Electrolysis training UK

Dear all,

I’m seriously considering purchasing my own machine and training to become an electrologist. I would really appreciate some advice as to how to go about this as Im a bit unclear!

I work full time at the moment, so my training would have to be part time, which Im fully prepared to commit to. However, Im not sure what qualifications are required. I have read that you need to have NVQ level 3 in beauty before you can become professionally certified, is this correct?

How long do you think this training would take, and at what cost? I must stress that these are really some preliminary investigations hence my rather pathetic knowledge of the subject :slight_smile:

I also wonder if there would be much call for this in my area? I live in Hampshire, UK, and althought I know there are a couple of forumites from the same place I dont know whether it would justify setting up my own business.

I don’t know the answers to your questions, but I do know that with 9 out of 10 people having hair someplace they want gone, one can make a living at this, if one can find a way to bring the customers to you in small ripples that are just enough for you to be able to do the work they want done, but not too much, so you are too booked up to take new customers when they call. (A problem that some electrolysis practitioners actually do have)

I think in the UK you may have to do HND beauty therapy, only then can you be cover by insurance. look up www.electrolysis.co.uk for more info

The electrology association in the UK offers tips and a list of reputable centers: http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=69

babbenclark, I have been looking into it too.

I think you can do just an electrolysis course on it’s own and get NVQ certification just for electrolysis.

http://www.beauty-training.co.uk/hair-removal-courses/electrolysis.ashx

But there doesn’t seem to be much out there for electrolysis alone and I can’t seem to find any info on how good or useful the courses are. It’s a sad situation.

Hi there I’ve been looking in to doing this myself and e-mailed the BIAE for advice. This is the response I received:

"thank you for your email. Yes you’re right, you don’t have to do beauty therapy to get an electrolysis qualification, and if anyone tells you otherwise then please let us know. All you need to do is make sure the electrolysis course you are taking is accredited (ie you can gain insurance in order to treat the public once you have passed.) I didn’t do beauty therapy either, so it’s definitely not a hindrance.

Let me know if you need any more info. You can find course listings at the following links:

Itec http://www.itecworld.co.uk/colleges/?q=16&c=null&p=null
VTCT http://www.vtct.org.uk/Qualifications/BeautyTherapy/tabid/62/agentType/View/PropertyID/734/Default.aspx
CIBTAC (they have two courses instead of one, you need both) http://www.cibtac.com/electrical-epilation-diploma/ and http://www.cibtac.com/blend-epilation-diploma/

There are also private qualifications ie not a nationally recognised certificate but privately accredited by insurance companies so you can still get insurance.

Kind regards…"

So good news! I am looking to do a course with Sterex (VTCT accredited) in Birmingham in October which is spread out 7 days over a month for £1950 which includes a Sterex machine. I have asked and this does qualify you to train as an electrologist.

Hope this has helped you somewhat

So, you can become an electrologist in one month’s time, with seven days of actual classroom time?

Just to clarify in order to get on to the Sterex course you are required to hold an NVQ in beauty therapy OR a qualification in anatomy and physiology which you can get through distance learning.

What is an NVQ in beauty and what does that entail, cheshirecat? The anatomy and physiology part is good.

dfahey, I believe there are three levels you study progressively.

NVQ 1 covers:
Assisting with manicures
Assisting with skincare and facial procedures
Working on the salon reception
Health & safety in the salon setting

NVQ 2
manicure and pedicure methods
facial massage and skin care
hair removal techniques
health and safety requirements
make-up techniques
customer care
receptionist duties
eye treatments

NVQ 3
electrolysis
financial management
artificial nail extension
face and body electricals
epilation
body massage
aromatherapy
Indian body massage

As you can see electrolysis is only a small element of the 3rd stage of the qualification so how this would make you better qualified to perform electrolysis over a student who studied a dedicated electrical epilation course I do not know? Fortunately this isn’t the case but some information on the net seems to suggest so.

The course I linked allows you to do the NVQ electrolysis module only and claims “This will enable you to obtain public liability insurance.”

No previous experience required.

It’s a 4 day course.

I don’t know what the training is like in other countries but to me, this is a big factor for why electrolysis in the UK is in a pretty sad state.

The BIAE certification is pretty rigorous I believe. My electrologist has said that the exams have become easier though to make it more attractive.
Also, from what I’ve read, it hasn’t really moved with the times. They should be teaching the things we know from HairTell, i.e. that electrolysis in the right hands, with the right equipment can compete with Laser in terms of area and outstrips it in terms of results.

Why does my electrologist just use a lamp with basic magnification and a Sterex machine (upgraded from a Rita Roberts branded one)? All the electrologists in the salon have held BIAE registration from a long time. Perhaps because the BIAE is not promoting the fact that it can get a LOT better than this??

Thanks for explaining. A four day course leaves me shaking my head.

Dear Dee, in Germany You can start this business without the need af ANY course. I had two courses of 3 days each with a few months of training in between, and i did not work on customers in this time. Actually i feel the need of some kind of professional mentoring and somebody looking on my technique. It is the only way to real mastership - and that is similar to learning a musical instrument.

Beate

In Spain, it is the same. A course of 3 days and go! to work on the first victim. Poor victim!

Thanks all - this is really helpful stuff :slight_smile:

My course was 600 hours, but has now been raised to 750 hours. Some states require 1,200 hours. Other states have no licensing at all. I had to travel five hours a day, two days a week for a little over a year. The course was very comprehensive, run by a very dedicated, serious, no nonsense electrologist. However, with all the time and effort expended, I am being honest when I tell you, I felt very gosh with the actual hands on insertion application after I graduated. I wish I had more guidance on that aspect. Being that accurate insertions is the heart of it all and no one can give you that skill - it must be gained and refined by one actually thinking through the principles of good insertions and practicing on hundreds of thousands hairs before it becomes as natural as brushing your teeth. One has to do this part on their own.

So whether a course is 20 hours or 600 hours, we all have to work on our “victims” to get good.

As a current “victim” :wink: of a very experienced :slight_smile: and talented electrologist, I strongly agree with Dee’s post. The accuracy and quality of insertions is determined strictly by experience. While many clients may have similar conditions, there are always many, many different types of skin, follicle, and hair, in all possible combinations. Practice, practice, practice and learn, learn, learn. Experience is truly priceless.

For anyone interested, a new electrolysis/laser school is opening in Columbus. Classes are scheduled to begin March 4, 2011. The Cosmetic Therapy Training Program will offer a 765 hour program, with 50 hours of the required laser hair removal program, also being offered. The State Medical Board of Ohio and the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools have both approved the program.

Instructors will be physicians and others who have a degree within the science they teach. Those that are CT’s/electrologists now may attend regularly scheduled classes, for a fee, to obtain the continuing education required for license renewal every two years. Classes will be offered on Friday’s and Saturday’s from 8am to 6:30 pm. Don’t know the fee schedule, but anyone interested in attending this new program can call Vickie Mickey’s office at 614-457-0448.

I personally am very pleased that this program recognizes the need to train students in both modalities for professional hair removal/reduction - electrolysis and laser. I have been to Vickie’s facility and it is very nice, not to mention, very accessible from the interstate.

In order to pick up this thread again:

And thats why i would prefer an easy entry into business, maybe something like a course over a few days, followed by a time of training on volunteering models, other newcomers or oneself, and an additional intense course before actually going into business. That has been (not only) my way, and it is one of the few ways to deal with the poor training situation.

This leaves, however, a huge gap: a professional mentoring system. At least i feel the need to have someone look closely and critically on my insertions and learn by exchange with other collegues.

We had professional mentoring before the licensing boards drove people into sanctioned schools and put all their might into convincing people that apprenticeship was illegitimate.