Different techniques and styles in Electrology.

I would like to gather in this thread all known techniques (and not so well known) developed through history of Electrology.

Some were called by an acronym, others however have not even had this category (as far I know).

If you know of any new technique or have more information about which are mentioned or will be mentioned, please, feel free to share your knowledges.

1. S.I.M.P.L.E technique (Sequential Inverted Micro-Pulsed Led Energy), developed by Suzanne Anderer, CPE and owner of Illinois School of Electrology.

This technique is used with a very fast timing setting, measured in thousands of a second combined with a very high intensity setting. The micro-pulse setting is initiated as the insertion is made so that the entire length of the follicle, from the bulge to the hair papilla, is treated sequentially.

1. P.E.R.T technique (Post-Epilation Reentry Technique) or Double Dipping.

This technique gives the electrologist a big advantage when working in deep anagen hairs, because it gives the practitioner a chance to adjust any insertion error.

The steps are as follows:

a) Insert the probe into the follicle.
b) Current is applied.
c) Probe is removed.
d) Remove the hair.
e) Probe is re-inserted into the empty follicle.
f) A second dose of current is applied.
g) The probe is removed from the follicle.

P.E.R.T should be used if:

An easy release cannot be accomplished without over-treatment, or if the original insertion is slightly off target. In both cases the needle is re-inserted easily into the naked, vulnerable, follicle which now has no hair blocking the destructive current.

(Info found in the net)

1 Like

Double insertions: Used for large diameter hairs, the needle is inserted on one side and then the other side of the hair. (Current application with both insertions.)

(this might have another name?)

Thank you very much for your participation, Barbara.
I had never heard of this technique (side by side), so I do not know if there is an official name, if not, we will take as valid which you have given (Double insertions)
There is another technique: it consists in giving a circular movement to the needle when you apply the current (the needle around the root of the hair). I do not know if it has a name, but I always thought it was interesting because it is a way of confirming that we have a good insertion.

Months…maybe years ago…I’d asked for electrologists to list their techniques in a thread here, thinking it would benefit us all…no takers…I’m hoping there will be many takers, now.

Stirring. That’s the name I’ve heard people use with this last technique you mentioned. There will be some who will want to argue the effectiveness and safety of that one.

Pulsing…AKA Double Tapping… Before SIMPLE was defined as it is, many of us used variations of this. Inserting then applying more than one application of the current via footswitch. This could be done at full depth of insertion, upon entering the follicle or with withdrawal of the needle.

I would imagine that some of the techniques are developed with the use of the various epilators.

Do not worry Barbara, whatever the technique, if it already exists, we will describe it, and if not, we will invent it. Yes, my dear, reinventing ourselves. You and me alone or with others, the most important is conveying our baggage to the new generations of electrologists.

In my opinion, one of the reasons that prevent our colleagues talk about their own methods is fear. Many of them will think it is fear of competitors, no, I don´t think it, is another kind of fear, fear of being analyzed, criticized, ridiculed, attacked and finally censored and condemned.
One thing I have learned through my private messages with one of the great masters is not to reject any technique if it really works and allows permanent hair removal. “Up and Down”, “down and up” “up, down, and up again,” “Double insertion (side to side)”, “Stirring (going around)”, “two hands”, “a hand” “fingers” what’s wrong? if the professional is one who chooses the system which will work and clients are the ones who end deciding if he or she deserves to stay in business.

I know what you mean about fear of criticism.
When people see how some react to anything I say, they want to run and hide.
“I could say be sure to turn your machine on”, and I know someone who would write pages of ridicule about the uneducated idiocy of my working with the machine turned on. :wink:

Being a collector of electrology “stuff” I have a cartoon that covers that!!!

I’ve heard of electrologists telling their co-workers not to attend things (meetings, conventions, educational events) because, “They just want to steal your trade secrets.”

InMyHumbleOpinion: If we give our trade-secrets away, then the whole profession will benefit, as will I.

What about the Gior Technique (I think that is what it is called, James might know?)

This uses standard thermolysis, at a slightly lower setting than one would normally use for the given hair. One insertion following the obvious path of the hair, going to full anagen depth, another insertion a few degrees off of the first insertion to catagen depth, and then another insertion off a few degrees from the first insertion in the other direction, doing a telogen depth insertion. The idea being to overlap energy such that all structures we want to destroy regardless of actual placement are hit at least one if not overlapped twice or three times, not allowing any of the structures to escape untreated.

Similar to tapping a pulse at different depths in the follicle?

I did not know what it was “Gior technique”, thanks for your contribution Vickie. Before discovering the Blend, I worked only with thermolysis slow, and to accelerate the process I began to give movement to the needle.
In one of my works for the firm Sorisa, they asked me an accurate and detailed description of the technique (should still be between my notes, if anyone is interested in reading it). I got an official name for this technique (of course I did not know that this applied in the USA, years ago) so I called it “active or passive in the current application”. Being passive is to wait until the current reach the surface by itself. Being active allows that current reach the goal faster.

I’m learning more with this thread I could do in years of practice. Thank you all.

Well James, it is clear that there are brains that remain in a constant state “off” (those who waste their time with page of ridicule ) :wink: . Seeking views and experiences is what enriches and makes advance any profession. I’ve been here long enough to know that you are of those who make WAY.
One of our greatest poet, Antonio Machado, said,

" Walker, no road, it is made by walking.
Blow by blow, verse by verse.
Walker your footsteps are the road.
"

Sorry, folks, I just returned from the land of pilgrims, “The way of St. James” and I am fascinated with the place.

Are you talking about the Pope?

No, since it is three separate insertions, at three different depths at three different angles. Geometrically, one can think of it as a three sided pyramid with the follicle in the middle, with one end point at the deepest point, another middle way and the third the shortest.

No Dee, I’m talking about the road to Santiago de Compostela, a city in northwestern of Spain. Legend has it that St. James’s body was found in the Galician coast covered with scallop shells (a symbol of the traveler) and his remains now lie within the walls of the Cathedral of Santiago. Thousands of people cross the road on foot each year (800 kms). What began as a way of penance, has now become a true symbol of Contemplating and personal improvement.
The camino, “The Way”, by its nature, serves as the ultimate metaphor for life. Footsteps along a well-trodden path may be our guide. Our humanity toward ourselves and others, our history and our future is what defines us. Take the journey of live, Buen Camino!

I have all of the machines and probes to do every modality and technique and have found that about 1 in 200 people are better off with blend. I will be happy to engage in a private discussion with my open-minded colleagues about that small number of clients who are better off, in my hands, with blend. Maybe we can trouble-shoot together. I would love to do this however it is a little stressful when so few electrologists are versatile enough to engage in this sort of hands-on practical with discussion.

I would love participate in more hands-on seminars offered by our leading experts and manufacturers and more than happy to pay for enrollment in these programs even if CEU’s are not approved.

I hope that you all will have a non-private discussion about blend - those of us who don’t use blend would love to learn more.

The only way we would get that sort of class is if we are willing to pay without the carrot of CEU’s. The people who might be best suited to discuss such things are often unable, or unwilling to grease the wheels to get CEU’s approved.

Your way, MR. Grove

Description of the ULTRALYSIS Technique by HARVEY GROVE

“Suppose you treat an area like a leg. You have perfect settings and kill a hair on each insertion. If everything has gone right there is no resistance when you release a hair. However, you know some of these hairs are in anagen but not all. Suppose, instead of releasing each hair one by one, you just wipe the area with the grain using a terry cloth and the treated hairs will slide out with the friction of the towel. Treat a few and wipe all. Treat a few and wipe. You will not have to release one at a time. Just wipe the area with the grain and get a bunch of them. When you treat a hair and it is in telogen and it will not release you go on to the next hair. Leave all treated hairs alone they will fall out in a few days or get rubbed off when the patient takes a shower just as they do when they are lasered. Patients will not complain about the pain of tweezing a telogen hair. How is that? I call it ULTRALYSIS. Anyone who wants to use the name can. It is in the public domain. I trade marked it many years ago and did not renew it. Now anybody can use it. It saves the time of releasing them singly. You can treat any amount you want. I have done twenty at one time and had no problem. Do not make little circles or you may have circular bald spots. It all depends on how far apart the treated hairs are. It works great on large areas like a back or legs.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0FgFcwZhqg

Sorry, I upload the video “Ultralysis technique” again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=podAh_8KutA

It crossed my mind today that this would be a “technique” that comes with experience. Kelly M-S asked me about it in Atlanta, and as I was “practicing” it today, I realized that while it came to me (and probably you, too) early on, I’ve never found it written about or named.

While working beard areas, getting down to less dense hair, and focusing on the larger diameter hairs, we see what appears to be finer hairs sticking out of the skin. They have little or no pigment and if the client saw them they would not be concerned…but…they are the tip of the next round of coarse hairs they can and should be treated. This results in less hair next time! Once extracted, we recognize this as the coarse hair that it is. Once in awhile, we remove this hair to find that it IS a vellus hair, with little or no substance to its root.

Guess we need to give it a name.