BLT Numbing Cream ?

Hi
I have used emla cream successfully in the past but he new clinic I just signed up with only uses BLT (benzocaine / lidocaine / tetracaine). Has anyone else tried this, and was it effective vs emla ? thanks !!

I have not used Emla but my spa used BLT. I put it on for the brazilian treatment and I barely felt a thing. I was pretty numb for a while after treatment as well.

I put the treatment on and then wrapped the area in cellophane to make sure it did not get on my clothes.

Thanks, I will try the BLT. It must be fairly new, because I never heard of it before. They claim you only need to put it on 20min before the treatment, which means I won’t have to drive with it on to the appointment, like I did with the emla thank god !

thanks again.

EMLA is a eutectic mixture of lidocaine and prilocaine, whereas the BLT ingredients are compounded in dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO).

BLT is generally safe provided it’s compounded correctly by a pharmacy (EMLA is usually manufactured in a plant). As with EMLA, it shouldn’t be applied to large areas. DMSO passes through the skin like a warm knife in butter, so occlusion isn’t really necessary.

EMLA is more popular because amide anesthetics like lidocaine and prilocaine have a lower incidence of allergic reactions in comparison to ester compounds (benzocaine, tetracaine, etc).

Thanks for the info, I will post again in mid june after my first treatment with BLT. Since I am only using it on a small area, the back of my neck, I will wrap it up to insure maximum effectiveness and a fair comparison since that is the protocol I followed with emla.

Ok, finally an update !! Just had my neck treated with the light sheer using the BLT cream wrapped with saran wrap. I arrived a little later than planned so only had the cream on for 30min.

Good news: the cream definitely works. I would say comparable with EMLA in terms of numbness

Bad news: it was refrigerated and quite chalky :frowning: So I could not apply it evenly… Some spots did not get enough coverage and I did feel the laser where there was not enough cream. Also the cost is triple what I would have paid for EMLA (in Tijuana, but hate waiting at the border to get back to San Diego).

I am type II with dark brown hair. I could smell burnt hair and see quite a few dead ones what where pulled out by the laser. But my skin tends to get very red during the treatment, so she would not raise the fluence.

Does anyone know if 24 is a low/med/high setting for jueles (not sure about pulse width) ??

In the past I had very good luck with the lightsheer, but it was 5 yrs ago, and I forget the settings.

Regardless of pulse width, 24J is on the lower end for this laser.

Redness is normal as long as it goes away. Everyone reacts differently.

Ok, I will see they can use more power next time.

I never heard of it before.

Careful applying numbing creams before you drive… especially on your legs. I’d also be wary of applying creams and wrapping a large amount of your skin.

What’s the consensus on using numbing creams on the male beard area, including the front of the neck? Any opinions?

My guys don’t need it. I set my epilator for one pulse using PicoFlash or Synchro thermolysis. They find all tolerable. The middle upper lip is the exception and a topical can be helpful.

Prior to upgrading to an apilus platinum, I would have a client see a nearby dentist, for a local anaesthetic, prior to an upper lip treatment approximately every 2 to 3 weeks. Now it happens about twice a year. The vast majority of my clients can tolerate picoflash, used in the way Dee describes. Some will have shorter sessions than others,depending on their individual pain thresholds. Many clients have gone on to fully clear mid lips, that they could never have tolerated, with the older equipment. Everyone is happier now.

I’m using a Candela Gentlelase 15mm at 26J. Haven’t had it on my face/upper lip yet, only on my neck and that was hugely painful. I’m thinking of using EMLA before my next treatment - but only if it’s advisable to use on the face/neck and only if it will offer some kind of comfort. Any thoughts?

The only way you are going to know if it helps , is to use it once. For some people, it takes the edge away and for some it does diddliy. Just use it as the manufacturer suggests. Talk to a doctor or pharmacist as well to ensure that you are applying it correctly.

You can use EMLA cream and it will help if you follow these instructions. (It is a Eutectic Mixture of Local Anesthestics hence EMLA) It must be applied to the area anticipated to be treated at least 1 hour before and no longer than 4 hours until the unpleasant stimulus) It works best when covered by a clear dressing like a Tegaderm or saran wrap if that’s all you have. Apply liberally so you can see the cream and not just the moisture of the cream.

Before using EMLA Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with EMLA Cream.

Consider not using:
if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substance
if you have severe liver disease.

Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with EMLA Cream.
Antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, dofetilide, mexiletine, tocainide), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), cimetidine, or other medicines containing lidocaine or prilocaine because the risk of side effects or toxic effects, including heart or nerve problems, may be increased
Acetaminophen, acetanilid, aniline dyes (eg, p-phenylenediamine), benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates (eg, nitroglycerin, isosorbide), nitrites (eg, sodium nitrite), nitrofurantoin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine, or sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole) because the risk of side effects, including blood problems, may be increased.

It’s fine to use on your face or any other area. Properly compounded creams are not dangerous if used as indicated.

Thanks LAgirl.

One other question on EMLA - once you’ve applied it and left it on for the proper amount of time, how are you supposed to remove it? Is it okay to wash it off with a moist towel?

I’ll have to remove it before I go to my appointment (will take about 45 mins to get from my place to the clinic, but that should be okay according to the instructions, as the effects last for two hours after removing the cream).

My clients apply it before they come and I wipe it off as I work on the area. You don’t want to wipe it off before you arrive because it can metabolize quickly and then you won’t have the full effect of numbing. Most people don’t get total numbing, but it helps take the edge off.

Most people prefer to arrive early and put it on in the office.