Electrolysis helppppppo

Hey
I’m hoping for some advice on what to do
I’m currently using an extremely expensive electro who isn’t Biae registered but works in a reputable clinic
I’ve been seeing her for the last 5/6 weeks for 30 min sessions increased to 1.5 hours last week I was using vaniqa due to a sudden increase to hair growth in December although the hair is not coarse and thick it presents as like very long pigmented vallus hair and is in a beard pattern all over in December I bleached it but didn’t remove it it literally came up overnight I’ve seen Gynae who have ruled out any hormone imbalances
Although potentially at the time the hair came I could. Have had a fluctuation it has resolved
My gp prescribed vaniqa I started using it in January by the end of feb I had a good 70% hair reduction the hairs were literally falling out when I pulled at them I by no means removed the hair myself it had stopped growing completely The previously bleached hair was still blonde with no signs of new growth
In April I seeked an electro who I immediately felt in good hands with she explaind everything in full detail and booked me in my skin has been amazing with little redness and I tolerated the pain very well but she is using therm on me as she said it’s the best option ideally I need a full clearance I stopped using vaniqa when I started treatment and now 6 weeks later the hair that fell out is growing in extremely fast and double the length I really need some advice If anyone can Recommend an electro in London who is good reasonable in price and works long hours to clear as quickly as possible I’d be very grateful it’s really killing my self esteem :weary:

I am not certain on this, but I dont believe that the UK allows unlicensed electrologists. If this is the case, I dont recommend you continue treatments with them. The BIAE has alisting of professionals on their site who are registered with them, and that would be a good starting point.

Being part of the BIAE is a voluntary membership. But you are right every electrologist in the UK has to be licensed by their local authority and would have to show proof of training and premises are usually inspected every 2 years or so.
For instance my certification is from a college HND course 1991 and previously I was a member of the BIAE.
Kirstie have a search on here for London electrologists I’m sure a few come highly recommended.

Destroyed follicles stay dead! Theydont ever come back. Follicles not successfully destroyed will grow another hair when they are ready to. It’s unlikely a hair follicle that was not successfully destroyed will take 4-6 years to generate another hair. It’s more likely to be a few months later.

@Iluv2zap based on your experience how many zaps does it take for a follicle to die? I have read somewhere that only 20% of the hair is actually killed during the electrolysis session. do you find that to be true?

It can be anywhere between one zap and several, depending on the skill of the electrologist.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I’m finding it difficult to determine if its skillset or just me. I’m trying to read about peoples experiences to determine when is the point of needing to find a new person.

You can read this:

1 Like

Well, that certainly is some formula!

How in the world does anyone know that only 20% of the hair treated is actually killed during an electrolysis session? How can this be measured accurately? This is as silly as asking if electrolysis causes cancer.

Hi Dee. I think that after a while, we see that customer questions are almost always the same. I wonder why these concerns cannot be addressed easily by the practitioner … not by “people at a distance.” Here’s an example. I get at least 5 - 10 emails every weeks from worried clients … worried about post-treatment and the fear of scar formation. I received this email this morning; and of course, I will address the concerns (the old angiogenesis thing) … however, WHY can’t clients find these answers? There must be thousands of posts like this on Hairtell … why can’t (or won’t ) people find the answers?

“I would like to have your opinion. I’ve done 3 treatments with thermolysis on my upperlip, mostly the sides of my lip. About 50 minutes in total. Last time was about a month ago and I’m still very red and also the red marks are still there. I can’t understand why the redness is still there after so long, I don’t remember having red marks so long after the treatment. I didn’t have any scabbing, only redness and marks. Will this turn into scars? I’m a bit worried.”

We are back to the initial consultation. I’m pretty sure there are many electrologists that barely give a thorough consultation to educate the client. I always educate the client upfront and the frustrating thing for me is I still have the client ask these same questions. I think I need to play your videos over and over again on the healing skin, as I work on them. Maybe it will sink in sooner or later.

Some people really do have legitimate concerns and that’s where hairtell can be of great reassurance. They are very good! Be glad that so many people value your opinion. It’s not easy answering the same concerns over and over again, but it’s all new to them and they are scared of being scarred.

Oh yes, the consultation!

In my upcoming “Zoom thing” with COPE (Canada), I will be talking about “the consultation.” And, it will probably not be what people are expecting. (I learned the hard way … and will divulge a funny story.)

The key point is that for every bit of information you state; more questions will evolve in the patient’s mind … and, usually not expressed at the time of the consultation … probably because the electrologist is talking non-stop.

Too much information usually works against you by raising unanswered questions. For me, the key is to LISTEN … and keep the consultation brief. New clients cannot absorb much information.

The big “killers” are these:

“I use the ‘whatever method and machine’ and find it’s the best.” So, you have now raised the question that perhaps YOUR method is NOT the best. Why even go there? Would, for example, a dentist tell you what trade-name equipment he’s using? Would his saying “I only use Kerr products” give you more or less confidence? Did you even know there were different dental products? Why would you care?

Going into great detail on side-effects? This is not really necessary; again, raising concerns that the patient will probably never encounter.

I also have to laugh a little when I see videos that insist that “we don’t use NEEDLES” … but, we only use “filaments” or “probes.” Hummm, if you’re afraid to use the word “needle” what are you telling the client who can see YOU ARE using a needle? Maybe it’s really painful and the needle is doing something bad? (Hinkel had a hysterical story about this … but, it’s naughty so a “no go”).

Anyway, I don’t want to bore people with my whole “Spiel” so, I’ll drop it. Bottom line: keep it short … and, mostly listen … communicate to the client that you will be able to take care of any problems they might encounter. Overall, the more you talk the less confident you appear.

I agree with much of what you say, Mike, but I find that briefness works against me for the initial consultation. I think I make the initial contact entertaining and helpful, but I know that most are too nervous to absorb everything. So, in the first four months, I always re-teach / remind the client about the bullet points that I emphasized in the initial consultation when they are a captive client on my treatment table. Usually around that 3-4 month electrolysis timeline they will then verbalize, “Dee Dee, I get it” and I know then that they truly understand what is expected.

If I don’t repeat the bullet points pertaining to the timeline, no tweezing, staying on schedule, skin reaction and aftercare, I can expect apprehension and loss of hope to set in and that’s when the headaches for me begin.

So talk more up front, then relax until completion. To be sure, I don’t get too talkative as I refresh them with those bullet points or I will lose their attention - just short phrases to the point. I find this works best for me and saves me a lot of time as we approach the middle of the electrolysis timeline on our way to completion. Talk plainly, honestly and repeat until they verbalize that they understand. It really doesn’t take that long or open a can of worms for most clients.

There are some difficult concepts for people to understand when it comes to electrolysis, but well timed reinforcement equals cooperation.

2 Likes

@Deedra I dont know.
My understanding of that 20% data point, was that it depends on the growth cycle and since each hair maybe at a different cycle you are really only killing a certain percentage of them. Additional consideration is the skillset of the electrologist. If someone came up with the formula, somewhere someone is coming up with a percentage :slight_smile:
I’m not a electrologist, I’m receiving treatment so I’m consuming the information and just asking folks that have experience to hear different perspectives.

I agree Dee Dee … I suppose the key here is “briefness” vs. too much information in a short time? However, as you say, ONCE is never enough … the consultation is on-going.

@Deedra from your posts it seems that you have a lot of experience.

Again, I’m a person receiving treatment and from my experience the Consultations that occurs before you start the sessions and are just generic stuff are of “no value” since the electrologist doesn’t fully know my skin/hair until they start working on it. [I had two electrologist and both have been surprised by my hair. ]

I’ve read a lot about electrolysis so I came in fully prepared to my sessions on what to expect and I knew about the hair growth, healing, diff types of electrolysis etc.

What I think is valuable is to consult as you go and provide input specific to client… like what you are doing. for example: I see your hair is XZY and your growth pattern is such that we could adjust your schedule or the heat or perhaps its not responding and maybe we can do a different method like blend…

Since this is a very subjective thing… both hair growth and skill set… In my experience I’m finding that the questions I ask are taken personally and it becomes a “blame” game.