Why isn’t there an easy solution to permanently remove body hair in 2019?

Is it because creating a permanent solution would shut down big industries & prevent them from receiving billions of dollars in profits?

Several years ago, a small biotech company (SIRNA?) was working on a method to interfere with the messenger of the cell, RNA, that affects hair growth. They figured out the biology of how to do this, but couldn’t figure out a good delivery system. Merck came by and bought SIRNA and diverted funds to cancer research and other life threatening diseases.

Hair is a tough enemy to kill, on par with many cancers. It’s not all about profits. Things change all the time as research gets better. Some products rise and some fade away or are replaced with something better, but there must be an incentive to discover. If an easier method for permanent hair removal was invented that cost less and was easy to use in your own home, some corporation would grab it up and be on the winning side (profits) and some corporations would be on the losing side. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s age old and is just part of human nature as we strive to improve our existence.

The same reason there is no easy way to cure the common cold, cancer, HIV, mental illness, etc: Nature rebuilds, it is resilient, complex, and adaptable. Many of the antibiotics we have today are useless against bacteria that have developed resistance. Embracing conspiracy theories without evidence is an exercise in futility.

Most easiest explanation is that there aren’t millions of dollars being pumped into hair removal research for scientists to divert their talents from disease research. Hair loss treatment is a bigger market and gets more focus but even that hasn’t seen major progress beyond lab experiments.

In my opinion, Electrolysis/thermolysis is a quite easy solution : safe, effective, with no long term side effects… the main issue is education…

1 Like

I don’t know about that. Yes electrolysis is definitely effective with consistent treatments, but I’ve had about 8 pricy treatments on my underarms & upper lip. Although there’s a significant reduction, some hair is still coming back & I’m still undergoing monthly treatments. Electrolysis is also extremely pricey & very time consuming for larger areas. There has to be a better way in the future.

The total time of treatment and the fees depend on several factors, mainly on the practicionner.

Electrolysis normally takes 12-18 months to complete. It sounds like you want the process to move faster, but it is physiologically impossible. If you are not motivated nor financially prepared to see the process through to completion, you are not a good candidate for electrolysis.

I tell my clients to say, " a NEW group of hairs have popped up" and not to say, something like, “the hair has come BACK” because that is not an accurate happening . We are dealing with hair growth cycles. We can’t mark hairs to keep track of which ones have come to the surface the very first time and which ones were treated three months ago and have returned. We assume that any hair treated by electrolysis is gone forever - it does not come back - because we disable the follicle at the first encounter.

If a client says “the hair is back” , I correct them immediately, with respect and politeness, and ask them how do they know the hair we already treated is back? If I pull a weed in my garden, do I assume that the same weed is back next time I pull weeds in my garden?

A lot of this myth is perpetuated by some electrologists who tell their clients that they need to treat the hair several times to gradually weaken the hair. If a hair is not thoroughly (permanently) treated the first time, that’s disappointing and unacceptable, however, we are only human and sometimes an insertion can be off and stem cells can be left behind, thus a hair may return as a much smaller , weaker hair than the original hair. This shouldn’t happen to a great extent though.

Electrolysis can be pricey and time consuming, but it works. Pricey and time consuming is relative to the job at hand. A really hairy man back, shoulders and upper arms can take as long as 250 hours until the job is finished. My last case like this 242 hours, but he was finished in 14 months because he put time into this project heavily for the first six months. A woman’s upper lip hair can take about 6 hours, spread out over 12-14 months. Some hormonally stimulated areas like a woman’s chin needs 13-20 hours in total over 9-18 months, but there can be hairs stimulated every year for the rest of her life that require quick cleanups 1-4 times a year.

Why does this information matter? We have to be honest and expect what is possible in a reasonable time frame.The good news is, electrolysis works for every hair color, every hair structure on every color of skin. It is the only thing that works 100%. It is an invest that keeps on giving. If paying $1,500 to have coarse hair permanently removed from a woman’s PCOS chin, neck and lip is considered expensive and time consuming, then what is getting a college degree or coloring and cutting your hair every six weeks or buying a car or making a house payment? Most of these expenses go on and on forever. Electrolysis does not go on and on forever, unless there is a hormonal issue, but even then, we only have so many follicles. Once a bunch of follicles are treated in an area, you eventually run out of hair follicles to treat. So, it’s not so depressing and long term as many think.