Why do you get ingrowns from electrolysis?

I have been having electrolysis- Shortwave on my neck line and face and have found that I have started to get some ingrowing hairs around my neck line. Why does this happen??? Is there anything I can do to prevent them? I have started using tend skin- I have only used it for two days. Not seeing anything yet. I have never suffered with ingrowing hairs then again I was not having electrolysis then. I exfoilate once a week and use tea tree oil everyday on my skin. Could someone advise me please-getting quite worried. I dont want to stop going for electrolysis but then again I don’t want to end up with ingrowing hairs.

My guess would be that the ingrown hairs might be hairs that have been treated with electrolysis and were made weaker by the treatment. Now that they are trying to grow back, they may not be strong enough to push through the skin anymore. I really don’t know for sure, but it seems like a logical explaination (to me anyhow :roll_eyes: ).

Maybe your electrologist can help to safely lift them out if they don’t surface on their own.

I don’t think it is normal to get ingrown hairs from electrolysis. If the hair follicle is destroyed it would be imposssible for the hair to grow into the skin. Plus usually the hairs are removed after the follicle is treated, unless you are having Ultralysis, which is discussed in a recent post.

What is your electrologist say about the ingrowns? I say if they are in fact ingrowns and not something else you are being undertreated.

RJC2001

Hi HM
Based on what i learned on this website, the reason of ingrowing hair is tweezing or waxing, so my conclusion is that (maybe) the person who’s treating you, isn’t doing it right and the electrologist is only tweezing your hair.
Also dragonfly explanation sound logical.
I guess the best is to wait for an electrologist the answer this question.

I don’t have time to go into this with the usual long winded booklike post (as you all hang your heads and say Aww Shucks) but there are many reasons one could have ingrown hairs around electrolysis treatments, most of which don’t have much, if anything to do with the electrolysis. On the other hand, if the electrolysis is the reason, you either have the situation mentioned where the hair is regrowing, but not strong enough to break the skin, or your hairs broke off beneath the skin during past epilation attempts, and then continued to grow beneath the skin’s surface. This would be an indicator of bad treatment. Now, remember that I said that most of the reasons you could have ingrown hairs in an area where electrolysis is going on are not the electrologist’s fault. This is just one example that would be the electrologist’s fault.

Thanks for the response guys much appreciated. I think this tiny ingrowns are from the hair being so fine and thin that they are unable to surface the skin. I have been using tend sking for a couple of weeks and all I can say is this stuff works. I have changed my electrologist too who is very hot on ingrowns. So I will wait and see what happens after a couple of treatments with her.