Do any of you bother taking ibuprofen before? +

I am doing my face right now so the pain is pretty horrible at times! I have the EMLA cream already…

I tried, using the maximum permissible a day.It did not help - ipuprofen works on a different kind of sensation.

But if it feels horribly although EMLA has been applied, it is quite probable that You did not apply it correctly.

I still use EMLA on electrolysis of my neck and its transition to the chin. After a few failures i get almost perfect numbing. My procedure is:
> massage a small amount of EMLA into the skin in order to get something of it into the pores.
> Repeat this every 3 1/2 minutes (the time my tea watch is adjusted to :wink: for 5 times.
> Then add a *thick layer of EMLA and cover this with foil.
> The foil should be pretty thick (plastic bags) and cut to match the anatomy before the application of EMLA. It should be fixed thoroughly with tape around the full contour. Thorough coverage of the numbed area is crucial; it avoids oxidation of the lidokaine.
> After another 30-60 minutes the numbing is ok.

Try to be relaxed as possible before treatment. a good nights sleep, no caffine and practise a slow deep breathing technique during your session. really helps with my clients

I do take ibuprofen. I don’t know how well it works–definitely still have sensation though the only part I find really irritating is under my nose. I agree with mhawkes, a good nights sleep, no coffee, low stress and exercise before my appointment seems to help a lot! I definitely notice a difference between Saturday appointments when I’m more mellow and have time to exercise beforehand, and my weekday appointments when I am running to the appt from a long crazy day at the office and I’m frazzled and stressed!

I take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) before my electrolysis sessions, to lessen the degree of any histamine-induced reactive swelling. This also helps me relax quite a bit, as does the music I provided (Coyote Oldman, quite relaxing) to my electrologist. My upper lip has been cleared enough times so I no longer require any pain relief before/during treatment. For the first several months, I took 5 mg hydrocodone before treatment to lessen the sensation while treating my upper lip. This also had the result of relaxing me and slowing my breathing, helping greatly to make the experience easier. beate_r and I have discussed this prescription medication previously. Honestly, it’s not for everyone, and I don’t suggest it.

Applying EMLA as beate_r has suggested and covering (occluding) it with plastic wrap for more than 30 minutes prior to treatment is absolutely essential for proper numbing.

I took 3 Advil when I first started, and I used the cream…I really don’t think the Advil did anything to help…I stopped taking it a few months ago and haven’t noticed a difference…I will say though, the more I have done it, the less painful it is…I still use the cream, but at this point, if we weren’t chatting, I could probably doze off! (I NEVER thought I would say that!!)

Also, I notice the pain changes depending on what time of the month it is for me…right before my period, it is a bit more painful…

At this point, I am about 8 months in…I was originally going weekly to treat the sides of my face and back of my neck…now (since July) I go every other week - the hair is growing in less and softer…so far, VERY happy with the results!!

The things you need to help are an anti-inflammatory, and an anti-histamine. I like things like Astraxanthin Vitamin C, Gogi Berries, and Marshmallow (the herb, not the candy). In my opinion though, the best pain management is to keep your hydration and electrolytes high, and your sleep and nutrition on point, and find someone who is utilizing the best equipment and techniques.