Electrolysis training UK

Wow, very odd feeling to see an email I sent being put onto the internet! That was me answering on behalf of the BIAE when I was a board member. There’s quite a bit I’d like to say about education in the UK but I’m actually working on launching an initiative about this so I’ll have a whole website full of statistics, info and other stuff on electrolysis training in the UK very soon.

However I’d like to pick up on this comment “So, you can become an electrologist in one month’s time, with seven days of actual classroom time?”

I had an interesting email from an american living here for a year or so who wanted to learn electrolysis, yet couldn’t find a course with the required amount of hours for her state once she moved back. I think it was 300 hours, might have been more.

So here’s the thing; in the UK electrolysis courses cover just that, electrolysis. Not A&P, not months and months of practise, but just electrolysis. By which I mean theory, how to perform it, a little A&P to fill in what wasn’t covered before and a little practise to ensure the student can safely find the correct settings, not overtreat the skin and of course treat the hair properly.

Courses can vary, so some include the A&P with the electrolysis, others include several weeks of treating the public, but the majority (not all but the majority) don’t include the months of hands on practise to become work ready, as the student is expected to do this under the eye of their employer once qualified. That’s a drawback for someone who wants to work for themselves, but no-one can start a business from scratch with a full client list so it’s a moot point (sucks for the first few clients, I always advise working on friends and family for a few months in this situation. This is something I’ve identified as a problem but as I mentioned I’m working on gathering more data on this right now).

But even courses that included A&P, learning electrolysis and lots of practise didn’t make up the requirements for her state board, because it’s just not how electrolysis is taught here. Students are expected to learn a large part of the theory and A&P in their own time, and make their own arrangements to bring themselves up to speed (finding their own models, work in their own time etc). And as mentioned before A&P is a separate qualification here, although some courses include it. And it’s a HUUUUUGE amount of information to learn for the written assessment, certainly exceeding the state requirements for this lady. Yet because it’s not all taught in a class it can’t be measured as class hours.

So while theoretically someone could take what looks like a short course and start up their business, in reality there is a hell of a lot of work to do after passing to bring oneself up to working speed, which is accepted as normal.

I feel classroom time is a misleading measurement of a UK electrolysis course as it doesn’t include the prerequisites and postgrad practical work. It clearly means something else in the US ie to be work ready. It would be pretty unfair to dismiss the Sterex course because a) it’s taught by someone who is respected and very passionate about electrolysis and b) no-one passes if they can’t safely treat clients and complete a written assessment for the theory side.

I teach electrolysis privately and the time taken to pass varies from 1 month to almost 2 years! And when I say pass I mean able to perform a treatment safely no matter how difficult the hair. Everyone is different, everyone learns in a different way. A 300 hour course would be heaven for some, and way too slow for others. But having short courses like we do in the UK is not better or worse, it’s just different. You get good and bad electrologists either way, for a variety of reasons. There are a lot of variables at play (class size, motivation of students, ability of tutor). And besides, no one is perfect. I’m quite sure there are people out there who weren’t happy with my treatment, and in turn I get ex-clients from electrologists who I know are great, yet the client will say they were awful!

So to cut a long, rambling post short, the Sterex course is damn good, hope you enjoy it cheshirecat.

(waves to Christine: Pamie here, didn’t mean to start posting now but got such a shock seeing my email here!)

Electrolysis is not in a sad state because of training, it’s in a frustrating state because there is a lack of newcomers to the profession. If there is a lack of people entering the profession then, short of dragging people into colleges, there is nothing more that can be done.

“Perhaps because the BIAE is not promoting the fact that it can get a LOT better than this??”

Would you care to expand on this please?

For some reason in particular? if my intuition is correct and you are the owner of those hands that are in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAwYGhjcdQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL, it is a pity that you do not participate more often. Congratulations, you do a magnificent job.
Thanks, thanks a million for sharing with everyone.

As for the claim Stoppit, at least in my country, this is a fact. The Electrolysis is included among the objectives of teaching aesthetics (at a level of higher education). But time should be devoted to the practice of this technique is usually used in other methods of permanent removal.
Perhaps it is unfair to blame the associations because of the sad state that runs through our profession, but at least in my country, the lack of activity by the association of electrologists is deplorable. For some years I was part of the Spanish association ANEDE, as a member. The ex-president was more committed activist I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, Marisa Díez from Bilbao, a woman who fought like a true champion to restore the lost prestige of Electrolysis in Spain. We still go on in contact time to time. In my opinion, associations such as the BIAE, ANEDE, etc, have the power to urge the governments of each country to promote access to the profession by students. The high demand from consumers is the best argument. For some reason, there are professions that lose popularity and interest. As I heard, this is what happened to nursing in the UK. Some years ago, many Spanish nurses emigrated temporarily to attend the demand of professionals there. The Ministry of Education is responsible for returning the prestige electrology deserves, and the Associations are which should fire a rocket in its powerful ass.

WOW I have missed a great thread here!
Thank you Josefa for the last post! I soo agree with you!
I cannot wrap my head around the fact that electrolysis is THE SINGLE MOST EFFECTIVE PERMANENT HAIR REMOVAL METHOD and yet very few people know that! In the same time, the training provided for professionals is quite basic and there aren’t many places you can go and get continuous support and mentoring (if any at all exist).
I personally did a full CIBTAC beauty diploma and electrolysis was one of the modules. For electrolysis we had designated day Monday every week for 7 months - practical session in the morning 9:00-12:00 and theory in the afternoon. So pretty much everything you need as knowledge was covered. I believe you can do just the electroysis module, if you wanted to. Still I didn’t feel confident at all about it. I new I was working safely and hygienically and my insertions seemed correct and the hair was sliding out most of the time and none wanted to sue me for now. So I figured this must be ok. Practice and my encouraging and supporting employer in the first year + reading a few good books on it actually gave me my confidence. And then I started experimenting and learning more with every satisfied client. And after 8 years I still constantly look for confirmations that I am doing it right, that I am not missing something. It’s much easier to feel confident when you start quickly loosing your clients after a few months or a year due to no regrowth.
BUt what about all the other newly electrology qualified - how are they going to build their confidence if they are not lucky enough to get an employer like my first one ( and trust me - she is a rare find ). I would think it is the job of the professional association to step in at that point and offer the inspiration and support necessary to build professionals who with their highly effective work and motivation would help rebuild the image of electrolysis. And I would really like this to happen NOW when anyone is allowed to buy/rent ILP/laser and start zapping unsuspecting victums.
Don’t get me wrong - I am not against laser. I am against people without much knowledge operating one.
Both laser and electrolysis have their benefits and in the knowing set of hands can deliver miracles every day.
I really want people to know what today’s electrolysis technology can do for them though, but how can this happen when my colleagues don’t know what miraculous piece of technology they have on their hands in an electrolysis machine.
I know training might be very difficult to change and will take a long time to achieve this ( if ever), but why don’t the BIAE organise some continuous post-educational type of training including looking at new technologies like the Apilus, discussing strategies and techniques.
I was a member of BIAE for about a year, by the way.
I found the advertising on the BIAE website a positive. There was the newsletter too… but I didn’t feel I belong to something big and beautiful and inspiring…And that may sound foolish, but it can make a big difference.

Actually, it is NOT surprising that such information is now cloaked knowledge. We are also told that gasoline is better than biodiesel, that vitamin C is dangerous if you get more than 200mg a day, and that without licensing professional work cannot be done.

Rudolph Diesel was famous for saying something like, “Man is not bad, just badly managed.” Those in control are not interested in making the world be its best, just making sure that what ever is going on is under their control, and certain things are the way they are for no reason other than to better control things, and the better way be dammed.

Just the fact that the cure for scurvy was known for centuries, and yet not recognized by official medical circles until 1932 tells you a lot.

1 Like

Dear Geri,

Thank you for your post. I think the above summarises my feelings.

I may write a post to explain my point of view as a client.

Just to pick up on one of your points for now. In my electrolysis quest, I have personally met 6 BIAE registered electrologists. One being my own and 3 others, her colleagues. Not one knew of newer technologies such as the Apilus machines or what they are capable of. They all used basic diopter lamp magnification and lighting. Not to mention some of the claims in regards to what it is/is not possible to do with electrolysis.

It’s my opinion that the BIAE should be at the forefront, promoting what is possible in the modern world of electrolysis and supporting electrologist in their quest for continued education.

1 Like

“BUt what about all the other newly electrology qualified - how are they going to build their confidence if they are not lucky enough to get an employer like my first one ( and trust me - she is a rare find ). I would think it is the job of the professional association to step in at that point and offer the inspiration and support necessary to build professionals who with their highly effective work and motivation would help rebuild the image of electrolysis.”

Hi Geri, if Mr. Bono projects materialize, this would not be necessary. We would have a web dedicated to everything related to the Electrology, do you see? a site where to find advice, for each new case difficult to enter through our doors. Where to concentrate all the information related to the duration of the cycles in each area of the body, patterns to follow in each area, eyebrows, hairline, chest, sideburns, and so on. Tips and photos to recognize the temporary system used prior to treatment. Explanations to know to determine the percentage of hairs that are not present on the surface of the skin and thus to determine the percentage of false regrowth. A guide to proper positions for not tormenting our backs. All kinds of tools and their advantages and disadvantages.
Know when you are coagulating or where you are desiccating.
A new PDF file weekly? A new monthly newsletter? I subscribe to the site immediately
My God, did you ever stop dreaming? Fortunately, tomorrow I return to work, my holidays are over, otherwise I would need to clear my mind, Michael do you lend me a brush?

1 Like

Now wouldn’t that be an amazing resource.

1 Like

Wow, Josefa, this is great news!
If there is anything I can help with, count me in.

1 Like

(Kind of) sorry for trying to revive an old thread but I am now in this situation too. I am American and have wanted to learn electrolysis for several years, but can’t afford to go to school here. In my state, 100 miles away is an accredited school that costs $15,000 for tuition alone. They do not offer federal financial aid but recommend several private loans with horrible interest rates. I know it’s an investment but it’s not one I’ve been able to afford. Fortunately, this year I am moving to the uk to be with my husband. So! Maybe this dream may yet become a reality. I am looking for courses in West Yorkshire, preferably. Most require you take a pre-requisite course for waxing, nails etc and stuff I’m not interested in. At this point I’m just putting out feelers but I’m grateful to any eyes that happen to come across this post.

1 Like

Check your PM’s I sent you an e-mail address for a lady that should be able to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Contact the BIAE, they offer courses and I believe they also have a mentorship program.
www.electroysis.co.uk

1 Like

I’ve been teaching electrolysis since1989 and we are about to launch an 100% online training program. Something not available currently. I can put you on our list to be contacted once we launch. jenniferd@jadeclinics.com

I have actually graduated from a course at the Yorkshire College of Beauty since and am now fully qualified and practicing, however I think they have since rebranded and perhaps no longer teach electrolysis, so hopefully this information will help someone else who might be in this situation now.