Just had enough!

Hi all, very glad i’ve found this forum, i’ve been reading topics for hours, finding a lot of it very interesting and useful.

I’ve just turned 20 and been dealing with excessive body hair since a young age. I’m half armenian so when i was younger and had more body hair than other kids i though it was because of that. But after going through puberty i gained more and have become more and more depressed about it as each year has gone on. It’s seriously everywhere, all of legs, tummy, chest, breasts, back, even on my shoulders, hands and feet. I’ve had a few boyfriends but only been intimate with one and always kept a top on when doing anything, i had to make so many excuses. I shave everywhere but get shaving rash, and recently got an epilator but can only stand the pain on my legs at the moment. Tried it on my chest once but just made me super spotty.

A couple of years ago i saved up for the Rio Salon Laser and used it so much but had no effects whatsoever. Today i’ve been looking at the Tria Laser Removal System and seen that it can work for people. I’m just so scared of spending all that money for it not to work on me, i just want to wear normal clothes and stop covering up. I’d do anything to be normal! I get quite a bit of attention from guys and would love to act on it but i’m too scared to be in a relationship because of this issue. I seriously feel like i just can’t do this anymore :frowning:

Nope, won’t work. Tria and Rio and Silk’n are all too weak for permanent removal. They will possibly give you shedding (the hair just starts falling out 2-3 weeks after you used it), which is a nice temporary hair-free period. But it will always grow back the same as if you had just waxed instead.

If you want permanent removal, save your money and get REAL laser treatments or electrolysis. A little bit of laser will go much farther than a lot of Tria. I’ve done Tria, electrolysis, and real laser, and two laser treatments for $200 total already made a big difference on my legs (and bikini line).

First of all, let me say that my heart goes out to you…

I feel your pain. I have covered up for your years. I recently got an epilator and that has helped me some. I know it’s hard to believe but you don’t have to cover up… You DON’T have to make excuses… :frowning: I really wish I could help you.

I would recommend NOT to epilate. It distorts the follicle and causes lots of ingrowns.

The only permanent solutions are laser and electrolysis. Laser only works on coarse dense growth. So it would be good for your legs or bikini or underarms. For most of the other hair, you’ll likely need electrolysis from the start.

The home laser machines like Tria and Silk’n provide only temporary reduction, not permanent results. They’re too weak.

I can’t afford professional treatments at this time seeing as I’m an 18 year old college student. :frowning:

I understand that epilators can cause a lot of ingrowns, but with proper care, I have been able to prevent 99% of them. It’s the best I can do right now.

The best you can do is shave. That doesn’t impact the root of the hair. Waxing is also better.

Thank you very much for the replies :slight_smile: I guess i shouldn’t waste my money on the Tria device then. Sorry you’re going through the same thing My Epil. I don’t see any other way to deal with it though apart from covering up. When i’ve worn a t-shirt and not shaved my arms that day people ask why they’re all stubbly, i hate it!

I don’t suffer from ingrowing hairs, or do these come in time from epilating?

I’m not as bothered about my legs or bikini line because they are normal places to get hair so don’t feel as bad about them. Although i would love it if there were no hair there at all. It’s disappointing to hear i can’t get laser done anywhere else as it needs to be coarse, although i think my arm hair may be coarse enough.

Do home electrolysis kits work well at all?
There’s no way i can afford getting laser or electrolysis done at a salon for a long time, i’m a typical poor student :confused:

Wow I feel your pain, I know how it feels. I have the same problem. HAIR EVERYWHERE! Back, stomach, legs, chest/breasts, bum =( arms, everywhere! and it’s not fine baby hairs, they’re fine but DARK! and some are long. I’ve been waxing but that’s caused ingrowns and looks like the hair is thicker :s I have done laser on my arms I’m on session #5 soon, and it’s working so far, I want to laser my stomach, legs, bikini and underarms, and do electrolysis on my breasts/chest, back and bum :blush: I know it will cost a lot but that’s why I’m working to pay for hair removal. It’s pathetic how insurance doesn’t cover it for people like us. I wish there was help out there. I’m not doing it because I just have a few hairs that bother me, it’s seriously everywhere and I feel like a freak. I just want to be normal too. I feel for you.

I’m a typical poor student too, but I figured out a way to afford it. I knew I simply wouldn’t have the confidence to get through life and get my degree or apply for jobs if I was still in this dark place about my appearance.

As for home electrolysis kits: Yes, they work, but only the ones with actual probes (like the One Touch). The ones that use electric tweezers are scams. The One Touch works well (I’ve used it), but can be frustrating to use because it is galvanic and very slow. The probes are also tough to insert. But it’s only like $9 or something on ebay so you can try it and see if you have the patience for it.

If you like it, then I suggest taking your Tria money and buying a professional electrolysis machine for a few hundred bucks. That will go faster and will give you very nice results if you can invest some time into it.

No, shaving is not the best I can do. I would have to shave everyday and I would still have a lot of “pepperspots”… which I absolutely hate!

With epilating, I don’t have stubble, very few pepperspots, my skin stay smoother longer… I don’t have ingrowns. It just works for me. Why are you so against it? :S

Also, how is waxing any different? Both methods are ultimately pulling out the hair my the roots.

Maybe try sugaring? I’ve found that to be comfortable and effective :slight_smile: and it’s fun to do while watching tv

I’m not against anything. Shaving is best in the sense that it doesn’t distort the root of the hair and doesn’t change the structure of it. Removing hair with the root has the potential to make the hair stronger and more coarse.

Waxing is similar, but all the hair is being pulled out in one direction together. It doesn’t distort the direction of the hair growth like epilating does. If you don’t get ingrowns issues with epilating, more power to you. For most, it makes things worse due to all the ingrowns.

desperate18 - I feel like a complete freak because of it all too :frowning: How much has it cost you to get 5 sessions done on your arms? I think my arms and my chest are what bothers me most at the moment so they’d be the 1st things on my list to get sorted. I agree about insurance, it really should cover something like this in my opinion.

Thanks for the info MagicalPrincessKitty. I’m going to purchase a One Touch in the next couple of days as they are so cheap. Can you suggest any professional electrolysis machines i could consider investing in?

Also thank you emilily, i will also look into sugaring, i’d never heard of it before, but it does sound a lot nicer than waxing!

The best professional electrolysis machine would be Apilus. You can check eBay for them.

However, you have to realize that you will need to do a lot of studying and practice before you’re able to perform it properly. You’ll need to test things first on an area where you don’t mind potential scarring so you can learn how to get the insertions just right.

Also, buy a book by Michael Bono that outlines it.

You should check the DIY forum here. Lots of discussion on this there.

LAgirl, do you mean the Apilus Platinum?

Is it safe to do it yourself at home?

There are several Apilus models. Platinum is the best (and the most expensive) one.

“Safe” is not really the issue. The issue is that it takes a while to learn how to do electrolysis properly, actually killing the hair and without scarring yourself.

Definitely not safe to do electrolysis yourself on your face and neck. Pay a professional.

I can relate to your feelings! I have the exact same issue- hair everywhere! :frowning:

Just know that the person who is truly worth your heart won’t make you feel bad about your hair!
I am sure you’ll find someone understanding and loving.

I saved up for laser and eventually got my lower legs done.
Now that I have job I am working on other areas.

Be patient with this problem and don’t beat up yourself about it.
Everyone has different body issues- at least hair can be removed!

The reason that people here recommend shaving is because any method that plucks hair by the root can cause more hair growth or fine hairs to turn thicker. But I understand where you are coming from with the epilating thing. I did it too, usually just for special occasions where my arms/tummy/etc. would be be visible. I liked it because I could be smooth for about a week- happiest week ever. But I say just save for laser and you’ll be happy you did. Research clinics around your area. I just found a clinic that charges about $99 for lower arms per session or $50 for underarm, etc… so it doesn’t have to be super expensive. Alot of clinics also have winter/holiday specials- so keep an eye out!

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

yeah I would rather pay a professional. I can’t take any risks with my face.