What side-effect is this?

Hi fellow Hairtell users!

Long time lurker here, however, I have only just got round to creating an account and require some help/advice.

Background Info:
Cis Male, 24 Years Old
Started electrolysis to permanently remove my facial and neck hair due to getting fed up of continuously shaving and getting ingrown hairs, rashes etc.

Current treatment is thermolysis electrolysis, on an intensive plan. Full clearances are the norm - I usually have 3-4 hours a day, for 3 consecutive days (so 9-12 hours in total) every 5-6 weeks. I have full confidence and trust in my electrologist as she has extensive experience and knowledge in electrolysis treatment and is likewise very open and transparent with me about my treatment.

My electrologist uses the Apilus xCell machine with Protec disposable probes that are insulated with medical grade teflon. She also uses surgical loupes alongside a magnifying lamp. Furthermore, she recently acquired the Dectro Opti-Vizion Flip camera - this is important as I believe this emphasises their professionalism and commitment to electrolysis. Overall, the equipment used is top notch.

I started my electrolysis journey in December 2022 and to date have had approximately 35 hours of treatment. This treatment has been on my Face - mostly sideburns, cheeks and down to the jawline. As these areas have progressively taken less time to clear, we have moved onto my chin/area around my mouth. The first session where these areas were treated was mid-January 2023 (although not a full clearance by any means). Photos after this session are posted below.

After each session I have the usual side-effects which are to be expected after an area is fully cleared. Side effects include significant redness and swelling - I understand this is entirely natural, so I have no cause for concern with this. I usually have this redness and swelling for a good few days before it subsides and any signs of treatment fully disappear within a week. I understand that the chin and area around the mouth are a lot more sensitive and must be approached with greater caution (I am sure my electrologist knows this as she has mentioned this to me before).

Despite this, I am slightly concerned about some arising issues with my skin around my mouth and chin. The skin on my chin constantly looks red (underneath the skin) albeit it is not severe, it is still noticeable. It is a slightly different complexion to the rest of my face and was not like this before I started electrolysis. Note, I have never plucked or tweezed any hairs on my face or chin.

Around my mouth I have started to notice what I can best describe as ‘indents’. Again, although not severe compared to some other images I have seen on the internet, it is still noticeable to myself and others and I am worried it will progressively get worse. I have watched Mr Bono’s “The Healing Skin” series on Youtube - despite its extremely detailed, informative explanations, I am unsure what my side-effect could be classified as. Is it Orange Peel? Ultimately, I just want to know whether these side-effects will be permanent or will they disappear in due time. The images below were taken today - my last session was 2 weeks ago.

I guess I am just asking on here for some reassurance and advice on how to best proceed with treatment. Whilst my overall experience of electrolysis remains positive, these side-effects (on my chin and around my mouth) have made me reluctant to start treatment on my upper lip.

Apologies for the long post, I wanted to make sure I included all relevant information and every last detail. If you require any further information or have any questions, please feel free to post them and I will do my best to answer them.
Thank you in advance!

Jack

at just 3 months in, and into the healing stage, these indents are likely to be likely to be normal wound contraction. at the electrolysis site and should resolve completely given time to do so. No stress!
I’m not a fan of protec probes, they seem to result in weak or variable current due to their design, and have opted for ballet insulated one piece probes instead…

Seana

1 Like

Hi @Jack

Hope you are well and sorry to read your concerns about your electrolysis treatment. Thank you for providing that many details in your post, you seem really committed and informed. It would be really helpful if you could share how your skin is doing now. As well as which aftercare have you been using and what are your thoughts on that. I have also had electrolysis in the chin (one session, maybe around 30 minutes) and I see some similarities with the case that you describe. I only had one treatment but the texture of my chin skin is really not okay almost a week after treatment, with persistent redness as well. I did not have any scabs and quite minor swelling up to two days after my treatment. After day 2 is when my skin texture started to look very fragile and uneven and red patches appeared. I also never tweezed or plucked these hairs. Just providing you with some context as like I said I do see similarities. You mentioned the upper lip. I did get treatment there as well and my skin in that area is looking okay. Thank you so much in advance for your help in sharing this information with me. Hopefully we can help each other out :blush: