Would you have electrolysis treatments at a training school?

A local college near me is offering electrolysis at a great price because students will be carrying out the treatment. The students would be fully supervised, but I’m still wary about letting them loose on my face! Would I be better off going to someone with years of experience?

i had the option of getting treated by stdents at a local school but i figured my face deserved the more expensive treatment as it is a sensitive area and the first time electrolysis would be done there. i dont konw, its your call. i figured for a very small area or for future touch ups. you could do the school thing. but for more complicated , sensitve areas, you might want someone who is more experienced and who is fast at their work.

good luck.

If you have the option, experience is best, however, if you really have more time than money, the school option is one to consider. Just keep in mind, students would be learning on you. Some of them have only been working at this for days, or weeks. (don’t trust when they tell you that only people who have come to the end of the course are allowed to work on the public as that is just something they tell you to lull you)

I do know of people who have had lots of work done, and a fraction of the cost by becoming the local school pin-cushion/dartboard.

How much does electrolysis at these schools charge? I seriously cringe at the money I have to spend/hr. If anyone knows of any in the orange county area please post!

N333

Hi:

I personally would not. I would prefer someone with experience working on me, especially on the face. I would not like to take a chance there.

Saving money is not as important to me as getting the job done right and not risking damage to my face.

Alicia

if no one posts an answer to your question, N333, you could try calling a local electrologist to ask if there are any schools in the area.

Cost of student treatments vary from school to school.

Gone are the days when one could pay $10 per hour for student work, however, I do believe that some schools are charging $30 to $40 per hour. Some might charge less, some might charge more. Some give treatment away for free, in exchange for signed wavers and a promise to come on schedule so the students get to actually work on one person from start to finish, or the duration of their course.

My third and last electrologist charged me $45 an hour and refused to accept tips (which I hated offering anyway, but just thought was courteous and to be expected). She thought that charging more than $45 an hour was unfair as was taking tips considering how long of a time commitment it takes!!! And she was experienced too, having been doing this for 15 years and usually fully booked on weekends when I wanted to get treated (which is a good sign).

Even more surprising, she always gave me at least 15 mins extra treatment at the end of every visit! Anyway, being a hairy guy, I decided electrolysis was almost useless for my purposes based on combined results I had with three experienced electrologists over two years.

So, if students charge $40 an hour, its definitely not worth it IMO. Every major city should have cheap, but experienced electrologists if you look around.

And IMO again, if you are female with light skin and a lot of dark hair, try laser first as I have read about many many success stories on various forums. Also think about trying hormone treatments if you have PCOS as it can give great results.

If you have PCOS you MUST address the hormone issue for more reasons than hair problems.

If working on the face, experience is the way to go.

As for costs of treatment. Any business person will tell you that overhead has a lot to do with prices.

If you have an electrolysis office set up that you bought off ebay for $500, and work out of a spare room in a house someone else provides, and pays the utilities, and you have no real expenses for living, you can afford to charge little of nothing for your work.

Those who must cover start ups that cost tens of thousands of dollars, while also paying rent, utilities, and feeding their babies must charge real world rates. (electrologists could charge much less if people did not “Shoplift their time” by making appointments, and no showing without payment or giving them time to rebook the slots)

Thanks for the response, everyone. I think I’ll give the students a miss and stick to an experienced electrolysis. I’m a bit short of cash at the moment so the training school seemed an idea solution, but like someone else said it’s probably best not to take the risk!

I think you are wise to be careful when it comes to students working on your face. When I was a student, we were only allowed to work on clients body hair for the most part. We charged anywhere from $8-$12 for a half hour session. Toward the end of the program I got to do another students upper lip for only a short time and that was it! I really felt short-changed for not having had the opportunity to become more comfortable with facial work, so I practiced on friends and family after I got my license until I felt my comfort levels were up to par.

That was just my situation. Hopefully, other electrolysis schools guide students into the facial aspects of hair removal carefully and with more attention than I or my fellow students got. If the scene is different at a school close to you and an instructer is watching and mentoring the student along the way, then this may good for you, that is if the price is right also.

Im currently coming to the end of my electrolysis course here in the UK.

I started on legs and arms and then they allowed me to work on the face. It is quite scary when you are still learning but i seem to be given a free reign to decide where i want to work.

Personally i would not want a student to work on my face but i have 4/5 regular clients who i practise on.