Electrolysis is leaving me in unbearable agony! The worst pain I have experienced. I'm broken and lost because I need to remove hair but cannot take the pain any longer

I am in agony. And I’m not exaggerating. I started with a few 15 minutes sessions on my breasts and chest. It hurt but it was a short time and I felt happy, as a female to finally start a journey to be hair free. I just want to be able to wear a t shirt or a swimming costumes. Legs arms and back can be waxed or maybe hopefully laser can do some reduction, which I will be grateful for.

I just had my 3rd full hour on my face. I’m so grateful that I think the numbing cream is making even a bit of difference. Maybe even just 10 -30% less pain but I’m grateful because the alternative seem unimaginable.

I cant enjoy the rest of my days as I’m consumed by worry and fear before my next appointment. I have been left hopeless as I want to stop but I’ll have such regrets and I’ve already started and spent this money already. I feel broken and on the verge of going into depression because of the fact excess hair has been the bane of my life as a female for years and also going into a depression because the pain to remove it seems to be getting progressively more painful. I’m already in agony thinking of my appointment next week.

I really don’t know what to do anymore. I’d take death happily at this point. I still have to book an appointment with my gp to get some hormone medication a consultant recommended.

Should I try another electrolysis lady? I’m thinking could it be better or wishful thinking? I honestly wish for a miracle right now. The medicine community announces something like a pill or painless procedure that gets rid of excess hair ASAP.

I have tried to cheer myself up by thinking positive, breathing, reminding myself others suffers much more pain and this is just an hour. Others have gone through it and survived so why can’t I?

1 Like

What numbing cream are you using and how are you applying it and for how long before sessions start? There will always be a degree of discomfort even with numbing creams but some work better at making the sessions much more tolerable. You can also try numbing cream plus icing the areas during the sessions. If you’re still struggling, try other electrologists maybe that is a factor too.

I identify with you and feel the same way. I hope it’s gotten easier for you.

Taking Advil before has helped me a bit, but I’m on the verge of needing to quit. It’s just too painful.

As fenix suggested, your first line of defence is a topical lidocaine product for discomfort. I tend to recommend a product called Zensa, laid thickly ( think 2-3 mm thick minimum ) and re-applied hourly with plastic wrap covering hte area for a FULL 2 HOURS prior to the procedure.

If you are in the US, you have the options of locally injected lidocain or twilight sleep during electrolysis. This is expensive however, and only available in a few specific locales, primarily houston texas or chicago both have clinics that specialize in that kind of electrolysis. Expect it to be VERY expensive.
If your electrologist is causing that much discomfort, yes that would be a good reason to look elsewhere and compare electrologists.

There’s no magic pill going to be forthcoming from the medical community however. Actually, the medical community doesnt see excessive hair growth as a problem that needs to be medically addressed in my experience.

All true. The local anesthetic, however, should not be expensive. Can you imagine a dentist working on you and then charging MORE for the local? (Actually, in the “early days” they DID!)

Let’s put this in dollars-and-cents. One clinic, I know of, charges $20 for 1-cc of lidocaine. One 50cc bottle of lidocaine costs $6.00. So, for an investment of $6.00 … they mark it up so they get $1,000 out of one bottle. Does that seem right?

People are charging a premium and soaking the public because of the pain factor … which is the number one problem with electrolysis. A few other clinics don’t charge extra. However, I won’t name them, because in most cases … our community goes nuts about it. Prices should go down with competition; but our own pedestrian profession continues to fight against it; and, make stupid claims of the “dangers.”

Actually Michael I would think that true except for one thing…Local licocaine Injection is permitted by Doctors and DDS’s but is generally not permitted unless you have a medical license. Most electrologist, Dont have a medical license ( actually Dee is the only one I can think of as I’m not sure if her old nurses certifications allow her to function as a nurse practitioner) . So the additional cost is for the medically qualified personel to administer and supervise the injection when they are not there providing some other medical service. You end up paying for the time of the admistering medical personnel.

1 Like

It is definitely difficult to locate a willing practitioner to help inject my clients or do nerve blocks. I have been searching quite a while, even for someone who would set their own prices, it would be completely separate from my business and the client would have to coordinate the appt with them and pay their fees. I am hoping to find someone soon, especially to help clients with genital/bikini electrolysis.

I’ve done some looking as well . I’ve heard tell that in British Columbia naturopaths might be able to do it, but I havent found any verification of that, and my results to see if that was the case here in ontario never bore any fruit. Dentists and nurse practitioners arent willing or feel it may not be lawful . So, I’ve given up. The answer unfortunately for those clients who want longer sessions or who have a lot of pain problems unfortunately is to do smaller appointments or dont do them at all.

Why not work in a physician’s office? Or have a physician work in your office? (funny how this conversation always ‘goes’ like this … )

That does seem like an easy answer, but that would require me moving my one room practice into their office as they wouldn’t be able to work out of my salon suite while I use it. But I enjoy having my business to myself and not worrying about adopting my business into a medical environment owned by another person.

1 Like

I’m not letting a doctor take up practise in my basement either :slight_smile:

I rented a medical office, in a medical building, and rented most of the area to a physician … So, I was their landlord. And, it was my first office and yes it was a bit of a “sweat.” I had my tiny space and they paid most of the rent.

Over the years, I’ve worked with three different physicians: Dr. Trujillo, Dr. Kaslow and Dr. Whitney. (Also practicing with Dr. Chapple and Perkins … we are still great friends.) It was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot about medical and health issues. That’s how I assisted in surgery. I think there’s a lot of unwarranted fear about doctors “controlling your business” … but actually, they’re just regular people.

I do think, however, that the future of electrolysis will be in association with physicians. Exactly how that plays out, I’m not sure. Although I do have something to say about this. But, like all my ideas, I need a much larger platform to express myself. The “paragraph or one-sentence pronouncements” are frustrating for me … and that’s usually why I try not to engage in big issues on-line. Instead, scripted videos and publications work best for me. It also keeps me from “mis-speaking.”

There are many phenomenal electrologists working in a medical setting that are really “killing it” in my area. I’m hopeful that they will allow me to do a video presentation of their experiences and their techniques.

Hello Michael,

You have created a platform to reach wider audiences through your youtube channel and it’s been successful. The topic of pain management has been escaping you for far too long. Are there legal constraints that you can’t discuss in detail partnerships with physicians you work with and how you handle pain management for your clients?
A comprehensive video on the subject will change mindsets in the profession, especially if you can have medical authorities discuss safety of pain management methods you advocate for.

I do plan “something.” Overall, I’m a big promoter of allied arts working together. At the moment, there is such a gigantic opportunity out there for electrologists … I don’t know how it’s being missed. I talked about this (at length) at the seminar a few months ago in the Los Angeles area.

The problem I find with all seminars, is that the information evaporates. But you’re right Fenix … the internet and Youtube will give everybody an opportunity to speak. I have my new website on-line now (not finished yet) … but, this will be a place for people to express themselves in video or writing and have others respond. This will be more like an on-line magazine … and you can comment on it without registering right now. Two people are now writing articles. I wish that we could have heard from people like Harvey and others, who were shunned by the profession. Let’s see what happens. The name of the website is the same as my Youtube channel.

1 Like

So the recommendation is to drink no caffeine, be very, very well hydrated, use numbing cream, and take a Tylenol before a session. I do that and it’s okay for me. I forgot my pain killer and drank caffeine on my session today and I totally paid for it–even with my numbing cream. I use Uber Numb. Not sure if that helps.

I never post…but had to respind to this! Someone recommended Mithra to me and it is THE BEST numbing cream I’ve used and I’ve used several. Iuse it for full brazilian (for over a year now) and underarms. Also, use the Glad Press and Seal instead of regular suran wrap. I order mine from the site below because I heard some sell fake versions of it. I put it on 1 hour to 1.5 hours before my appointment. 1 5 hours seems to work best. I do 2 hour appointments and it’s numb the entire time. If I let it sit long enough, I barely feel anything. Also, I take 800 MG of motrin prior to my appointment…I got that by prescription.

1 Like

I’m always a skeptical when all the reviews are (except one) 5-stars. Still, I ordered some to try it out … THANKS. Remember that these anesthetic creams are not totally harmless.

There is no control as to the amount absorbed by the skin, and the blood stream. Using large amounts of such products can have deleterious side-effects. I’m imagining somebody spreading this all over their legs for laser treatments. … Such use can lead to serious medical problems.

Just be careful with this, and any medication. Just because something is not injected, does not mean it’s harmless! Example: you don’t have to inject poison oak, or poison from an Amazon frog. If a topical product works, it’s being absorbed into your blood stream and entire body.

1 Like

Here in Canada any product more than 5% lidocaine is by prescription only and usually has to be fulfilled by a compounding pharmacist.

It’s also not as simple as you suggest Michael to co-locate with a surgeon. Electrolysis doesnt fall under medical treatment for the purposes of OHIP billing , and in addition, billing directly to the patient is strictly forbidden and heavily controlled. So there is no way for a doctor or surgeon to bill for the local anesthetic. It’s also under the jurisdiction of the college of surgeons and would be considered an ethics violation to do so.
Aside from that, I personally cant go to a model where I work outside my home again. I have an autistic and also severely epileptic child and have to provide child care every hour he is home and I am working outside the home. Usually these childcare costs far out weigh what I would earn in that period.

That said, I have a client whose dentist is nearby and who has agreed to do upper lip injections for her. I’m having her check in with him and see if this is something they may be abl to provide as a service to other of my clientele.

1 Like

Well, if you say so, then it is irrefutably true. Sure.

Agree. I was skeptical as well. I was in an electrolysis group on Facebook where an electrologist recommended it some time ago. I absolutely love it… been using it quite a while. For the first 6 months I did brazilian without any numbing cream at all. Then I started trying different ones. This one has prilocaine, epinephrine, and lidocaine. It may be the combination because I tried another cream w 10% lidocaine and it didn’t work as well, but it was OK.

I agree with using caution with any medication. I’ve heard a couple of stories of women in the US dying using topical creams, granted they practically put it all over their body…using extreme amounts.

1 Like