Can anyone recommend this machine?

Dee, what did your VMC Silhourt-tone cost? Is it a better machine than the uniprobe I want to buy? I’m not sure where I am going to purchase it at. Either from ElectricSpa.com or www.prestigeelec.com. I’m planning on buying new. But no preference if either works good.

Does anyone know if you need a license to purchase/own an electrolysis machine in WA?

I’m also wondering if it would be possible to do non-permanent electrolysis in order to “thin” hair or reduce the corseness in hopes that it grows back lighter and thinner. Is that possible? what I am thinking is on the forearm area, where I want hair, but not the thick, dark, coarse hair that is there now. Also it would probably take a while because there are SO many hairs on the forearm area. Any ideas?

Why not get laser for your arms if you want hair reduction? It’s a gamble, but I have seen a lot of comments on this site and others that hair that regrows after laser is finer and lighter. Of course, the hair that regrows may also return to it’s original state. That’s why it is a gamble.

If you can figure out the right intensity and timing that will partially destroy the follicle using electrolysis,you can get thinning.
That would be difficult, but could be possible.

The VMC Silhouet-tone that I purchased cost
$2,964.00. That is the full price with shipping and handling. I can’t compare it with the uni-probe autoblend because I know nothing about this epilator. I purchased the VMC as opposed to other choices (which would have been good choices,too) mainly because of James Walker’s recommendation. I really respect his opinions and comments on this forum and my ears always perk up when he posts here. I recently purchased the VMC so I’m still getting to know the particulars about this epilator. So far, my clients love it for the level of comfort, not to mention, they heal nicely within a week.

Go to the American Electology Association website for information on licensed states.

Why don’t you just go to school and become an electrologist? You have so much enthusiasm for this stuff.

Dee

lol. The only enthusiasm I have is thinking one day I might not be a grizzly bear. Any machine I purchase will only be used for personal use, so I can’t really justify anything over $1500 or so. I just want to make sure whatever I get works.

Is there potential for ‘thinning’ with lasers to go bad, in that hair real grow back patchy or not at all?

Thanks

One of the exotic dancers who came to me did so because she had been horribly teased in the locker room (or is that powder room?)by the other dancers. Her L.A.S.E.R. treatments had netted her a patchy hair pattern that earned her the nickname “Cheata” for the very apparent spots of hair and color changes that resulted.

There are also some documented cases of people who get laser treatments and actually have their hair growth pattern INCREASE the number of hairs per square inch, and many times the hairs even get thicker.

Hi,

My post is to confirm what James said, i had Laser, came with fine hairs and few darks that where bothering me,  and after 3 treatments my hairs are growing darker, in crazy directions and a LOT MORE, AND HORRIBLE !!!!!

My advise, Laser is’t not for every body,

i do prefer to use profesional wax and electrolysis.

Glenda

Glenda, do you know what the type or brand laser they used on you?

I received my Uni-Probe AUTOBLEND today and to my suprise it came with NO instructions what so ever! I’m reading an electroylsis book and learning the basics of the trade, but I have many questions regarding the specifics of this machine. Can anyone answer the following questions for me?

1. How do I know what to set the DC, RF, and timer to?
  2. Do I need to hold the included hand held ground at all times?
  3. How do you know what needle diameter and insertion length for each area?
  4. I bought an expensive magnification mirror but I still can’t really see the hairs pore. Is this common? Do you just follow the general growth direction and basically do your best to follow the area into the pore? Or should I clearly see into the pore?

Is there anywhere I can get some general blend instructions or Uni-Probe specific instructions? I can’t believe they didn’t send any, it’s ludacris.

Thanks

I can’t read your post without thinking about all the people who post here saying “I think these so called pro’s are just trying to scare us off from saving money when they say it is better to see a pro than to do it yourself.”

First of all, the manufacturer of the machine assumes that only a trained professional would be obtaining the equipment, and if you were, you would not have the questions you are asking.

The ground need only be in contact with your skin when you wish the equipment to actively treat a follicle.

The probe size is fitted to the size of the hair,and the follicle it is growing from and the proper insertion depth is something you learn to gauge by feel. If you don’t develop the touch, you will mess up frequently. Electrology classes and books teach you how to size this up.

Working in a mirror on yourself is the quickest way to have slow tedious and possibly dangerous treatments. No magnifying mirror will give you the detail you seek, so what you describe is in fact common for what you are attempting to do.

I will also assume that you missed the advise posted plenty of other places in this forum that you should buy The Blend Method by Mike Bono available by mail via Texas Electrolysis Supply 1-800-626-6025 and work on getting an electrology partner to trade work on. You still won’t get as fast a clearance as seeing a pro, but at least you won’t be getting the slow painful work that occurs when one tries to work on one’s own face alone.

You might also wish to explore with the people at T.E.S. some of the magnification options for you and your hair removal buddy to utilize for better insertions.

I don’t have a maginfying mirror, but instead a magnifying lamp with a 5 diop lens. It was purchased from an electrylsis company and is intended for the trade. To see the actual pore and needle insertion, it appears to me you would need a microscope. I don’t understand with what clarity I am supposed to see the pore. The book I have is ‘Modern Electrology’ by Fino Gior. It was highly recommended.

DIY’er, can you tell me what methods you use to set the DC, RF, & timer for your Autoblend and then work up? I would appreciate it. Rest assured I am not going to try any electrolysis until I feel 100% comfortable with what I am doing.

Thanks!

A 5 diopter lense is good enough to get the idea of the angle that the hair is exiting from the skin, and you can slide in alongside of the hair from there. What you are noticing through your 5 diopter lense is the reason why I and many other serious electrologists went to the expense of getting scopes. We wanted the best magnification and lighting to allow the most comfortable and accurate insertions. Five Diopter lenses also have a small working distance, and a small “sweet spot” for their focal point.

I think that most people who, like me have read both the Bono Book, and the Gior Book find the Bono Book more heavy on the how too of treatment settings. That is why we suggest that home users buy that one, even though I know the Gior Book is less expensive. If you had someone teaching you hands on, which text was utilized would not be as important. The Blend Method Book has charts graphs and illustrations on exactly this subject.

[ April 03, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: James W. Walker VII, CPE ]

They make an 8 diop lens for my lamp, would that make a significant difference?

Higher than 5 Diopter, and you start to get to where the working distance is so close to the skin that you may not have enough room to fit your hands and your tweezers, and stuff. I think the focal distance on a 10 diopter is about 6 inches. It is bending to see with equipment like this that makes practitioners utilizing these circle lamps have back problems.

The short working distance is bad enough. My issues with a five diopter lens, and even a three diopter lens, was that if one eye was looking at the pore in the center of the lens, the other eye was off axis, so the image the two eyes got was distinctly different. It drove me nuts unless I closed one eye, which was not a workable solution.

Also, the lens is heavy, and as a result the whole lamp bobs around for a bit should you accidentally nudge it.

DIY’er, could you tell me what you generally set the DC, RF, and timer settings at on your Uni-Probe for different areas of the body? Also could you tell me what process you use to start and work up to your desired settings? I would appreciate this very much.

Thanks, Jim

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can please answer for me:

I am reading about establishing the RF volt amount and epilation time for the blend method. It says:

“The starting point for RF is 40 volts. The RF will determine the treatment time necessary for each follicle. Threat three hairs of similar depth. Set only the RF intensity. Set the timer knob using the enclosed suggested guidelines for the type of hair. Insert the Uni-Probe into the hair follicle. Depress the footswitch and release. If the hair does not release within ten seconds, advance the RF knob by 5 volts. Proceed with similar hair. Average the seconds required to epilate three test hairs used for the ten second count.”

I don’t quite understand that. What do they mean “release within ten seconds”? Are they saying insert the uniprobe for ten seconds and increase the volts until you get proper epilation? If so, how would you know if the time is anything less than 10 seconds? Are you doing the electrolyis and tweezing the hair at the same time? I really don’t understand this part.

I am getting so frusterated, can someone please help?

Also what does electrolyis feel like? Is the pain similar to just tweezing a hair or is it like a bee sting? Just so I know what to expect the first time…

Someone please help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Michael Bono and many other “West Coast Offense” Electrologists utilize a two handed technique where the forceps/tweezers are used to grasp the hair and hold it up while the other hand inserts the probe and when the hair is properly treated, it will release and pop out of the follicle, leaving the probe all alone in the now hairless follicle.

Needless to say, this is difficult to do on yourself in many areas, but an electrolysis buddy would have no problem doing this.

What you should feel will range from nothing at all, to a warming sensation, to a tingling, to a burning, possibly stinging sensation. What you feel is very individual to the variables of your body, moisture count, caffine count (bad), technique, equipment used, and the part of the body worked on.

Ok, so the technique described in my manual must be using the two handed, like you said. So being that method isn’t possible for me, what do I do instead to determine the RF and DC settings for the blend method? Please tell me if this is how I determine it…

Determine the RF setting (Thermolysis only):

Start at 40 volts, set timer to 2.0-2.5 seconds. Increase RF by 1/2 mark (5 volts) until proper epilation is acheived.

Is that right for setting the RF knob?

But then, how do I set the DC setting? They base is by dividing units of lye by the number of seconds required in a 10 count for proper epilation for the RF settings. Since I can’t do the 10 count (two handed technqiue), what number do I use instead?

For example I am going to practice on my arms and the units of lye is 45. So it should be 45 divided by what to find the millampere settings?

So considering if I somehow use an alternative to the ten count to find the DC settings, please tell me if this would be correct:

RF Setting: Start at 40 volts, 2.0-2.5 seconds, work up by 5 volts to determine setting for each area.

DC: Divide units of lye in my recommended chart by estimated ten count (that I derive some alternative method) for the proper millamperes setting.

Timer: Keep in the 2.0-2.5 range.

Is that a correct method of making the right settings for each area?

If so, I guess the only thing left is to find an alternative to derive the avg. number of seconds based on a ten count. Or using a different method/equation to determine the millamperes/DC setting.

Any ideas Mr. Walker? I appreciate your help tremendously so far!

Thanks
Jim

So do you know how I can determine the DC setting for different areas?

DIY’er, feel free to post your thoughts, being that you have this same machine…

Thanks

So can anyone help me with setting the DC settings?

I tried my machine today for the first time and when I try to insert the needle into the follicle it’s tough because my hands shaking so bad. Not because i’m nervious or anything, but that’s just how I am. Is that normal. Can I still perform electrylsis on myself if when I insert the needle it’s shaking back and forth? I don’t know how else to steady my hand more, it’s just how I am. It’s hard to keep the needle at at a certain depth when it’s bouncing all over the place. What can I do to stop that?