Where to place the indifference electrode?

Hello, I’ve been busy reading lots of the great articles on here, it’s brilliant that there is so much info and expertise all in one place, thankyou.
I’m looking into purchasing an older blend machine. although I would like to remove some hairs on my face I thought I would start on my lower legs - I realise body hair can be different to that on the face but I figure it’s a good starting point to get some practise at inserting the probe, establishing probe depth and working out baseline settings etc…
Question one:
Is it possible to place the indifference electrode somewhere other than in my hand E.g. under the armpit ? to allow me to work with both hands ?
Question two:
Some machines have a switched needle holder whilst others have a foot pedal- is one easier to operate as a complete beginner?

I greatly appreciate any feedback given,
Many thanks :blush:

1 Like

I used to regularly shove the indifferent electrode into my waistband when I was doing treatments on myself. This worked fine, it just needs to be skin to electrode contact. One downside is the neutral electrode is soaked in salt -water brine so this would mae my pants waist wet.
I prefer foot pedal and have never used a probeholder switched version.

Aww thankyou for the quick reply… in the waistband sounds great :grinning:
so does wetting the electrode in salty water make the galvanic side of it more effective ?
(I have been having professional electrolysis, blend, in my face but the electrode has never been wet before …)
:blush:

the salt-water assists in the conductivity of the electrode.Just wrap a bit of sponge with salt water or a paper towel similarly soaked around the electrode and you are good to go.

1 Like

I used an aluminum baking pan and sat on it nude for removing pubic hair with converted vector machine

I have been holding the negative electrode in the pit of my elbow and have completed the first couple of sessions. However I have now noticed a quite dark discoloration where the electrode is usually placed. Is this normal and should I switch up the placement from time to time? Any advise is appreciate. Thank you

Yes this can happen. Some alkalyne can form and discolour the skin. Be sure to liberally soak your sponge on the electrode in salt water to make a good connection, and wipe the area down after the session . I find it helpful to stick the electrode in a pants waistband to prevent having motion restrictions on my arm when doing electrolysis.

Yes this can happen. Some alkalyne can form and discolour the skin. Be sure to liberally soak your sponge on the electrode in salt water to make a good connection, and wipe the area down after the session . I find it helpful to stick the electrode in a pants waistband to prevent having motion restrictions on my arm when doing electrolysis.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the response, this is appreciated - I will follow your advice for next time to improve the process. One follow up question, when you say the alkalyne can form and discolour the skin, I presume this is temporary discolouration? Do you have a timescale on past experiences? Thank you again!

A dry electrode forces your machine to “up” the voltage a LOT (you’ll still get the same “amperage”). Hinkel contended that higher voltage creates a “sharper” DC … especially if there’s a sudden “on off.” I have found this to be true.

The hand-held electrode produces a very mild acid reaction. The alkaline reaction NaOH happens at the needle. The palm of your hand, because of the thicker skin and WAY more sweat glands, is nearly impervious to the acid reaction … except the little thinner creases at the joints … That’s why it’s best to hold the sponge cylinder and curl your fingers around it … and not lay your hand flat on the electrode.

Oye, you’ve placed your electrode on very sensitive skin … and you have evidence of the acid reaction: slight burn (probably only the corneum) and hyperpigmentation (stimulated the pigment cells at the base of the epidermis). Back of the knees or elbows are just about the worst places. Using salt water is said to help dissipate the reaction. However, don’t put the electrode on thinner more sensitive skin.

If you feel itching … get the thing off immediately; that’s the acid reaction. You can also use a little cream to help protect the skin. If you have a tiny cut or pimple all the DC current will go to that spot and really cause problems; instant pain. Your skin must be intact; not broken.

You could sit on the electrode too … butt skin is pretty tough. But, not “down the middle.” We want smiles not frowns.

4 Likes

The most effective place I have found, not surprisingly is mucosal surfaces. Ie if you put it in your mouth! You’ll get a funny taste though when you turn the dc on though

Thank you for taking the time to write out this detailed explanation and offering advice, please know this is highly appreciated. The last sentence gave me a good chuckle too and I will refrain from placing the electrode “down the middle” of my backside :smiley:

1 Like

For some odd reason, I’ve not yet lost my sense of humor. I hope this photo makes you laugh a little.

So, Alex decided that I have to start smoking pot (for the pain). Didn’t work … horrible. But for laughs we took this photo of me with my industrial vape Gen-Z marijuana device. I tossed it after this rotten experience.

In the old days, a few clients came in “stoned” on pot … to levitate the electrolysis pain. It absolutely did not work and made the treatment even worse. NO damned good for electrolysis pain. Don’t do it honey.

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re joking. The (mild) acid producing electrode in your mouth or other mucous membrane would render a rather tragic result. No mouth, no nostrils, no ear canals, no gonads or sexual organs, no lips or any other area lacking a good protective epidermis … unless a trip to the ER seems like a good idea.

Now, if you’re NOT joking … your post should be removed because what you’ve suggested is dangerous. Were a person to follow this suggestion and get burns in her mouth … Hairtell itself could be sued. I don’t want that to happen. Jokes are fine but not this one.

Hi Mike

May be palliative doctor or team can help control your pain through PCA or syring driver. In Australia, there are also home visit services for this.

Haven’t your doctor refer you to any palliative care medical team, I don’t know much how this is handling in USA.

Hope you find way to manage the pain soon,

Me too … so far all the doctors seem to be avoiding me … But yeah … some pain reduction would be rather nice. I’ll look into it … thanks.

palliative care santa barbara california - Google Search]]

Thanks everybody … everything is taken care of … no need for references … but thanks anyway.