ELECTROLYSIS SUCCESS STORIES! Add yours here.

I did my initial training at the Southeastern School of Electrology in Lexington, KY. It was a 750hr. program that I completed in about a year. Louise Chaffins was my instructor.
She is a very knowledgeable practicing electrologist who has taught for many years. Louise is primarily a blend practitioner, although I know recently she purchased the Apilus Senior II, so I assume she teaches on this epilator now as well.

I attended the A.I.E. school. This school is in Santa Ana, CA and Johanna did most of the teaching. I did not do the the school program, but did the training coarse offered, as a free service, to anyone purchasing their epilators. The training I received was on “using their epilator,” as I had already been through the fundamentals of electrolysis. I think I had about 20hrs. of instruction.

My recommendation would be to train Apilus if possible. They are experts on their epilators. The instructional manual provided with my Apilus epilator was very basic (unlike Clareblend’s manual which is very helpful). This is one area I would like to see Apilus improve upon.

In my blend training I learned to identify hairs by “units of lye.” I would look at a hair and identify it as a “60 unit of lye” or a “45 unit of lye hair” (the “unit of lye” measurement was established by the coarseness and depth of the hair). Once the hair was identified (say it was a “60 unit of lye” hair), I set the RF, which is simple to do (parameters were given in manual). Then, all that was needed to be decided was, how did I want to put the “60 units of lye” into the follicle. For face treatment, a timing of 6-10 seconds should be used. There is a simple equation to create the lye needed (seconds x ma = units of lye). So, if I decided to do a 10second epilation time, I would set the ma setting at 6ma. It was a very scientific approach. When I write this it sounds complicated, but it is not.

Anyway, the Apilus equipment is very different. There is no RF or HF to set, which is a critical setting of Clareblend epilators (this measurement is incorporated in the intensity setting of Apilus epilators). There is an “el” measurement on Apilus epilators (which I had never heard of, it is not talked of in Hinkel’s or Bono’s books) which reflects the timing and intensity combined. My point is, I could not figure this epilator out on my own and the manual did not give comprehensive instruction - no RF or HF menitoned, what constituted els was not explained, the els recommended for different hair structures were listed, but they were very vague. I absolutely needed their class. Their class instruction included going out of the presets - when it was appropriate to raise timing and when it was better to raise intensity etc. The class was very helpful with settings. It would be nice to have this information in the manual or on a video, as it is not always feasible for someone to make the trip to CA. They are very good at answering emails when you have questions.

Thank you very much for such detailed description!
Also, I sent you a Private Massage. Please, check it in My Stuff - Massages

I’ve meaning to post my success story for a while…

I started electolysis in October 2010 on nipple area and belly button area and chin area (chin area was the most minor - maybe ten dark, thick hairs that seemed to be popping up all the time). I went every three weeks for treatments (using the thermolysis method) and completely stopped all plucking, and did this for aprox ten months like clock work; then it dropped to me only needing to go every five to six weeks and now I only have to go once every 2 months for a five minute session to clear 2-3 hairs total in the nipple and belly button areas; the chin area hasen’t required any clearance at all in months.

It’s pretty amazing, I completely didn’t expect these results but I trusted the Forum - got my first referral from someone here - and I have to say, it’s really changed my life. No more tweezer! I added electolysis to my very outer bikini area at about the third month mark in order to fill up a full hour of treatment and that’s pretty much finished up too.

I’ve had two amazing practionners, which I feel very lucky about: a wonderful woman who retired about six months ago and I was then referred to the equally wonderful Susan Belfer, who I see now, in central Toronto, and who I highly recommend - her contact info is at http://www.belferbeauty.com

I’m so, so grateful for this forum and its moderators and for the work I received at the hands of Susan and my previous practionner! Thanks!

About Me: I started waxing my upper lip and plucking my unibrow at age 10! When I hit my early 30s, I decided that 2 decades of waxing, threading and plucking was enough, and I sought a permanent solution.

I tried YAG laser on my bikini, and figured if it worked, I would move on to my face. Everything was fine but then I got burns and hyper-pigmentation on my 6th session! I think it was a blessing in disguise because I bought another groupon for laser sessions for my face and would have started face sessions THAT DAY had I not got burned. Thank god I didn’t get YAG on my face! To top it all off, all of the hair slowly came back.

I even tried IPL on my underarms at another location and that didn’t work. Even though I didn’t get burned from IPL, 6 sessions later my underarms were still hairy.

I am naturally tan due to my Asian-Pacific Islander heritage and scar with hyper-pigmentation very easily. I’m still trying to fade the bikini line scars from laser. Maybe laser works for some, but it’s not for me because all I got was temporary hair reduction AND I got burned and scarred.

Electrolysis to the rescue!
I started electrolysis on my upper lip and chin with an electrologist that has lots of experience. My experience is so great that I just started electrolysis on my underarms! I’m so excited because shaving plagues me with ingrown hair. With electrolysis I have no scars, no hyper-pigmentation, nada.

In the future, I want to tackle more areas where I am prone to ingrown hairs, like my bikini and legs.

I’m really lucky to have found Hairtell and the positive experiences from electrolysis. It feels good to know that I am paying for permanent hair removal and am supporting a small-business owner.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Wow, do we love to hear stories like this! You made my day!

Hi all,
I have been a long-timer reader of this forum but have seldom posted on it. The stories here have helped me through some definite low points in the fight against facial hair!

I first noticed the hair when I was 17 and when was about 22 it had become quite dark and coarse around my neck, chin, sideburns and lip. I initially tried laser but, to my horror, this only made things a lot worse.

There was a long interlude when I didnt really have the courage to try another hair removal method but I read a lot about electrolysis and decided to give it a go. I think I tried about 5 electrologists before I settled on the current one. I can’t tell you how much they varied. Some barely removed any hairs. One did a lot of tweezing, shockingly. And I had an awful reaction when I went to another lady. My current electrologist is very skilled and uses an Apilus machine, something I came to regard as very important.

So far, I have had 13 months of electrolysis and am still going about once every two weeks for fifteen minutes. I’ve pretty much finished with t he lip area and continue to get fine dark hairs removed on the neck and chin. I can’t tell you how much this has improved my quality of life and self-esteem. It’s priceless and I hope this message entices some of you who are hiding in polonecks all summer and covering your face while you talk to try it out. I’m not finished yet but I barely spend any time thinking about it at all. This is from a point where it was literally the only thing I thought about from dawn to dusk for about 4 years.

I’m a doctor and it has given me a huge amount of insight into how patients can feel about their illnesses. It has also given me a great amount of respect for the incredible professionalism of the electrologist community.

Thanks to all those who post in this forum for helping me through my journey.

Freewheeling

waxnomore, laser works on everyone who is a good candidates if the treatments are good (just like with electrolysis). Sounds like you got crappy treatments. Laser on bikini is a breeze and permanent if done right. Feel free to read the FAQs below.

MICHEAL Bono had posted here that one of the top laser guys admitted that it wont work on the labia for those that are interested in the brazilian thing…

Which “top laser guy”? What is the scientific reasoning behind this? Laser doesn’t discriminate between areas on the body - it doesn’t know what’s what. It only targets pigment.

I’ve been meaning to come back and write about my success story for quite some time, but I needed time away from the whole hair obsession to gain a more positive outlook on life. If you read through some of my past posts you will see I had a lot of negative experiences with hair removal, which often times left me angry, scared, doubtful, and depressed. But rather than have everyone skim through a million past posts (probably a lot of them consisting of my tantrums), I will give a summary of the events that led me to hairtell, which has not only been a great site for educational reasons but also for support.

Growing up, I had always been a bit more on the hairier side for a female, but I always coined that with the fact that my father is a hairy beast and I take on quite a few of his physical characteristics. As a teenager, I was always self conscious about my belly because I had a “not-so-happy” trail that I would shave every day. I was always so frustrated, because although it would leave the area smooth, my skin would be littered with shaving bumps. During my later teen years, I started noticing the hair on the sides of my face more. It was light in color and thickness, but it bothered me because it was long, so I started shaving the sides of my face along with the mustache that I started shaving in my younger teen years. It was a bothersome chore and I hated the rough feeling that would come in the next morning, but at that point, it wasn’t bad enough to where I was self conscious about it.

It wasn’t until my earlier twenties that I noticed a big change and that came around the time that I decided to get off of birth control. Within about six months, I noticed some dark, thick hairs coming in around the ball of my skin. Being the hair obsessed person that I was/am, I started shaving and tweezing the area every day. Every day I tweezed roughly 10 hairs or so and although it took care of the problem, it was slowly starting to make my face look a mess.

That’s when my family doctor had suggested laser hair removal and I did some brief research on it and decided to go that route. A little nervous about allowing a laser to touch my face, I started on body areas to get an idea of what it was like. Overall, I had my arms done a handful of times along with my armpits, bikini line, and my happy trail. After about the second body treatment, I decided to let the laser touch my face without any immediate negative reaction. My skin would look a bit sunburned for the day but I was in all my glory that I didn’t have to shave for weeks and my skin was starting to look beautiful because it wasn’t getting beat up every day by razors and tweezers. That glory ended after about the third facial treatment and I started noticing more hair and thicker hair on every spot the laser touched. Dark hairs were sprouting out underneath my chin and by my neck, where dark hair had never been before! It wasn’t until after the fact that I’d discovered about laser stimulated hair growth and by that time, it was too late to turn back time. On the plus side, it worked wonderfully to reduce the amount of body hair on the other areas I had done. I no longer had a “not-so-happy” trail, which was wonderful, but I was “not-so-happy” about walking around with a prepubescent like teenage boy beard.

Not long after, I found hairtell and at first started lurking the forums to gain a better understanding of electrolysis, because I wanted to get rid of the carpet on my face. I started out with treatments with a local electrologist and I went to her for about a total of three months. In the beginning, the skin reactions were tolerable and redness would last about two days without scabbing. Gradually, my skin reactions worsened with each treatment although my aftercare remained the same. Although I’m not one that likes to bash another person, I overall didn’t care for my electrologists attitude and I began to doubt her work, but I stopped treatment a bit too late because the last treatment left me with bloody spots and weeping skin, which eventually left hyperpigmentation marks all over the treated area. After that, I had tried to pamper my skin into good health for a few weeks, but a bit of anxiety began to settle in when I noticed the discoloration was not fading and my overall skin texture wasn’t looking the same and I ended up creating more damage by using skin lightening creams that inflamed and infected the area, damaging the skin barrier and leaving my skin very dry.

But the biggest down fall, was that the same amount of hair was still there from when I had my first electrolysis treatment and I began feeling angry. Once my skin started settling down, I started my search for a new electrologist within my state and I went to a handful of people, all of whom were nice and professional. Some who worked out of their home and some who worked within a business building. But after many months of going every week or two and receiving a clearance each time, I was beginning to feel defeated because I was showing minimal to no progress and my skin had already been through so much that it couldn’t tolerate much at all and healing would take forever. I looked ridiculous, often cried myself to sleep, and hid behind coats of makeup and turtleneck shirts, in attempts to hide the problem and look somewhat normal.

I finally decided to give this hair removal journey one last shot and decided to make the commute to one of the electrologists on this board to see if I could find any success with their treatments. I chose to travel down to Ohio to see Dee, mostly because she was close and also because she appeared knowledgeable and caring about her work. I have to admit that I was quite doubtful in the beginning, but also determined to give it one last try. With the first treatment, she tested different areas with different settings and needles and had me report back to her with which area reacted the best. I won’t lie, the first treatment did not turn out pretty, but I expected that considering my skin had been through a lot and wasn’t in the healthiest condition either. We didn’t give up and we soon came to discover that blend was the key to saving me from a lot of grief. I still left with a bit of a reaction that lasted for a few days, but it was healing so much better and much more tolerable. But it wasn’t the treatment reaction that I was stunned with, it was the results I started seeing after only the second or third clearance. I don’t have any pictures to report the progress, but the machine she used reports the time and number of insertions and the numbers definitely reveal a good idea of the progress, so I will share.

November 12, 2011 – Treatment time 157 minutes, 1339 insertions
December 3, 2011 – Treatment time 139 minutes, 751 insertions
January 14, 2012 – Treatment time 173 minutes, 797 insertions
February 25, 2012 – Treatment time 159 minutes, 575 insertions

Now, these numbers aren’t completely accurate for just one area, because with the last few treatments extra time was added to the upper lip and eyebrow area. I tried to save all of my receipts but I can’t remember if I stopped after four or five treatments, but when I did stop, I did have a handful of dark hairs coming through that were bothersome, but I wanted to give my skin a long break along with myself a long break from the whole hair obsession. Since then, the handful of hairs that are left are about the same. If new hairs have started emerging, I have not been able to visually notice them. I can now confidently say that I believe electrolysis works. My hair removal journey has been a difficult and doubtful one, but it took a long time, patience, and finding the right person to get me to a more comfortable place in life. Thank you, Dee!

I’m sorry it took me so long to report back, but the New Year has brought me some ambition to start fresh. I do plan on eradicating those lasting bothersome hairs soon and I hope to be more active on the board again too, but in a more positive light. Also, for those that have suffered from any negative skin reactions, any areas that appeared discolored and/or questionable pitting from the beginning has filled in and lightened with a lot of time and patience. And as many people have stressed on this board, which I didn’t always follow, less is definitely more. I’ve discovered that even lotion can be damaging to the skin if used too much. But anyways, before this post turns into a book, I want to wish everyone luck on their journey and also I hope that my story provides some hope for those in search of it out there.

Love,
Chewy

P.S. If I get a chance I will try to post a picture soon of how the area looks now. The remaining hairs you will likely not be able to see, but to give an idea of how well my skin has cleared up.

Yes, Chewy the blend was a good choice for your beautiful and very delicate skin. I’m not kidding folks, she is a lovely person In appearance and in her heart. Thanks for following through. It is very helpful to others that are contemplating what to do about their particular hair problem to hear about your personal journey.

Hugs :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your story, Chewy!
But I really cannot understand what are the reasons that all these electrologists did poor job? They were so afraid to overtreat that they mostly plucked the hair? What is the main reason of such poor results?

But I really cannot understand what are the reasons that all these electrologists did poor job? They were so afraid to overtreat that they mostly plucked the hair? What is the main reason of such poor results?

There are many reasons why undertreatment happens. The important thing is learning to recognize it.

For example in body work on a area that hasn’t been shaved in several months, if there is little skin reaction in the treated area and you see many hairs come out the following four weeks after treatment, that feel shaved, then you were undertreated.

Of course you can even have undertreatment coupled with a strong skin reaction but the result is the same. Most of the “new” hair feels shaved.

Ideally, nearly all the hair growing in the following 6 weeks after a treatment should be very light colored and feel soft.
(Oh, and not from the treated follicle.)

Aww, thank you, Dee! You’ve been a lifesaver! And that’s no lie, folks!

ekade – I can’t necessarily say that the other electrologists had done poor work, but I did not feel confident enough to feel that I was making any progress with them. Each I had given a few months with clearances every week or two and I didn’t feel like there was even a budge in progress. I know many say that’s not enough time to really tell, but there were also a few other things that made me feel doubtful. One did not use any magnification, another I could feel probably 80-90% of the hairs being plucked, and then another used thermolysis only and was hesitant about turning down the settings, which was just too much for my skin. All of them were lovely and professional people, but I wanted to feel like my patience and efforts were going to take me somewhere. I had spent close to a year and a half getting the hair cleared off my face on a weekly to bi-weekly basis and it had looked the same as when I first started. After lurking these forums for quite some time, I came to see that many of the electrologists who post here are very knowledgeable and caring and many are not afraid to try new things to benefit their clients. That’s the kind of care I wanted and felt more confident about. That’s when I traveled to see Dee and after only four clearances with her, I felt like I was finally “getting somewhere.” And boy was that a wonderful feeling!

I haven’t posted in ages and I don’t really come on this forum much anymore. Why? Because electrolysis (and later laser for other areas) worked! It literally changed my life. I had a lot of electrolysis on my face. I still go once in a while. I am so lucky to have found a pretty good practitioner in my area and then found an even better one almost 2 years later. I keep adding areas because I know it will work. This site really educated me in the process and I am so grateful for it and to all the people that contribute to it!

Well done Caligirl. Good electrolysis is addictive, but eventually you do run out of hairs!! Hairfree, really is carefree.

Yes, electrolysis does work. It is simply satisfying and well worth the investment. It restores and uplifts, but the one word that really describes the feeling of finally being hair-free in an area of concern is a word that every human being understands and that word is FREEDOM.

Thanks for the update caligirl! This is what happens with most posters here and it’s not a bad thing :slight_smile:

Would appreciate your success story on the laser portion of the forum as well when you have a chance.

I am really waiting to tell my story because having observed my electrolysis treatments(due to laser stimulated hair on my chin)so far after 6months,I am so impressed cos the hairs on my chin have become lighter and reduced though there is still hair there. Intially i started with 3 hours of treatment but now its down to 1hour with fine tuning and all of my chin area and now added my chest and stomach to make up for the 3hours.Am so happy.I hope i would be done with my chin by dec2013 cos i started on june 13th 2012.Also i go for full clearance everyime i get to see my electrologist every two weeks.I CAN’T WAITTTTT!!

You are doing this correctly. This is how one achieves their goal of permanent hair removal with electrolysis. Each appointment brings you closer to being hair-free and the urge to add areas is strong because you do have proof, from the original area, that your time and money is not being gambled away.

Hugs to you for posting and hugs to your electrologist for her ability to give you PERMANENT hair REMOVAL.