When should you start seeing regrowth?

Thank you all for your answers! In looking at the area again, I actually think it’s less than 50% regrown… about 50% of the area is regrown, but the thickness is less. It can be hard to estimate, but I think it’s maybe closer to 30-40% regrown.

But thank you to everyone for your insight! I’m certainly sticking with electrolysis for the moment. :slight_smile:

Gosh Helen … think “comedy” think “caricature” … and having a bit of fun.

The point was about “tone” and the American tone is certainly different (way more abrupt and direct) than the British. I don’t think you would disagree with that … and that was the point; not the exact specific way that you and your colleagues speak.

I was sorry I didn’t add the way the “Aussies” might say it … so here goes.

Australian: … “Budd-ah!”

Gosh Helen … think “comedy” think “caricature” … and having a bit of fun.

The point was about “tone” and the American tone is certainly different (way more abrupt and direct) than the British. I don’t think you would disagree with that … and that was the point; not the exact specific way that you and your colleagues speak.

Of course, styles of speach differ in various parts of the US and in the UK too.

I was sorry I didn’t add the way the “Aussies” might say it … so here goes.

Australian: … “Budd-ah!”

Hey I’m not to sure how to start a new thread but I had electrolysis done last Tuesday on a few blonde hairs on my chin and a few dark and blonde ones on my neck. I still have a rash and red scabs. I’m a big sufferer of anxiety amounts other things and I’m so scared my face has been scarred. The last that done the electrolysis was registered, I checked up on this. I’m in the uk. I actually haven’t left my house since, I have been to the doctors and he have me antibiotics and and antibiotic cream. I followed correct after care. Can anyone please advice me.

Thanks in advance

I think I would know better than most that what Josefa provides is not the ‘norm’. I don’t think anyone except perhaps yourself has ‘told’ me this.

Since you seem to consistently misunderstand me, let me try again.

The response I gave to skydivingjess was for the ideal situation.

What is the ideal situation for 80% reduction from one clearance (in some areas like the area being discussed here)?
[*1] The area should be untouched for 3-6 months prior to treatment [confirmed by jess]. On the thighs this means that around 80% of total active follicles would have hairs in them.
[*2] All the hairs should be treated/cleared in the treatment area.
[*3] The electrologist kills all the treated follicles, or very close to all.

No 2 and 3 are why I stated in my post “So 3 months after a full clearance, there should only be around 15-20% of the original density IF all the hairs were cleared and all those treated follicles were killed.” Note the capital IF and the and.

Now, if the client observes a 50% reduction after 3 months, two things can be happening. Either the electrologist was unable to clear ALL the hairs (very understandable) or there is ‘true’ regrowth. It’s up to the client to figure out which it is.

If they observe the area a few days after treatment once the swelling has subsided and in actual fact 10%-20% of the hairs didn’t get treated, then they can more or less discount these hairs from what they observe at 3 months. If the area is completely devoid of all hairs after clearance, then at 3 months post treatment anything more than about 20% growth is regrowth. In the hypothetical 50% growth situation, that would mean 30% is regrowth… that means 3 out of every 10 follicles treated was not killed. It is up to the client to decide whether this is acceptable or not. Is this acceptable to me? No. Because I know from experience that it will take a very long time to complete treatment if the electrologist is not killing 30% of the hairs they treat every time. Every client of Josefa’s (and probably Michael’s for that matter) who previously had treatment elsewhere will know this very well. I’m sure like myself, others persevered with such treatment but once you’ve been at it for a year or two, it is VERY frustrating.

As I also mentioned, Josefa’s daughter who doesn’t have decades of experience behind her treated my sister’s legs with the same results Josefa would achieve. If a relatively new electrologist can do this on an “easy to treat” area like the legs, then I personally don’t ‘buy’ it that others can’t. As I’ve said countless times before, if clients keep paying for treatment where follicles are not being completely killed, they give the profession as a whole no reason to improve.

Finally, I would hazard a guess and say that Michael’s first clearance results are around 50% (or as he has said, higher in some areas), because he doesn’t treat every single visible hair in that first session as Jossie typically does. Not because there is any discrepancy in kill rates. So the situation is more ‘maintain and advance’ - not advance the area but advance in clearance. Please do correct me if I’m wrong Michael. Besides, Michaels assurance to complete the work in 3 clearances is what is important. Not some wishy-washy stuff about taking 18 months plus of regular treatments to complete an area, which I’ve heard at practically every consultation I’ve ever been to.

Following comment is not directed at anyone or any subject at all … it’s just that …

Sometimes I just feel like crying! And, today’s one of those days.

PLEASE! Read nothing into this … no covert meaning and no innuendo.

It does depend on whether you want to leave the hairs visable or have maintenance treatment. I would count myself as complete It’s been 5 weeks since my last treatment which was at the 1 year mark and I’ve not had a hair back yet :slight_smile: very happy the chest didn’t have any treatment last time so that was done before. I was told it would be 18 months to 2 years and maybe one may pop up but I’m going for upper lip now so if any thick ones do I’ll get them zapped.

I went for 10 minute sessions because I simply didn’t have the guts to walk around with chin hair on my face I plucked every 2 weeks prior to treatment around 2-3 hairs of my chin and it was a wake up call how many hairs there actually was going though treatment.

I sorry to say can come across as a shallow person I like to try to look my best I’m a very self conscious person who definitely upkeeps and calling for treatment and leave hair to grow a week before getting it zapped was upsetting enough for me not everyone is able to leave for 3 months.

It should not make the process any quicker in choosing that method it just means less but longer treatments both clients what ever method taken with a good electrolyisis should be complete by the same time. I should also imagine a similar price would be paid for the treatment. Such way of treating maybe OK for normal male hair like chest or even back if your wearing a t.shirt to hide bikini line area’s that are easier to hide for the year or so of treatment between treatments, but I think few women would choose such method for facial hair and prefer maintenance.

Electrolyisis will tend to quote the longest time they think it will make then they won’t have a disappointed customer assuming it will be complete by a certain time frame, if it comes in earlier then more the happier.

We also shouldn’t assume what way an electrolysis provides treatment without seeing the treatment or them saying its because they don’t clear every visible hair.

Just let it all out Mike. Harness the good and block the bad. Harness good, block bad :slight_smile:

You don’t need antibiotics or antibiotic cream. I’m surprised your doctor went this route. Totally unnecessary.

If you want to submit a picture, a QUALITY picture, that helps with communicating better with each other.

Did you consult your electrologist?

One thing we have stressed to electrolysis consumers is, you may have temporary skin reaction of edema (swelling) and redness. You mae have pin prick scabs. These could last for a week or two. It is the goal of every electrologist, to get you treated properly and to have as little skin reaction as possible. Give your electrologist feedback. If you are not happy, try other practitioners and compare.

Normal temporary skin reaction IS NOT SCARRING. If this is too discomforting for you, then go back to your temporary methods to control the hair, but keep in mind, temporary methods may worsen your hair problem.

When you should start seeing regrowth?

If you look closely you can see the new growth before 2 weeks after this clearance. As rightly said Stoppit, in your circumstances, the new growth should not exceed 15/20% of the treated hairs in the first clearance. This percentage of hairs appears before the scabs have fallen, and remains constant throughout the waiting time until the next clearance if any, and if the area is not subject to development of new hairs due to age. (as is your case). When I say constant, I mean constant. That 15/20% of hair is all that should be for the rest of your life. And the margins of the treated area should be differentiated from the rest, if the work was not fully ready.

Thanks, Josefa!

Why is it that electrologists often say that you don’t notice any difference until after the second clearance, then?

Really appreciate everyone’s input.

Math and I have never gotten along very well, so I’m not going to speculate on reduction percentages. I prefer to leave this task to the real experts in statistics. My job is to have the client convinced that things are working from the first minute. And this I am going to focus:

Let’s see what happened to this case. Although this is a low back, circumstances are exactly the same: untouched hairs for several months, full clearance, etc.

Before first clearance (July 2011). 2 hours of electrolysis. Area not completed.

Before second clearing (April 2014). Clear again and advance towards the margins:

Last week (September 2014).

I do not know if the reduction is 80, 60, or 50%, all I know is that this guy has not had to wait 18 months to see if the treatment was working. He knew this after the first two hours.

Because in some areas (underarms, pubis, beard) the hairs are so thick that they completely cover the area again, and the appearance is that all the hairs are back. That however should not happen in thighs that have not been touched for a year.

We have seen the nice side of the case. Consider now the not so nice side.

24 hours after the first hour of electrolysis: July 2011

Immediately after the second clearance. (April 2014)

TTT: 4 HOURS. Number of clearing: 2

Why I can not believe you this time? oh yes, because I have evidence that you not only can, but you do when circumstances are favorable, and the client cooperates.

Sometimes your honesty can only be surpassed by your modesty!

This really is a coincidence. Today I started the second clearance in women’s thighs. 29 years. We made the first complete clearance in early May 2014 The area was untouched many months before. I am waiting for her permission to share the photos.

Well. I just received permission.

Before first clearance. (May 2014)

Today, (September 2014). 4 months later.

At some point during the development of the first clearance.

Below. Today, after about 30 minutes of work in the second clearance.

When I have the total time of the second clearance, we can determine what was the % reduction.

Wow, that is amazing, Josefa–so inspiring! I have less hair than the original photo and so it’s perhaps harder to SEE the progress, but really, your client looks great. Very little regrowth, you’re right?

Could I ask you how many hours it took you for the first clearance?

Yes, I’ve never managed to complete underarms or pubic area in less than 3 clearing. My Stats exactly match yours, Michael.

Young woman in whom I am working her thighs for 3 days of this present week. Today we have also made the third clearance in armpits: This has been the progress so far.

November 2013 (Before):

May 2014 (before treatment):

September 2014 (before treatment):

Left:

More than 20 hours each. The right thigh took longer than the left.

1 Like