Home electrolysis

As soon as you touch the skin, you will complete the circuit. To avoid this, do not place your finger on the metal band until AFTER you have inserted the probe to the root of the hair. My unit included no beep mechanism, so I don’t know if the beep is supposed to indicate the beginning or the conclusion of an individual treatment. For other options, see www.NoHair.info

Does plucking cause hair to grow back thicker or darker/basically worse than it was? Is it safe to get the unibrow electrolysiced (is that a word- but you understand). Also does anyone know if birthcontrol pills can affect growth of body hair? :confused:

No hards facts, I’m affraid…

My own personal belief is that plucking can weaken the hair such that it grows back finer or not at all.

My reason for thinking this is that I read once that you should never over-pluck your eyebrows. Sometimes people have plucked them thin but regretted it later in life when the fashion changed and they found their hair wouldn’t grow back.

I’ve also heard tales of guys who’ve had their legs waxed for charity, and it never grew back! (In my book, waxing is just macro-plucking!)

… but having said that, I’ve also heard that plucking can stimulte the blood supply to the hair, making the hair grow stronger.

And my own thoughts are that birth control pills won’t cause more hair growth. Body and facial hair is stimulated by testosterone. Unless you’re on a progesterone only pill, the estrogen in the pill will help to counteract any effects of testosterone - so you might notice a small reduction in your hair, or a reduction in its strength and thickness.

Both of those are my own conclusion, though, from what I’ve been told about how it all works.
I’m more than happy to be put right!!

In electrolysis school we are taught that in most places on the body plucking will cause thicker hairs to grow in the future because at least that follicle will be supercharged by the increased blood supply that it gets to heal itself after the plucking. Blood is to hair what fertilizer is to your garden, or your lawn grass.

Since this increased blood supply may last a while, and repeated plucking may give an area a constant elevated blood supply, nearby follicles can become activated into terminal hair growth due to plucking of nearby hairs.

Some people however, have places on the body that have structures that are more likely to have plucking lead to permanent removal however. In these persons places like the eyebrows are so thin skinned that plucking or shaving may actually have the whole hair structure come out in the removal process, and therefore leave the area bare, and in the case of legs, the growth pattern for legs is not as tenacious as the face to begin with, and some people have very shallow leg hair.

In general, for the average person plucking/waxing/tweezing/sugaring etc… will never lead to a permanent hair free state.

OK, thanks James - that makes sense!! :smile:

It kind of ties up the two ends of the argument as well, so I’m happy!!