YAG LASER

Hi,

I am new to this site. I am considering Yag laser removal treatment and I went to get a testing area done, before I had the treatment done on my lower legs. I like other males are not interested in permanent removal, but rather have the hair come back finer.

I was told by the practioner that the treatment will cause the hair to grow back in patches. Could anyone please tell me their experiences with yag and if the hair did in fact grow back in pathces. And also how soon did you find the hair in the treated area growing back thinner.

Thanks, and I will report what happend to the tested area in two weeks time.

I was treated with an Nd:Yag and yes it grew back patchy. Now that it has been “reduced” (after 5 treatments) I have some hair that grows in really fine and is incredibly easy to shave, and some that is still thick and dark that you can imagine doesn’t shave very easily in some areas. I think the actual regrowth with Yag might be quicker - don’t quote me on this - and mine grew back in within a few months. Not what I had intended although for now I’ll take what I can get until I get it permanently removed.
-MD

YAG lasers in general are made for darker skin tones.

The YAG lasers are not any more likely to cause patchy regrowth than other lasers. Practitioner skill has more to do with the patchiness of regrowth than they type of laser.

If you have light skin and dark hair, you can also be treated with the Lightsheer diode laser. For darker skin the Nd:YAG is the best laser. I have had two treatments on my entire legs and am very happy with the results. I am going for total leg hair removal so I will have more treatments in the future. The regrowth I have is definitely finer. I shaved my legs the other day and missed half of one of my knees, the hair was so fine I had a hard time seeing it.

You may discover after 2 or 3 treatments that you are happy with the results and that you have achieved enough reduction to meet your goal. My experience is tht any hair that does not grow back in 2 months is not coming back. Ever!

I haven’t had my abs lasered in over 2 years. Maximum regrowth happened at 2 months and never increased after that. I can’t see any ab hair unless I skip shaving for a week and it is very fine, I would describe it as fuzz.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

I believe the laser is only as good as the practitioner. I have worked with the the YAG as well as the aurora which are in my opinion all very effective.

I believe the laser is only as good as the practitioner. I have worked with the the YAG as well as the aurora which are in my opinion all very effective.

What do you think of the Aurora for fine and light colored hairs? I had some success with it but maxed out to the point where I needed higher fluences than the Aurora can deliver. I found the Nd:YAG to work better on dark skin also.

Have you worked with the Comet? My practitioner is considering one. It uses diode laser instead of IPL and has twice the power both optical and RF.

RJC2001

RJC, I know for me the jury’s still out on the effectiveness of the Comet. One thing’s for sure, it takes a lot longer for the RF effect to shed. Some parts, like a 8" x 5" inch oval on the front of my thighs that are constantly rubbing against clothes, have lost almost all hair, but other parts just haven’t seemed to shed that much at all. The doctor made it clear that I need to give it a month, and as you pointed out on the Syneron website, the delay in shedding shouldn’t be confused with ineffectiveness. It’s only been two weeks, but I just wish I could come to a conclusion as the next treatment is coming up on June 6th. I’m shaving every day between these treatments and I wonder if that helps, hurts, or has no effect on shedding. It seems if the hair was left alone, it would leave a sort of handle to get pulled out more effectively, but I don’t want to deal with stubble. It’ll probably be like that one guy posted, shedding on the first treatment took forever, but immediately after the second treatment, the shedding seemed to progress at a much higher rate. I’l keep posted on it. Later.

Mantaray

It’s only been two weeks, but I just wish I could come to a conclusion as the next treatment is coming up on June 6th. I’m shaving every day between these treatments and I wonder if that helps, hurts, or has no effect on shedding. It seems if the hair was left alone, it would leave a sort of handle to get pulled out more effectively, but I don’t want to deal with stubble. It’ll probably be like that one guy posted, shedding on the first treatment took forever, but immediately after the second treatment, the shedding seemed to progress at a much higher rate. I’l keep posted on it. Later.

Mantaray

Thanks for the update. Delayed shedding is normal for the Comet, Aurora, and even for the Nd:YAG lasers. I find that shaving does help the shedding, but only if you use a blade. Electrics don’t have any effect on shedding. With the Nd:YAG, my beard sheds within two weeks, but the hair is very coarse. With finer hair, like on the arms and legs, shedding may take longer. With the Aurora, shedding took a month or longer. Shedding with the Comet may not take as long as the Aurora. I don’t know what the optimum interval is for Comet treatments on the legs.

Since you got some results on the first treatment, I would definitely go for the second one.

RJC2001