Electrolysis treatment diary - South Australia

Perhaps try giving your skin a longer break between treatments. Some skins need a gradual approach to electrolysis. Also bathing with a warm salt solution can be both cleansing and healing. Have you tried tee tree oil?

I ended up having about three weeks off before I went for this electrolysis appointment to let my skin heal, which worked, though the skin still felt a little more sensitive in the area where I had electrolysis than anywhere else, a slightly tight feeling. I’m not sure how else to describe it. I use tea tree oil at night and witch hazel and aloe during the day. I will try bathing the area with warm salt water tonight to see how that goes as well, thank you.

Is it ok for me to use a Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) acne cream on an area where I am getting eletrolysis? I have had a recent outbreak of pimples and have been using a cream on them, but I am having another electrolysis appointment on Thursday and was wondering if I should stop before and after treatments.

If your skin is dry and cracked, then your electrologist may not like what she see’s and thus be hesitant to work on that area. Please talk to your electrologist about this, emilily, since she can see the condition of your skin.

Thanks Dee, the actual area where I get electrolysis doesn’t have many pimples at all and I’ve been trying to steer clear of it anyway, when using acne cream. I will see what she says.

If no electrolysis is being performed on the areas where you use these acne preparations, then there should be no problem with continuing their use. Spot dab those pimps a couple days before treatment and avoid coating the clear areas.

It seems I’m going about once a fortnight at the moment - that seems to be how long it takes for the next set of hairs to grow through. I have 10 min appointments, where I achieve clearance of all terminal hairs (which are few) and darker hairs that have been tweezed over a long period of time. In the last 5 minutes I usually have the vellus hair that is right under my chin thinned out. My electrologist commented today that it takes me a while to heal. I guess I’ll try to get back into the habit of taking a multi vitamin. I get 9 hours of sleep a night but at the same time I know I am fairly stressed a lot of the time so that might have something to do with it.

But, I’m just really glad that I can get clearance in such a small amount of time since the amount of hairs growing in is so minimal.

One thing though, the area where I have eletrolysis I find gets quite itchy sometimes, even up to a fortnight after my treatments. What would be causing that? I find it really difficult to see my chin, especially in good light, since my lights are fairly dark or else situated so that I can’t get a good look at my chin…

Went for an electrolysis appointment yesterday after not having been in ages. I feel a bit guilty about that since I started tweezing. I have just been really busy lately. Now everything is back to normal and I had a 10 min appointment. I’m really happy about one thing though - I had hardly any reaction, when I used to have pretty bad reactions every time.

Hello everyone.

I’m going for an electrolysis appointment today, first time since November, 2010. At the time it was performed with the blend method and I found it incredibly painful. I have terminal hairs growing on my chin and upper lip.

I moved to Sydney a month ago which has allowed me to find a practitioner who uses the Apilus Platinum Pure!!

I’m looking forward to being able to permanently remove these hairs instead of tweezing every day.

Had my first appointment in three years today! Thanks to a skilled electrologist and a new fangled machine, it was almost completely painfree. As advised by my electrologist, the redness of the treatment area subsided within an hour of treatment.

Mine charges $90/hour.
It is difficult to find qualified electrolycists. When I googled it for the Phoenix area, I kept getting results for Laser hair removal or the link would say electrolysis then it would take you to a laser hair removal salon. Laser doesn’t work on everyone :stuck_out_tongue:

My new electrologist in Sydney is both highly qualified and experienced, and has more reasonable rates! However to be fair, the electrologist I went to years ago was like lightning! (And those were her prices in 2010, I’m wondering what they would be now). I stopped at the time as I didn’t have the money/resources/time to keep going back for more punishment (it was very painful) and just tweezed for the past few years.

And websites are VERY tricky in regards to hair removal, they always seem to include electrolysis in the page tags etc, but then always lead to LHR or, worse, IPL (intense pulsed light) which is totally dodgy. :slight_smile:

Finally started electrolysis on my stomach! 1 hour and there’s hardly anything left - will do another hour session soon and hopefully have a full clearance :slight_smile:

I wanted to post about my progress.

With 5 hours of electrolysis I achieved clearances on my stomach, underarms and chest. I’m currently waiting for this to grow back so I can go for the next round of clearance with Nicolette from Clinical Electrolysis, where I get treatment. With the stomach and chest, this was more the darker, thicker hairs rather than vellus hairs.

I am really excited about my face! After shaving my upper lip daily since I was 12, I have now gone about one month without shaving. And tonight after my appointment I felt like I’d finally turned a corner :slight_smile: I can see the difference electrolysis is making and it’s really exciting! (As well as liberating…) Every sessions there is less hair, and what is left is finer and less noticeable.
I’m also going for 45 minute fortnightly appointments now, so it’s great to get lots done in a session and only have to go in once a fortnight, letting my skin get a bit more rest time.

Yay!

congratulations emilily . Sounds like we may be moving this thread to "success stories " soon. Isnt it nice when yu can see the difference?

Seana

Hi Emily I noticed you started this thread 3 years ago have you finished in any area during that time or still continuing with treatment in the same area’s?

Hi Helen, I’ve noted all my treatments in my signature.

The electrolysis I received in 2010 was 70 minutes of blend over a couple of months, as the practitioner I was seeing only worked in 10 minute increments, and did not have the magnification/lighting equipment or inclination to treat vellus hair. I stopped going after the 70 minutes and haven’t had electrolysis since.

Right at the end of August, I had my first electrolysis treatment currently. I’ve had quite a few now. There are still hairs which have not been treated and obviously it’s still in the beginning stages, as it’s only been 2 months of treatments, totaling 4.5 hours.
There is a noticeable reduction in vellus hair and all terminal hair is gone, with just one or two popping through between each appointment. The hair on my upper lip is noticeably reduced but because plenty of it is still in the stage where it’s been shaved it’s blunt on the end… However I think after next fortnight it will almost all be gone, and then it is maintenance.

Then it will be treatments for around a year to get rid of everything :slight_smile: I’m assuming that as time goes by I will be able to space treatments further apart, but the vellus hair under my chin and on my sideburns is extremely dense so I think there will be plenty to work on!!

I’ve now had 10.5 hours of treatment, over 6 months.

I’m currently going for 45 minute appointments every fortnight.

It’s working really well :slight_smile:

So cool to get an update on this! thanks for checking in.

Do you have any before and after pics?

I don’t have any before and after pictures of my treatment. I never let my facial hair grow out before getting electrolysis. Once I began having my upper lip treated, I would stop shaving just a couple of days before a treatment.

After a while, I started not shaving at all between treatments. It’s now been maybe 9 months since I’ve shaved my upper lip.

I now go for 45 minute facial electrolysis appointments every three to four weeks. While I get redness for an hour or so afterwards, I don’t tend to have much other reaction, sometimes a white head or two.

I have also had 4 sessions on my underarms, stomach and chest. These areas have responded really well to electrolysis.