Electrology career for males?

Hi everyone

I’m a guy in my 20s and been a long time lurker here. I became very interested in permanent hair removal after personal experiences with unwanted body hair, and underwent laser and then electrolysis. After seeing the rare but amazing possibilities with electrolysis on this forum, I seriously thought about career in electrolysis. You all understand how something like having unwanted hair can debilitate a person in social and personal lives. And changing that for people is great satisfaction.

Since I’m in NYC, I went to the (only?) electrolysis school in Queens for consult. The owner was nice and honest about career prospects for males in this profession. He basically talked me out into investing time and money for the program because he said I would have a very, very, very difficult time starting a career or even being employed by established electrolysis or skin care spas because this industry does not want males. Since majority of clients seeking hair removal are females, they do not feel comfortable with males treating them. His advice was confirmed with my experiences where all of the laser technicians and electrologists were females. He said the few males that became successful in this industry all started many decades ago when the market/industry was different. It’s much harder for males to start in this industry today. (I don’t know why there is such an irrational discomfort against males in hair removal profession, when women go to male OBGYNs or male plastic surgeons to get breast implants and all other procedures.) But I did not come to rant, but seek a second opinion from professionals on this forum.

My interest in electrolysis isn’t some short phase, but I have been thinking about it for a while now. So should I just forget about it or is there a prospect for a guy like me in this industry? If finances were not an issue for me, I would not hesitate to gamble on training even if I know I’d fail attracting customers (because for me the electrolysis science and application itself is very interesting.) But in my situation I can not afford to gamble or invest into an education that is guaranteed to fail in returns.

I would love to hear what advice or opinions you will give me, especially from the two male electroligsts on here. :slight_smile:

Well, this answer does not come from one of the two electrologists men here, but from the mother of a (hopefully) great electrologist in the making, my son.

Next week he begins a course of social health. But in his free time getting instruction from me. He has begun work on the back of one of our male clients, and really, he has managed to retain this customer. This customer does not want any of us (4 women) now. I think there are a lot of guys out there who want to eliminate their hair, and if they do not care who gets it is a man or a woman.

PS: I like your nick, I have always used the Phoenix to refer the Electrology. I am not mistaken, like the mythical bird the Electrolysis is becoming with more force than ever.

By the way, there are more males electrologists, here. As far as I remember, Follizap, YB, …

If you have the passion, then I say go for it!!!

One of my favorite colleagues was a guy who practiced in Kansas. He was a dear, dear man, whose clients loved him!!! (Ray C. Barr, Garden City) He was in his late 50s/early 60s when he joined the profession. He had been a farmer, and an EMT before joining us. If a man can have a successful electrology practice in the Midwest - then you should do just fine in New York!!!

Seeing as most women clients want treatment of their eyebrows, cheeks, armpits, and other externally visible areas, your position as a male electrologist should not be any problem. When wanting hairs on their breasts and areaolas treated, it might be. But your status as a trained professional should override any client’s concerns, regardless of their sex and/or gender.

Funny topic for me, to say the least.

I decided on a career in electrology as most other people do: successful treatments on my back. I decided on Hinkel’s school in Los Angeles. I was interviewed by Hinkel himself and was ready to get going. Problem is, Hinkel refused to allow me to enroll! I was “kicked out” before I started.

He told Claire Lofgren (his main teacher) to dismiss me. I was in shock, but Claire told me that my educational background would make school attendance difficult (I was “over-educated”): I would be a nuisance. Hinkel said I had no future in the profession and was wasting my time and his.

Claire went to battle for me. She had to promise Hinkel that she could “control me,” and she made me promise not to challenge him or any part of the program. I agreed. I got in trouble a few times and Claire had to give me a “talking to” like only a true Southern Lady could muster. I truly adore Claire, but have lost track of her. She would start her reprimands by saying: “Michael, come into my office, I have to ‘clean your plow’!”

So, there it is: another male that would be completely unsuccessful in the electrology profession. Yummmm, don’t believe it! I’m a fellow New Yorker, by birth, and don’t let “nobody tell you nothin!” ha ha ha

And Hinkel? Well, our friendship became legendary. I won over the grumpy old fart! I loved him; I still miss him.

Oh, by the way, since I’m the resident curmudgeon, just one tiny issue that always bugs me. See, the terms “male” or “female” are adjectives. You can’t be a “male.” Well, you can be a male human. But if you say just “male” you could be a duck?

It’s sort of funny that we have a hard time saying “man.” I haven’t a clue as to why that is, but there is some hesitation (not when people say they are a woman). Could it be “politically incorrect?” Has “man” become a dirty word? Irrational minds want to know. (You can see the problems I gave to poor “Miss Claire.” Time to get my plow cleaned?)

I’d say go for it. From a client’s perspective, I’m not going to lie, you may find it more difficult to get female (sorry, Michael) clients. However, if the male electrologist is known to be skilled and provides excellent treatment and results, I think that would win. I think it depends how you market yourself and your work. To me, it’s not a beauty treatment, it’s a medical treatment - I’d go to a male doctor, so why not electrologist?

Additionally, I think men are increasingly become interested in permanent hair removal. When I started having electrolysis in 2008, the website of the salon I was going to just had a standard ‘hair removal’ section. Now they have a dedicated page for men and male treatments - waxing, facials and electrolysis etc. So whereas before a male browser would have been unsure if he would be received well, now he can see without even calling the salon that male clients are welcome and catered for.

Myself and my sister are having treatment and have not hid it from the rest of our family. Two of my four brothers are interested in treatment now as well. One would like his back treated and the section of his beard that is growing on his cheeks/cheekbones. The other is still young (16) but is starting to grow a unibrow that he’d like to get rid of before it fully develops and then maintain it later in life. My husband is also on board about having some work done so that he doesn’t have to keep trimming the hairs that grow on the upper parts of his cheeks, plus removing the shoulder hair he is now developing.

I think the biggest hurdle is for all electrologist’s alike - to get people to realise that it is the only method that really guarantees permanent results, no matter the kind of hair structure. I think electrolysis is coming back ‘in fashion’ and then you will have no problem finding clients.

hi fenix,

If you are determined, pursue it.
The few young males I have met who entered the field told me that they
had to add other services to their menu; tanning being the most common.
Once your tanning clients feel safe and comfortable with you, they might come in for electrolysis.

YOU WRITE:
“(I don’t know why there is such an irrational discomfort against males in hair removal profession, when women go to male OBGYNs or male plastic surgeons to get breast implants and all other procedures.) But I did not come to rant, but seek a second opinion from professionals on this forum.”

The discomfort that we as women feel is not irrational; we need to feel safe.

Electrology clients require repeated visits and lots of hands on work.
Women visit their gyno’s once a year. Women have experienced awkward moments with male physicians which is why a female assistant is almost always in the treatment room.

If you want to enter the field, my advice is: behave professionally, do not judge women for their feelings and carry a good business insurance policy.

I am happy to mentor future electrologists so feel free to ask professional questions.

“The discomfort is not irrational and if you want to work with women I suggest that you start looking at their concerns and worries rather than refer to their feelings as, “irrational”.”

Arlene, I don’t think the OP was saying “women are irrational,” but his was a general comment. I have gotten “irrational” reactions from “being in a woman’s profession” from fellow men. A few of my “jock” buddies (from my lifeguard days) were in shock at my job choice and one said, “Bono, I don’t want to see you in a dress … is that what this is about?”

There is also an assumption (irrational) that guys in any beauty/cosmetic industry are gay. Yeah, that thought is always there. (True there may be more gay men in the beauty profession … possibly?) Usually when people ask me that, I kiss them gently on the cheek … followed by a punch to the stomach.

I took a connector flight from L.A. to Santa Barbara a few weeks ago. Both pilots were women. The guy sitting next to me said, “Great, two lesbians piloting this thing … “ Again, LOTS of irrational, prejudicial thoughts are still abundant. I said to the guy, “Well, you can’t assume the women are lesbians. Still, I hope so!” (Just trying to sake up the silly irrational guy.)

Michael,

Your stories and semantics can be very charming.
But not to minimize women’s worries, for the most part,
most are still generally uncomfortable with male electrologists.
Seems like Barry tried to impart that information.

Paraphrased the following from:

“The discomfort is not irrational and if you want to work with women I suggest that you start looking at their concerns and worries rather than refer to their feelings as, “irrational”.”

TO

“The discomfort that we as women feel is not irrational; we need to feel safe.”

Better, I hope.

In any event, Fenix, if you are professional, many of us will take you under our wings and mentor and guide you as male electrologists are very much needed in the profession.

I agree with the above poster that the biggest hurdle an electrologist starting out faces is the competition from laser services.
An effective pitch that convinces people that laser isn’t the be-all and end-all of hair removal is what i’m working on while i design my website and advertisements.

That being said, having started out on the client side of things, I would never have let a man work on me. But I also don’t see male doctors for ob/gyn stuff either.

Someone above mentioned a male electrologist who had a great personality and that’s probably the key. Many women might be wary but you can win many ofthem over with your charming disposition (if you have one, if not, better work on it! :D) and professional conduct.

Like the others, I think you should go for it because if you’re good at what you do you’ll find your niche market.

Good luck!

So RIGHT (Arlene and “Pink”)!

Over the years, I have found that men and women are different in what is paramount to them. Women want “to feel safe” and want to trust you. Once that is established they don’t even mind the “endless” treatments. I have never had a woman question me on the process or ask questions such as “just how long IS this going to take.” Once they trust you … they trust you!

Men, by stark contrast, are “goal setters.” They want to control the process and are worried that you might not have the most ultimate equipment (yeah, I lost many guys to laser ONLY because it was “new”). The typical guy will want to know exactly how long and at what date the job will be done. Most men are “micro-managers.” Usually they will say something like this: “Okay, I can come up for three days and I assume you can complete my entire back in that time?”

Good “freakin” luck! Still, I enjoy both my male and female clients. It’s just that these patients come from “different places.” You know, Mars and Venus? I’m a caregiver by nature and avuncular at heart. My patients are my “kids,” I’m always looking out for them. (Nearly all of us are the same … mommies at heart.) Patients that have been finished for years still visit me. God, I love this profession.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Sorry Arlene I didn’t mean to offend women. The “safety” or “trust” issue didn’t cross my mind because I just don’t think in that way. And of course my intent is being professional and serious about helping people.

I strongly believe that my only chance at possibly making it in this career is if I learn the trade to be an absolute above average electrologist. As I’ve mentioned originally, I have been a lurker here for a while and I did notice Josefa’s posts, and especially Josefa’s photographic documentation of her work that always left me with a jaw-drop. That level of skill is to be desired but I figure that level of skill is not taught in schools, but developed with decades of personal experience.

My two big concerns are the education/training and the business aspect at starting out. Is the Berkowitz school in Queens considered good? Are the instructors there to be raved about? Will I leave with up-to date knowledge on electrolysis and with solid hands on skill? I feel like even with training there, I’ll still come out as a “blind electrologist.”

And my other fear is the business end. (I should have studied business in college.) How does one start out without going bankrupt if things don’t workout?

From my understanding:
I think your best best in NY is gonna end up being Berkowits.
If you want the best school in this part of the country, I would say its the New England School in MA.
If you want the best school in the country, I think that might be in California at the Aesthetics Institute
and if you want
the best school in North American, it would probably be the Dectro Institute in Canada.

As far as the business aspect goes, when you are ready, hire an accountant to help you establish your business and set up your ledgers in Quick Books or some other business software.

It will all come together.

Did you mean http://www.aielectrology.com/, Arlene?

Since electrolysis is regulated by state, think about what state you want to practice in.
Regarding CA, I was referring to: http://www.aestheticssystems.com/training.htm
but I think that your link and the link I noted above work together.
I go back to my full time work schedule tomorrow so I will become scarce once again so get your ideas together and do your research and come up with a plan. When the other electrologists here have more time, they will chime in and give you suggestions as requested. They are a lovely group of professionals.

Fenix, it is likely that any of those schools will provide you a much more complete training that I received 30 years ago. I remember that someone put an needle holder in my hand and told me: “you insert the needle, press the pedal, accounts up to 6 in your mind, and removing hair”. Those were all the explanations I received. Miraculously, the face of that first client didn’t end like a gruyere cheese.

Don’t worry too much if women are reluctant at the beginning, you have an enormous potential with the boys. You will discover that “he” is willing to collaborate in everything to make the job easier. I’m in love with “my” boys, I can not help.

The advantage of being a “blind electrologist” is that your mind is not conditioned by the eyes of others. Put in quarantine everything you read, hear, and learn, until you’ve seen for yourself.

Fenix,

What a great thread you created. I’m sitting here reading and thinking that before I retire, I am going to replace myself, with a young man or two. I am very excited to see young men going into the nursing profession and young women choosing to become doctors. Electrolysis lags behind on the man front, but some encouragement and steady mentoring from seasoned electrologists should solve that problem.

Unfortunately, it is still the way in some countries….