Electrology career for males?

I’d like to get a sense of how different the training will be compared going to Berkowits school. So for those that are familiar with these mentioned schools, what will be different? The main differences I see is the total theory and practical hours. The standard course for NY at Berkowits is only 120 (90 of them practice) while the AIE course has 600 for CA license and 350 hour (160 of it practice) for non license . Both schools train on Dectro Apilus machines. Is theory knowledge different between schools?

Berkowits has the 120, 320 and 600 course.
If you want an idea of what school has the best education, see if anyone at the American Electrology Association can tell you which school has the most graduates who pass the CPE exam on their first try. That might give you a clue as to where you get the best education.

Schools do not provide you with a license to practice.
You get certification from a school and a license from those states that require it. Do you know in which state you plan to practice?

I would eventually want to work in NYC. I understand about licensing differences. I’ll look into contacting AEA about schools. I’d want to finish a program where instructors will teach up to date theories, good techniques etc… Electrolysis is a hands on trade where reading good text books is simply not enough and good hands on instruction is key?

The key is that you really like this profession.

Since I read the words of Mr. Bill Schuler, owner of A.R. Hinkel & R.A. Fischer Companies, about the future of the profession, saying that there are 2 schools in California as opposed to 7 that existed 20 years ago, I felt very sorry. If many young people like you, Fenix, realize the need for electrologists worldwide, the number of schools have not decreased, but would double.

Miracles do happen, Mr. Schuler, just a matter of provoke them.

A Dectro school would meet your desires and expectations. Hands on and mentoring is truly helpful for real world electrology.

Reviving an old thread, but yeah, I’m a guy, too, and seriously interested in pursuing a career as an Electrolysis. There’s a plethora of schools in Miami, but I’m having difficulty finding the right fit. Are cosmetology schools always the favorite?

A global reading of Hairtell reveals intrinsic “truths” about the hair removal profession.

When people are talking about laser (LHR), the conversation centers on the machine in use and the settings. When people talk about electrolysis, there is less meaningful discussion about machines and settings. Instead, we talk about the actual hands-on technique the practitioner is employing.

And, that’s the key to this whole matter.

Electrolysis has a funny way of re-inventing itself every now-and-then. I remember when DC-multiple needle (at the time an ancient defunct method) was re-invented and was the latest, hottest most modern technique … that was going to eclipse everything. Each modality has had its moment in the sun. But none of these modalities eclipsed anything … why?

Simply because modality and “modernity” is a stupid notion in the face of the practitioner’s skill. I know of an electrologist in San Francisco that uses single-needle DC (the oldest technique … I don’t do it) and gets superior results! Frankly, she’s “beating the hell” out of a neighboring colleague that’s using the conscripted ultra-modern Star-Wars unit.

For example: my preference is a Yamaha piano. Most people (that play the classics) prefer Steinway (and it certainly has THE reputation.) But the music produced from your piano has everything to do with the person playing the piano … not the piano itself. Besides, the “digital” pianos have still not eclipsed the “real deal.” I have yet to go to the symphony where the pianist is playing an electronic piano. Sure, I can play electronic pianos … but, overall, I still think they’re crap!

I like Mike Roy’s statement and agree with him.

So, to answer your question here’s my suggestion. Beginners always feel they need every “bell and whistle” imaginable (a predictable function of insecurity) … seasoned operators know better because they know exactly what they want the machine to do.

Attend a school, if you must. (If you don’t have to … don’t! Most school are devices to SELL machines! Nearly all schools withhold information, so they can sell you their profit-generating machine!) If you do attend, the school should be the starting-point of your career.

Get out there! Take the time and spend some money to visit prominent electrologists and have a LOOK at what they’re doing. (I would go visiting first, actually.) You cannot make your decision by reading Hairtell or any other on-line “travesty.”

Eventually, some enterprising (fed-up) person is going to put the entire electrology course on-line for FREE (Youtube), and showcase EVERY modality, every technique and every machine that’s in use today. AEA should do this … and, they are “thinking about” it. Will this actually transpire? Indeed, the subject will “come up” in committee.

This is supposed to be the “information age” … and, I’m ALL FOR IT! And, information has to be free for everybody … that’s the deal!