always breaking out !!!

i tried waxing a couple times (my face was clean) and i ALWAYS break outt the days after and its so horrible that i swear to god i will nevr do it again. I treid threading once (but my face wasnt that clean) adn the same thing happened…WHAT DO I DO…i used hair remove for a while but i hate the results…i REALLY want to thread my face because everyone notices the number of hairs on my face/sideburns/chin…but im scared of breaking out!!! i wax my eyebrows and upper lip all the time??? WHATS WRONG WIT ME?

Plucking, threading, waxing, etc are not recommended hair removal methods for any area of the face except eyebrows, it is possible to make the hair problem worse. Have you thought of a more permanent type of removal?

As far as breaking out goes… Besides just cleaning the area beforehand, keep it clean for 2 days after. Keep your hands off the area. Make sure your pillow cases are clean too. Swimming, sun exposure, and sweating excessively are all no-nos.

Are they zits or ingrown hairs?

i dont knoww they are lil red bumps ALL over… i belive some of them are ingrown…the hair definatly got thicker and i have no money for a laser treatment…what should i do? will i still break out if i keep trying

My dear friend:

my recommendations would be to stop waxing, tweezing or plucking, this unfortunately makes matter worse on your face.

From my experience, shaving and clipping have been on my list to reduce bumps, and redness. Unfortunately ingrowns are treated with either electrolysis and/or laser. With some patience, and good cleanser, like Spectro Gel or Cetaphil (gentle/sensitive face) this will help. If this persists, persue professional help.

Hi Kris,

You ask us, “What’s wrong with me?”
If you want to know what’s, “wrong” with you, visit an endocrinologist physician to assess if there is a metabolic disorder as the growth could be a symptom.

Then, you can address the unwanted hair.
Since you noted that you can’t afford laser, I suggest electrolysis. I have witnessed laser induced hair growth and would not recommend it to remove facial hair so in your situation, I think electrolysis is your best option.

If you can manage a 15 minute appointment every week or every other week, your electrologist can begin to clear an area. Ideally, clearing your entire face with each treatment will provide you with complete and permanent hair removal faster but for most, it is not affordable. In your situation, some consistant electrolysis is better than the waxing. If you are willing to shave the areas that would temporarily not receive electrolysis treatment, you might be able to get through this difficult time.

I have nothing against waxing, laser, other methods of hair removal and have administered them all.

Many clients want to wax. As long as they are informed about possible tissue reaction, as long as they are informed that waxing is not going to put an end to all of the facial hair growth, then you can make your choices based on being an informed consumer.

Many clients want to thread. As long as they are informed that the threading is also removing the ultra thin hairs that are often best left alone, then you can make your choices based on being informed. Just note that the stimulation caused by waxing and threading might cause those fine hairs to transition from vellus to terminal for some people (transitions from fine to coarse hair).

Many clients want to have laser or IPL. As long as they are informed about the limitations of each type of light based hair removal, that is fine too.

[color:#FF0000]That is most important, that each consumer be honestly informed about the advantages and the drawbacks of every type of hair removal… and HONEST answers are highly personalized as hair removal choice and hair removal success is contingent on client skin type, hair characteristics, budget and health.[/color]

Unwanted facial hair is a big burden. I hope you find a compassionate electrologist who understands your limited budget and go from there. Let us know what region of Canada you’re in. Maybe new member, LucieD can offer some personal assistance or referrals.

Gotta work!
All the best.

I believe you are experiencing folliculitis, infection of follicles.

Which has happened to me every time I waxed or thread, that’s why I stopped and did laser. However, I do not recommend laser because it was counteractive. Electrolysis is better since electrolysis kills the follicles.

Anyway, I still have scarring from folliculitis from 2 years ago. :frowning:

Laser kills the follicles with heat, just like electrolysis. It just has to be only done on certain type of hair and at certain settings to be effective.

I’ve asked you before to post your laser story so we can figure out what went wrong. Can you please do that?

I already have posted my experience only a month ago, and you have replied to my post. And we also have corresponded in other threads.http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/50152/Abnormal_hair_growth_on_neck.html

Thanks for the link. I respond to many posts on the laser forum, so I can’t keep track of everyone’s names and stories as much as I’d like to.

As we’ve discussed, you were treated with laser on the type of hair that should NOT have been treated with laser (fine or vellus facial hair). This doesn’t mean laser is not effective. It means that you received services by someone who cared more about your money than your results, or was clueless about how laser works.

I hope you understand this because in all your posts on the electrolysis forum, you suggest to the posters that laser doesn’t work at all, which is not true. It doesn’t claim to work on all hair types. If you go to an electrologist who doesn’t know what they’re doing, electrolysis won’t produce results for you either. Please keep this in perspective.

Btw, I’ve had both laser and electrolysis done on many areas, both successfully. I’m speaking in part from personal experience.

Again, my upper lip hair, my side burns, and the laser-induced hair growth on my neck are not fine vellus hair. I will settle with the fact that both laser centers do not know how to operate laser effectively, which absolutely sucks because then I have no luck with finding a good one or simply a good laser technician is rare.

All my posts are not about laser. In the ones that are about laser, I do NOT suggest that laser does not work for everyone. I just warn against laser in situations that I think need warning. Or I just make note that I can not recommend laser because of the reverse reaction that I received from it.

I am glad that you had good results with laser, you can go ahead and tell people about your good results and I will tell people about my bad results. They can take all the information and make a decision. It is not my responsibility to post neutral and balanced posts.

“I do not recommend laser because it was counteractive”
Just because it was for you does not mean that it will be for everyone. When I first joined and did not have a clue, from that statement I may have belived that it would not work on my back or infact my already very coarse dense hair would suddenly become like thick animal fur.

“Electrolysis is better since electrolysis kills the follicles”
As lagirl said, this again is incorrect. Why would the FDA class laser as permanent hair reduction.

We ask people to post balanced and neutral posts otherwise it misleads consumers who could achieve good results, is that fair? If you think that someone may not be a good candidate for laser go ahead and tell them, but explain both sides of the coin. Don’t make blanket statements or purposley incorrect statements just because your not happy with your results. So yes it is your responsibility to post balanced and neutral posts.

Benji

“I do not recommend laser because it was counteractive”
Just because it was for you does not mean that it will be for everyone. When I first joined and did not have a clue, from that statement I may have belived that it would not work on my back or infact my already very coarse dense hair would suddenly become like thick animal fur.

“Electrolysis is better since electrolysis kills the follicles”
As lagirl said, this again is incorrect. Why would the FDA class laser as permanent hair reduction.

We ask people to post balanced and neutral posts otherwise it misleads consumers who could achieve good results, is that fair? If you think that someone may not be a good candidate for laser go ahead and tell them, but explain both sides of the coin. Don’t make blanket statements or purposley incorrect statements just because your not happy with your results. So yes it is your responsibility to post balanced and neutral posts.

Benji [/quote]

I do not make purposefully incorrect statements. And yes it was counteractive and that is why I said I could not recommend it.

Why do people do not understand that when I say laser treatments that I had were counteractive, that they were actually counteractive? Did I say laser as a whole is counteractive for everyone? NO!!!

Another thing, since the OP is concerned about her facial hair, why can’t I say that laser is not good for her? As I recall, lagirl says that facial hair is too fine for laser. The OP did not mention she had PCOS, so maybe her hair is too fine for laser.

The problem with your statements was that you made blanket statements, which were not true. The purpose of this site is to educate consumers about how each type of hair removal works and help them figure out which is best for for each of their needs. Your blanket statement would lead a newbie to believe that laser doesn’t kill hair and that it does not work on any area because you didn’t expand on it and because you stated something that’s not true (that laser doesn’t kill hair like electrolysis does).

To answer your question: yes, in this case, the OP has hair on her face, so laser may or may not be a viable option depending on how coarse and dense the hair is. However, the negative effect from your statements would be leading the OP to believe that laser cannot be used effectively on any area or type of hair. Say she wanted to do her bikini after she resolves her facial hair problem. If there was no one clarifying your statements here, she would not even consider laser because you stated that it was ineffective without clarifying your experience and why yours was ineffective (so she can avoid your mistake).

Once again, please keep the purpose of this forum in mind. It’s taken a lot of work from all of us over the past several years to get it to the point where it’s easy for newbies to find unbiased information here in order to find the best method for their needs. This is not to say that you cannot state your feelings or your experiences. There is just a difference of describing a personal experience and providing valuable advice, and bordering on misinformation (such as sayinig that laser doesn’t kill hair like electrolysis does, which is an incorrect statement).

p.s. If you really think about it, you haven’t yet seen the results of electrolysis since you only recently started it. Yet you recommend it already. There is no issue with that as long as you’re not stating misinformation, which we’re trying to avoid on this forum for the benefit of the consumers who come here to find unbiased correct information.

For one, I have tried electrolysis a few years ago, I have stated that in one of my posts. Yes there was a reduction but I gave up on it because it was a very slow process. Two, electrolysis works better than laser because each hair is targeted ensuring it gets killed so IN MY OPINION it is better.

You’re right, I should have been more thorough with my responses, but I regret that I am a lazy poster with little time on my hands. Also, I do understand that laser does kill follicles but I phrased the part about electrolysis incorrectly that it seemed that I meant only electrolysis can kill follicles.

While I appreciate everyone’s feedback, I do not appreciate that my posts are picked apart and long rants posted on my posting behavior, can we ease up on that? Especially you benji boy. thank you. And no I am not going to write balanced and neutral information, there is no reason based on my experience that I should, benji boy. I will just be more thorough with my experiences. I am not going to talk about the effectiveness of laser when I wasted 2,000 dollars, which could have been better spent on lasik or school, only for ugly coarse hairs to appear which I have to shave constantly. To say I should write balanced posts is a stupid suggestion.

Okay, here’s what I think we all would consider a balanced post.

“In my experience I found that laser stimulated thick, coarse, ugly hairs on my face so I wouldn’t advise it for this area. Although if your hair is as thick as a man’s beard maybe you will have more success, but that is down to you”

Simple.

The others have and do correct me when I speed type something and forget to add something or say something incorrectly (by accident, as I’m usually either half asleep or late for college) in order to help others reading the post looking for truthful information, which is what we would do for anyone, so why should you be exempt?

However, what I do have a problem with is blanket statements, so if your going to post your experience and say “I think laser is awful, it doesn’t work, it stimulates thicker hair” your not saying why, which area it did, your reasons for this, possible experiences of others.

If you post something on a public information forum where everyone can read, you do have to think first how others may take it, especially as the purpose of this site is to educate new members on the advantages as well as the disadvantages of the different types of hair removal.

Oh and if you continue to write unbalanced, misinformative blanket statements I will continue to pick them apart.

Benji

I too had the same problems when I was younger – coarse, dense sideburn and chin hair. Waxing would make me break out terribly so I used to trim and bleach (I figured blond fuzz was better than a black beard!).

I finally opted for electrolysis while in my early 20’s (i’m in my 40s now). Best thing I ever did!!! Although it did take a couple of years of weekly 15 min treatments (it was expensive for a college student!). 20 years later I have had NO regrowth of my sideburns. During my pregnancies, I did develop a handful of coarse chin hairs which subsequent electrolysis took care of (my original electologist had warned me that chin hairs were hormonal whereas my sideburn hairs were not). I still bleach each month, as my face is covered in fine hair but I can live with that!

I am having my upper lip (which I’ve shaved for years) lasered (type IV skin/ND:Yag laser) now. I’ve only had 4 treatments so far, so we’ll see how it goes. I had 6 treatment on my underarms last year and have had about 75% reduction which I am satisfied with (my underarms used to be much darker than the rest of my skin and the hair was as thick and dense as a man’s beard).

So, try the trim and bleach route while perusing electrolysis, if only for 15 min a week. You won’t regret it!

There would be no problem with your post if you stated “in my opinion, electrolysis is better than laser on finer hair on the face as laser stimulated my facial hair to get worse”. You’ll find that I and others here state this very thing in many posts helping consumers avoid the problem that you experienced. If you came to this forum before going to that clinic, we would have told you not to do it.

Good luck with your treatments. Hopefully, you’ll keep us updated.

Threading is a technique mainly used in our salon for people with sensitive skin.Your pores are open for a bit after Threading so to avoid the little bumps or a full blown break out
avoid touching your skin or applying anything other then rose water.
Also find a professional near you who specializes in http://www.pozasalon.com/index.php/site/services/ ,not just some random threading booth at the mall.
If you are anywhere near Charlotte N.C go see Pooran at Poza Salon

I too was breaking out, but with waxing, so I decided to try using a spring purchased at Lowes Home Improvement. I purchased a 1/4" x 3-1/4" x .025" spring for only $3.00 and like the epistick photos show rolled the spring over my upper lip moving in an upward direction and barely bending the spring. Wow, it pulled the hairs right out, along with the roots. Now that I have profected this maneuver my secret tip is to clean the area before you start and finish with Hawaiian Tropic Cool Aloe ICE with Lidocaine. No more breakouts and smooth skin. This technique works for me, it may not work for everyone, but its definitely worth trying.

Lowe’s? Spring? What? I’m trying to imagine this?