Electrolysis please will this scar?

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and have just started electrolysis. I had a 25 minute session 3 days ago on my upper lip and the area just adjacent.
The clinician used thermolysis and cleared my upper lip area (the corner of the upper lip) which I now know as a danger zone.
Immediately as I left there was extreme swelling of the area, redness and a couple of open looking sores that seemed to be weeping. There was some yellow discharge. 3 days later I am still swollen, and there are large scabs that seem to join up in a line, and some large circular scabs.
I am very depressed as I had really smooth skin (minus the hair) and now looking through the forums it seems as though I will be left with indented scars.
I have never had acne and I was previously threading.
I am from the UK and the lady in question is registered with the BIAE. She did not use any magnification.
Will this become a permanent scar? Everything I have read on the internet suggests there are no effective treatments for atrophic scars- especially ‘burn’ scars. I am worried I have permanently scarred my skin.
I have Asian skin, dark hair that was slightly coarser on the outer lip area that I was looking to have removed. I will try to add some photos.

That was immediately after

@James_W_Walker_VII @Deedra please reply whenever you get a chance. Just @ you all so that you see my post since there’s so many posts. Thank you so much for your time, I understand you all are very busy.

@Iluv2zap @Hairadicator

Most of those small scabs look like normal healing process. Be sure not to pick at the scabs. Be sure to keep the area clean and let the scabs fall off naturally.

The only area of concern is the larger indentation. As you note, the skin in that area is very thin, and Hairs in that area tend to be very coarse.

I recommend getting some silicone sheets and use them as directed. And it’s also important to avoid getting sun exposure until the area is healed. It is still very early in the healing process for you, but if you have a lot of anxiety about it, you can always speak with a dermatologist. Even in the worst case scenario of a small scar or two, those can be reduced in a number of ways.

Thank you so much for your reply and your time.
Is a silicone gel just as good as silicone sheets?
Should I start using retinol as soon as the scabs fall off?
I will try to contact the nearest dermatologist to me, sadly it is expensive in the UK.
I have been using aloe and witch hazel and a very mild cleanser only.

This is a clearer photo, the upper lip scabs are much larger compared to the cheek
@beate_r i read somewhere you had some over treatment, I would love to know how it resolved. And any other readers if they have similar stories where it’s resolved or not, it would be much appreciated.

@Andrea also it’s hard to see from the photos but all the scabs in that area are indented

The sheets do not wipe off like the gel. It’s hard to tell what the long-term prognosis is for the larger scabbed area, but it will definitely improve significantly over time.

1 Like

The skin was over treated, but I think most areas will heal with time. Do not pick off the scabs. Your electrologist should see this. This is not the healing outcome that any electrologist wants or accepts. Hair can be removed without oozing, scabbing or scaring the client. Some small scabs are of no concern and will heal, but the bigger ones must not be tampered with in the hope that they will heal well. Do consult with a dermatologist and come back with an update. I’ve seen other pictures that were much worse and they did heal very well.

Thank you so much for your time. It is expensive to see a dermatologist but I will try to see one as soon as I can.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to reply, thank you so much.

I spoke to her saying she was not supposed to clear the area and I emailed the photos to her. The electrologist claims she has 14 years experience and my reaction was an unusual reaction. She doesn’t think she overtreated me when I contacted her.

Ok. It’s good you talked to her. Trust your instincts and keep the communication going.

Hi Hannah 1, First off being of Asian decent your skin type has a tendency to discolour. Did your electrologist do a small patch test prior to your actual treatment to observe how your skin would react? Secondly the acidity from the saliva and mucous membrane will cause some reaction and even discolouration. This is the one area of the lip that takes longest to heal. Also being that this was your first time, in treatment your body will react even resisting the electrolysis if you’re finding it to be uncomfortable. The important thing is to keep your hands/finger off the area. Our fingers and nails carry so much bacteria (which are living cells). I would suggest 3% hydrogen peroxide over the first three days after your treatment to draw out any impurities such as dirt and oils. Avoid any creams the first day of treatment. Let it heal. Keep the areas clean. Thirdly the yellow film is plasma. This isn’t anything to be seriously alarmed with. The plasma occurs when the area has been over treated, and this will begin the stage formation to create a scab. The scab is formed to protect the area from becoming infected. Do NOT pre-maturely pull the scab off. This will cause scarring or even pitting. I would also recommend ONLY having a 10-15 minute on the lip to avoid over treatment. You have very sensitive skin and the pigment in your skin is a higher yellow which may cause your skin to react to the intense heat from the electrolysis. Also please stay hydrated. Drink lots of water. Also use a medicated cream such as a Polysporin cream (not gel, it’s too oily) to help calm your skin. I believe you will heal but give it time. All the best.

Thank you
The scabs have come off and there are divots underneath
There still seems to be swelling
Will the appearance of the dents improve with time or will they become more pronounced as time passes and the swelling reduces.
I’m feeling very low about this

Hi there,
I have a very high pain threshold and i didn’t think too much of the pain.
The scabs have come off and left dents. Do you think this will improve over time?
I have had electrolysis before from a different provider and never had this much of a reaction. I only went to this one since it’s closer.
Yes there was a patch test done on my cheek which I didn’t react very much to.

I honestly think It would be best to refrain from electrolysis until the indentations have healed. This could take some time. You had mentioned that your hair was black and on the coarser side. If that’s the case, the coarser the hair is, the more deep seeded it is, the deeper the filament will be inserted causing more heat to eradicate the root. In the meantime trim the hair and be kind to yourself.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am definitely taking a break from electrolysis for now. And I hope the indentations will heal.
Yes the hairs were definitely darker than peach fuzz but not necessarily as thick as beard hairs if that makes sense. But I see what you are saying. It’s hard though since Iv never had that reaction in the past with another provider.
In your experience has anyone had larger indents that have healed in time? It’s hard to find people who report back to say whether it’s healed or not.

Hannah1
Time is on your side. I believe you will heal. However, it is important to be mindful and take care of your skin. Everyone in this forum are professionals. They have given you sound advice. It will take time to heal but I’m optimistic if you keep your hands off the areas, you will be fine. All good things. :relaxed:

@Hannah1 I am a uk electrologist trained by Sterex and I am so sorry to hear about your experience. The BIAE strives for the highest standards in every assert of our craft. At the moment I am studying hard to become a member and believe me it’s not easy. I have to pass a rigorous theoretical exam as well as a practical exam. I know that in the last few months the BIAE have implemented even more rigorous guidelines on what is expected of their new members. Members should also attend regular CPD training to keep their knowledge and techniques up to date.

I suggest you contact the BIAE and inform them of your experience so that they can reach out to the practitioner who treated you. That is why the BIAE is there, to recommend their highly trained members. If this is not the case, as you have demonstrated then it is not what the BIAE strive so hard to do, in fact it is doing the opposite. Please contact them. I wish you all the best in your healing. Lynne