Frustrated Don’t Know What To Do

So I started electrolysis back in January. I’m a 54 year old black woman with thick coarse hair on my chin and neck. Went every week 1.5 hours per session. I never got cleared! Each week she’d do a small section. It hurt like hell but I never felt tugging. That section would be smooth. But we never reached a point where I had a smooth face. So after spending $500 a month for six months I stopped realizing that I had spent $3k and my face was no better! Actually it’s worse as I have MORE HYPERPIGMENTATION! And that’s why I wanted electrolysis so I could stop shaving and stop gettin hyperpigmentation from ingrowns.

I don’t know what to do. I know laser is not the answer as this hair is definitely hormonal. Now that I’m in menopause those issues have been resolved. This is my second attempt at electrolysis and I’ve still got the same hair but a lot less money!

I’m particularly annoyed that she could never give me an estimate as to how much longer before I would at least see clearing. It’s so frustrating to spend that kind of money and have no idea how much longer you will need to continue. Another year was out of the question. It’s not like I was made of money. I was going every week thinking it would be faster.

So some questions. Is there really no way to at least a rough estimate of the time AND MONEY commitment?

If I go back I can probably only afford monthly treatments. Is it even worth the bother?

At my age should I just give up and face the fact that I’ll just have to shave forever?

Is it crazy unusual to go every weeks for six months and never get clear once? I have thick coarse hair and tweezed for years. She used blend on the highest setting and it hurt like hell. But still no clearing.

Is it true that since I quit it’s like I never went at all and All that hair just came back? Have I just chucked $3k or is taking a financial break reasonable?

Is it possible or even sane to book like a whole day to get clearing? Is that a thing?

1 Like

I feel something isn’t adding up. I would be interested to see the density of your hair and understand the size of the sections your electrologist treats for each session. I would expect to see at least some reduction in the amount of hair after six months of treatment, though this depends on whether or not the whole area has been cleared a number of times. Has your electrologist progressively made her way treating across each section of the treatment area or has her work been more focused on continually treating new growth in already treated areas?

I’ll wait for a professional to respond because something about this is a bit confusing.

1 Like

https://roslynholcomb.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/img_0780.jpg

This picture gives the best image of the density of hair. This was a day or so after a session and you can see the scabs from the treatment.

My main issue is there was never a session where she cleared more than a tiny area or a couple of tiny areas as you can see from the scabs.

I’m really sorry you’re having a frustrating experience. Your results seem to be affected by one of several things.

You mentioned hormonal changes. It may be worth going to an endocrinologist to rule out some metabolism issues. Do you have any underlying medical history like diabetes, thyroid issues, or PCOS? They can all affect hair growth, as can some medications.

Hyperpigmentation is usually caused by overtreatment. If those scabs under your chin lasted more than a week, you may be getting overtreated or having insertions that are too deep. Practitioners working on clients who have plucked may have to deal with some distorted follicles, but that many scabs in close proximity looks (to my non-expert eye) like overtreatment.

I hope others chime in, too, but that is my first impression.

1 Like

I’ve had a full panel at the endocrinologist. I am insulin resistant, but I take medication and all my levels are within normal ranges. TBH I don’t remember how long the scabs lasted. Several days to be sure but I think they would fall off in less than a week. I avoided putting anything on them and they would fall off on their own. Since I was going weekly I’m pretty sure they were gone before the next session.

She definitely used the highest setting as my hair is very coarse. My follicles are distorted from tweezing and just genetics. Even with numbing cream the pain was intense and I have a high pain threshold. I needed a break from that too.

I had wanted to get the hair gone or mostly gone so I could get chemical peels for the hyper pigmentation.

well I’m going to start by saying that is a considerable amount of hair, not a minor amount. It takes contiguous treatments of a minimum duration of 12-18 months to clear such an area. If you are not establishing full clearances, it can take longer than that. It doesnt sound like your electrologist was able to obtain full clearances from the sounds of it.

Yes, Andrea is correct a hormonal imbalance is likely at play here, which could possibly include PCOS or a thyroid imbalance. So much for the root cause of the hair.But it’s important to address such issues medicllly so you arent fighting new hair growing at the same timeyou are removing it.

Whats more important however, is the perceived lack of progress. /When starting a new client I generally make a point of telling them not to get discouraged if they dont start to see progress in the first few months. You ar just beginning the process and the hair has to cycle and grow back in. This can be a 5- 6 month process or longer if you arent getting enough treatment.
I’d also like to address modality. From the rate of progress it almost sounds like the electrologist might be using blend.While an excellent modality, it CAN BE ( note I said can not will) be somewhat slower to progress . I know that when treating my own face with blend ( admittedly as an “amatuer” ) I didnt see major results until 9 or so months down the line and that was with massive amounts of treatment ( sometimes exceeding 25 hours a week).In my experience it takes longer to get to the same point with blend, but not necessarily longer over the whole process.

Lets look at how I would quote this job. To start with, it’s on the same level of amount of hair as some of my trans clients. I would quote them generally 100 hours of electrolysis over 12-18 months.I would also tell them not to expect huge improvements during the first 5-6 months because its only after this period that we start to see the effect of the work we did in the first week. Hair gradually lessens from this point.

So, if I’m honest, I think you’re the recipient of some really bad estimates, that is, the electrologist may not have set your expectations on cost and time frame properly. In fact from your description, it sounds like they dont know. This reeks to me of a slightly inexperienced electrologist.

The sad part is you are getting down on yourself, when a little more patience likely would have shown you the results you are looking for.

Seana

Okay, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like electroloysis is for me. I was going weekly at $125 for each 1.5 hour session. $500 a month for 18 months is nearly $10k! I can’t afford to go more frequently than that. Especially since I’ve already spent $3k and it didn’t seem like I wasn’t getting to clearance anytime soon. I have two special needs kids, so yeah, money isn’t exactly thick on the ground. As for quitting when I did, it wasn’t lack of patience, it was lack of CASH.

I guess that’s why she doesn’t quote a timeframe because if I had known that going in I probably would’ve realized it’s out of the question. TBH I thought I’d be able to go monthly, but she said with my amount of hair I needed to come weekly, which is fine, but I assumed that meant I’d get done more quickly, but apparently that’s not the case. I assumed going in that it would take a year, or more and that didn’t bother me. But I calculated that based on going once a month, not going every week for a year. $125 a month I can afford. $500 a month for a year+ is out of the question.

I don’t think she’s inexperienced. She’s been doing this for at least ten years, and came highly recommended. The hair that she killed is gone, I just have so much of it. And I know it’s coarse hair with distorted follicles from years of tweezing. I’ve done my research and understand why it takes so long. She’s a good electrologist, I just wish I could afford to do it.

One more question, I read somewhere that if you stop going you basically have to start over again as if you’ve never had any work done and the hair comes back? Is this true? Did I just waste $3k? Since I’ve already gone for six months, does that mean I’d have only twelve months left (I know that’s an estimate)? Would I be able to pick up where I left off or would it be like starting over? (Obviously, this is if I win the lottery or something lol)

Hi

I did the blend (around less than 2-4 seconds per follicle) & my female clients who had got beard & had high commitment to spend around 2-3 hrs a session every 4-8 weeks for around 2 yrs have received almost 80%-90% clearance.

I prefer Blend for distorted hair follicle because Thermolysis (aka RF, radio wave) only destroy cells & tissue whose locate adjacent to the tip of the needle where energy has been released. But it cannot destroy area where the energy can’t reach. Blend utilise both thermolysis & galvanic. Galvanic rearrange salt & water existing in the client’s body into alkaline that can flow & may reach the area where it is unreached by Thermolysis energy.

For visualisation aid => https://www.facebook.com/ElectrolysisUpwey/photos/pcb.2049814528563567/2146815832196769/?type=3&theater

It doesn’t matter what modalities of electrolysis is used. As long as hair stem cells, growth factors & hair follicle are completely destroyed such hair will gone forever.

2 Likes

I completely understand the dealing with hair removal and having special needs kids. Actually I myself have 3 children, 2 significantly on the autism spectrum, and they are THE REASON I learned electrolysis.I couldnot have afforded it since as a single parent, I could not work and take care of my kids simultaniously. Obviously I didnt have the money for hair removal but had a real issue with beard hair (I’m a transperson), so, I made it work. I made it work by doing it myself with help advice from some of the professionals here. The point of telling you all this, is you find your way. You either find the money, or you find the way around having to provide it. I wish you a lot of luck in this.
The good news is, no, a follicle once disabled STAYS disabled. However out of cycle hairs ( that werent showing during your treatment) will grow in unaffected so it may SEEM like you’ve made no progress , but you have.

Got it. I will look into DIY. Thanks.

Another question. Funds are limited so what do you think of this scenario if I had say $500 to spend. Her rate is $100 an hour. Would it be more beneficial to go every week for five weeks or to go monthly for five months? Obviously I know I need to speak to the electrologist but I’m just trying to get an idea. What would you say to your client with similar circumstances?

I understand that I’ll never get to clear at this rate but at least I’m hoping for reduction. I generally get about that much in Christmas cash each year, so I’d probably return each year.

I don’t know if there is an answer to your question since there are so many variables involved. It would depend on the size/density of the area being treated, the speed and skill level of the electrologist, and whether or not you could tolerate high energy levels. From your description, it sounds like you have a lot of coarse, dense, hair growth. Personally I would not treat you until you could afford regular treatments. Partial reduction and annual treatments that may go on for years speaks negatively of the electrologist in spite of your request. It’s like asking a doctor to do a a partial face lift in sections once a year. I don’t know of any practitioner that would want their name connected with such a fiasco. There might be other opinions on the matter. If you are desperate enough, I am sure there is someone out there willing to take your money.

Interesting I understand why they would feel that way. However, already spent $3k and 6 months of weekly visits I just feel like this has been a major waste of time and money. Of course that’s on me. I was hesitant because she wouldn’t give me an estimate. Had she done so I would’ve known that $10k was well outside what I could afford. Oh well you live and you learn. Should I someday hit the lotto I will follow my first instinct and not work with someone who can’t give an estimate.

Hi Roslynholcomb. Would you feel comfortable indicating the city in which you live? Perhaps an electrologist can work out a generous arrangement with you or perhaps you live near a school where you can get treatment at reduced rates or even enroll. I am a former bearded lady and would have been delighted to travel with a circus but instead opted for electrolysis in my late 20’s. Because I couldn’t afford long and frequent treatment, I had the electrologist just focus on one area over and over again. I started with my jawline. As fewer hairs grew in the treated area, she would begin treating a wider area. I shaved the untreated areas but eventually got everything cleared. This had such a dramatic impact on my life, I became an electrologist.

1 Like

If my eyesight were better I swear I’d enroll in classes tomorrow. It sounds like an excellent second income stream with lots of flexibility. Unfortunately my eyesight which wasn’t great is now horrible. I’m in Atlanta and I think my electrologist is good and will take your advice and talk to her and see what we can work out. Thanks.

Gosh I love Arlene, when I was first learning, Arlene was one of the people that encouraged me to try my own hair removal and helped out along the way. The passion she has for electrolysis knows few boundaries.Like Arlene, it didnt take much experience with electrolysis to start to develop a real passion for what this art can do myself.
You arent wrong with your numbers. It really does cost that much. I run into this all the time, sometimes with people who have significant hair problems, but for one reason or another no money or very little money.The thing is as electrologists we are business people. Part of our job is to help you make what can be a large expense, affordable. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and sometimes, the squeeky wheel gets greased. Often, here’s a little known secret about electrology, we fill our chairs with lower or non paid work, in the hope that it comes back to us. A good example is a treansguy I did some presurgical work, I’l call him, Mike ( not his real name) . Mike came looking for a lessor price at one point, and he was under a time constraint as the hair needed to be removed before a gender reassignment surgery .I knew he couldnt afford it at the time, he was on a small disability amount from the government, but I knew he drove. I dont, but I occasionally need help to move something or to go out of town distances. So I made an arangement and essentially made a tab, and then started deducting from his tab when he would drive me somewhere.Trading services like that is a great way to work with your electrologist and budget a little bit of money. And if you are the type that is around in the middle of a workday when there is a gap, often an electrologist might offer such a slot up to a client they know struggles to pay for their treatment, just to fill the empty gap with some kind of income generation for the business.

So, If I only had a small amount of money and a large hair issue, I would communicate that to the electrologist, and find out if there’s any services you might be able to help with in trade.
It’s kind of what keeps small business alive.
Seana

2 Likes

Okay cool. I’ll definitely talk to her. I’ve bartered before so I would definitely be open to that. I just didn’t want to be insulting to her. I have several side hustles—I’m a writer, a quilter and I refinish furniture. I also bake and can clean like nobody’s business. I used to clean a daycare center in exchange for childcare and I do Christmas baking for lots of people. But I know small business owners have people asking for a better price all the time and that’s not right. But I will talk to her to see if she’s open to some type of exchange for a discount.

1 Like

pssss…
you see, “barter” is a tax term in the US and I do not know where you are but if you are in the USA, know that businesses are supposed to report barter and actually claim it and pay taxes.
So, for example, I should be charging you $75 but you cook for me in lieu of giving me cash because we are bartering, I am still supposed to claim the $75.

So, what you can do is NOT use the term barter and not discuss money but instead say that you will help each other out like friends do.

1 Like

Ah, good point. The daycare center didn’t use the term ‘barter’ either. Thanks for the pointers everyone. Can’t wait until after the holidays to talk with her.