot of post-session discomfort or itchiness this time; I was expecting my leg to become itchy during the weekend but it never came. Any random pinchy “phantom pains” (in quotes cause there’s real healing going on haha) were still in my left leg rather than my right leg throughout the week.

Aftercare/skin care adventures: Since there was minimal discomfort I didn’t do too much to the skin during the week, but I did do the standard Brio spritz and then Zensa lotion the few times that my leg DID bother me.
The front of (both) my leg(s)–the part that is visible when I’m standing or sitting normally–looks perfectly fine unless you decide to really stare at it, and so I actually coordinated an outfit that didn’t incoorperate long socks for hosting a friend and then for visiting in-laws this week! Yay not having 1 leg visibly hairy and 1 leg visible not-hairy anymore! But that also means I learned putting sunscreen on legs is a lot more expensive than putting it just on arms & face. Ahh the consequences of using a raspberry oil based sunscreen, lol.
Similarly to what happened with the inside of my left leg; my inner right leg also scabbed up pretty badly this week (so it’ll probably be itchy NEXT week?). So I guess it’s just an inner-leg thing for me?

Plans for next session: More work on the right leg, presumably; I think this might be the last week that we let the underarms rest before going back to clear up what was left/has come back, but I’m not sure.

There was a kind of odd discussion about anagen hairs on my leg this week; I had mentioned that at the very end, I noticed a lot more tweezing sensation and wondered if it was just the swelling of my skin after an hour and a half of work. I think my electrologist said that that could be part of it (working from memory here), but the other part is that the telogen hairs tend to be drier in the folicle, and so getting a nice release with them is harder. They also said that, ofc, telogen hairs get treated the same way as anagen hairs, but they can tell a telogen from an anagen hair right away while treating. All of that makes sense to me; but what I wasn’t quite sure about was them saying that “it would take forever to get every telogen hair to come out smoothly” and/or “so it’s best to just yank the telogen hair out after treating them instead of trying to treat them enough times that they come out smoothly”. I guess it makes more sense when I put it in writing vs hearing it, but it seems a little odd that the release of telogen hairs would be that much worse, I guess. It almost sounds on par with how difficult folicles that have received bad laser many times before can get.
Maybe telogen hair yanking is yet another reason why my electrologist prefers to start weekly work on waxed-2-weeks-ago skin when it comes to doing pubic work, rather than just working on a just trimmed area.