Would you trade one year of your life?

I came across an article about how many women would trade a year of their life to have their ideal body weight and shape. This got me to thinking, would anyone here trade a year or more of their lives in order to have normal body hair? In my case, I think I would trade a good ten years, lol.

"Almost one-third of young women would trade at least a year of their lives to have a perfect body, according to a new survey of British undergraduates.

The survey found that 16 percent of young women queried said they’d trade a year of life for their ideal body weight and shape. Ten percent were willing to trade two to five years, and 2 percent were willing to trade up to 10 years of life away. One percent said they would give up 21 years or more."

More of the article… http://www.livescience.com/13574-women-trade-life-thin.html

Why not?

I’ve already traded so many hours of my life thinking about hair and trying to keep hair free, I think it must be a year by now, anyway… :frowning:

Yes my life is worthless right now, a chance to be completely hairless is my dream!!!

Heck yeah, given how much time hair removal takes. Trade a year at the end for looking better and feeling better when I’m in my prime? Where do I sign? :wink:

Of course, by the time I am done, I’ve probably spent over a year dealing with my stupid hair.

hell id take way more than one year off

This thread is the reason that I find electrolysis so fulfilling.

Happily!

sure I would.

I’d trade another year for something else but that’s not part of this forum lol.

In a heartbeat.

I would give up a year of my life to live free of the hair that had made my life miserable. That would be when I am old anyway, right?

Thank goodness I no longer have as much of a problem anymore.

I would definitely trade a year of my life to be hair-free. I haven’t posted here in quite a while, but I’ve been feeling really depressed lately because my facial hair problem continues to worsen as the years go by.
I’ve been going to electrolysis for 20 years. My facial hair problem is 100 times worse than it was when I first started going to electrolysis when I was in my mid-30s. (I first started having problems with facial hair when I was in my mid-20s, but it was manageable for a number of years by just waxing and plucking.)
In the beginning the hair was confined to my chin and upper lip. I had my lip waxed once a month and had my chin hair done once a week. (With plucking in between. I tried trimming, but I can’t stand walking around with dark stubble showing.) After an electrolysis appointment I’m usually OK for 48 hours maximum, but then I find I have to start plucking again. I have scarring and hyper-pigmentation so I wear lots of cover-up makeup on my chin area during the day. (I avoid swimming because the water would wash off the cover-up and expose the red sores I have from picking the little scabs, as well as the scarring and hyper-pigmented areas.) After a number of years the hair on my chin got worse and started growing down my neck. I now have coarse hair growing on my cheeks, my lip area needs to be waxed at least every two weeks and I continue to get my chin done once a week.
I have been to a few different endocrinologists over a period of 15 years. I am in the process of getting another appointment booked in the near future. I am freaking out about the coarse hair growth on my cheeks. The electrolysis I’ve had so far on my cheeks is causing the skin to have a bumpy appearance (like my chin) and I have two areas where an ingrown hair has caused problems with resultant scabbing.
My hormone levels have been checked and re-checked many times. I’ve been told that my levels are “slightly elevated,” but not enough for a diagnosis of PCOS. I’ve been told that I have Idiopathic Hirsutism (IH) and that it’s most likely a hereditary problem. (It’s also related to the particular ethnic group I belong to.) I do know that it’s hereditary because my grandmother definitely had a facial hair problem. I remember feeling her whiskers when I used to give her a kiss on the cheek. I remember that it used to always freak me out when I was younger. I wondered why Grandma had whiskers on her face. The next related incident took place when my grandmother was in the hospital and dying. She had been in the hospital for three weeks and I distinctly remember being horrified when I saw she had grown a full beard and mustache during that time. I asked my mother about it and she said that it was due to the effects of her medication. (I would later learn that this was not the case. My mother didn’t want to tell me the truth at the time. I guess she was trying to spare me from knowing that Grandma had a beard.)
One of my deepest fears in life is that when I get older I won’t be able to “control” my facial hair problem any longer – due to illness or some other malady – and that I’ll be growing a beard when I’m on my death bed and terrify my grandchildren. I have been to an endocrinologist on at least four occasions about my problem as well as dermatologists. I have been repeatedly told that “THERE IS NO CURE,” and that all the various methods of hair removal are only temporary at best. Some last a little longer than others, but eventually the hair all grows back.
The problem also gets worse as you get older. I can attest to that fact. I’ve had excess body hair problems since I was 10 years old. I had to start shaving my legs at 10 years of age because I had thick dark hair on one of my legs from wearing a cast when I broke my ankle skiing. I couldn’t walk around with my one dark hairy leg, so I had to start shaving at a very young age. I also had lots of dark and coarse pubic hair (by the age of 14 years old), underarm hair, etc. I also have long thin dark hairs on my nipples. These areas of hair growth used to bother me, but not now. It’s nothing compared to the facial hair. That’s the worst by far! I sometimes think that I would give a year of my life if I could go away, hide somewhere, and devote every single day to getting rid of my facial hair for good. I’ve often wondered if this would work (i.e., if I got electrolysis done every single day for one year). I’ve also read that electrolysis and laser treatments can sometimes cause even more hair growth – causing a hyper-growth sort of situation. I sometimes feel that is what is happening to me.
I’m just feeling really depressed right now because of the hair growth spreading to my cheek areas. I’m horrified that the skin on my cheeks will soon look like the skin on my chin. In the past I’ve always calmed myself down by saying “at least I don’t have any coarse hair on my cheeks,” but now I do. So in answer to your question… “Yes, I’d definitely give up a year of my life to be hair free.” I currently spend about $130 a month on hair removal as well as countless hours spent driving to and from electrolysis treatments, plucking my hair in between and applying cover-up makeup to chin and cheek areas. I figure that I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the course of 20 years.
Thanks for letting me unload.

@Neily wow i’m having reservations on getting my first electrolysis treatment now. Can u please check my post and see if i should get it? http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/96444.html#Post96444

I would really appreciate it if i could get some feedback from a client such as yourself.

I would give 1 yr of my life towards the end of my life but now when i’m in my 20s … I’m kinda scared that electrolysis might make my upper lip fuzz worse.

I see many women is a similar situation, and electrolysis does work on them very well. No side effects. It’s doable, and not such a big deal from an electrologist’s perspective. But you need to do this right.

First and foremost, stop plucking! Shave and cover up with makeup, if you need to. If you follow the process, pretty soon, you will not need to shave anymore. I haven’t seen your skin reaction, so I cannot comment on that, but try different electrologists in your area to compare. Try to get a full clearance as soon as possible, and then, maintain it with electrolysis. It may be a bigger investment of time and money upfront, but this is the way that you will be rid of the hair. Don’t repeat the routine of plucking and going for small cleanups with electrolysis, because you will be left with the same bad results. Seriously. You can do it. It’s not such a big deal. I’ve treated the biggest and hardest male and female beards you can imagine. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Thank you for your advice, but I just can’t put a razor to my face. I just can’t. I am so afraid of my hair problem getting worse if I do that. My electrologist also told me not to shave. She did recommend clipping. I tried that but I can’t stand walking around with black nubs showing on my face. As soon as I see a black nub or stubble on my face I pluck it out. I have very high quality aesthetician tweezers. (They cost $35.00.) Sometimes the tweezers work too well and I end up tearing the skin and pulling a bit off. Then I have to pull away the excess skin for the area to be smooth. I also get small scabs from plucking. I keep pulling off the scabs because they look so bad and to help my skin look smoother. This creates the red areas that I use cover-up on. I also use cover-up so the hyper-pigmentation doesn’t show as much.
I also wanted to emphasize that all I keep hearing from my endocrinologists and dermatologists is that THERE IS NO CURE and that the various ways to remove hair are, at best, temporary in nature. Some last longer than others, and there may be a reduction (or increase!) in hair. The last endocrinologist I saw said that they’ve had “poor results” for the effectiveness of laser hair removal and that electrolysis is a way to control the hair more. (Just to control it, not get rid of the hair forever.) In otherwords, I received a very poor prognosis. If I did have PCOS it appears that the doctors have more of an arsenal they can use to treat the condition. Since I don’t have PCOS none of the medications seem to work. (I’ve also tried different medications that have had absolutely no effect.) I am not the only one who has gone to my electrologist for 20 years. I know of at least two of her other clients who have been going for almost as long as I have. I met one of the clients – she’s 75 years old now – She started 7 years after me. She asked how long I had been having the treatments and was shocked when I said 7 years. Now 13 years later she’s still having electrolysis done on a regular basis. (The electrologist visits her at home since she’s too old and frail to drive now.) I asked my electrologist if she ever does treatments in hospital and she says she has in the past. I always worry that I’ll end up in the hospital and not be able to to anything to control the hair growth. It’s good to know that she would come to the hospital if I needed it. I have also made a pact with my husband and four sisters. If I ever get to the point when I can no longer take care of my facial hair problem, they said they’d look after it for me. (Either get the electrologist to come to the hospital or shave me if all else fails in the end.) I get depressed just thinking about it.

Hi Neily,

You have been going to electrolysis for 7 years.
You are tweezing between treatments.
You do not want to shave between treatments.

Have any areas been completely cleared?
Is it possible for you to limit your treatments to just one tiny area
until it is complete and then you can move on to another area of your face?

Tweezing or waxing is not compatible with electrolysis. There is no sense doing electrolysis if you do anything that pulls out the hair.

Short term, focus on a smaller area like Arlene suggested. Good things happen in baby steps.

Long term, try to convince your sisters to learn about electrolysis and develop a buddy system. Better yet, consider becoming electrologists so you can help each other get control of any hair problems, assuming at least one of your sisters has unwanted hair they want removed. If they don’t have a problem, maybe one of them would just want to help you get to a happier level.

What a story you tell. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Starting off by tackling a small area sounds like a good idea. Perhaps if I try not to tweeze one corner of my chin and just trim it with scissors, it might work. I’ll seriously consider it.
I’m actually quite meticulous about taking care with how my chin, neck and cheek areas look. But I do this by tweezing, waxing and electrolysis (which I’ve been going to for 20 years, not just seven).
One of my doctors commented that it really wasn’t noticeable that I had a problem – that I did a good job in masking it. But I have to be super vigilant about it. The longest I can go is 48 hours without doing any plucking or tweezing. This is the time period I let elapse before each weekly electrolysis session. (I don’t do any plucking or tweezing 48 hours prior to an appointment.) I also apply cover-up to my chin and upper neck area and a few spots on my cheeks every morning.
The ideal condition for me personally would be to live very close to an electrologist and get treatments every two days without fail. (Even over holiday periods.) Then I wouldn’t feel the overwhelming urge to tweeze or pluck. I feel I could refrain from doing it for two days maximum.
I’ve tried doing this a few times on my own. I scheduled appointments for three times a week and just trimmed the hair in between sessions. However, things always screwed up because I would end up being late for work so often because of bad traffic. (I would have to get up extra early and drive north for 20 minutes and then backtrack to get downtown, which would take three times as long because of rush-hour traffic.)
I also travel overseas about three times a year with my husband and I always run into a “hair problem” there because I can’t get to an electrologist, so I end up tweezing and plucking more. My electrologist also goes on vacation with her family about twice a year for two weeks. This means she’s not available for electrolysis appointments during this time, so I also tweeze and pluck more on those occasions.
I can sympathize with some comments another woman made – perhaps in another forum here – regarding how she hates summer because she always wears clothing to cover her arms and legs and it’s hot. My arms aren’t a problem, but my legs are. (Lots of dark coarse hair and varicose veins.) I haven’t worn shorts in over 20 years and also stay away from dresses and bathing suits. I wear pants or jeans all summer long. (Fortunately, I can wear short-sleeved shirts since I don’t have a hair problem on my arms.) If I wore cooler clothing I would have to shave my legs every day because I have a “5 o’clock shadow” of stubble 24 hours later. I have had to shave my bikini area since I was 14 years old. It never looked good. I could always see some dark stubble and tried to cover that area with a towel wrapped around me at all times.
I’m hoping that during my upcoming appointment with the endocrinologist that he might be able to share some new treatments that might be available.

After reading Neily’s above post, I find it discouraging. Twenty years of electrolysis? And, no results? What do the professional electrologist think of this? This does not give electrolysis a good name!

Other than a guy with an untreated testosterone problem that was triggering every follicle to be recruited to grow hair, I have never had a person who needed more than two years to finish hair removal.

OK, there are some women who have situations where they recruit something like, 3 hairs per square inch every 3 months, but they only need a 15 minute treatment, once every 3 months, unless they get the cause of their problem treated.

In most cases, I can’t see how one could treat one area for 20 years, unless one were not clearing the area, or one was not accomplishing good treatments.