Best Size Needle

Hi,

I’ve been practicing Electrolysis for many years, but only on women. My son has asked me to do electrolysis on his unibrow. It is very thick, coarse, and dense. I’d like to know if there is a “best” sized needle to use. I have been using my trusty Berkowits 2200 since 1988.
Thank you!

Janet

The “best” size needle is the needle with the same or bigger diameter as the treated hair.

1 Like

Thank you dimitrov57 for answering my question. I had originally been using a #3M needle for years that I would purchase directly from Berkowits. Then I began purchasing from Texas electrolysis supply, Laurier Tapered 2-Pieced SS .003 Medium. I apologize for asking, but how do I know which # needle would be thicker. I understand from your reply that I would need a bigger needle as the diameter of the hair I am treating is not fine, but thick and coarse.
I appreciate your expertise.
Janet

I am not familiar with those needles, so I can not give you advise. I have different size needles from different manufacturers so I can always chose the best probe for the current case by choosing the diameter of the needle to be the same with the diameter of the hair close to the skin. If you need more information please let me know.
Best. Dimi

The largest diameter needle that will fit the follicle without dimpling the skin during insertion is the best guide. I have used this rule for 40 years in every situation and it has never failed.

1 Like

I know, I use the same rule.

Thank you Hairadicator. I really appreciate your reply. After reading Dimi’s reply, I read up on what he said and found his answer to be correct as yours.
Hairadicator, would you be able to help me figure out the #size needle I should use? I use a Berkowits 2200 machine for thermolysis work. I’ve only used thin needles and now I need to purchase a thicker diameter needle. I have used Laurier but could purchase another brand if you could recommend something to me.
Thank you again,
Janet

Spiritis all of the answers are good ones.I tend to go up a bit if the diameter of the hair calls for it, but for brows I do still usually find an F3 or F4 is large enough. I cant see too many brow hairs calling for an f5 but it could happen.You’ll quickly get a feel when you’ve gone too large insertions will be more difficult and uncomfortable but in general with any kind of thermolysis a larger needle gives more even heat patterns and usually a better treatment overall.
If in doubt, contact Jennifer at Texas Electrolysis Supply and she may be able to ship you a few of all sizes so you can try out different sizes and get a feel for both inserting them, and what size is called for.If you decide togo this way just as a test, any old probe will do sterex,insulate/noninsulated. If t’s just to test a few hairs and see what works best it doesnt matter much. Sterex would be perfect

1 Like

Hello Seana,
Thank you. I will contact Jennifer at Texas Electrolysis Supply as you suggested.
My machine is over 30 years old, but still works well and I’m comfortable with it.
It is a Berkowits 2200 and does not use probes.
Requesting a few of all sizes is good advice.
I am so happy to be able to get reliable information from everyone in this forum.
You are so helpful.
Janet

I tend to use #3s and #4s on brows … and like Seana said, a #5 could happen, but it is not likely. Use the largest diameter probe that will fit in the follicle without dimpling the skin upon insertion. Also make sure you are inserting to the proper depth. Epilate a hair with the tweezer at the skin surface and note the distance between the tweezer and the bottom of the bulb. This will give you the proper depth. Most brow hairs are not very deep.

1 Like

Hairadicator,

Thank you so much for your help. Your advice on finding the proper depth is especially helpful. I feel much more confident now in deciding the size of the needle. I am looking to get Sterex from Texas Electrolysis Supply. I’ll order 3’s and4’s, and find which works best.

Thank you,

Janet

Janet,

There will be minor variations with sizing between manufacturers, but it’s not a critical issue. The primary goal is to find the largest diameter probe that will fit the follicle without dimpling. My experience has been that one-piece probes in any given size might be slightly larger in diameter than a two-piece probe of the same size. If you contact probe manufacturers directly, some of them will send free samples of their needles in various sizes. This gives you a chance to try out a variety of manufacturers and decide which one you like best. Some electrologists prefer the flexibility of a two-piece probe, while others like the rigidity of a one-piece. There is no right or wrong - all probes work.

1 Like

Absolutely agree and if the hairs are too dense spread them, take every other or third hairs.

1 Like

Paula_James,

Your advice for working on a dense area is helpful. I really appreciate receiving this information. I know the answers given here on HairTell are from professional, caring, electrologists.
I had always worked on women’s faces. Nothing as thick and coarse as this. I felt unprepared to work on my own son. You’ve all been a great help to me.
Thank you,
Janet

1 Like

You can find the depth of insertion by using the “depth gauge” how Hairadicator said. This means you have to find a late “anagen” hair which you have to epilate without any resistance. You can look at below attachment to see how many other parameters are involve in electrolysis process.