what to do before waxing.

I made an appointment for waxing for the first time in my legs.

Is there anything I should do to prepare?
Anything particular I should wear (are jeans & T-shirt ok)?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Just make sure you’re clean! I’d say shorts and a T-shirt. Or if you’re getting your entire leg waxed, you could wear a skirt so all you’d have to do is lift it a bit rather than take it all the way off. Flip flops are good – easy on, easy off.

(I’m assuming you’re a female).

Mainly it’s the after care you want to think about. Aloe is nice after a wax. Salicylic acid (a 1% or 2% BHA) will tame the redness in a hurry OR you can make a paste with aspirin and water and rub it on your legs. Depends how your skin reacts.

Good luck! :wink:

Dear jc jc,

After being in business for nearly 20 years, we have complied a thorough informational sheet for our clients and hope you find it useful. All of our clients fill out health history forms so all treatment suggestions are modified based on individual situations.

What you need to know about waxing…

Waxing: Men and Women

Facial hair needs to be at least 1/8” – Body hair needs to be 1/4”.

If you plan on bathing or showering prior to waxing, please do so at least 2 hours prior to waxing.

Afterwards: You might observe pinking of the skin, red bumps, ingrown hairs. It is rare to see a bruise or blister but if you are using blood thinners or even aspirin, or are menstruating or suffering from a vitamin or nutrient deficiency, bruising might be more apparent.

Aftercare: Avoid heat for 24 hours; this includes hot baths, sauna, steam baths, and exposure to strong UV lights or sun tanning treatments. Do not sun tan for 48 hrs. Do not apply highly fragranced products to waxed areas; this includes perfume/cologne, scented body lotions, anti-perspirant, cosmetics, feminine hygiene sprays. Avoid applying high SPF sun blocks to the waxed area for 24 hrs as sunscreen chemicals can be irritating to the newly waxed skin, this includes self tanning products and tan accelerators. Do not use harsh abrasives or exfoliants in the waxed area unless you are prone to ingrown hairs - then use your exfoliant once you begin to see the appearance of hairs growing back. Stop exfoliating 48 hrs before your next waxing appointment.

Some ingredients that help boost healing: aloe vera gel, tea tree oil, red raspberry and azulene.

For best results: repeat your professional waxing routine every 4 to 6 weeks and do not shave or use depilatories between visits.

Waxing clients, please note: no waxing inside of the nose and inside of the ears, no waxing eyelashes off, no waxing on: the actual nipple, warts, moles, sunburned skin, recent scar tissue, tattoos, around body piercings, over protruding or varicose veins, over open wounds, skin that is undergoing skin grafts or dermabrasion or being treated with AHA’s /glycolic acids 8% or higher, on herpes simplex, people with phlebitis or diabetes and those in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, and no waxing over an area that has had Botox injections within the past 72 hrs. Those who have recently received a chemical peel or had an invasive exfoliation procedure should wait 4 weeks before waxing. Those who have used Accutane must be off of the drug for 6 months before waxing can be done. Those who have used either Adapalene or Renova or Retin A must be free of those meds for 3 months before waxing can be done. Those using Tetracycline or other acne medications should not be waxed.

Well,

I didn’t see a reply soon enough and I wore jeans.

I’m not sure what happened, but I had this awful alergic reaction to the wax. My legs are now super itchy and I’m not sure what to do. I used witch hazel, which I read here helps, but I’m still itchy. I was thinking of buying hydrocortizone cream to help, is this a good idea? I’m trying really hard not to scratch, but sometimes I can’t help myself.

Arlene,
I’ll make sure to go see YOU next time coz the place I went to was awful. :frowning:

Wow Arlene, you are the thorough-est waxer I’ve ever heard of! :slight_smile: I don’t think most who do the waxing have a clue about the things you spoke of. Mine didn’t. But I didn’t have any reactions, so I didn’t think about it.

jcjc, I was reading on a website that you should always apply antiseptic cream after waxing and do it once a day.

Arlene, is Neosporin or Polysporin the thing to do? Or the hydrocortizone mentioned? What about the spray people use for sunburns (like SolarCaine?) Sounds miserable here. I didn’t need much, really. BHA (not AHA) was helpful to me.

BTW, Who would want to wax off eyelashes?!

cooled aloe vera gel helps with itching. But hydrocortisone cream is definitely best.

CoffeeGal,

To address your questions:

We only suggest aloe vera aftercare.

Every single place hair can grow, is a place clients have requested removal.

I am usually not the person who does the waxing but nevertheless, the detailed list is posted in the waxing area.
Although we have never had waxing complaints, our list is posted because the number 1 reason that a spa/salon is sued is from complications resulting from waxing.