How to find an electrologist in your area

I hope you are correct, and the ones I have met are the exceptions, not the rule.

From my experience, this only happens, if the patients’ visit is regarding a failed laser experience. I have had dermatologist clients,but rarely have referrals from them.

That is my point.
They RARELY refer to electrolysis, even if they have personal first hand knowledge of its merits.

I can tell you a funny story about one who ran out of a supermarket (abandoning a shopping cart of items) when she saw me, in order to avoid the follow up question, “So how did that LASER thing work out for you?”

Lasers are abundant, in fact they seem to be in every skin care faility and plastics office (in my area), yet two dermatology clincs continue referring their patients to me for electrolysis. Given there are more choices today I doubt electrolysis will ever return to the “glory days” but I see it coming back.

The biggest flaw with electrolysis, as I see it, is the difficulty associated with happening upon the right electrologist who can do the job well. Had it not been so practitioner-dependent, the laser folks would have a much harder time luring people to experiment with lasers in the face of a much more effective and definitive treatment option which is electrolysis.

The difficulty in finding the right laser practitioner is just as difficult as finding the right electrologist. Laser hair removal is just as operator dependent, but in different ways. Part of the problem has been practitioners in both fields promoting machines instead of their individual skill. Machines are only tools. Even the best technology can produce disasterous results in the hands of an unskilled practitioner.

If you are looking for an inexpensive provider, you can check to see if any of the beauty schools in your area allow students to offer services as part of their curriculum.

In my experience, it’s not a good idea. Paying a low rate, you don’t even get what you pay for in most cases. It’s usually cheaper and always more efficient to see a reputable professional.

Hello, Can anybody recommend a very good and experienced electrologist in Louisiana?

Had a terrible experience with quack a few years ago and won’t go without making sure that tech is skilled.

Please follow the tips on the first page. This is not a recommendation thread. We try to keep things separate so it’s helpful to posters. There is an entire section with recommendations and a search feature on this forum.

Hallo. I write also on behalf of my partner, whose English is not so good. We live in Italy and here it’s hard to find serious professionals like the ones writing on this forum. She has hair on her chin and cheeks. Some years ago she did some laser treatments, but this aggravated the problem instead of solving it. For several years she’s been tweezing, but hair keeps growing and getting worse, which is becoming a problem for both of us. Perhaps these previous treatments make electrolysis more complex.
We live in a middle-sized town that has no specialized hair removal center. There is however a beauty salon offering electrolysis. They say they’ve been doing it for 20 years now, with good results. We couldn’t gather any more info, e.g. from people having been there, or about the equipment they use. On the phone they sounded well-informed and professional, but that’s all.
How confident do you think one can be of this type of facility? On this forum one reads of people taking planes to have electrolysis done by a serious professional, but this for us is not an option, nor could we find any specialized centers in our whole area. On the one hand electrolysis seems to be a relatively simple treatment having been around for more than a century, on the other it looks as if finding a good electrologist is harder than finding a good brain surgeon…
So the question is: if one doesn’t have access to a particularly renowned center and goes to ‘the electrologist round the corner’ (with no special credentials other than having been on the market for some time), what would you think are the chances of getting a) an excellent result, as fast and effective as possible; b) a good result, in a reasonable amount of time; c) a decent result, taking a rather long time, not solving the problem completely but improving the situation; d) a mediocre result, with little benefits and perhaps some permanent traces; e) no results and/or negative side effects.
Please be honest in your reply. If success chances are low, it is better to know in advance, before embarking in a long, expensive and distressful experience.
Thank you so much for your help and for your posts to this forum, which are by far the best source of information one can find on the Web.
Nesio

Hi Nesio

It is best to book a consultation appointment and meet with the person doing the electrolysis, this will give you the opportunity to make an assessment of the facility and the practitioner. If they have been in business for 20 years they should have references, ask.

The practitioner should do the following at a minimum:
explain the electrolysis process,
take a medical history,
assess the treatment area, and
provide a sample treatment.

Getting rid of the hair permanently is dependent on the practitioner’s skills, it can either be very effective treatment or glorified plucking. Type of machine doesn’t matter, the practitioner is the most important factor, the best machine will not make up for lack of skill.

A few questions to ask would be:

What are the infection control procedures,
What kind of training does the practitioner have,
How many hours of electrolysis would be required (this will be an estimate),
References.

Feel free to report back. Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your answer. They did explain the process, and seemed to be well-informed, at least based on what I’ve been reading on this forum. Infection control is ensured by giving each client their own probe (cost, about 15 euros). As for training, they just said they have 20 years of experience, and that’s probably the most you can get here in Italy (coulnd’t find any schools or professional associations).
The big question is: what are the chances of getting a very effective treatment or glorified plucking? Would you say 50/50? 80/20 or 70/30, and if so, in what direction? Finding a good practitioner is important in electrolysis as it is in hairdressing, gardening and dentistry. The problem is that most people are familiar with those areas (and in none of them, based on my experience, the chance of finding a very bad practitioner exceeds 15-20%), but it’s really hard to make such an estimate for electrolysis.
Thank you
Nesio

Based on your question i hope. It’s okay to repost this what I just wrote to another thread…by the way. I love and agree with your line “It looks like finding a good electrolysist is harder than finding a good brain surgeon!” If you don’t mind me asking where in Italy are you?
Okay here’s my post

I can only be honest and share with you my own story. forgive me but I don’t have time at the moment for spellcheck.
I also Have been seeking electrolysis( E from now on ) for a facial hair. It started with eyebrows when someone I know had a very successful electrolysis done on Her eyebrows in a different city.
I found someone in my city worked on my eyebrows for years however i was never told me not to pluck between sessions, or use sunscreen or anything at all…i Had a fantastic relationship and got along with my e but eventually I just wondered why it was taking so long. When I finally found this forum I became enlightened and realized that A lot of things weren’t right . It was basically expensive plucking ,so I let it go ,and Began to seek other people for e work .
I really couldn’t find anyone where
I live so I’ve seen people in various cities.
It was honestly the photographs on this forum and information I read here that Greatly influenced me into continuing to seek for elytrosis on my face. Though much of the hair is blonde, and there is much much less of it than the photos I’ve seen here ,( for example a man’s back or a man’s beard ,) I have yet to find anyone who does what has been referred in word and photos , as clearances. In fact each time I’ve mentioned the concept of doing three complete clearances they tell me that is not the way it goes. I’m not knocking anyone else’s method I’m just telling you what I get told.
I’ve also learned that it’s not the amount of money that someone charges that will ensure the best service. I had one guy charging me Exorbitant amounts which I was willing to pay and till I finally started to feel, for several reasons, like I was just getting sponged.

I’ve now met someone who may not be quite as good or quite as fast but does decent work and charges a quarter of the amount and has a soul. I’m just as happy overall with her work and I can afford longer treatments which again will only happen for the limited time i am here. But what you see on this forum, like The incredible, awesome work of Jossie for example, well I’ve learned not to get my hopes that high as i don’t know that that degree of quality Is NOT found so easily out there. Now, hopefully I could be wrong… Unless you’ve been lucky enough to meet a good person close to where you live, Or are able to get yourself into see someone like Bono( well i think he doesn’t do female faces?) Jossie,James or dfehey , then Expect to be patient With the process ,tread carefully, keep your eyes open, And never be Intimidated out of ask your questions here and. To your practitioner.

Hi Danika
we live in the Center-North of Italy. Does anybody know reliable practitioners in this area? We even asked the official Apilus reseller for Italy a list of centers that bought their machines. I know it’s the hand, not the machine, making the difference, but at least knowing that someone invested some money in state-of-the-art technology could be a first indication of professional quality. Anyway, the reseller refused to give us such names.

I believe the reason they won’t answer your question may have something to do with not actually having an official presence, or any large presence in Italy. Some countries make it very hard to sell products in their country if you do not produce the item in their country. As a contrast, they had a listing (which may still be up) on the web that proudly displayed the contact information of every practitioner who consented to be listed, as owning one of their machines.

On the other subject, one of the main reasons this forum exists is to give information on what is possible, and alternatively, what is probable for you to find in your search for electrolysis treatment. If everyone who reads the forum did a better job of discussing who is good in there area, we could do an even better job of covering places not currently listed on the site now.

There are many ways to do what we do, and because of that, many practitioners argue about what is “the right way” to do things. In the end, many of the arguments are just about personal preference, not any kind of hard fact that this is right, and that is wrong. At the same time, what clients want to receive is a whole lot more clear, and some things come closer to what a client wishes to receive, than others. It won’t be the same for every client either. In the end, only the client can decide what treatment plan works best for his or her personal goals. It would just be nice if more practitioners had more options to offer. There is an old saying that says, “If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.”

May I suggest you ask Instantron that same question.

Nesio

To answer your question on what the chances of getting good treatment, according to one of the executive members of the FCEA, (the Canadian electrologist association) they estimate that 80% of electrologists in Canada are undertreating or not providing adequate treatment. I am not sure how they determined that number or how accurate it is.

WoW
I don’t know where they got that statistic, nor how to argue for or against it. I will say, however, that when I work with students, (and some current practitioners) the thing that is hardest to train them out of is shallow insertions, and a poor choice on treatment energy. Especially when it comes to treating men, or women with thick deep hairs, like the ones one gets from years of plucking, and waxing, they just fear turning up the machine to the levels that are necessary, because all the cookie-duster upper lip hairs they are used to are half or 4 times lower than the correct current needed to effectively treat these tree trunk hairs.

Of course, many treatments are not as effective as they could be simply because the practitioner can’t see the follicles well due to reliance on circle lamps, but that is another argument, for another day.

Thank you so much. 80% is really a lot! Sure, the figure can’t be taken as uncontrovertible scientific truth, but it certainly gives an idea of how difficult it is to find a practitioner good enough to get the job done. Perhaps it doesn’t meant that 4 people out of 5 doing electrolysis are wasting time and money, but for sure they are not getting the most out of this technology and probably, in cases such as those mentioned by James, they are not getting anything at all.