What about Tend Skin?

It seems pretty expensive. How long does it normally last in use with waxing?

Also, can anyone give me tips on how to avoid bumps in the future?

Tend Skin is expensive and must be applied liberally to get the effect.

A bottle will last many days to many months, depending on how large an area you use it on and how much you need to apply to avoid ingrowns.

Many find it worth the cost, though.

Applying witch hazel followed by 100% aloe gel after waxing can help reduce red bumps.

There is a less expensive version in drugstores with the same ingredient, it’s called Bumpfree i believe. Check the ingredients for acetasalytic acid (i prop have the spelling wrong) it’ll be the second or third ingredient.

Wow, I bought this stuff and it’s really taking care of my ingrowns. Now I go on their website and find out that it works as a deoderant, foot powder, ink remover… Maybe we should start putting this stuff in our milk… :smile:

[ July 16, 2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Malanagaster ]

Malan, i find it a cure all too. Blemishes, gone! Kills fungus. Oh, and i was developing a keloid on a piercing, this stuff ate right through it and it never came back. Long live tend skin.

A company called Paula’s Choice (www.paulaschoice.com) has a version without alcohol. It’s called skin relief treatment or something. Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/whatsnew/indexframe3.htm#skinrelief

I looked at the ingredients in Rubbing Alcohol and it contained isopropyl alcohol, the same as in Tend Skin.

Can it be used instead of Tend Skin and will it work the same way?

Tonic, Paula rocks! Her line of stuff is very good, and she even sent me a free copy of her book because we do the same stuff. I highly recommend anyone researching cosmetics check it out-- it’s called “Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.” She does for beauty what I do for hair removal.

Thanks for the link! :relaxed:

I’m not sure i understand your statement regarding the ingredients, but here’s Paula’s Ingredients:

Deionized Water, Acetylsalicylic Acid, L-Ascorbic Acid, Epilobium Angustifolium (Willowherb) Extract, Camelia Oleifera (Green Tea), Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA.

Tend skin has Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Acetylsaliclyclic acid, Cyclomethicone, Glycerine.

The active ingredient in these is the ‘Acetylsalicylic Acid’, it is the exfoliant that takes off the layer of skin causing the ingrown. It can be used in the same way. I have not had the pleasure of using hers yet, but as soon as i can afford to order i will, no doubt, because i like to use it on blemishes.

Anon: I’ve read messages by people claiming that you can get the same effect of Tend Skin by dissolving aspirin in water. That seems a little dubious to me, so I just went for the real thing.

The active ingredient is the beta-hydroxy acid acetylsalicylic acid, which is indeed in aspirin. You can also find salicylic acid in lquid wart removers. At high concentrations it eats right through skin, but at lower ones, it just exfoliates.

Aspirin doesn’t dissolve in water that well, which is why these products are alcohol-based.

I do not recommend mixing up your own due to the likelihood of a bad forumlation that is too strong or too weak. However, some people have done it.

what is tend skin and what will it do for you?

Tend Skin treats and prevents ingrowns. Here’s their website: www.tendskin.com