Irritation following very intense clearance

Hi all,

I’ve just come back from achieving a big step forward in the clearance of a large body area (buttocks) - thanks again to Josefa! :slight_smile: She did warn me my skin would be sore and red for a while, which it is. But now it is also very itchy, and I have quite a lot of white-headed spots / pustules forming - some very concentrated in particular areas. I guess it’s because the hair density was high, and we did a lot of work in a short time.

I’m trying to keep my skin as clean as possible, and am still using salt water on it and the cream Josefa gave me (Flammazine 10mg/g). Is there anything else I should do? I want to be careful not to let my skin break out into a full-blown infection, and also the itching is keeping me awake at night (although I have been very disciplined about not scratching).

Any tips welcome!

You can take an anti histamine for the itching. I gave some to my sister as she was incredibly itchy.

For the whiteheads I think Josefa recommends 3% hydrogen peroxide applied to the spots… but check with her. Maybe the flamazine is enough.

OK thanks, Stoppit.

Hey, what about PFB Vanish - do you know that stuff? It’s a bit like Tendskin. It’s got quite a lot of alcohol in it (which might be good or bad, I’m not sure) but then it has anti-inflammatory ingredients like salicylic acid and aspirin.

I wouldn’t apply anything like tend skin. It will sting and I don’t think it will promote healing. I think tend skin at least mentions not to use on broken skin in the instructions.

I would just take the antihistamine (Loratadine brand name Clarityn or Cetirizine Hydrochloride).

Hydrogen Peroxide should help with the whiteheads. 3% is quite mild.

The rest of the inflammation will go down in a few days anyway. Try not let the area rub too much… difficult I know.

Sometimes that first (and intense) clearing causes more irritation than will subsequent clearings. Also, consider “where” you had cleared…hard not to sit there!!!

Vaseline Constant Care was recommended to me recently for groin and bikini areas, but I’ve been using it for all areas - and clients have loved how it soothes and helps healing. It is a product designed to be used for ostomy locations…don’t let that scare you off! Using a very thin layer offers protection to the skin from the introduction of bacteria from the environment.

Well, this has been one of those cases might well be called a true marathon. (As you call it, Tealight :wink: ). More than 20.000 treated follicles in just over 20 hours of Electrolysis (not including rest periods breaks, wash the area, etc) spread over 3 hard days, with an average of 45/60 treated follicles per cm2, in which (you can bet) will never reappear a hair, are reason enough to get a good amount of irritation.
In this case, since Tealigth had to make a long and expensive trip, I decided to give priority to speed, since the side effects are temporary and the area can be easily hidden of the gaze of all.
The pressure on an electrologist by clients coming from far away is huge and, as Michael and I have talked recently, the responsibility to stand up to the circumstances is a heavy slab (if you care about client’s interests as is our case).

I want to make clear that I have NOT used a needle IBP Laurier in this case, why? Well, here again the speed was a factor I had in mind. Although I have managed to have the same speed in the face of my clients, I’m not in the body at the same level, I remain somewhat slower with this needle. Time and patience from my clients will help me achieve this.

Do not worry Tealight, wash the area with soap and water as often as you can and if you find there, buy Caladryl, apply before bedtime and this probably will relieve the itch.

A big hug

After such an intense session, this is to be expected ,but you will be thrilled with the fantstic clearance,once the itching has subsided. Perhaps a bath with epsom salts, could provide some relief. Any salt bath would probably help. Sitting down is not something we can avoid either, and this is currently adding to your discomfort. What a trooper you are ,to have withstood such a marathon session.

Another suggestion for the itchiness is taking an oatmeal bath. Aveeno makes a good product for this purpose, but there other brands that accomplish the same thing.

Marathon sessions are the bomb - meaning good! The trade off is some degree of temporary side effects that will subside in awhile. I’d rather take the temporary side effects in order to get the hair off fast and I would be exceedingly happy if the great Jossie was was leading the effort. When one travels to see me for marathon sessions, they have get to get a lot accomplished because they are spending more money for travel and lodging and they don’t want to go back with unfinshed goals. That puts a lot of pressure on me to work fast with little let up.

It does take great effort and stamina to accomplish this. You have got to be very strong and in good shape for electrolysis marathon sessions if you are the electrologist in charge, sort of like an Olympic athlete type of strength and passion. Not many electrologists will do seven hours a day x three days. So, temporary itching and side effects for beginning sessions are just something to expect and appreciate. Soothing your way back normal and waiting for the passing of the days for the healing process to work, is far less effort than what the electrologist had to endure to get a Titanic ship load of hair off ASAP. Amen.

Many thanks everyone!

I have bought some Clarityn for the itching (Josefa, I will look for Caladryl tomorrow) and will keep going with soothing applications and washing.

I have noticed, however, that my lymph glands are a bit swollen and tender in my groin - a sign that my body is fighting infection, according to random health website I found this afternoon. Is there a specific point at which I should consider a visit to the doctor for a quick course of anti-biotics, does anyone think?

I absolutely agree, by the way, that all the sitting etc. is not really allowing the area to ‘rest’ properly; but also this unavoidable movement might be helping the pustules to spread, which I am a bit concerned about.

You MIGHT BE CORRECT, however, it could be an infection of another kind that was brewing, coincidentally, at the same time. If it was me, and I saw no improvement, I would see a doc. You have nothing to lose. I had an infection that caused the glands on my neck to swell, however, it was so slight that I only felt it when I shaved my neck. It persisted for a few months so I went to my doc. He ordered blood tests and found I, indeed, have an infection. The trick now is to find out where it was in my body. I had a low grade fever and an elevated white count. It turned out to be a UTI (urinary tract infection). This is more common in women but does happen in men, particularly, when there is a kidney stone. That is what it turned out to be. I was treated an everything cleared up.

Caladryl is a mixture of calamine and diphenhydramine (an antihistamine). Some facts about them. Anti-histamines applied topically can work on some people, however, topical use of anti-histamines is one of the fastest ways to become allergic to a drug that is used to treat allergies. A number of products that contain this drug (diphenhydramine) have been removed from the market. It may be a surprise to you but this particular anti-histamine causes so much drowsiness that it is sold OTC (over the counter) as a sleeping pill. Keep in mind…ALL products have SIDE EFFECTS. The amount and severity vary from drug to drug and to your individual response. DO NOT POP A PILL FOR THE SLIGHTEST REASON.

I WAS A PHARMACISTS MATE IN THE NAVY (now called Hospitalman). The rule is… if it is wet…you dry it with a cream. If it is dry you wet it with an ointment. The reason is if it is wet you want to dry it up and an ointment like vaseline is GREASY and will not mix with the natural secretions. It is better to use a cream because it mixes with the natural secretions and gets closer to the problem instead of “floating” on top of it. If it is dry and crusty and it splits open when you flex a finger joint…you want to make it soft and flexible. OINTMENTS are best for this as they keep the skin soft and flexible by trapping the moisture that is expressed by the sweat glands and preventing it from evaporating. OINTMENTS are greasy. Creams mix with the natural secretions of the skin and allow it to dry up. That is why MOISTURIZERS ARE ALL GREASY. THEY TRAP MOISTURE FROM THE SKIN AND KEEP THE AREA MOIST (WET). LIKE OIL OF OLAY.

This Vaseline product “Constant Care” is NON-greasy… It must have a significant amount of zinc oxide in it - as it smells a bit like desitin (spelling?) and leaves the skin with an opaque film.

Hmm. My skin, I would say, is neither dry nor wet. I’m sure if I tried to burst these pustules they would weep, definitely, but as I am not touching the area at all this is not happening… And neither is it dry and cracking. So in terms of moisture, I think the skin condition is fairly normal.

The main problem is that the pustules are big and numerous and itchy. My boyfriend thinks it’s calming down a bit, however, and he can see the area better than I can. But my gland is still up, whatever that means!

I think the gland swelling is a completely seperate issue. Have you taken your temperature?

To relieve your mind, a visit to the GP would not be out of line. If you have a staph infection, she or he could diagnose that. We can only go so far here, as we are not pharmacists and physicians.

Just a quick update to say that my skin has calmed down fully in the last day or so and is making a remarkable recovery now!

It seems obvious to me now that actually my skin’s reaction was all just part of the normal healing process - it’s probably just a sign of my inexperience with longer electrolysis sessions that I didn’t realise that!

That’s great to hear!

How are the glands?

Over medicated …

I have worked with a plastic surgeon for 30 years. In that time I have noticed a consistent outcome with patients that insist on medicating themselves: they don’t do as well.

Certain patients think they are benefiting themselves before surgery and will take all kinds of supplements (not understanding that some can cause more post-surgery bleeding, e.g., vitamin E). Then they will persist in “over-cleaning” the wound and will apply all kinds of nostrums to “help the healing” … usually “natural herbal” products. Again, causing more problems.

Why do patients think that “natural herbal” products are better than FDA regulated/controlled/tested medications? When you buy a “natural” product, you have no idea of the strength or purity of the thing. Generally, I think it’s risky business.

By contrast, the patients that do very well, after plastic surgery, are the ones that come in with “dirty” bandages that are still blood soaked. They have paid little attention to the surgery and simply followed the doctor’s basic instructions. (I used to work with a surgeon that gave his patients WAY too much before and after surgery … again, causing more problems).

I just mention this for what it’s worth. After any procedure a patient must expect some “down time.” If you are going to try to make things better, PLEASE, at least consult with your therapist before fiddling with the area. YOUR therapist knows what was done, not “third parties” here on Hairtell.

All good and no worries… I was probably being a bit paranoid :wink:

Dear Michael,

After wisdom tooth extraction I was in a lot of pain. I went back to the dentist and he soaked some cotton in clove oil and shoved it in the socket where my tooth used to be.