Why is it so expensive?

The technicians are seldom trained well, and even if they are, they are no doctors.

The process is short and requires little more than pointing a laser and setpping on a pedal, and the whole chest area takes less than 30 minutes.

Yet, prices are insanely high and are usually in the hundreds and thousands… Laser doesnt even GUARANTEE any results and it is still experimental, and sometimes dangerous.

Why so expensive??

The cost of a GOOD Laser is very high.I took a large loan out and took out a lease for 4 years.
The Insurance skyrockets for us just as much then for doctors since there are not many who are willing to cover Laser hairremoval.The consumables on Laser is also nothing to spit on.My Laser uses little windows(about the size of a dime) to defuse the Laser 10.-a piece and they need to be changed to ensure proper treatment.This is only a part of my cost.I am selfemployed and also go for additional Training wich I pay for and the days I am gone no money comes in.Would you like to more info?

It was only recently that a laser machine cost less than $100k. And that’s just the expense of the machine itself.

Hello, its basic econ - if you make it affordable, more people with take the risk - from what i’ve read here the results seem to be the same as waxing - except for the “perfect canidates” which seem to be rare

Bring the price down, you will have many more customers to pay for the cost of your equipment and insurance - You will have sooo many people and no time to do anything else.

$100 dollars for 30 mins work, thats $1600 a day, we’ll say 6 days a week $9600 a week, $38,400 a month, $460,800 a year.

Turn that around, buy a few more machines for your office - You would be a millionaire in 4 yrs.

Greed is a terrible thing - Bring the cost down for your sake and ours

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by hairbegone:
<strong> from what i’ve read here the results seem to be the same as waxing - except for the “perfect canidates” which seem to be rare</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>what in the world are you talking about? while it’s true that laser doesn’t work for everyone, there are plenty of people who’ve had excellent results (including several on this board).

a friend of mine has had 6 treatments with lightsheer on her legs. it’s been a year since the last one, and her legs are almost perfectly smooth. there are a few fine, light hairs on her thighs, but they are so light that she doesn’t even bother shaving them. ever seen waxing yield these sorts of results?

people are awfully quick to complain about laser, but if you look carefully at many of their quibbles, you’ll see that most had completely unrealistic expectations. sure, there are laser practitioners out there who promise to get rid of 100% of the hair. people believe these lies and spend small fortunes on treatment. but really, whose fault is that? if you’re willing to risk $2,000 on something that’s not guranteed to work, then you should be prepared to lose that money. it’s your responsibility to do the research yourself. isn’t that why we’re here?

as for the costs, i feel that laser is well worth the money. i’m very happy with my results so far, and have no regrets about parting with the cash. i’m a poor full-time student. i work nights to pay my rent and tuition. by the end of my laser treatment, i will have spent almost £2000. if the hair grows back 6 months later, i will stomp around and scream for a while and then try something else. i will have no right to complain because i knew the risks involved.

r.c.

I agree, laser costs are way to high. I’m not complaining because the tech I go to charges very little. He has the GentleLASE Plus, and since the clinic is in the middle of nowhere, he draws people to his clinic by his lower prices. I am getting my Chest, lower neck, stomach, upper arms, and shoulder blades done for a starting price of $300. Most places you’d be lucky to get one treatment under $1000 for that area. The great thing is the cost per treatment goes down each time you go, for example, I paid 300-250-200-150-100, and treatments after your fifth are free as long as the hair grows back.

I see all of the prices of lasers in other regions and it makes me want to cry for you poor souls who have to pay that much. It truly is a ripoff. My tech is making due with his cheap prices, why can’t everyone else?

As to the comment that it takes relatively no skill to achieve, I agree. You must know the basics of the power level and what not, but after five treatments I am positive I could treat someone. All he does is puts the piece on the skin, waits for it to charge up and zap, then he moves over a half of inch and does it again. It’s really not difficult.

Friends,

The cost has nothing to do with the laser itself, rather it is determined by what people are ready to pay. And people who want to get rid of wanted hair are ready to pay.

I live in Canada. Most non-essential goods are more expensive here than in the States, so I think that someting like a LighSheer Diode laser would cost a bit more than in the USA. Yet the laser treatments are much cheaper – because people have less money!

I pay CAD 280 for a full beard and neck treatment done by a very skilled RN. Approximately USD 210. I assume that it would be even cheaper in Mexico, South America or Eastern Europe.

But you know what else is cheaper in Canada… office rent, employee saleries, probably insurance costs, and probably Laser maintanaince costs. Don’t you think that rent in a place like Manhattan is about 50 times more than some rural part of Canada? Your theory is only partialy true.

[ May 23, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: redhead ]

to hair be gone.
You know there are laser places like the one you are asking for already out there.
I believe in taking my time to give a perfect
treatment without burning my Patients who trust me.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by mike2003:
<strong>The cost has nothing to do with the laser itself, rather it is determined by what people are ready to pay. And people who want to get rid of wanted hair are ready to pay.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Being a good capitalist, I largely agree with what you’ve said. :grin:
However, I think this post also goes a long way towards explaining the high costs of any new medical treatment in the United States. There is no personal responsibility, and people are very quick to file lawsuits.