Which hormones Should I get checked?

Hello All,
I need your help. I dont have much idea on what hormones can i get checked for excess hair growth?

I am recently getting electrolysis done on face. But I have lots of hair grown since last 7-8 years especially on my upper body including face and on neck. I have light skin with dark hair. So i was wondering if its hormones. I will get my hormones check but lack info and input on what exactly I should ask for to get checked?

According to my search in this forum: its testosterone, androgens and I dont know what else?
I dont even know if androgens can be checked or how it will be checked?? Then if its hormones then what should I do next…

Please help

[ April 24, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Analyzer ]

Many times I ask people to get checked for hormonal disorders. I don’t always know if they follow my advice, but if you have any grounds to suspect a hormonal issue, you should definitely follow up on it. You have nothing to loose, and you have (sometimes) your life to gain, if they find something, and you have tranquility to gain if they don’t. Good luck and I hope you will gain tranquility.

Your doctor may evaluate you for reproductive, hormonal and cardiovascular disorders. He or she will obtain a history of your symptoms and perform a complete physical examination, including a pelvic examination.

Blood tests may be required to measure levels of several hormones. These may include testosterone, DHEA and androstenedione, LH, FSH, progesterone, prolactin and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which triggers the release of thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland. As well, these tests will likely measure fasting glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Your doctor may request an ultrasound to check the thickness of the lining of your uterus (may need to flush it), and check for cysts on the ovaries (not an accurate factor for diagnosis).

Finding a good doctor who will be sympathetic to your problem (which you have a good chance of not having, but I’m saying this for others who might benefit) and competent in treating it is not less important as finding a good electrologist. (Reproductive) endocrinologists are most closely related to these problems, should someone have it. Don’t necessarily stay with you family doctor for this, s/he will likely refer you anyway. An ob/gyn is not likely to refer you to anyone else, because they should also be competent in this. If you don’t like on doctor, try another, try to get referrals.

Best of luck!

[ April 25, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: yb ]

Ok. I am a man. Your answer it too technical for me. Here in India, its convenient for me to have tests of particular hormones rather than get it evaluated from a doctor. I will try to see if there is an endocrinologist here or where I can find one. I dont see any endocrinologist listed in yellow pages in India… what else is the doctor that checks for hair problem called??

Specific to male… which Hormones should i get tested?