Electrolysis please will this scar?

I’m very sorry you’ve gone through a bad treatment.
It just shows that it doesn’t matter how many years of experience a practitioner has - if she performs a treatment like this then it’s ‘normal’ for her to damage her clients’ skin. It should not be acceptable. I would definitely go back with your case to BIAE.

Would you kindly accept advice on how to select a practitioner in the future?
To start with, ALWAYS have a short trial session first to see if she leaves your skin in a good condition after treatment.
Also, ensure she takes pictures (and take some yourself before starting treatment). Did the lady in question take any prior to the session? If yes, you could ask her to provide them to you - this way you will have an evidence of how your skin looked before.
Sorry, but the location of a practitioner should NOT be the definitive factor in choosing someone responsible for your skin condition. It should be the SKILL (again, trial session is a must). Do your research - their website, pictures of their work, reviews etc. It’s your face, your health, so false economy (convenience, time, money) will eventually cost you even more.

I hope your skin will heal well, and I hope you’ll find someone better at electrolysis.

Thank you so much Lynne for your insight and taking the time to comment.
I can imagine it must be, I can only think my electrologist maybe became complacent with time? I can’t imagine she didn’t know to not clear the area, or to use magnification atleast…
I am definitely going to contact BIAE tomorrow, I tried getting in touch on Friday but couldn’t get through to anyone
All the best with completing your training :blush:

Hi there, thank you so much for your message. You are right and I am still kicking myself for not sticking to my usual practitioner despite the distance I had to drive. And now I suffer the consequences.

She did actually do a patch test of about 3-4 hairs on my cheek which didn’t react like this. So I assumed it would be safe since she was also registered with the BIAE.

I think maybe the test patch wasn’t large enough to get an accurate idea of how I would react, and I should have have asked for a test patch on the upper lip too before trusting her to go ahead.

Thank you so much for your advice, I will keep in mind if I ever feel brave enough to give it another try. For the meantime I just hope it heals well x

I hope you are recovering well. Although swelling and scabbing are frequent side effects of electrolysis, it is essential to see a skilled professional to evaluate your unique condition. Try not to worry too much because everyone’s skin reacts differently.

@Deedra @Andrea
If the area already has indentations while I’m the healing process, is it likely the indents will become deeper with time? As I read scar tissue contracts when it matures if it is from a burn.
Or is it likely to fill out?
I’d be grateful for any insight thank you so much

Where in the UK are you?

I’m in the Northwest

Hey Hannah, I am in the Northwest too. Lynne

Hi @Deedra @Hairadicator @James_W_Walker_VII
I started developing these pits at most insertion points on my cheek too, it’s approx 2.5 weeks post treatment.
I’m worried about these as well as the indents on my upper lip (they are still there now hyperpigmented)
As she didn’t use magnification I’m stressed that these could be permanent…
If anyone else is reading and has any thoughts please let me know.
I have to add I have never had acne/ scars or anything of the sort and have been very fortunate to have smooth skin prior to this, which makes it even more upsetting

#1 Always give your practitioner feedback. Go in and let her see
you close up. Text her your photos.

#2 I believe this will heal. Don’t mess with Mother Nature. Let the
skin do its healing magic. No more treatments until it is fully
healed. I do love REFRIGERATED organic cold-pressed aloe vera
gel immediately after a session and for three days after a session,
but ask your electrologist her opinion.

#3 Modality used : any modality is about energy levels and any
modality can leave you with oozing and scabs IF it is applied to
cause over treatment , like what happened to you. Imperfect
insertions is another no-no. Please keep her informed so she can
take measures to perfect her treatments.

People become afraid, which is understandable, when facial skin is disturbed this much. Always expect some redness and swelling that subsides within minutes to hours to days.

I KNOW I have seen these pictures before. I will remember where eventually. I think it prudent to exercise caution.

Thank you @Deedra
I used aloe Vera and witch hazel gel for approx a week after treatment, and then just been using e45 moisturiser since then mostly. No makeup or exposure to sun.

I have been emailing pictures to the clinic for updates, but I haven’t been back in person since even the thought of it makes me feel really anxious. They haven’t said anything useful besides giving me an oil to use and asking to wait. They didn’t take any responsibility and become defensive when I mention overtreatment so it makes me more upset with them. They maintain it was my ‘sensitive skin’ despite me having earlier treatments and not reacting like this.

Thank you for reassuring me it will heal, how long does it usually take for these pits to go? If I wanted to continue treatments when would that be so you think?

Also one of the dermatologists I saw recommended tretinoin and one said wait a couple months so I’m unsure what to do… what do you feel about tretinoin or copper peptides? Is it too early for this
@Iluv2zap thank you , I’m never going back to her again, I’m annoyed with myself for not speaking up about the red flags instantly and instead just trusting that she’s a BIAE member she’ll know what she’s doing. What’s your opinion on the healing process and the pitting so far?
Also I’m a recent member on this forum after having had this treatment done on 14/07. You definitely can’t have seen these photos before. This is the only place Iv posted these, other than emails to the BIAE and the practitioner in question.

I’m not seeing pits. I don’t know how long it will take to heal the other skin manifestations because there are many variables involved. Stay patient.

Hannah I went back to your first post ( 20 days ago) and saw the first photos and within this timeframe, though it’s not clear where you are seeing the issue , the only thing I see is some normal wound contraction. I honestly dont think your electrologist is to blame.
I hate to sound like an old harpie, but I think a better understanding of the healing process of the skin would help aleviate your fears. immensely. I guess I’ll refer you to my standard go learn about skin healing post electrolysis resource. I sincerely hope this helps.
Experience tells me that most of the time, the concern is 100% on you. By that I mean when someone new comes on here, well, they havent seen this stuff before so ya what seems like “indentations” post electrolysis will seem concerning to you. But it doesnt need to be.Learn, read a bit more, and spend a bit of time with one of my former mentors video I’ll post below, watch all 4 parts ( and rewatch to understand of you need. I think it will help you in your journey .
I will say that I’ve known a great number of BIAE members and I’ve always found them exemplary electrologists, who, in general are filtered and trained more thoroughly than are many North American graduates of electrology schools, they need to conform to stringent standards.
Check out mikes video on the healing skin here and let me know if you have any questions.:

That’s actually nothing to worry about in my opinion. From what I’ve seen on this, that seems minor. FYI, I’m not an electrologist. I’m just looking at the worst possible reactions to electrolysis, why they happened, and how I can avoid them before I start.

@Iluv2zap I appreciate it’s hard to see from the photos, it’s much more visible in real life, so I have tried to take a couple more this morning and attached below. Again it’s hard to show on photos. I’d like to note that although I have some open pores on my cheeks, the sideburn area and the area below the cheeks is smooth, you can see from the pics that around the treated area the skin has no pits/ visible pores. I’ll attach a picture of the other side of my face at some point to illustrate this.

Blue circle=treated area

green circles=indented areas.

If you think these pits are normal wound contraction then I accept that, as it’s better for me knowing that it will clear up. My fear is that they won’t. I watched the videos on both the wound healing and the chin and dents, and was unclear on the timeframes hence my worries.

The wound healing video says about 7-10 days after the injury the scabs fall, the wound contraction also occurs at this point which gives the appearance of pits. After a couple of weeks the effect dissipates- so post 3-4 weeks the temporary ‘pits’ should resolve.
According to the chin and dents video it also looks more indented at this point as the skin around is inflamed, and again the video states skin looks better as time goes along.

Mine however seems to be looking worse.

My cheek was very noticeably swollen for just under 3weeks- no indents at this point. Although there is still some swelling there, I’m noticing more indentations/ pits as the swelling subsides. At just above 3 weeks (23days) post treatment the ‘pits’ should be starting to resolve, as per the timelines suggested. There shouldn’t be more pits becoming visible?

Overall in the wound module he mentions that skin starts to look normal after a week and gets better with time, this actually was the case with my previous sessions. This time it seems to be looking worse if anything.

I suppose I am worried since it’s the first time

I’m experiencing these manifestations, along with the fact they are taking so long to ‘heal’, looking worse as time goes on, and the fact that I still have a long way to go with healing. Will the effects of this session cause any long term issues?

I also have a question regarding the large indent on my upper lip (where the scabs joined up). On one hand I read on forums that it could ‘fill up’ with time, and on the other hand I read burn scar tissue contracts with time, so could it possibly indent further? Any insight into this would also be much appreciated.

Also I agree with your statement regarding BIAE electrologists, however it has been confirmed that I was indeed overtreated.

Not using magnification at all (no glasses/ lamp- just naked eye only) is a big no- I have read this while combing through these forums. Another point is that she was clearing upper lip hair when it is dark with slow thermolysis (making this assumption since she was in each follicle approx 4-5 seconds).

The test patch being 3-4 hairs on one cheek only and none on the upper lip, again is another problem. Also, not trying to adjust for the lowest energy needed. She made an assumption on energy level needed and continued with it .

These are just a few points that show although she was BIAE registered, she did not comply with the standards they set.

She definitely was at fault, and the long indented scar I have on my upper lip (where the long joined up scabs were) is proof of that.

I look forward to your reply.

Yes I know there are definitely worse reactions out there, and I am fortunate I didn’t have it as bad as some. However it’s still difficult to accept when you’ve always had smooth skin prior and then suddenly little imperfections and pits pop up after. Before this I would have felt the same as you- no big deal. But it’s hard when it’s YOUR face and things change, and when you don’t know how the end result will be- whether there’s gonna be more pits or not. It’s even worse knowing you’re just at the beginning of your journey and the hair is nowhere near permanently removed.

Yup, I can understand that. Not sure how my skin is going to react when I get my first session. I’ve had the worst case of paradoxical hypertrichosis. I used to have normal neck hair. Being Asian, i was actually lower on the spectrum of “hairiness”. The ONLY REASON I decided to get LHR was because the LHR clinic kind of forced a package deal on to me after having amazing results on my upper cheeks - “why not get your neck done”? Till this day, it is the worst decision I have EVER MADE but, one that has made me super critical of anything I decide to do in life now.

Oh dear I feel for you that’s how I’m feeling about this last session that’s caused me such issues. Worst decision I made, I should have continued with my last one.
Lots of laser practitioners have tried to convince me to laser my face (I’m having my body done). But a couple of people I know face the same problem as you, and ended up with more hair.
Fortunately electrolysis will be good for you, and I’m happy you’re doing your research on this forum beforehand.
My advice is definitely have lots of test patches, make sure they test you where you need it. Don’t make any rash decisions, I feel like in my desperation to get rid of hair quickly, I didn’t take notice and pushed aside some ‘red flags’.
Make sure whoever you choose has good vision equipment and only do short treatments at first.
As someone said previously on here, don’t let the travel time or convenience be a deciding factor. I hope it all works out for you.

I see the same type of skin above the blue and green boundary lines. Was work done on your upper face as well? It is really helpful when pre-photos are taken. Many of us have large pores that occur naturally. Many of us have old acne scars. It’s really hard to make a judgement call on photos like these.