Hyperpigmentation persists months after electrolysis

Hello,

A few months ago, I went for a 15 minute sample session of electrolysis where the electrologist removed a few hairs from various parts of my face, from the upper cheeks, to the chin and jawline region. Afterwards, I noticed some small bits of dark coloration from hyperpigmentation. I expected the pigmentation to fade and disappear with time, but it has remained many months after. What is going on here? Does this mean that I can’t do electrolysis?

FYI:
My ethnicity is Indian.
My skin tone is Fitzpatrick type 4.
The method used was thermolysis.
I don’t know the machine that was used.

It can take longer to fade away. I don’t know what the treatments were like? I will say that I have worked on many, many women of Indian and Pakastani decent, using thermolysis, and some do develop hyperpigmentation and some don’t. It is the result of your skins particular response to injury - any injury.

I find that using cold aloe vera gel immediately after treatment is good for women of color. It calms down the skin and lessons the the skins over response to injury.

Dee is 100 % correct on this.
Hyperpigmentation does fade but it takes a long time in some cases. How long? Up to a year or more in some cases. But it ALWAYS fades completely.
You can continue to do electrolysis, however I would recommend that the electrologist uses an insulated probe. This eeps the energy beneath the sin at the lower 1/3 of the follicle, and tends to keep hyperigmentation from being as severe and in many cases, keeps it from happening at all. You can rest easy knowing that though hyperpigmentation can happen, and stic around for a while it will completely disappear in time. Be patient.

Thank you. Would other methods of electrolysis be appropriate for my skin? Also can I use Q-switch laser treatments in tandem with electrolysis to keep pigmentation at bay?

Thank you. Can other methods of electrolysis work for my skin?

1.Your electrologist should be able to test your skin reaction using all 3 methods-Thermolysis, Blend and Galvanic and to choose the method which make less skin reaction.
2.The probe must be insulated. That type of probe will treat the lower 2/3 of the follicle and will protect the upper 1/3.
3.To reduce the possibility of Hyperpigmentation use Ice immediately after treatment and even during the treatment.

Any idea which method make least skin reaction? Thanks.

I don’t know about using Q-switch laser while having electrolysis. I just know that your hyperpig will fade with time, on it’s own.

Would love to see QUALITY pictures of your hyperpigmentation.

Any modality of electrolysis may cause hyperpigmentation, so don’t hang your hopes on favoring one over the other. Bug bites, cuts, abrasions can cause hyperpigmentation, too.

Hello
I’m middle eastern and I do get some pigmentation after electrolysis treatment
unfortunately it’s just cause of our skin colour
Usually I use aloe vera gel straight after the treatment + ice to cool the area down from swelling and redness.
After my face isn’t swollen anymore (5/7 days after treatment) I use retin-A at night + Vitamin C serum/oil and sunscreen in the morning on my face and it helps with the brightening… I usually see a result within a month.

Immediately after electrolysis Hair removal treatment, I iced/cold compress nearly all my clients. (Please be aware and avoid freeze burn)

How to Minimise Hyperpigmentation After Treatments?

IMMEDIATELY after each treatment, prescribed potent topical corticosteroids such as Betnovate 0.1% are proposed to minimise risk of hyperpigmentation. It should be used continuously for no longer than a week to minimise the drug’s adverse effects.

Continual usage up to a week should be ok.

Betnovate 0.1% are available in 2 forms: cream & ointment.

In general, creams have higher water content and less sticky. Ointments have higher viscosity and are greasy. Here are some guidelines for deciding when to use an ointment and when to use a cream:

1. Creams are better when covering large areas of the skin or to avoid the greasiness associated with an ointment.
  2. Creams (or gel) are better than ointments for treating wet, weeping or oozing skin lesions, such as eczema or poison ivy.
  3. Ointments are better for treating dry skin, such as psoriasis.
  4. Ointments allow better absorption of the active ingredients or medications into our skin.
  5. The better moisturisers are in ointment form.
  6. Ointments are less likely to cause an allergic reaction, thus may be better to use on sensitive skin since many creams contain sensitising preservatives.

Please ensure that the topical corticosteroid that you are using will not interfere with skin healing process.

Why it must be applied IMMEDIATELY after the treatment?
The active ingredients are designed to prevent pigments from forming in your skin. The drug won’t target the pigments that already formed.
Once formed, pigments can take months to few years to disappear during desquamation.

Hyperpigmentation is NORMAL and part of skin healing from inflammation. It isn’t permanent & skin will heal & eventually look normally without doing anything.

Please consult your Dr or dermatologist for more info.

For more info, please visit my post => https://www.facebook.com/ElectrolysisUpwey/photos/a.1921904484687906/2348789848666032/?type=3&hc_ref=ART5U_-GDlAn2eCPRCB6yBBtknMAPcwelj9b73k6RP-wIsOgFlZFPROXVoS9vzTbR1k&xts[0]=68.ARCQ2AguX74dyMQ2Z6ylA-wo7XCOiavyiW67QZMZOJYf2EAwfYQOQNELhePoDC-I5pVLIHj0fYkUeEcyOLfxTcMJQkBvWdRXW91XAySlOlR3RX0xR0awrosaIP3zM_03s5tqAWdphNjmYAzvVbqkFsnRVWAl6rdtZN4hTfYq665c74dttCu40HTVWkwqTnsFZKDaovYQ1e9rjNFCymiBENgbohNRKnIiUHXogr8bdsgkwIyOXo-TMrRjSWt4NkSnocIaYYQDFVf2ux0MtukWmEeKDE9zhJeVhL2qftHnaQ&tn=EC-R

1 Like

Hi,
This is my first time answering a post. To help prevent hyperpigmentation caused by either laser or Electrolysis, research has suggested to use Hydroquinone 2 or 4% as a precaution. Any injury, controlled or accidental, to darker skin types, has the ability to excite the melanocytes causing hyperpigmentation. The Hydroquinone will help to prevent and stop the overproduction of melanin. I suggest you speak to a dermatologist if hyperpigmentation is an issue. HQ is great in combination with topical vitamin A and Vitamin C. A mineral based sunscreen of at least SPF 30 is a must.
Best regards,
Joyce
Palmer Laser & Electrolysis

Hydroquinone can react with sunlight causing skin to become even darker.

Corticosteroids, hydroquinone & etc. are not without risks and must be used under the relevant Dr’s supervisions.

Exogenous ochronosis, or darkening of the skin is extremely rare and happens only with prolonged usage of HQ at 2 - 4 %. It is a prescribed treatment for lightening the skin of persons with melasma and sun damage. It is used as a precaution for aggressive laser treatments for Skin types 3 and above. It will definitely improve hyperpigmentation. Definitely discuss any products you are considering with your doctor and your clinician.
There are many scientific studies done in regards to the use of HQ regarding skin lightening.
Sunscreen is a must!!

Hi please can you help me pls I have hypegmentation after 3 sessions of electrolysis and uneven skin texture what should I do pls ? My skin looks terrible of hypegmentation and rough. I do exfoliating is that ok ? What cream should I use pls ? Can use retinol vitamine A ? Is retinol good hypegmentation .is there any side effects of it ? I want your opinion pls

Just leave your skin alone. This is all going to resolve perfectly … just normal on that area of the face. Nothing you can do except wait and not focus on this.

1 Like

Thank you so much Sir Bono yes I was wondering why after shaving my check with razor hypegmentation start to be more noticeable.it was just as little patches in the beginning but now appears clear .does this means the hypegmentation is going to sheed out layer of the skin ? I have no idea .thank you for your help a lots

I could speculate … but bottom line is don’t worry about shaving the area or the temporary changes in appearance. Just wait it out. I have the same skin … so I’m really familiar with what our skin does. Luckily there are other advantages.

Thank you Mr Bono so much I really appreciate your help I was really in depression bcz my skin was really smooth on my cheeks but what is done is done .my last question what is the the effective way to do for smoothing the skin ? Laser resurfacing!! Dermabrasion!!Chemical peel !! Carbon peel !! I do not know .this just in case of if my skin does not heal completely…see some wrinckles and bumpy skin … I would choose on of the four above . honestly I’m still concern about my situation and I have now like nightmares in my sleep .I think I should visit a schologist bcz this situation has affected my social life …I have now anxiety and fear :fearful: this…affected my sleep …work…I changed from a dynamic person with enthusiasm to a silent person sick sociologically bcz of this situation…Im fragile personality.i can’t endure or expect bad things to happen… I know it is only about time maybe and everything will be fine .but my inner self always complicate things and focus only for bad aspects .

No problem … I focus and worry too. In all cases, I have leaned that the suffering is optional … and when the problem goes away, I wonder why I spent so much energy on the issue. Remember: “The suffering is optional.”

I would, however, get a high-quality product with copper peptides. You can search the internet, but at this moment I think such a product will work well. If you can’t find a good one … try contacting an esthetician for a copper peptide product. I HAVE seen quite amazing results to smooth skin texture. There is science backing this up. MUCH later on … and probably not necessary … there are other products to use. However, I don’t want to get you off track and even more confused.

No laser, dermabrasion, chemical peel … etc. That would be like killing a fly with a hammer.

1 Like

Yeah I really like this sentence .the suffering is optional…and I will learn from this phrase a lots of things thanks again I will remember you whenever I say it …it is really meaningful.

Well I have bought some products as you see in the pic. I have peptide booster from Paula choice I think I will start using it every day to see the results .I bought lots product but I got confused bcz I do want to overuse the products …I’m using now vitamin C haulauric acid and I will add to it peptide booster I think this one that you mentioned !! Thanks again Mr Bono I’m originally from Morocco but I live in the USA and I just got my citizenship last week…just sharing with you to create kind of good new instead …I think you are in Australia?? Well if you come to the USA inviting you for a Moroccan couscous :joy:.thanks a lots for everything.