Change in body odor?

Enough Dee! - contribute to the discussion or stop. Period. And yes, that was sarcasm. Perhaps, you should take some of your own advice.

That’s interesting that you’d mention that… I wouldn’t recommend botox either, as it doesn’t traditionally affect the apocrine sweat glands. I’ve heard some stories about it helping with body odor (or changing it), but usually that it not the case… I should know as I have had it 3 times and I’ve seen several bromhidrosis sufferers encounter the same fruitless results.

There is nothing more for me to contribute on this thread about - body odor. One of the administrators will have to decide what to do with you.

That’s odd. I’m sure people studying the potential side effects of laser hair removal would disagree.

I would as well as the original poster. How’s sincerely contributing working out for you, Dee?

You should leave this thread, as you are only here to argue, as well as on every thread in which I post - STOP.

I’m certainly not an expert on this topic. I’m a person who has had laser hair removal and electrolysis and have been following a couple of forums over the past few years.

The subject of hair removal causing increased body odor is something new in these forums. This leads me to believe, of all of the hundreds or thousands of people who have had hair removal over the many years, that hair removal is probably not the cause. If so, I would think this subject would have been an issue years ago.

Also, LAGirl has been around for a very long time and appears to have devoted a lot of time to the subject and, to me, is a passion of hers. She seems to be well versed on a variety of methods of hair removal and she is certainly not biased toward electrolysis or laser.

My personal opinion on the under arm body odor subject is I can’t believe removing hair causes an increase of odor. I can see how one might appear to sweat more because there is no hair to absorb the sweat. With this in mind, I think that less hair should correlate to less odor. Why? Because if there isn’t any hair to absorb the sweat, the sweat doesn’t get stale in the hair which would cause a bad odor. For the mosst part, sweat doesn’t have an odor (unless you’ve been drinking a lot of alchohol, eating garlic, or something).

I had about 3/4 of my under arm hair removed. I personally noticed my under arms don’t have the odor they used to have. In fact, I haven’t used deoderant for several years because it isn’t necessary – as long as a shower each day. My personal experience leads with less hair leads me to believe if you have less hair, there is less hair to absorb sweat which, if not cleaned, will become “stale” which causes the odor. It is like a shirt you are wearing, if your pits start to sweat, there isn’t any real odor at first. However, by the end of the day, the shirt is ready for the disposal if you don’t wash it.

I’m simply basing my information on what some others (here) have said, others have mentioned on other forums and the abstract of that study. I haven’t read it in its entirety, but it simply lists a possible side effect. I think it’s uncommon, which is why you rarely hear about it (or possibly spoken about less often?). There might be some correlation to having an increase in body odor and sweating that results (in part) from laser treatment, but I don’t believe laser necessarily caused it… I don’t know what did, but it seems some people are perhaps more prone to this side effect than others and those people seem to be rare.

I assumed LAgirl’s bias because she claims electrolysis and laser are the same and thus render similar results. I do know she’s been around for a while, but I’m not sure why she continues to say that. Plus, her journey appears to be more with laser than electrolysis. That was my part of my reasoning behind saying. However, I don’t think having a bias (or preference) towards laser is necessarily wrong, but that was what I assumed based on our conversations on this forum.

And yes, sweat is seemingly odor less, but some sweat is more prone to causing a more acute odor than others and it’s possible laser can exacerbate that sweat glands effect. I’m not sure, but I do not know of anyone having an increase in odor from electrolysis, but this possible, as well, I suppose.

This thread got disgusting and there was no need for it. BellaDoo keeps insulting people trying to help her.

As far as I can tell, BellaDoo has no experience with either laser or electrolysis, but is trying to argue with people who’ve both had treatments and performed treatments about how laser and electrolysis work. It’s laughable at this point.

I don’t “claim” laser and electrolysis kills hair in the same way. Experts that created those methods and use those methods do. Do you know how they work? How does each kill hair? I’d love to hear your explanation.

And as BRR mentioned, sweat doesn’t have an odor until it dries. I assume you have a condition where your sweat has an odor from what you said. If this is the case, do you know the reason behind the condition?

I’m still waiting to hear exactly HOW electrolysis prevents sweating or odor from it. All it does is removes the hair and disables the follicle with heat. This is exactly what laser does.

Are you being serious? LOL - I’m done. I will also inform an Admin, as you are truly vile. I don’t have the time to argue, so no, if you want the answers - look them up yourself.

I’m right.

I have had my underarms treated with an Nd:YAG laser. 6 treatments.

Followed up by electrolysis to remove the remaining hairs. The method of electrolysis has been thermolysis, so HEAT only, exactly the same process as Laser just a different method of producing the heat.

I have not noticed increased sweating or odour. Before LHR, I actually used Mitchum roll-on deodorant as I hated the sticky sweaty feeling and wet patches would take ages to dry. NOW I use a mild deodorant and if I sweat, my underarms dry very quickly. I find the odour of my underarms depends entirely on what I have been eating.

I’ve seen on some forums, there are people who get on and make comments for what the only purpose of stirring the pot. Or, negative attention is better than no attention. In these cases, it is obvious as there isn’t any kind of effort to understand other people.

I certainly do not do that, but yes, there are people that do.

Thanks for sharing your experience - it seems to be a common one. However, there are people that have had a negative effect for reasons that remain unknown. Women tend to shave - why hair removal would lead to an increase in odor and/or sweating is odd. But something that has obviously happened, as I do not believe they are lying, attention seeking or crazy. Just revealing something that happened to them, so that others would know. I am glad they did, as this has turned me off on desiring laser HR. I initially thought the use of the Nd: Yag would be like killing two birds in one stone, however, the hair removal technique is different.

As far as electrolysis via the thermolysis method, yes, it too uses only heat, but that is not the only method and the technique is different.

For some reason, electrolysis has a much better effect on bromhidrosis. You cannot claim the results are similar when there are varying techniques. Meaning, you cannot say, I have had mostly laser and nothing changed - electrolysis does not effect bromhidrosis either. You can also not claim laser and electrolysis are the same. They are unique methods of removing hair. This was my initial point, as I do know there are bromhidrosis sufferers who would find that distinction helpful.

I have an extremely healthy diet, no smelly foods, vitamins and I exercise regularly. It’s not that, I assure you. It does have an effect, yes, but not to the extent of being a cure.

Belladoo, just out of curiousity, have you also experienced an increase in odor? Or, have you heard from others who believe they have experienced this due to LHR? I am asking so as to understand from where you are coming.

This phenomenon might be real to some people as they have said this. I wonder if it was something they had all along and just didn’t notice it? I don’t know, just wondering. Or, is there is something which happens physically as a result of laser penetrating the skin and somehow affecting sweat glands?

From what I understand you have been saying, an change in odor is probably uncommon but it has happened, right? Perhaps, if this is true, you are seeking an answer as to why.

You indicated you are turned off to LHR for this reason. Are you going to go for electrolysis in this case? Electrolysis is certainly a viable option. It is very effective and highly recommended.

As far as electrolysis via the thermolysis method, yes, it too uses only heat, but that is not the only method and the technique is different.

I think what is being said, the similarities between LHR and electrolysis is they both use heat to kill the hair. Obviously, one uses LASER and the other uses a probe. But in the end, the LASER heats the hair at the root and the probe also heats the hair at the root.

No, I have bromhidrosis. I indicated this on my other thread, as I was in the process of trying to see which HR method would be best for my treatment. As I said before, I’m just basing the possible noted side effect of LHR on the previous comments (on this thread) and comments from other boards, as well as that study that was linked (on this thread).

What LAgirl is saying is what she said in another thread (my other thread), and that is that electrolysis and laser are the same because they both use heat to kill the hair follicle. Thus, (as implied) the result of electrolysis and laser are the same when it comes to how they affect the sweat glands, since they both use heat. However, when it comes to treating bromhidrosis, only electrolysis has been prescribed to treat it. What she hasn’t said, but might be (vaguely) implying is that whether or not you use only heat, chemicals or both, the end result is the destruction of the hair follicle. Due to her success w/ laser and some electrolysis for finer hairs, she has killed the hair follicles and noticed absolutely no difference in sweat or odor (increase or decrease). She cannot make that claim about the exact effect electrolysis has on the sweat glands, as she has mainly had laser and several bromhidrosis sufferers and electrologists have stated otherwise. I don’t know what makes them different, but I have not heard the same claims applied to laser HR.

And according to that brief study that was linked (on this thread), the patients had an increase in sweating. Thus, it was something that came after laser, not prior to it. At this point I’m not really trying to understand why. This is because the Nd: Yag laser has been used to treat apocrine bromhidrosis, which is what I’d like to treat. If LHR with it causes a possible increase in odor or sweat - it’s not the same method used to treat brom, which is the only treatment I’m seeking at the point.

No, what I asked you is HOW electrolysis cures your condition. How exactly does it impact the follicle to cure it? That’s the question you are not answering.

If the condition is not cured by simply removing the hair for good, you’re suggesting electrolysis does something else to the follicle that laser doesn’t, which in turns cures the condition. I’m asking what that something is.

I quoted you correctly - as have others in your defense, so don’t lie.

It’s not a matter of why or how. Those are simply people’s experiences, perhaps science can prove it later, if it hasn’t already.

Again, stop pestering me and do some research. I’m not here to argue with you. For you, it’s not a matter of desiring the answers, but obviously a matter of proving something (else) - regardless of the means (i.e. using dishonesty or misleading people). Full disclosure means little to you, it seems.

Your experience was (very) different - fine. You had mostly laser, move on.

This discussion isn’t about me. It’s about science. You are arguing with experts on this forum who know how both methods work. There is a science behind both methods - it’s not magic. If you think something has a chance of curing your condition, I’m amazed that you are not curious in the least in what way. And I’m not sure how you can dismiss other methods of hair removal that work in the same way if that’s the case.

Now, you’re finally providing an answer: you have no idea how electrolysis cures your condition. You simply read somewhere on some forum where a person claimed that it helped cure this condition.

So given your logic, it sounds like you dismiss laser as a cure for this condition simply because you haven’t yet encountered a forum post where someone else claimed that laser did the same. You do realize thatjust because you haven’t seen one, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist?

Anyway, this forum provides a supportive environment for those who actually want to learn and get results form their treatments. If you can’t be civil, there is no reason for you to use it. Show some manners. You need to stop your attacks on the experts here who gracially provide answers to users’ inquiries and help thousands of people. There is a reason a bunch of us have a certain status here. See the column to your right.

Read it and that’s the END:

I don’t desire your help. at all. I’m done talking to you.

If you don’t want help from people on this forum, I’m sure you can find others where you can insult people. I’m not sure why you keep coming back with your immaturity.

There is nothing in that thread claiming that electrolysis cures your condition. In fact, most of the replies are from people you’ve already insulted here in your posts.