BLT Numbing Cream ?

Trouble with that approach is, many offices don’t have a separate room for one to sit in for an hour or so while the topical penetrates down deep to those nerve bundles that surround each hair.

Others here have posted that they put it on and cover it with clear wrap, and take it off when they get to the office. With a 45-min drive involved, that could work.

That’s what my clients do, but I don’t want them to wipe it off. I want to peel back the plastic occlusion wrap myself. I wipe off the topical in the area I am about to work on, while leaving the cream on in other others to keep working, until I can get to those areas. Sometimes the effect of the topical weakens within 15 to 20 minutes, so it is best to take advantage of the "numbed " area quickly.

Guys, I live in London and for any of you that have ever been here, this is not a city where you can drive your car around. So I will have to take public transport to the clinic, and it’s about a 45 minute commute. So is it totally pointless for me to bother with the EMLA cream, given that I will most likely need to remove it before I leave my home? Thus it will be at least 45 minutes later before a laser touches my skin.

If I need to leave it on, I’ll have to cover almost my entire face and neck with a scarf or something. Not sure how that will work given what’s been going on in London for the past few days!

Also - for removing it, what’s the best way? Do I just wash my face, or use a moist towel? I don’t want to weaken the effect any more than necessary…

Jason, I don’t know where you are getting your treatment but at my laser clinic they had tiny rooms which they would use to apply EMLA and you’d sit there for an hour until your appointment. I did this but purchased my own tubes since it was cheaper. I only did it once, I didn’t feel it made any difference.

Yes, have been to London, but we’re not mind readers :slight_smile: You don’t have your location listed in your profile! Plus, some people live on the outskirts and drive in.

Have you been to that clinic? Is there somewhere to put it on there and wait it out? You’re likely not the first person who wants to use a numbing cream. I would ask them what other customers do.

Jason, just wipe it off with a tissue. No need to wash it off or use an antiseptic to wipe it off.

Jason, watching the news now. Be safe. Looks scary in the UK with all the rioting.

Regarding another topical anesthetic, LMX that you may be able to get, II have been nosing around and found this:

Baylor College of Medicine, Houston Texas
Dermatology
Laser - How to Apply Numbing Cream

LMX is numbing cream we use to make skin treatments more comfortable. It can be purchased over the counter (no prescription needed) at any pharmacy (some need 48 hours to order). We sell it at the front desk for patient convenience. It is best applied generously and repeatedly starting 45 -90 minutes prior to your procedure. If it can be used, covering the cream with plastic wrap can be very helpful in increasing effectiveness. Sensitive areas such as the face or bikini line may be helped with special techniques listed below. We recommend not using more than 2 large (30 gm) tubes per session.

For use in most areas:
Rub in a layer 60 minutes before the treatment. Immediately after rubbing in the first layer, place a very generous layer on the skin to be treated. The layer should be as thick as frosting on a cake or a facial mask.
If possible cover the area with plastic wrap and tape the edges (difficult on the face).
Reapply another very generous layer 30 minutes before the treatment.
Do not wash off the cream until instructed by the doctor.
Tips for use on the face:
Consider applying a layer 90 minutes before the treatment, then follow steps 1-4 above.
Apply extra cream on the most sensitive areas of the face to be treated such as the forehead, nose, upper lip and chin.
Consider using the entire 30 gram tube for the entire face.
Tips for use on the bikini line:
It is extremely helpful to use plastic wrap in the bikini line. We have found it best to use pantyhose or spandex biking shorts on top of the plastic wrap to hold everything in place.

Last modified: August 02, 2010

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful advice. I managed to apply the EMLA and leave it for about 45-ish minutes before my appointment, and had the treatment about 15 minutes after removing the cream. I have to say I definitely noticed a difference! It was more tolerable than the first time. The clinic don’t have a room that I can use to apply the cream and wait unfortunately, which makes it a bit awkward for me to continue with EMLA. But I’ll see if I can come up with a workable solution between now and my next appointment.

There is a clear lidocaine formula if you don’t like the highly noticeable white cream. Here’s a link:

http://www.esbalabs.com/top5.htm

fab thread, (cos i needed the info too) Am about to go for my next treatment also. I use lmx (switched over from emla). But I always used it sparingly and never considered using the full 30 gramme tube on an area equivalent to full face.

So I think thats where I might be going wrong. What I’m gonna do is use the full tube on the area and take (orally) a pain killer too.

Two - definitely give it a go using a full tube. I did not use it sparingly at all - I loaded it onto my skin. I only had it on for 45 mins as well - so if you can do it for 60 mins that’s even better. The treatment was far from pain-free, but it was significantly better.

Can anyone explain how to apply the BTL cream if you are going to be using it for full leg laser hair removal? How soon before my treat should it be applied? Should I apply the ointment to both full legs at the same time or do one? I keep reading that if too much is applied it can cause some toxicity, so I’m a bit nervous and want some clarification. Thanks!

numbing cream is not supposed to be used on an area larger than an a4 ( 8 1/2 X 11) piece of paper. Exceed this at your peril. For reference, there has been one recorded death from use of EMLA numbing cream by someone who was doing EXACTLY as you suggested, an misused the product. They died on the way over to ther laser appointment after covering themselves naval to toes ( including genital area). They were hypersenative. Never use numbing cream on a large area having never used it before. The consequences…could be your life.